Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Could video game regulation make AO games more common?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Could video game regulation make AO games more common?

MeerpALeerp
08.25.2019 , 02:39 PM | #1
In the coming months there will almost certainly be proposed legislation to restrict the sale of M rated games to minors. However, M is already rated for 17+ while the new regulations will not allow them to be sold to anyone under 18. Since it doesn't make sense to have two ratings for 18+, M and AO will likely be merged. This means that games that would previously be rated AO, will only get an M. This means that retailers will no longer be able to choose not to sell these games, as they have the same rating as titles that they never had any qualms about selling. Since the main reason you don't see any AO games today is because nobody will sell them, you will see more games with AO content, as they can now be sold along with other M games.
THE GRAN IS BACK

SteveTheCynic
08.26.2019 , 11:27 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by MeerpALeerp View Post
In the coming months there will almost certainly be proposed legislation to restrict the sale of M rated games to minors. However, M is already rated for 17+ while the new regulations will not allow them to be sold to anyone under 18. Since it doesn't make sense to have two ratings for 18+, M and AO will likely be merged. This means that games that would previously be rated AO, will only get an M. This means that retailers will no longer be able to choose not to sell these games, as they have the same rating as titles that they never had any qualms about selling. Since the main reason you don't see any AO games today is because nobody will sell them, you will see more games with AO content, as they can now be sold along with other M games.
It's a very, very off-topic question here, since SWTOR is rated T.

And don't overlook a very important word in the first sentence of your post: "proposed". Everything I ever learned about the American legislative process(1) indicates that it's really hard, in general, to get legislation out of the "proposed" state into the "passed in one house" state, and still harder to get it passed in the other house, and then harder again to get the differences between the two versions (passed-by-Senate and passed-by-House) resolved in a way that will pass. To say nothing of getting it past the Presidential veto process.

I'd say that most game companies will still want to rate games M for precisely the reasons you cite - M games can be sold easily to/through stores (even if 17-year-olds can't buy them any more), while AO games cannot.

(1) I'm an Englishman who lives in France, but in the 1980s I lived in the US(2), and that time included 10th to 12th grade high school American style, where I learned much about the externally-visible meanderings of the American government process.

(2) I like to joke that I entered the US in 1981 on a 90-day tourist visa and stayed for nine years, but in doing so I fail to mention the assorted bureaucratic processes by which that nine-year stay was legal. Green cards are neither green nor card, by the way.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.