GTN - Why do people do this?

Screaming_Ziva

Let me preface this that I understand buy low / sell high to make credits in the game.

However, why do people do this:

https://i.imgur.com/iTk7zj7.jpg

I sell these all the time at that price and every now and then, someone will buy mine and relist them for ridiculous amounts of credits. I could understand if this was a cartel item or a rare drop that I priced too low but this is an item that I can craft an infinite amount of. As long as I keep crafting and listing them, they'll never sell at a higher price.

I do stuff like that all the time with things I can’t be bothered making or I don’t have the schematics for.

And why do I do it you ask? Because they sell and I make credits. I wouldn’t buy them if they didn’t sell.

If they are buying your stuff and relisting higher, then it’s obvious they are selling it or they wouldn’t do it,

The question you should be asking is how many do you have to sell to get the same amount they get for buying one of yours and selling it. If they are selling your 3,500,000 item at 75,000,000, I would suggest you are selling it too cheap and wasting your mats as well.

As an example, there are a few dyes I can’t make cause I’m too lazy to grind out the rep needed to get the schematic. So I buy other people’s and sell them for 10x what they list them for. They have to sell 10 of theirs to make the same credits I get from sell one of theirs.

And sure, I don’t sell them as fast, but I don’t need too or waste mats or time and I don’t need to sell 10x to get same amount of credits. Which means I’m not flooding the market with an over supply like they are. They can sell 10x a day and I sell one and I’m happy.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I do stuff like that all the time with things I can’t be bothered making or I don’t have the schematics for.

And why do I do it you ask? Because they sell and I make credits. I wouldn’t buy them if they didn’t sell.

If they are buying your stuff and relisting higher, then it’s obvious they are selling it or they wouldn’t do it,

The question you should be asking is how many do you have to sell to get the same amount they get for buying one of yours and selling it. If they are selling your 3,500,000 item at 75,000,000, I would suggest you are selling it too cheap and wasting your mats as well.

As an example, there are a few dyes I can’t make cause I’m too lazy to grind out the rep needed to get the schematic. So I buy other people’s and sell them for 10x what they list them for. They have to sell 10 of theirs to make the same credits I get from sell one of theirs.

And sure, I don’t sell them as fast, but I don’t need too or waste mats or time and I don’t need to sell 10x to get same amount of credits. Which means I’m not flooding the market with an over supply like they are. They can sell 10x a day and I sell one and I’m happy.

Alternatively, I could just keep crafting the items, and letting you buy me out. As long as I'm not selling for less than what it costs me to make them, I'm making money. My ingame progress isn't measured by how many credits I have, so long as I have enough to do the things I do, so it's a win, as far as I'm concerned.

Now some items probably move better than others, but I watched a pair of Revan's gloves, the other set, not the new one, sit in the GTN for over 6 months, listed at a price where I could buy the Alderaan SH, and open all the doors in the retreat. I wonder, which of those items am I going to spend my credits on???

Let me preface this that I understand buy low / sell high to make credits in the game.

However, why do people do this:

https://i.imgur.com/iTk7zj7.jpg

I sell these all the time at that price and every now and then, someone will buy mine and relist them for ridiculous amounts of credits. I could understand if this was a cartel item or a rare drop that I priced too low but this is an item that I can craft an infinite amount of. As long as I keep crafting and listing them, they'll never sell at a higher price.

There are a few reason,

1, it's an old item, probably a lot of people can't get the schematics now, so some people through them up hoping someone will be desperate to buy them.

2. Some people use the gtn as storage (sounds crazy I know .shrug) so they stick it up for crzy prices, till they need it

3. Others throw stuff up for high amounts, in the hopes that the lower ones either sell, and theirs's are left, or the countdown runs out, with the same effect, and someone who wants it, is desperate to buy it.

There are probably other reasons too. I've sold stuff that was at 1 million, but I put up for 50, just cause. And I came back, and it was sold, etc. And as what Trixxie wrote about dyes.

Jesus that seems way too overpriced, do these people actually get to sell those items:rak_02:

Sometimes, yup, sometimes no. It depends on the item :)

Edited by DarkTergon

i have play some other MMORPG's and in some off then are people also reselling items from other people.

and most off then shout for it that there buy other people items and sometime's its a good thing for somebody that has some items what nobody buy's for the real market price and sell it to a reseller and its there problem more to get it sold for a high price and that can also take a long long time before somebody buy's it.

but there are stuck with the item that is hard to sell more.

in this case with the suit is it good for you and bad for him.

you have the credits and not get stuck with the item any more.

but the reseller has all the problems now with it to get it sold and the chance is low maybe he get it sold for that price.

