A Secret Desire of the Sith Inquisitor?

TechPianist

Before I begin philosophising about a possibility that came to my mind after I've played the Inq story again just recently, I want to emphasise that

a) following contains spoilers (I'll wrap it with spoiler anyway).

b) this accumulation of thoughts is merely a theory of mine, perchance silly. I thought it would be worth sharing for people interested in engaging with the personality of the Inquisitor a bit more thoroughly.

c) this theory is highly experimental. If you advocate sound evidence and dislike far-fetched stories and wild speculations, you might want to skip this.

So let's get started.

Overall situation in Chapter 2 & Chapter 3

As you might well know, the Inquisitor's plot revolves around the aftermath of Zash's death and his power play with Thanaton. Here in bold, because he is one of the main parties in my theory. From the very beginning, we get to know that, although he raised Zash to the title of Darth, he ardently loathed her for her audacity to tinker with rituals and ignore the traditions of the Sith. This behaviour also tarnished her most important apprentice, Occlus (as I will refer to the Inquisitor here). Having spoiled the purity of Occlus, Thanaton quickly decided that he, as a blight in the Sith Order, has to die. We know that. After all, he tried to kill Occlus when he returned with the writings from Darth Andru's tomb. But I conjecture, despite all the insurmountable disagreements there are between Occlus and Thanaton, there is a special bond between them. A bond, a connection, more than just the relationship between Lord and Darth. I have reason to presume that Occlus, somewhere deep inside of him, there is something looking at Thanaton as father.

Indicators

The very thing that triggered this assumption was when I did my quests on Voss. Again, as you might recall, Occlus seeks mental healing with a specific ritual of the Voss. For this, he had to become a dreamwalker, the "outlandish" Force users among the Voss. Whether it was in this dream or in the Dark Heart, I do not know. But I do distinctly remember Thanaton saying in Occlus' dream: "I love you like my own child...". In all of his dreams, Thanaton has a calm and relaxed voice. In real life, Thanaton speaks in a more 'rigorous' manner so to speak.

Does Occlus wish for his voice to be that?

Sure. Might have been futile gibberish Thanaton uttered to be polite. But let us expand on this. While Sith have been never known for their sentimentality (and hardly ever flinch from killing their own family if need be), Occlus, having been a slave, must have learned to cope with his fate. 'Course, even as slave, you might very much prefer to be a lone wolf but by no means is it improbable that you will be attached to your family at least a bit in such dire circumstances.

"But we don't know anything about his family!". Correct.

However, it does not matter whether he has been with his family until he was chosen to be an acolyte. I will explain why. Let's assume he and his family have been separated early on.

You do get to know anyway that everyone has a father and a mother, and it is the nature of beings to receive guidance by figures like these. It is unlikely that Occlus was chosen for outstanding ambition. Part of it might have just as well been sheer coincidence. It was noticed he was capable of using the Force, using it more effectively than others. That is why he was special. But being special among slavery is hardly worth anything. You are one of many. And there you are, thrown into the unforgiving, merciless, relentless and ghastly world of competition with others yearning after your life. Whatever mask you put on, it strains you.

As slave, you can escape into the trance of executing your monotonous duties. Think your past and your feelings away. But then, out of the blue, you have the chance to become Sith, obviously, the passionate and emotional side of the Force. Anger is your fuel, and anger is what Occlus might have suppressed all his life long. The life as acolyte, it stirred it all up. "Who is my father, who is my mother?". Having been deprived of knowing what family means, you usually search replacement. Fall into idolatry. And at some point, Occlus found his father. Or the person that most resembles it. Thanaton. A Dark Council member, proud, assertive. Even if intransigent and slightly narrow-minded, he is someone an acolyte, a Sith, a Lord of the Sith can look up to.

Also, let's contemplate another thing.

At the beginning of Chapter 2, Thanaton asks Occlus to retrieve the writings of Darth Andru. Foolish, as we know, as it proves to be merely a death trap. But Occlus nevertheless ventures into it. Why? Later on, Kallig even puts emphasis on how light-heartedly he entered the tomb. You could assume a Sith Lord might know better. In all likelihood, he would. Apparently, there is something that made Occlus want to do it. His admiration for Thanaton. This is self-evidently only a possibility, but there are few other reasons why someone would be trusting a rather remote man so quickly. Occlus hankers for a father role in his life.

From the perspective of Thanaton, there is nothing like that. He might be railing against Occlus slightly reluctantly. "It pains me to do this...", he reacts at the baffling return of Occlus from the tomb.

Ultimately, however, he displays a good deal of determination to kill Occlus. Almost tragic.

Golly, that was a bit more than I intended to write. Anyway, those of you who doubt, no worries. I think the likelihood of this thin myself, but I do genuinely believe that there has been left room for such presumptions. Thanks for reading and I hope you have something to contribute. :)

Thank god this wasn't what I thought it was gonna be after reading a title, dodged a bullet on that one.

That "I love you like my own child" line, I always thought it actually reflected what Thanaton thought of the Inquisitor; even though there really isn't much reason for him to have these feelings for you as interactions between the 2 are ge nerally pretty short. Still, I felt what was meant to be expressed there was genuinely what Thanaton felt and genuine regret that he "had to" oppose you (the "dream" in my mind is the closest thing an outsider can experience to a Mystic's vision). On a side note, it also would make sense that he really likes you considering how he ordered a "respectful burial" instead of just throwing you out the window of the citadel.

