Why did Double XP/CXP end early?

PennyAnn

The events page at http://www.swtor.com/info/in-game-events states that:

DOUBLE REWARDS EVENT:

(DECEMBER 12, 2017 – JANUARY 1, 2018: BEGINS AND ENDS AT 4PM PST/12AM GMT)

It is not 4pm PST, but there is no longer a double XP/CXP event live. I also realize there is likely no one working at the Bioware offices today - as it is a holiday. But you should know that you cut short an event that many of your PLAYERS who also had a holiday today were looking forward to enjoying on a rare day off.

:(

Although - I suspect what happened was you made a typo on the page when you claimed 4PM PST, however that is the end time you've been advertising all this time. In fact, looking at that page - several of your events list 4AM PST/12 AM GMT and several others list 4PM PST/12 AM GMT. It makes it difficult to discern what you intend as the end time for these events, and is disappointing when they are seemingly cut short due to sloppy advertising.

Edited by PennyAnn

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They always do this.

The clocks they set when they dream up a promotion just don't match to the clocks the game engine uses.

Rule for this is, if the announcement says it ends sooner than the game clock does, announcement is right, if the clock says it ends sooner than the announcement, the clock is right, whichever source has the earlier stop time will be right.

BW is allergic to common sense, you'll get used to it eventually.

Oh come on.

Nearly a month, which is longer than they originally planned, to take advantage of this and you people *still* can’t budget your time and you’re crying cuz you missed a few hours right at the end?

Unreal.

Edited by PetFish

Oh come on.

Nearly a month, which is longer than they originally planned, to take advantage of this and you people *still* can’t budget your time and you’re crying cuz you missed a few hours right at the end?

Unreal.

It was only nearly a month because they screwed up the last event and we barely got any time.... your argument is invalid.

I feel like the event went longer than I expected. It was a great event and I got several old ignored toons up to level 70 and my JK to command level 300. However like many people I was very busy around Christmas and couldn't do much until the last few days of the event. Still much appreciated for how long it did run. Thanks Keith!

But why did it end at all? What content are we supposed to enjoy playing in January? We've already had time to enjoy the last patch and now it will feel like we aren't making much CXP progress either. Since I'm not expecting the next significant patch until at least February, what's the current draw?

Oh come on.

Unreal.

How about it isn't about budgeting my time, it's about them being lazy and inaccurate with their marketing?

The double XP event was initially supposed to start the first week of December, and run for a week. Some snafu occurred, and it wasn't put into game, so... to make up for this, they decided to start it with the next maintenance, but double the duration. Initially, people liked this because it meant that the double XP event would cover the holidays... but of course, people are doubly busy over the holidays.

What most aggravates me about this... is professional people shouldn't be making these kinds of very amateur mistakes. The game runs globally; when people who decide what the promotions are, and when they should run until post this information, that information gets sent out to the people who implement it (or some collaboration similar to this). And this should be the most basic thing that gets synced. When it's decided that an event should run from that time until this time, relative to whichever time zone... the implementation has to match. The marketing people in Austin are posting their times in PST... the coding team implements it and sets the default times to GMT... or something. It's Mickey Mouse Club bumbling is what it is. Bloody embarrassing.

What most aggravates me about this... is professional people shouldn't be making these kinds of very amateur mistakes.

Professional or not, people are still people and where people work mistakes will be made. Now that doesn't mean they shouldn't step up at times, but to say that professionals should be absolutely flawless at what they do is a silly notion to say the least.

Mistakes happen, sure...

but I can't remember a single announced event where the actual in-game end time correctly matched up with the stated intended end-time. When the exact same mistake happens virtually every time SWTOR runs an event...

well, jeeze. Figure it out already, guys.

It was only nearly a month because they screwed up the last event and we barely got any time.... your argument is invalid.

One has nothing to do with the other. They could run this thing for 3 months and there'd still be crybabies crying over a few missed hours at the end.

How about it isn't about budgeting my time, it's about them being lazy and inaccurate with their marketing?

So you'd be happier if they weren't "lazy and inaccurate" and just had the one week as originally planned?

So instead of being happy with a much longer event you'd rather focus on the negative(?) that you missed the final few hours?

Gotcha.

Does it really matter? It ran for a month and you are complaining that it did not last a few more hour? That is absurd.

It didn't run for a month.. It ran from the 12th to the 1st. That isn't 30 days. Secondly, asking for people to be accurate is not a crime. I'm sure you expect your employer to be accurate with your paycheck.

Oh come on.

Unreal.

I don't often agree with PetFish (nothing personal, we just have differing views), but he's spot on with this. You've had plenty of time to take advantage of double XP/CXP...if you waited until the last minute, that's on you. I'd like it if CXP was doubled permanently...but to complain because you missed out a few hours of a 3-week event, is just silly.

I don't often agree with PetFish (nothing personal, we just have differing views), but he's spot on with this. You've had plenty of time to take advantage of double XP/CXP...if you waited until the last minute, that's on you. I'd like it if CXP was doubled permanently...but to complain because you missed out a few hours of a 3-week event, is just silly.

Exactly!

But come on, Pet & TUXs, we all know that if they didn't have something to complain about that meant the game was officially dead. lol They could hand out free CC's to every sub & some would come on her complaining about a refund because they just spent money on CC's when they could have gotten them for free. :rolleyes:

I had thought it ended on 1/2. no bother, though, i now have 4 300s (two because of this event) and am OK now. I didnt get to play much the last three weeks due to a deadline at work and i spent most of my time planning meals that tasted OK coming up as they did going down. why people show up to work knowing they have the flu is beyond me. no matter what precautions i took...i still ended up getting it. started on 12/5 and didnt seem to ever go away until this past Friday.

however, i have determined, though, that I no longer care about getting toons to 300 and if i never see another snowball I will be just fine. especially since i had thought the ecosystem decorations were part of the event and not tied to the CM bloated prices. however, i have about 1000 holographic christm...life day trees, the three mounts available or parcels, and, unless they add something new, i am done with the life day event from now going forward.

so, I am going to go back to how i was playing before the game went crazy the last two months. maybe ill try out the rhacgual (ms) event next go around, but really need more BBA contracts. the gree event is a no go for me.

however, to stay on topic: there was a lot of time to take advantage of the event and double exp/cxp. i still have two toons to get to 70 that i started a few months ago, but I have more than enough ways to increase the exp gains so that its really a none issue. i still need to start the actual chapter 1 on my new secondary main (assassin), but at least he is now in gear suited for his class.

Secondly, asking for people to be accurate is not a crime. I'm sure you expect your employer to be accurate with your paycheck.

Exactly, I agree completely. Not sure what brings people out of the woodwork to continually white knight for EA. EA stated that the event would run from "DECEMBER 12, 2017 – JANUARY 1, 2018: BEGINS AND ENDS AT 4PM PST/12AM GMT".

No one made EA post this information. I was expecting the event to run until yesterday at 7 PM ET per their own statement. Those of you attacking other players for expecting EA to honor their commitment are just wrong. As mistakes go this is a minor one, but frankly EA has little credibility and I would expect they would try to improve their credibility by trying to limit their mistakes.