Alternatively, I could just keep crafting the items, and letting you buy me out. As long as I'm not selling for less than what it costs me to make them, I'm making money. My ingame progress isn't measured by how many credits I have, so long as I have enough to do the things I do, so it's a win, as far as I'm concerned.

Now some items probably move better than others, but I watched a pair of Revan's gloves, the other set, not the new one, sit in the GTN for over 6 months, listed at a price where I could buy the Alderaan SH, and open all the doors in the retreat. I wonder, which of those items am I going to spend my credits on???

Each to their own. I guess if you didn’t sell them so cheap I wouldn’t have anyone to buy them off ;)

I was just explaining to the OP why people like me buy his stuff and relist it. We don’t do it if it doesn’t sell at those higher prices.

Each to their own. I guess if you didn’t sell them so cheap I wouldn’t have anyone to buy them off ;)

I was just explaining to the OP why people like me buy his stuff and relist it. We don’t do it if it doesn’t sell at those higher prices.

Indeed. I have known people that don't do much of anything but play the GTN equivalent in other MMOs. I don't have the inclination for it, nor the desire to be the richest player on the server, I'm too easily distracted by "ooo, shiny, gotta have it".

Well, I've been selling these for a long time now and I'm making a very nice profit where I sell them at. And, I can almost guarantee you that what the reseller is listing them at isn't selling. There's a sweet spot for items and, when I raise my price, they sit and sit and sit.

Well, I've been selling these for a long time now and I'm making a very nice profit where I sell them at. And, I can almost guarantee you that what the reseller is listing them at isn't selling. There's a sweet spot for items and, when I raise my price, they sit and sit and sit.

he probably isn't, but then again, maybe one day, someone wants it really bad, and no one else has one, except that guy, and suddenly it sells for 75m. Surprisingly enough, this does happen. There's certain items I won't list for less than 30 million, even though people have had them for a lot less, because I know, at some point they will sell, and they do sell. You losing nothing by listing them, put up 48 items at reasonable prices, two at outrageous, it's only a couple of extra seconds, but still, if they sell....

How do you know he isn’t selling them? Just because your cheaper ones are there, doesn’t mean people aren’t buying his more expensive ones.

I know that seems strange, but I’ve tested this over and over where I list the same items on 6 different Alts at 6 different price points and more often than not my more expensive ones sell before the cheaper ones.

Have you considered that the reason yours sit there when you raise the price is because of other factors too. Also, maybe the other guy is patient and has many other listings.

I never understood people selling items at the highest price point when there's a decent volume of other listings of the same item for much cheaper.

The storage theory is weird, but it's a good explanation. If they were really intending to sell them I would think they're hoping for a noob who has no idea how to use the sorting or page buttons on the window.

This is what happens when they refuse to do an actual auction system that has bidding with no buyout - which should have been their first option to start putting the brakes on this run-away economy, but, yeah, no. Reasons™

I never understood people selling items at the highest price point when there's a decent volume of other listings of the same item for much cheaper.

Because there's always a chance that those listings will end, while the expensive one is still there, and at that particular moment, some one desperately wants the item, and buys it. Believe it or not, this happens more than you think.

The storage theory is weird, but it's a good explanation. If they were really intending to sell them I would think they're hoping for a noob who has no idea how to use the sorting or page buttons on the window.

True, personally I'd just leave it in my cargo bays, as it's a lot more hassle to keep putting it back up. But it's what some people have said they do /shrug.

I knew a guy once, in that "other" game, who used spend hours on the Auction House, buying low and re-listing high. He would turn a huge profit doing it, but it requires a lot patience and a keen understanding of the server's economy.

A better question is why people do this:

Improved Power Conversion Module sold for 200,000 Cr from the Ship Upgrades vendor, listed on GTN for 10,000,000 Cr.

Now that is just taking advantage of new players. You should not be able to list on the GTN anything that can be purchased from a vendor for regular credits. Particularly when said vendor is only like, 50m away from the GTN Kiosk!

I don't know if what I am about to say still happens in game or other games, but so-called credit farmers/sellers will try to "hide" their credits by distributing to other characters or friends. Say a credit-farmer and a credit-seller are working as a team. The credit-seller will list some cheap item for a ridiculous amount and then the credit-farmer comes along and buys that item with the credits he farmed. Then the credit-seller uses those credits to do the dirty work.

