Why no acknowledgement of overpowered heals?

MajinUltima

Wow, that other team sounds terrible if that was your strategy and it worked.

I've also fought really dumb teams before, it doesn't mean healing is overpowered. In fact that seems completely irrelevant to the power of healing.

Sounds like you've never fought a strong defensive team in Voidstar. Taking the door by force is completely out of the question. Our team did the best strat they can because due to tab targetting being very unreliable in this game, doing this, combined with some CC, is the only chance to break through a defended door in Voidstar. If you can't kill defenders, there isn't even a point to try to DPS and you might as well chain click on the door as there's at least some small chance that will work. This is also the optimal strategy in Novare Coast against heal strong teams (chain clicking the node). In a game where both teams knows how the meta game goes, you'll often find half of each team trying to click on the southern node, as they all know trying to kill anybody is a complete waste of time in the light of overpowered heals.

Edited by Astarica

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I don't agree that healers are all out OP, I can see more clearly your point about them being a viable 1v1 role. Reducing the magnitude of their self heals, or removing the ability to use some of the heals on themselves seems like it could bring about a solution to that issue.

I can't Guardian Leap to myself to reduce my damage taken by 20% for 6 seconds, and after reading your posts and playing heals to gather more knowledge of the situation, I can safely say that losing the effectiveness of self-heals would mean that I would have to depend on my teammates in the same way that other roles depend on the healer.

It's interesting to note that healers have the biggest 'increase healing received' effects out of all classes. If the goal is that healers are supposed to work with other characters, it should be the other way around. It seems like the healer tree is designed with the assumption since a healer is likely to get focus fired so he needs extra good self defenses to make up for it. This design is wrong. The defenses is supposed to come from your teammates, not yourself. Otherwise you might as well say since DPS are extra likely to die (due to their role) they should have the ability to self heal to 100% so they can continue doing their job (to DPS). No, the fact that DPS are likely to die is exactly why you have healers/tanks in the first place so that DPS are less likely to die. If DPS can simply heal themselves to full effectively, there would be no point to have tanks or healers. Similarly the fact that healers are likely to be focus fired is why the your tanks/DPS are supposed to be watching out for your healers.

It's an exponential effect. If 1 competent dps isn't going to be reasonably able to kill 1 competent healer, then what happens when a 2nd dps and a tank or 2nd healer get involved? How do you capture a node within a reasonable timeframe when you cannot send an equal number of players and reasonably expect even a possibility success?

Well let's reverse your assumed propositions. Dps is a team role. They cannot tank or heal and are entirely dependent upon other classes to be able to fulfill their function. If you can't expect a healer or tank to kill 1 competent dps, then what happens when a 2nd dps gets involved? How can you capture a node within a reasonable time frame when you cannot send an equal number of players, (in this case a healer and dps to take out 2 dps) and reasonably expect even a possibility of success?

It's obvious dps are OP and their dmg abilities need to be reduced. Without this reduction there is a sever degradation of warzone mechanics.

Strip away the gobbledygook and you just want to be able to derp dps and are annoyed that now it isn't as easy as it was.

Basically, I see it like this.

If one team has a healer, and the other team does not, it's still a pretty balanced match. The PUG team can focus the enemy healer and still get a win.

If one team has two healers however, the balance dramatically shifts. It's much more difficult to take out two healers, since cross healing can be very powerful. It also puts two marks out there, making it more difficult to coordinate attacks in a PUG environment.

If it's one healer and one tank, it's a bit like two healers, though slightly easier to deal with. A paired tank/healer will still take a significantly longer time to kill though, potentially giving teammates plenty of time to reinforce.

Once you go over that, to two healers and a tank, or worse, two healers each with a dedicated tank, matches become very lopsided. Rarely does anyone on that team die, and most matches do require players to die so objectives can be captured. Even if a healer or two is on the second team, it just means that then no one on either team ever dies.

Healing probably needs reduced, or other abilities like guard/taunt. Or a combination of all three. I would not say damage needs to be increased though, as without healers TTK is painfully short.

Sounds like you've never fought a strong defensive team in Voidstar. Taking the door by force is completely out of the question. Our team did the best strat they can because due to tab targetting being very unreliable in this game, doing this, combined with some CC, is the only chance to break through a defended door in Voidstar. If you can't kill defenders, there isn't even a point to try to DPS and you might as well chain click on the door as there's at least some small chance that will work. This is also the optimal strategy in Novare Coast against heal strong teams (chain clicking the node). In a game where both teams knows how the meta game goes, you'll often find half of each team trying to click on the southern node, as they all know trying to kill anybody is a complete waste of time in the light of overpowered heals.

