Guns!

Xethis

Im currently leveling a Sniper and absolutely loving it. Specially compared to my Operative lol. Anyways my question is about the Sniper Rifle vrs Blaster Rifle. I am using a female character for the first time and just like the look of the Blaster Rifles over the Sniper Rifles. I see that the Sniper Rifles in general have a much higher min damage so I know that over time this rifle will perform better over the Blaster Rifle. My question is, Is it that much of a difference. Even though the min damage may be 40 damage pnts higher, your still usually only looking at 5-10 damage points higher for an average.

Am I hurting my damage quite a bit by using the Blaster Rifle, or is it only a marginal increase in damage overall.

The sniper rifle is an upgrade over blaster rifle just as assault cannon is an upgrade over blaster rifle or teo blaster pistols are an upgrade over one. Always use sniper rifle.

Aight cool thanks for the info, im still only level 39 so at these levels the difference in damage seems pretty small. Also I read your guide, good stuff bro thank you. As I level new classes I always have tons of questions. I am pretty OCD when it comes to learning them, I want to play them as well as I play my main lol. Anyways thanks alot for that it helped me tremendously.

Have you made any videos that can show case the different capabilities of the different specs. Its one thing to have all the info laid out in black and white, but seeing it in action is priceless.

Thank you very much!

Unfortunately my PC cannot handle video recording to make some quality vids. You should be fine anyway, every extra class that you had experience previously with will make you a stronger sniper player.

Edited by NoTomorrow

The Tac-HUD heavy sniper rifle (cartel market) is a very nice sniper. I bought it at level 23 and I'm still using at level 42. It looks alot like the AWP from Counter strike if you ever played that. In general, it's just a very 'snipery-looking' sniper, and not like the other ones that look like blaster riles with a longer barrel.

I can't find a Sniper rifle I like the looks and sound of. I actually like some of the cooler high tech lookin.g rifles rather than the snipery ones most others seem to like. But I'm using the searing whatever. The one you get for free from class quests, maybe end of chapter 1 or 2. It sounds to me like my old car starting. I did have an operative stand on me and use rifle shots once and one of their cartel blasters had a real cool sound, but I haven't found it in a sniper rifle.

I spend WAY too much on sniper rifles, trying a bunch of different ones out just for the.sound they make using regular rifle shots.

Im currently leveling a Sniper and absolutely loving it. Specially compared to my Operative lol. Anyways my question is about the Sniper Rifle vrs Blaster Rifle. I am using a female character for the first time and just like the look of the Blaster Rifles over the Sniper Rifles. I see that the Sniper Rifles in general have a much higher min damage so I know that over time this rifle will perform better over the Blaster Rifle. My question is, Is it that much of a difference. Even though the min damage may be 40 damage pnts higher, your still usually only looking at 5-10 damage points higher for an average.

Am I hurting my damage quite a bit by using the Blaster Rifle, or is it only a marginal increase in damage overall.

There a couple snipers, mostly from early game but still moddable, that resemble blaster rifles... I think the one from black talon does.

The Tac-HUD heavy sniper rifle (cartel market) is a very nice sniper. I bought it at level 23 and I'm still using at level 42. It looks alot like the AWP from Counter strike if you ever played that. In general, it's just a very 'snipery-looking' sniper, and not like the other ones that look like blaster riles with a longer barrel.

This is also my new favorite. I grabbed it because I liked the look, but was pleasantly surprised at how awesome the sound effects are with it. I had not realized that different guns have different sound effects -- I assumed all sniper rifles would sound the same. Unfortunately you can't preview the sound when CTRL-clicking it, but if sound matters as much to any of you as the look then give this gun a try.

My Sniper has that level 20 moddable Custom-built Sniper Rifle that you can make with Armstech. That's the best-looking sniper rifle I've seen so far; it has that classic sniper rifle look. It's slender, all stained wood and blued metal, and has a scope and a really long barrel with a flash suppressor on the end. It's gorgeous; almost as pretty as the character sporting it.

I also critted when I made it, so it came with a free augment slot. I don't think I'll ever find a gun I like better for my Sniper.

Edit: Ah, here it is on torhead.com...

http://www.torhead.com/item/aRT2DZL/custom-built-sniper-rifle#screenshots

Ignore the "View in 3D" button; that shows the wrong weapon. Look lower, at the "Screenshots" tab. Those are accurate.

Edited by nateslice

This one, which also became my favorite, should fit the bill. Took me a week, but i found it on the gtn.

http://www.torhead.com/item/5Ba70JR/x-55-riot-infiltrator#screenshots

Thanks to whoever helped me find the name of it back then, :)

This one, which also became my favorite, should fit the bill. Took me a week, but i found it on the gtn.

So funny that you mention this gun because I also picked it up on GTN and used it for a while. But it seemed a bit too short and I quickly got bored of it. I recently picked up this bad boy from HK-47 in the Foundry on normal mode. http://www.torhead.com/item/5ytRU4H/j-21-rotary-sniper-rifle#screenshots;view:12264 I like this one a bit better as it is a little more sniper like with out being way too long. At first just looking at the screenshot it does not look impressive by any means, but it does fit the female character I am playing very well, not too long, not too short.

X-52 Wraith Infiltrator, purchased for 90k off GTN, was hovering around 900k for a couple months. (Don't know if that's the going price, or if a new guy thought he struck gold.)

http://www.torhead.com/item/bUFHFPI/x-52-wraith-infiltrator

My Sniper

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Ser636/SWTOR/X-52WraithInfiltratorSide.jpg

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o246/Ser636/SWTOR/X-52WraithInfiltrator.jpg

This gun was being sold in my server for almost a mil... lol. It looks funny yet cool at the same time.

Also there is no difference in performance as far as Blaster vs Sniper rifles go.. right?

Edited by paowee

Elite War Hero Enforcer's Blaster Rifle dmg 336-505 (150 rating)

Elite War Hero Field Tech's Sniper Rifle dmg 454-555 (150 rating)

check on the PvP vendors in game for exact values (these are from Torhead). Sniper Rifles have a higher low end and High end damage spread when using the same rated Barrel.

Granted - if you only care about looks then it doesn't matter, but if you want to do the best damage you can - you need a sniper rifle.

The difference is fairly large. If you can use a sniper rifle over a blaster rifle, you should.

:eek:

Ever since I started raiding HM TFB.. i've been using the Saboteur Blaster Rifle (I like the look).... In fact I haven't raided HM TFB with a Sniper Rifle yet... The last time i recall using a sniper rifle was when HM EC came out.

Edited by paowee