Damage meter

JoshuaOne

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, I am a huge fan of the NO ADDONS ALLOWED but I would like to see a dmg meter of sorts in the ui. nothing like recount in wow just a PERSONAL dmg meter so I can see how I am doing. What do yall think?

I think you don't know about Mox or askmrrobot.

Hi all, I am a huge fan of the NO ADDONS ALLOWED but I would like to see a dmg meter of sorts in the ui. nothing like recount in wow just a PERSONAL dmg meter so I can see how I am doing. What do yall think?

As long as it's personal only and can NEVER be accessed by another player, I'm all for this.

I am a huge fan of no addons also. A damage meter is one I keep going back and forth on. On one hand it is so nice not worring about trying to be an elitist and people trying to spec into one spec cause it pulls .0003% more damage. I like playing what I have fun playing with and not being forced into a certain spec. But on the other hand I would like to know what I am doing and if you can't really tell the differences how can you get any better. This is a hard one for me.

I think you don't know about Mox or askmrrobot.

Crappy work arounds don't count. I want to see the damage as I'm doing it and I don't want to use a third part overlay in windowed mode to do it. I wish Bioware would add their own recount type interface that is only accessible to the player. Adding the option to link the numbers to chat would be helpful for guilds as well.

As long as it's personal only and can NEVER be accessed by another player, I'm all for this.

If it's personal only, I wouldn't mind. But then it would also be pointless, cause the purpose of this kind of gadgets is to be able to tell how one's doing in comparison to others and that wouldn't be possible. What's the point of knowing that the DPS that I'm doing is 100 or 267 or 5k if I don't know how much the other party members are doing?

Edited by Cretinus

Crappy work arounds don't count. I want to see the damage as I'm doing it and I don't want to use a third part overlay in windowed mode to do it. I wish Bioware would add their own recount type interface that is only accessible to the player. Adding the option to link the numbers to chat would be helpful for guilds as well.

I've played WoW, Rift, and ToR. All damage meters came from 3rd party programs and they're all just fine.

And if you're doing EC NiM or TfB HM, and you're not pulling your weight in the op, you deserve to be kicked from the group.

A BIG kick.

You do content like that with Guilds... who learn to play "together"... as a "team"... where you work out issues...

Well, maybe you don't. But I do. A lot of players have nothing to do with the {I'm so uber - look at my epeen - get off my lawn with your noobness} players. Just sayin' :D

You do content like that with Guilds... who learn to play "together"... as a "team"... where you work out issues...

This is true, raid-awareness is far more important than dps meters in end-game content.

One server I play on with a guild that doesn't use logs - all content is on farm easily because everyone in the raid is watching out for each other instead of fixating on getting an extra 1 or 2 dps.

The other server I play on used to be with a guild that decided everyone needed to log with parsers to "improve their play" - result was the raid aware players left and formed a new guild. The parser using guild still can't clear half the new content weeks later. :D

For a crappy work around MOX works pretty darn well. I've always been impressed with it.

That said it would be nice to get an official in-game meter, but I think it's far from the most pressing issue in the game since there are work arounds that work well.

• 2 weeks later...
Step 1) Save Money

Step 2) Buy Razer Deathstalker Pro

Step 3) Use preloaded SWTOR Damage, Healing, and Threat meters that show you your stats.

I just bought one. The parser doesn't work. (I'm not sure if my keyboard was broken coming out of the box or if the apps are broken in general.) The keys on the deathstalker leave much to be desired as well.

So you require a tool to show off how "cool" you are in a video game. A tool that measures how much "damage" you do with your pixel person to other pixel persons. And the only reason you "need" it is not because you want to improve or anything, you just want to show it off.

You might want to go back to WoW, because you clearly have some size issues.

Yes an in game damage meter would be good to have. That way we can see what we are doing to each Boss instead of just guessing by the few numbers we glimpse during a fight.

Something like 'Recount', so it shows the damage per ability and not just an overall total. Also the same for healing, and damaged absorbed for tanking.

And if you're doing EC NiM or TfB HM, and you're not pulling your weight in the op, you deserve to be kicked from the group.

A BIG kick.

DPS is a poor measuring stick of how well you are doing though. Targeting adds or weak enemies eats at your DPS. Moving around to avoid enemy attacks eats DPS for some classes. Many bosses have mechanics that require you to do something else than DPS. And then there's healers and tanks whose performance is even more difficult to measure. If the group is skilled enough to take less damage and require less heals, does that make the healers worse for not healing as much? Ditto for tanks, threat per second is not the full story.