So the defending team full of tanks and heals never thought to interrupt a bomb? I'm assuming one person on defense was guarding the other door, so somehow 5 of you managed to CC 7 of them for 8 seconds at the exact same time? Either they all clumped up for some double-flashbang action (which makes them bad), they had 3+ guys defending a door with nobody at it (which makes them bad), or there were members of their team who weren't CCd and they didn't even try to hit the people capping the door (which, again, makes them bad.) Or you're lying and that strategy didn't work, I'm just giving you the benefit of the doubt here.

And lol for that Novare Coast strategy. That one's not even worth commenting on if you think that's a valid strategy.

I am pretty sure the facts are that you can't kill a good healer 1 vs 1.

I wonder if you ever played a healer yourself ? Without a tank I mean.

Btw, most of the posts on this forum are irrelevant if nobody that can do anything about the game is reading them ...

And and you didn't know wich school I went too in my days, YOUMAD bro? Getting all personal like that ? I am very good in comprehensive reading, your compliment proves that. Thx.

Another irrelevant ignorant post with 0 facts or evidence presented. Get lost if you can't contribute anything worth anyone's time, nobody gives a damn about your opinions.

Edited by JP_Legatus

Healers feel entitled to be good in every capacity, in a team, in a duo, solo, etc. And this is the result.

But really, the only ones that deserve to be good at solo and team play are dps, right? And you say healers feel entitled?

As a side note, isn't it the desire of every player to be viable solo and in a team? But because healers wish it also, warzones are doomed? In the recent mmos I have played no dps can down a healer 1v1 but yet their battlegrounds and warzones function. If anything SWTOR healers are still weak compared to these other mmos. So your assumed propositions that warzones can't function with healing are incorrect.

I've also heard the opposite, the healers are on offense so much that no one plays defense and the game is who can click the ball respawn the fastest because scoring becomes a given. Either scenario is a pretty degenerate collapse of warzone mechanics. As stated before, ACW boils down to who clicked their side turret first and got up 10-0, because no one's going to die at mid or on the sides. If they do, then one team auto-wins because you'll never recap the objectives in time to turn it around.

If you can score you might as well score, as it's hard to imagine scoring a goal somehow puts your team in a worse position before.

In the degenerate Huttball game what happens is the ball carrier will just run straight down to the pit with his healers. This spot is practically impossible to pull someone into a fire trap, which is the only way you can kill the ball carrier. Now, if you're lucky you'll have someone you can leap to, but let's assume the other team reads your strat correctly. That's okay, because your ball carrier isn't dying with his healers, so he can wait until either a Sage manages to get into endzone (to rescue), or if he can intercede all he has to do is wait for any ally to get to the endzone to leap back up. Note that the ball carrier will rarely pass to someone unless he had the ball for so long that it's going to explode, because there's no need to risk an interception when you're not dying. And if he gets knocked off, it's okay because he's still not dying and can always try again later.

To counter this strat you just don't defend and try to control middle while the ball carrier and healers are away, though of course this at best only evens the score. If the enemy team is aware of this, you'll actually see their guys just stop by the goal line because they're getting the rest of the team back to mid to try to contest the ball. In the end, the team that grabbed the ball the most times from the middle is almost certainly the winner.

Another irrelevant ignorant post with 0 facts or evidence presented. Get lost if you can't contribute anything worth anyone's time, nobody gives a damn about your opinions.

You surely don't I dunno about the others. Why don't you go and post another high damage screenshot of a civil war where you weren't able to cap mid while you had highest damage as an assassin who could have possibly capped a side turret easy ?

I get it why you're mad the other team had some more healers and tanks and you couldn't kill them. Its funny that you are always giving the facts yourself and say I don't have any, go ahead, be blind and only look at the numbers :rak_01:

Get lost ? Nah, I'll stay a bit longer but thanks for the suggestion :rolleyes: I am clearly worthwile of your time :)

Tankqull made a nice post 1 or two pages back, I'd very much like to know your opinion about the subject burst dps compared to burst healing.

Edited by Jorojus

You surely don't I dunno about the others. Why don't you go and post another high damage screenshot of a civil war where you weren't able to cap mid while you had highest damage as an assassin who could have possibly capped a side turret easy ?

I get it why you're mad the other team had some more healers and tanks and you couldn't kill them. Its funny that you are always giving the facts yourself and say I don't have any, go ahead, be blind and only look at the numbers :rak_01:

Get lost ? Nah, I'll stay a bit longer but thanks for the suggestion :rolleyes: I am clearly worthwile of your time :)

Tankqull made a nice post 1 or two pages back, I'd very much like to know your opinion about the subject burst dps compared to burst healing.

I haven't posted any screenshots of losses, and as usual everything you've said is irrelevant and stupid.

I don't usually do this, but I'll take the time to explain what is happening in our conversation because you seem to have a complete and total lack of understanding of the situation, believing that I don't want healers to be effective in warzones.

