Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Ben Irving leaving BioWare

Tahirri
08.15.2019 , 08:22 PM | #1
I see Ben "RNG is Exciting" Irving is leaving BioWare.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/08...er-eight-years
The Rain Legacy
- Zannaah, Khugenne, Phrike, Giss'utek'hemme, Artemisia Xerxes, Qandato, Darkefyre, Viggo
- A'mar, Storrmi, Alunnis, Vrokae, Tahiri Veila, Caz'ok, Myrinne, Heknus Cort

MadDutchman
08.15.2019 , 09:19 PM | #2
Would have liked to been a fly on the wall in the meetings that led up to that...
Demand: Are. We. There. Yet.

Use my referral link for free goodies.

Mubrak
08.15.2019 , 11:50 PM | #3
As much as I like a nice narrative with a villain geting what they deserve, this is more akin to the coach "quitting" when the team doesn't perform very well. Sure, this is expected in certain positions, but the new broom is always in danger of either not faring much better or, worse, driving away the talents.
6.0: Do not add that gaudy flashing icon above every vendor's head without an option to turn it off.
Let us sort our companion list and hide or kick out the unwanted ones!

http://www.swtor.com/r/rszTdG

MikeCobalt
08.16.2019 , 12:32 AM | #4
Ben Irving seems to still be quite the "Company Man (tool)" considering his quote there
Ben Irving... I believe Anthem has a bright future there is a great team working on it and I look forward to following its progress (and playing it!) from the sidelines,.
Pfft. Following the "Bean Counters" and building what the boss's dictate instead of what the players (Subscribers) would like.
As much as I would really like to post something toxic this just seems more like watch and walk away kinda situation.

TonyTricicolo
08.16.2019 , 04:20 AM | #5
He had his time, twice. Now it's time for him to fade away....
TONY NOVA SWTOR Shadowlands/Star Forge
-STRYDER- SWG Sunrunner/SWGLegends
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/vNnj3G

Transcendent
08.17.2019 , 02:43 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tahirri View Post
I see Ben "RNG is Exciting" Irving is leaving BioWare.
It is what it is, I wish him no ill will regardless of how I think he handled both this game and Anthem. Good luck to him.

Thanks to everyone who has used my Refer a Friend link over the years, may the force be with you.

Celise
08.18.2019 , 12:56 AM | #7
So what if he is leaving, that is not my business or my problem. Frankly with that GC system he brought to this game and almost destroyed this game, good riddance to him.

When he started smiling in that livestream, boasting about how he showcased GC to his paymasters and said it was the best thing since the invention of the wheel and then mentioned he was moving off to another project, and then when 5.0 came out and saw this mass exodus of users. it was not only unforgivable but he used all of us and spat in our faces on his way out.

I've disliked GC since launch and more so since that livestream, i hate the system and want it gone and there is no other answer in my mind and never will be. even when it becomes RC i still want it gone, because it is a legacy of something Ben Irving left behind and EA is parading it around like it was some kind of trophy.

OlBuzzard
08.18.2019 , 07:06 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Celise View Post
So what if he is leaving, that is not my business or my problem. Frankly with that GC system he brought to this game and almost destroyed this game, good riddance to him.

When he started smiling in that livestream, boasting about how he showcased GC to his paymasters and said it was the best thing since the invention of the wheel and then mentioned he was moving off to another project, and then when 5.0 came out and saw this mass exodus of users. it was not only unforgivable but he used all of us and spat in our faces on his way out.

I've disliked GC since launch and more so since that livestream, i hate the system and want it gone and there is no other answer in my mind and never will be. even when it becomes RC i still want it gone, because it is a legacy of something Ben Irving left behind and EA is parading it around like it was some kind of trophy.
I can personally understand all of the frustrations of the GC system. However, just how certain can anyone be that someone gave instructions to Ben (and perhaps other group members) to come up with a system to slow progression and or provide a means to substitute game activity without the expense of adding a great deal of more content.

Additional content usually includes a much larger scale of involvement and a much larger staff to do correctly. Hours and hours of grinding in order to complete achievements and earn pieces and parts that eventually can be cashed in for BiS gear ... that takes a lot less !

IMO... he did the job he was hired to do !
(████████████████████████████]:|█[ioi]█[|||████]|█|

Rion_Starkiller
08.19.2019 , 09:30 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by OlBuzzard View Post
IMO... he did the job he was hired to do !
This is true.
I blame him to a degree, but let's be real: RNG crates are an EA thing, not inherently a Ben Irving thing. See Battlefront.
-Beruhl, NiM Space Barbie (ง︡'-'︠)ง
(\/)(,,,,)(\/) ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱ ̵̱(̢ ̡͇̅└͇̅┘͇̅ (▤8כ−◦
i do what i want major league memes can i borrow a stim?

DarthCasus
08.19.2019 , 04:42 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
This is true.
I blame him to a degree, but let's be real: RNG crates are an EA thing, not inherently a Ben Irving thing. See Battlefront.
Good thing they turned that one around but now look at Apex Legends. Look at Mass Effect: Andromeda's multiplayer progression crawl. Look at their only substantial followup to it that added a ridiculous amount of grind to it on top of the RNG. Look at Inquisition's attempt to normalize the time consuming war table missions. This has been the case with any studio under EA so long as they can find a way to exploit the goodwill in the dev/player relationship.

He accomplished what he was expected to for the time being.
Quote: Originally Posted by DragonTora View Post
ur being the "leet" one by letting the internet raise ur children and I would flash the bird to u if i could noob.
Quote: Originally Posted by BarrinMarshal
I know your part of the "Forum Apologist Five" group but stop