Anyway, if that was correct and Thanaton genuinely felt like that about the Inquisitor (at least for the most part), even though there was not much reason for him to feel that way, it would kinda make sense for the Inquisitor to reciprocate those feelings in some way.

Also it's Occulus.

Edited by Darkelefantos

Anyway, if that was correct and Thanaton genuinely felt like that about the Inquisitor (at least for the most part), even though there was not much reason for him to feel that way, it would kinda make sense for the Inquisitor to reciprocate those feelings in some way.

That might just as well be the case. I forgot the fact that those dreams are the closest thing to the authentic visions. In that sense, it does beg the question whether Thanaton respects Occlus more than is made apparent.

By the way, I initially thought it was "Occultus". So I've had luck to be neutral when I finished the story. :D

I definitely feel like my inquisitor would cling to the parental figures in his life which he probably didn't have as a slave. Initially Zash is very kind to the inquisitor and very motherly, it must have seemed like a blessing compared to where he came from. I thought that scene on Voss was interesting as is Thanaton's regret that he has to kill you and his respect for you but I feel like the father figure role is filled more by Kallig.

As with other stories and other writers there exist glimpses of things that could have been but were not really fleshed out for development or timetable issues.

There was a similar puzzling line in the Imperial Agent storyline, about the Red Blade saying something to the Imperial Agent, people were really confused about this and they didn't know what it meant, so I simply approached the writer for the Agent story and asked him what it meant, he simply responded it was ideas for a possible story he had or something but he simply couldn't follow up on it.

This could very much be the case of Thanaton seeing the Inquisitor with fatherly eyes but as this is not really a classic RPG with very long dialogue there was really not much time to dedicate to that idea.

I definitely feel like my inquisitor would cling to the parental figures in his life which he probably didn't have as a slave. Initially Zash is very kind to the inquisitor and very motherly, it must have seemed like a blessing compared to where he came from. I thought that scene on Voss was interesting as is Thanaton's regret that he has to kill you and his respect for you but I feel like the father figure role is filled more by Kallig.

I actually kinda felt zash was more flirty and naughty hinting at the potential of something. Weird twist when the khem thing happened.

Also when I read the title I just thought that my inquisitor wanted a sandwich.

Edited by samhinch

I actually kinda felt zash was more flirty and naughty hinting at the potential of something. Weird twist when the khem thing happened.

same for me in bold, since I am playing my cyborg male inquisitor he found Zash attractive thought she was flirty and naughty and I was actually hoping that Zash would be romanceable and then the whole Khem thing happened I chose zash over khem so zash is around and I am hoping that something will happen that zash will get a body again well a female body of course lol and then zash would become a party member of my inquisitor and to romance her

that is what my inquisitor desires he desires zash as a romance option if not then continue to romance lana

Edit: my sith inquisitor thinks that Zash would be a better romance option that Ashara just like Lana Beniko is a better romance option than Ashara

He my inquisitor desires the ability to turn Ashara and is pissed that can't turn Ashara at all

Edited by loctys

same for me in bold, since I am playing my cyborg male inquisitor he found Zash attractive thought she was flirty and naughty and I was actually hoping that Zash would be romanceable and then the whole Khem thing happened I chose zash over khem so zash is around and I am hoping that something will happen that zash will get a body again well a female body of course lol and then zash would become a party member of my inquisitor and to romance her

that is what my inquisitor desires he desires zash as a romance option if not then continue to romance lana

Edit: my sith inquisitor thinks that Zash would be a better romance option that Ashara just like Lana Beniko is a better romance option than Ashara

He my inquisitor desires the ability to turn Ashara and is pissed that can't turn Ashara at all

See this guy gets it.

That would work and actually be fine for your inquisitor, but for mine it doesn't.

...and I am not sure if the ritual on Voss shows the inquisitor's...emotions...hopes?. Anything to do at all with the inquisitor? Imo it is just a cruel trick the ghosts play (and control) on the SI....

...and if what you are saying is true then the secret desire of my female inquisitor is to ramance a fat sith dude (body type 3....was in Aldaraan) which is eww no - just no:)

.......oh and overpower...a Wampa(?) ...and the SI is not so pathetic:)

As for going to confront the ghost because Thanatos (as a father figure) told you so....mmm....I suppose that is good headcannon, but mine is that she simply did not have a choice. She did it for the same reason she risked getting so much power so quickly (and almost killing herself...). It was either go and do as you are told like a good girl/servant or be killed by a dark council member (save to assume your death is a given (especially at that point), unless your SI is very very arrogant).

....for wanting a family (is it possible for the player species to not have such desire?)...if you have the force when you are still a slave...is it not very likely that you end up falling to the dark side and discarding (even if you had them) any desire for family and such bs?

Perhaps we each see what we wanted to see, she didn't come across as flirtatious to me though men and women probably see flirtatiousness differently. My friendliness is so often mistaken for flirting in real life.

I think that it is a well-thought out idea for a possible background for the inquisitor - but:

it is only one of many. The reason being, we don't have an "official" backstory of the reason our inquisitor was in slavery in the first place.

This gives us the freedom to make up our own backstory for our character.

For instance, it could be the case that he/she comes from a family that were all slaves, or not, have living relatives - or not. Many different possibilities, all of which could have a separate novel written about them, and why they make the choices they do!