why is pvp considered a mini game and Pve isn't?

Capt_Beers

To be clear when I say Pve I mean flash points and operations.

There is no difference between instanced warzones and instanced fp's/ops. Neither one has any appreciable effect on the world at large. if no one downs the current end boss of the latest OP there will be absolutely no difference in the game. So I don't understand why instanced warzones are a mini game and instanced ops/fp's aren't.

So why do all the carebears get all high and mighty calling pvp a mini game? If anything it's less of a mini game than Pve since making my team win directly affects the other teams progression (they get less rewards, not much less but still less).

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no difference between instanced warzones and instanced fp's/ops. Neither one has any appreciable effect on the world at large. if no one downs the current end boss of the latest OP there will be absolutely no difference in the game. So I don't understand why instanced warzones are a mini game and instanced ops/fp's aren't.

So why do all the carebears get all high and mighty calling pvp a mini game? If anything it's less of a mini game than Pve since making my team win directly affects the other teams progression (they get less rewards, not much less but still less).

main draw of this game is the story driven PVE content. OP are the "end game" culmination of PVE. Flashpoints are a way to gain gear in prep for OPS. PVP is kind of an add on to the game that is not the main draw of this game. Much like GSF it is addition to the main game, which is why most people consider it a "mini" game.

Right or wrong, those are the reasons for most.

main draw of this game is the story driven PVE content. OP are the "end game" culmination of PVE. Flashpoints are a way to gain gear in prep for OPS. PVP is kind of an add on to the game that is not the main draw of this game. Much like GSF it is addition to the main game, which is why most people consider it a "mini" game.

Right or wrong, those are the reasons for most.

The operation story lines are completely separate from the class stories, which many would say are the biggest draw this game had. They aren't even dependent on each other, I have never done EC but I have done some of the ones that came after it. So if they were important to the story I wouldn't be able to skip them. If literally no one completes an op the next one will come just the same.

Because PvE is Player versus Environment. Whenever you have a toon online your in an environment, therefore your always PvE'ing. However PvP only occurs with other players which are not always around, therefore PvP is a mini part of the game compared to PvE.

Heck even in warzones there is PvE. Like when that sorc LoS'es you around the pillar, that pillar is part of the environment so you are even PvE'ing in warzones.

:cool::D

Edited by Zoom_VI

Because this is a PvE based focused game, everything else that isn't PvE are just minigames.

The reason I see most for pvp being called a mini game is it had no impact on the rest of the world. Neither does Pve, Pve once again meaning ops/fp's, it's all instanced. So why are Pve instances more important? Especially since you don't need to do any of the previous operations to do the later ones.

Edited by Capt_Beers

The reason I SE most fir pvp being called a mini game is it had no impact on the rest of the world. Neither does Pve, Pve once again meaning ops/fp's, it's all instanced. So why are Pve instances more important? Especially since you don't need to do any of the previous operations to do the later ones.

PvE isn't just restricted to OPs and FPs, it also includes the questing and story based content of every planet.

Mostly because they're insecure nerds and it helps them feel better about their choice to avoid fighting other players ING. It's kind of sad since it's just a silly inconsequential game, not real.

You seem Bitter that other people don't want to waste their time in PvP.

The operation story lines are completely separate from the class stories, which many would say are the biggest draw this game had. They aren't even dependent on each other, I have never done EC but I have done some of the ones that came after it. So if they were important to the story I wouldn't be able to skip them. If literally no one completes an op the next one will come just the same.

The bonus series from Belsavis was to release the Dread Council

In Explosive conflict you Defeated Kephass who was saved by the Dread council and came back in Terror From Beyond. From there you go to S&V where you defeat one memeber of the Dread Council before going to Oricon and Deafeating the Council directly in Dread Palace.

Flashpoints are directly related to the story content regarding Revan that ties directly into Taral V and Maelstrom prison. Ilum ends with Battle of Ilum and False Emperor where you defeat Malgus who started the current war with his attack on the Jedi Temple.

I would say thats all pretty much story driven content. Most of the FP and OPS are based on story arcs from specific planets and enhance the larger story.

As for class story they cover your rise to fame/power where post story you have achieved your place in the galaxy and now play your part in the war.

The planetary storyline of Belsavis has the imp characters freeing the Dread Masters.

The Dread Masters then orchestrate the events of Explosive Conflicts.

They then go on to resurrect Kephess and create the events of Terror From Beyond.

They set their sights on Belsavis again with Section X.

Then they set up the arms deal on Darvannis in Scum and Villainy.

After that is the events on Oricon which lead into their final destruction in Dread Fortress and Dread Palace.

I'm also fairly sure that I remember something about them being involved with the Eternity Vault and Karagga's Palce, but I could be mistaken.