My favorite thing to do in a warzone is as you can probably guess it - farm damage while ignoring objectives and letting someone else guard nodes and make calls. The only reason I even play the objective is because my teammates want me to. If I ever got into a warzone with 15 healers between both teams and I'm the only dps, it would be the best warzone of my life. I would love nothing more than to push my damage to the limits and get 12million damage from spreading dots and aoe on 8 people with my sin while nobody caps the novarre nodes. Acting like I want healers to be ineffective is pointless and stupid, because anyone who knows me knows I want healers to never die. On top of this I've already stated healers can be killed with focus fire and timed cc.

I'm not arguing with you because I can't kill healers or because I want them to be ineffective, I'm arguing with you because you're wrong and your posts are stupid.

The simple fact of the matter is, healers are doing 60% more healing than the dps is doing damage according to the records charts. The OP stated healing was overtuned, the numbers support him, and the numbers don't support you.

The only point of any value you've made since you started posting in this thread is that burst dps is better than burst healing. Unfortunately, you are forgetting 2 things: the fact that the biggest heal is nearly the same size as the biggest hit (12302 vs 11734) and the fact that dps gets taunted and healers don't. The only move in the game that lowers healing is the marauder/sentinel's new saber throw, and it's less often and less % than taunting. Not only that, but a guard completely negates burst damage to begin with so it's not even relevant.

Now please, stop wasting everyone's time and get lost.

Edited by JP_Legatus

I don't believe that healers are doing 60% more than damage on average. A healer will do more than the average dps if they have a tank guard and another healer or 2 to work in tandem with. But what if a dps had a tank guard and a pocket healer? They would do much more dmg than an unguarded, unsupported healer without a doubt. So then should we conclude that dps are OP and needs to be tuned down?

I routinely see AoE smash for 8400+, mauls for 9k, etc. I don't ever recall doing anything close to a 8400 AoE heal or heals for 9k.

Quoting made up or selective statistics and then inferring what you want from them isn't a convincing argument.

Edited by MotorCityMan

I haven't posted any screenshots of losses, and as usual everything you've said is irrelevant and stupid.

I don't usually do this, but I'll take the time to explain what is happening in our conversation because you seem to have a complete and total lack of understanding of the situation, believing that I don't want healers to be effective in warzones.

My favorite thing to do in a warzone is as you can probably guess it - farm damage while ignoring objectives and letting someone else guard nodes and make calls. The only reason I even play the objective is because my teammates want me to. If I ever got into a warzone with 15 healers between both teams and I'm the only dps, it would be the best warzone of my life. I would love nothing more than to push my damage to the limits and get 12million damage from spreading dots and aoe on 8 people with my sin while nobody caps the novarre nodes. Acting like I want healers to be ineffective is pointless and stupid, because anyone who knows me knows I want healers to never die. On top of this I've already stated healers can be killed with focus fire and timed cc.

I'm not arguing with you because I can't kill healers or because I want them to be ineffective, I'm arguing with you because you're wrong and your posts are stupid.

The simple fact of the matter is, healers are doing 60% more healing than the dps is doing damage according to the records charts. The OP stated healing was overtuned, the numbers support him, and the numbers don't support you.

The only point of any value you've made since you started posting in this thread is that burst dps is better than burst healing. Unfortunately, you are forgetting 2 things: the fact that the biggest heal is nearly the same size as the biggest hit (12302 vs 11734) and the fact that dps gets taunted and healers don't. The only move in the game that lowers healing is the marauder/sentinel's new saber throw, and it's less often and less % than taunting. Not only that, but a guard completely negates burst damage to begin with so it's not even relevant.

Now please, stop wasting everyone's time and get lost.

Thank you, I am glad I was able to convince you to write something really useful imo. Do you think that in a very well coordinated team and thus ranked games there is definetely a chance to win against the other team ? And if you can win, what makes the difference ?

I mean just imagine, everyone has the same skill, same gear, but acts like a brainless robot that only looks at numbers, what would happen ?

Think about, you'll always have a stalemate, where nobody gets killed, nobody dies and everyone will have the same stats.

THAT my good sir is balanced pvp explained for you. The only way to counter that in competitive pvp is to actually use your brains.

I got another question for all the so called uberleet pvp players on this forum but where they are mistaken in. Who does the tank has to guard ?

Edited by Jorojus

So why can't we have WZs where players actually fight rather than this pathetic heal, stun, interrupt? Just for players who like fight. You don't have to sign up if you don't like violence.

This is what duels are. Or random ganking.

It's mostly the Operative that's overpowered in WZ healing; not healing itself.

I agree, that the cover mechanic makes a big difference in survivability for operative healers, compared to other healing classes.

However on the other side of the medal, concealment for operatives has been in a bad situation for a very long time, now on the other hand its viable in ranked imo.