If my memory serves me correctly, back in 2.0 or 3.0 (can't remember exactly when,) some regular players caught on what was happening and would list cheap items (green quality items) for sky high prices. Careless credit-farmers trying to pass off their farmed credits unsuspectedly would buy the item, thinking the credits are going to their credit-seller cohort. Many regular players made a lot of credits because of it. LOL

Edited by nootsie

I knew a guy once, in that "other" game, who used spend hours on the Auction House, buying low and re-listing high. He would turn a huge profit doing it, but it requires a lot patience and a keen understanding of the server's economy.

A better question is why people do this:

Improved Power Conversion Module sold for 200,000 Cr from the Ship Upgrades vendor, listed on GTN for 10,000,000 Cr.

Now that is just taking advantage of new players. You should not be able to list on the GTN anything that can be purchased from a vendor for regular credits. Particularly when said vendor is only like, 50m away from the GTN Kiosk!

Here's my problem with that suggestion, some of the stuff you can buy at the starship vendor can be crafted. I've pointed out the Improved Power Conversion Module before, and if I see one, and happen to be on Fleet, I will post about how it's available at the vendor for much less. I even got a rather hostile whisper about doing so once. It's amazing how people hate to have their scams pointed out.

Pretty much a reflection of the problem in real world. Self centered greed. They only care about what they can make from it, not who can use the items on the market.

Yeh someone might buy it, but likely just people who play the GTN hard enough. Others, well we are kind of SOL, those who are not subbed, more so.

I refuse to sell at such extreme prices. It saddens me to know some greedy person might buy it and sell it at an out of reach price to the common player. But least there is a chance someone who actually needs/wants the item can get it, and I still get something from it by selling it.

...some of the stuff you can buy at the starship vendor can be crafted...

I'm near certain that this is not true. The Grades 1, 3, 5 and and some of the Grade 6 and 7 parts are vendor buyable, some for Credits (which is all I'm suggesting be restricted from the GTN) and some for Fleet Commendations. The Grades 2, 4, most of the 6 and the rest of the 7 parts are crafted by Cybertechs or are a mission reward. All the Cybertech schematics are either buyable or are a rare drop from Slicing missions.

If you could give me an example of a Starship part that is both buyable and craftable, I will stand corrected.

As I was saying in another thread, the currency in the game as it stands at this moment is borderline infinite and anyone selling anything is sure to get something for it. Sellers market is an understatement here. Any item in game is only worth what someone is willing to spend and apparently some have bottomless pockets of credits.

I'm near certain that this is not true. The Grades 1, 3, 5 and and some of the Grade 6 and 7 parts are vendor buyable, some for Credits (which is all I'm suggesting be restricted from the GTN) and some for Fleet Commendations. The Grades 2, 4, most of the 6 and the rest of the 7 parts are crafted by Cybertechs or are a mission reward. All the Cybertech schematics are either buyable or are a rare drop from Slicing missions.

If you could give me an example of a Starship part that is both buyable and craftable, I will stand corrected.

It's absolutely true, you can craft the grade 7 shields, off the top of my head. I'd have to look at what else my cybertech crafter has, but the Warfare module is also craftable, now that I think about it a bit.

...you can craft the grade 7 shields...

A Cybertech must craft the Grade 7 shield, because you cannot buy it from the vendor. The vendor sells the Schematic for the shield, not the shield itself. Try again.

A Cybertech must craft the Grade 7 shield, because you cannot buy it from the vendor. The vendor sells the Schematic for the shield, not the shield itself. Try again.

Why, you won't read it, right? Just like you snipped the rest of that post?

Edit: So I went and had me a look at the shop, and yep, can only buy the schematic for both the shields and the module I listed. However, the "fix" to not allowing them to be listed would be to make them bind on pickup, like the rest of the items are. No thanks. I transfer those items between toons on my account to upgrade other ships. Making them bound means that I would have no use for the comms on my toons with maxed ships, which nullifies actually using the ships, once they're done. That nullifies all the time spent working on them. Not a fan.

Edited by robertthebard

Why, you won't read it, right? Just like you snipped the rest of that post?

I read it all, I just didn't quote it all. You know what you wrote, there's no reason for me to repeat the whole thing.

...the "fix" to not allowing them to be listed would be to make them bind on pickup...

I agree. BoP would not be the correct solution, nor did I suggest making them BoP. What I suggested, was to not allow them to be listed on the GTN. There are items in the game that can be traded between players but cannot be listed on GTN. The Barnacle of the Eyeless for example.