All of the events in the operations are interwoven throughout the events of the game. Some more than others, but you're directed towards the operations as a continuation of the game's story. On the other hand, at no point are you directed into PVP by the story, and it fully exists outside the events of the game. Even GSF had greater care taken into fitting it into the story than the Warzones and Arenas do.

Edited by MillionsKNives

PvE isn't just restricted to OPs and FPs, it also includes the questing and story based content of every planet.

I'm just using Pve as short hand for operations and flash points. I'm on my phone and it's a pain to tap that out every time.

So I don't see why that means Pve instances aren't the same mini game as pvp instances. What separates them? The devs balance based on both so why is the Pve mini game special?

I'm just using Pve as short hand for operations and flash points. I'm on my phone and it's a pain to tap that out every time.

So I don't see why that means Pve instances aren't the same mini game as pvp instances. What separates them? The devs balance based on both so why is the Pve mini game special?

You'll find your answer with the above posts by other users.

Edited by Reno_Tarshil

You seem Bitter that other people don't want to waste their time in PvP.

Nah ah, OP didn't say all that don't PVP. He mentioned the high and mighty ones. That's who I'm talking about.

I couldn't care less what people do with their time ING, it's their time.

Edited by Joesixxpack

You see that's where you guys are mistaken. They are in no way woven into the sorry of anything. They are referenced but you don't have to complete anything in order to do them. They aren't integral to anything. You don't have to defeat kephess in EC for him to be in TFB. You aren't required to do any of the previous PO's to get the quests for the newest ones, they are just as disconnected from each other as the warzones are.

Like I said if no one, and I mean literally no one, would have downed kephess in ec he would have been referred to as dead in all subsequent content until tfb brought him back.

The warzones are connected to the same stories. Just before ec came out we got novare coast, which is on denova and is supposed to represent the landing prior to the events of ec. We got ahg alongside tfb. So the warzones ate tired in to the same stories just as loosely as the ops.

You see that's where you guys are mistaken. They are in no way woven into the sorry of anything. They are referenced but you don't have to complete anything in order to do them. They aren't integral to anything. You don't have to defeat kephess in EC for him to be in TFB. You aren't required to do any of the previous PO's to get the quests for the newest ones, they are just as disconnected from each other as the warzones are.

Like I said if no one, and I mean literally no one, would have downed kephess in ec he would have been referred to as dead in all subsequent content until tfb brought him back.

They are referenced, especially on Oricon. If you are an empire player and actuall freed them as part of the Belsavis story they reference that.

They are referenced, especially on Oricon. If you are an empire player and actuall freed them as part of the Belsavis story they reference that.

So small bits of text/speech are it takes to go from mini game to main game?

It 'is' a mini-game, but there's no sense in getting upset over it.

With PVP, one side has to lose in order for the system to work. It doesn't matter how good or bad the players are, one half of them 'will have to lose.'

With PVE, everyone can win if they try hard enough. That generates a sense of cooperation and teamwork and mutual success that makes everyone happy. Sure, if players are bad, the whole raid/FP can fall apart amid cries of 'noob' being flung around at each other, but those are rare when compared to the general toxic state of the PVP crowd.

PvP is not a mini game. It is THE game. Everything else is just glitter and cheese.

It is certainly the root of class nerfs, since you can bet that the mobs aren't coming to forums qqing about specific classes being OP. Really though, that's the case in any MMO with PvP enabled. I don't even have to visit the PvP forums here to know that if I were a Kleenex salesman, I could make a fortune selling Kleenex there. I mean seriously, the only threads I see posted on the General forum that concern PvP are QQ threads, such as this very thread. If you substituted "Mommy, that mean PvE player said my PvP was a minigame", it wouldn't change the context of the OP, would it? Then there was that special snowflake qqing about rancor mounts, that caving to the, in his own words, special snowflakes and making a different skinned rancor made him a less special snowflake.

I'd bet the real PvP players wish some of the more "vocal" posters here would shut up, since they do paint a picture that doesn't fit with the image they'd like to have: Hardcore players that know how to overcome different classes w/out having to come here begging the devs to do it for them.

So small bits of text/speech are it takes to go from mini game to main game?

It was never a Mini-game to begin with. It's PvE regardless if you are just referring to OPs and FPs it's still PvE. And since this is a Story Driven PvE Primary based MMO, you can't really expect PvP to be more than a mini-game.

It 'is' a mini-game, but there's no sense in getting upset over it.

With PVP, one side has to lose in order for the system to work. It doesn't matter how good or bad the players are, one half of them 'will have to lose.'

With PVE, everyone can win if they try hard enough. That generates a sense of cooperation and teamwork and mutual success that makes everyone happy. Sure, if players are bad, the whole raid/FP can fall apart amid cries of 'noob' being flung around at each other, but those are rare when compared to the general toxic state of the PVP crowd.

Not seeing how this addresses OP's question....