Can we, as a community, eliminate the "Grass" and "Snow" in Alderaan?

Bewoulff

I'll admit, I don't pay attention to that. I don't care which side has grass or snow. In fact, both have snow and both have grass. I say we go off of the already established and universally understood "north, south, east, west" directions. I can't tell you how many games of Alderaan or Voidstar I've played where people say "right" when if their screen is oriented north they are in fact "left". Or people say grass and I have no idea what they are talking about. The minimap is always oriented north, so this makes it the most accurate way to call directions.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can't always be oriented "North". Both teams cannot possible have two opposing northern directions. The map can always face "up", which is different from North. Snow and Grass are easy landmarks for people that understand there is no North.

In fact due to this obvious attempt at trolling, I propose we start up a "Grass and Snow" campaign. In fact, we should rename "Civil War" to "Grass and Snow"

Time to get out of Mom's basement me thinks ;)

You say Grass or Snow you know EXACTLY where to go no matter what side you started from, you say East West that is going to change every match that you start on the other side. I would prefer knowing exactly where to go no matter where I start from and make it super easy.

Left /right ; Grass /snow. East /west . etc. Why does it matter? they are all valid directions.

Stop forcing your preference upon others. When u make your 8man team, u can call it whatever u like.

NO, East or West DOES NOT change if you use your minimap. It is ALWAYS oriented north. No matter what direction you start from, it is always oreiented north. And it matters because Snow and grass need to be explained. West and East are already established and accurate. Unless public school failed you.

You say Grass or Snow you know EXACTLY where to go no matter what side you started from, you say East West that is going to change every match that you start on the other side. I would prefer knowing exactly where to go no matter where I start from and make it super easy.

Nope, East and West are always constant when going off the minimap.

I'll admit, I don't pay attention to that. I don't care which side has grass or snow. In fact, both have snow and both have grass. I say we go off of the already established and universally understood "north, south, east, west" directions. I can't tell you how many games of Alderaan or Voidstar I've played where people say "right" when if their screen is oriented north they are in fact "left". Or people say grass and I have no idea what they are talking about. The minimap is always oriented north, so this makes it the most accurate way to call directions.

I don't know which civil war you've been playing, but east is nothing but snow. there is no grass at east. Here is a screenshot:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=swtor+alderaan+civil+war&um=1&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADFA_enCA489CA489&biw=1440&bih=688&tbm=isch&tbnid=qjoydDzDu_UeeM:&imgrefurl=http://torwars.com/2012/05/31/inquisitor-weekly-alderaan-strategem/&docid=DhKik44eeVNazM&imgurl=http://torwars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/alderaa2n.jpg&w=484&h=452&ei=0f_hT-3cGuKL2AWYjfndCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=178&vpy=287&dur=1592&hovh=217&hovw=232&tx=151&ty=117&sig=113203410329612764965&page=2&tbnh=154&tbnw=151&start=18&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:18,i:166

There is a little bit of snow at west, but it is primarly surrounded by grass. Here is a screenshot:

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=swtor+alderaan+civil+war&um=1&hl=en&sa=N&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4ADFA_enCA489CA489&biw=1440&bih=688&tbm=isch&tbnid=0Qnrz98eW3G_qM:&imgrefurl=http://video.alienwarearena.com/movie/2854&docid=uYFmXbT-hr3snM&imgurl=http://video.alienwarearena.com/screenshots/view/15825.jpg&w=1920&h=1080&ei=kwDiT52fA4qQ2AXkno3PCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=755&vpy=90&dur=733&hovh=168&hovw=300&tx=120&ty=99&sig=113203410329612764965&page=2&tbnh=105&tbnw=186&start=18&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:18,i:139

West = grass, East = snow. I hope this clears up any confusion. I personally have no preference on what people say, as long as they say how many enemies are incoming.

West = grass, East = snow. I hope this clears up any confusion. I personally have no preference on what people say, as long as they say how many enemies are incoming.

But why do we need to add the extra thought process, especially for newer players who don't know yet. If someone says "go west", I go west. If someone says "grass", I have make the connection that grass is west and I need to go west.

But why do we need to add the extra thought process, especially for newer players who don't know yet. If someone says "go west", I go west. If someone says "grass", I have make the connection that grass is west and I need to go west.

The extra thought process comes into play from the fact that the mini map is backwards and has east on the left side....thats what is *********** this whole process up. I don't have a problem as I just switch it in my head when the say east/left/snow ....which are all the same side

New players are going to be confused no matter what. Anyone with even a limited amount of situational awareness can understand either East/West or Snow/Grass. Even on Voidstar if someone simply says other side if I look around and see my whole time fighting at my door I can use my head and determine this isn't the side they are referring to. Sure an actual direction is a fraction faster but it isn't game ending.

If you don't have any situational awareness well then nothing can help you.

Edited by LukeSaberRattler

The extra thought process comes into play from the fact that the mini map is backwards and has east on the left side....thats what is *********** this whole process up. I don't have a problem as I just switch it in my head when the say east/left/snow ....which are all the same side

East is east, west is west. The minimap is never backwards.

1. I think it's pretty safe to say that grass and snow or both universally understood as well. Also safe to say that more people on this planet recognize grass as being green and snow being white than people that are familiar with a compass or map. (If you don't believe me ask the tribes of south Africa) Novarre Coast excluded since the nodes are actually named by "south. east and west)

2. Right and Left on voidstar are and should be based on direction from spawn and always have been. I have had very little problems with this on my servers.

3. Both of the above are probably easier and quicker for MOST people to recognize as unfortunately many people are not so familiar with it that they can recognize it in split seconds where as EVERYONE IS familiar with their right and left, grass and snow since being a small child.

4. I feel these options are possibly better for the fact that even though in some cases and in some people's opinions they may be less "accurate"... they are however more recognizable and can be computed by the brain faster by most people giving an even quicker reaction time.

5. WHO CARES???? :rolleyes:

Edited by UGLYMRJ

It's not that complex of a thought process. Pre-transfers, I don't think I've ever heard east/west on Port Nowhere (imp side, at least). It's always been snow/grass. We just got used to that. Plus it's easy to see which side is snow and grass from mid.

Also, you avoid the frantic "INC WEAST" problem with snow/grass ;)

But as others have pointed out, you should know both terms. They will both always be used.

This is pretty much exactly where I'm coming from. I don't have "grass" and "snow" ingrained into my psyche from decades of learning.

Cardinal directions are far more intuitive for me.

With all that said, I don't really care what you call them, as long as you DO call them when necessary. The time it takes for me to figure out what the heck you're talking about isn't worth complaining about as long as we save the node.

NO, East or West DOES NOT change if you use your minimap. It is ALWAYS oriented north. No matter what direction you start from, it is always oreiented north. And it matters because Snow and grass need to be explained. West and East are already established and accurate. Unless public school failed you.

You quoted the wrong guy.

Nope, East and West are always constant when going off the minimap.

Of course east and west are constant that is the entire basis of the words east and west and the concept of a map. East being left or right from the start area is going to change depending on where you start. The point is you can say grass and no one needs to look at where they are and compare that to the map they know exactly where the help is neeeded.