Edited by Jorojus

It's mostly the Operative that's overpowered in WZ healing; not healing itself.

Is that so? Where are these immortal healers? The ones that never die? Both my sorc and Op healers die plenty in warzones. 2 dps easily kills either one of them. 1 dps can easily occupy me and make me struggle to stay alive or have to run. And they are in full partisan with some conquerer. I have communed deeply with the force, but yet I am still mortal.

My PT, dps sorc, sniper or mara can easily tie up a healer, if not kill them outright.

You derp dps that want a free pass to run over everything and anything you see, ignoring objectives, need to go back to playing playstation.

This jewel of a quote is from one of the other multitudinous threads:

"PvP should be about damage, fight, kill not heal. If you are afraid to get killed in PvP, DO NOT PVP. Simple is that.This is pathetic it's not PvP."

That about sums up the attitude of so many, unfortunately.

Edited by MotorCityMan

Thank you, I am glad I was able to convince you to write something really useful imo. Do you think that in a very well coordinated team and thus ranked games there is definetely a chance to win against the other team ? And if you can win, what makes the difference ?

I mean just imagine, everyone has the same skill, same gear, but acts like a brainless robot that only looks at numbers, what would happen ?

Think about, you'll always have a stalemate, where nobody gets killed, nobody dies and everyone will have the same stats.

THAT my good sir is balanced pvp explained for you. The only way to counter that in competitive pvp is to actually use your brains.

I got another question for all the so called uberleet pvp players on this forum but where they are mistaken in. Who does the tank has to guard ?

You haven't made any points here that haven't already been addressed, and no, nobody dying in a wz is not balance, it's tipped in the favor of healing and tanking.

To begin with, the stats don't even matter, it's the objectives that win the games. People are just crying about healing because healers simply put out more healing than dps puts out dps. It's a fact you keep avoiding.

Edited by JP_Legatus

You haven't made any points here that haven't already been addressed, and no, nobody dying in a wz is not balance, it's tipped in the favor of healing and tanking.

To begin with, the stats don't even matter, it's the objectives that win the games. People are just crying about healing because healers simply put out more healing than dps puts out dps. It's a fact you keep avoiding.

Its a fact that is true, healers put out more heals then dps, I don't disagree with you. Like you say, objectives win the game. In that view I think the PVP in this game is pretty balanced if you keep in mind that you have to play as a team with brawn, not like mindless robots.

Edited by Jorojus

Once again there is no need to argue about this class or that class, etc...

Operatives and sorcerers are outrunnig most of their opponents easily and are basically for different reasons, very good at using LOS to their advantage. Both are basically only moderatly annoyed by perma interrupts agains for diffrent reasons but the result is the same they only lose 20-25% of their healing power if they can't channel.

mercs don't run that fast but they have extremely high mitigation due to strong passive and active abilities they lose more healing power under perma interrupt but they are always long to take down.

I have several propositions to tweak healing output in BGs only.

1 - Transform expertise bonus "~30% damage reduction" into a "~30% endurance boost", where no healing/self healing is involved it equates to no change but with the actual mechanics the following setup

A hammering B at 2000 DPS and C healing B at 1800 HPS, B having 30 000 HP buffer you have a 150 seconds fight. with the new state you would have

A hammering B at 2850 DPS and C healing B at 1800 HPS, B having 42857 HP buffer you have a 41 seconds fight.

Also putting back people to full health would become more important and woudl take longer, giving more importance to big fat channeled heals because buffer would be important.

2 - Reduce the healing buff of expertise by 10%

Again where no healing/self healing is invloved obviously no change,

A hammering B at 2000 DPS and C healing B at 1800 HPS, B having 30 000 HP buffer you have a 150 seconds fight. with option 2 would turn into

A hammering B at 2000 DPS and C healing B at 1671 HPS, B having 30 000 HP buffer you have a 91 seconds fight.

3 - Tweak the interrupt mechanic so that it penalises the caster for all casts, or penalyse the caster's spell for a longer time.

4 - Introduce more debuffs to heals done and heals received. That would certainly boost the desirability of certain specs that are frowned uppon atm. Or expand the depth further than the actual duality of sustained dot pressure / big fat execution moves. Take the powertechs for example, the tank spec has a crucial role in BGs and outside, both other spec are just doing damage, one elemental in melee, the other classic at mid range, but they serve the exact same purpose, taunt and deal period, having one of those two specs emphasize on big fat debuffs and a bit less damage, while the other stays a taunting damage dealer.

It will always be time to see if there is a real average imbalance between healing classes, but in all modesty I don't think I have enough data to state there is nothing "concrete", and I think none of you here have enough data to backup any claim have read here or there about this or that class.

On the other hand we kind of all agree on the fact that killing people takes very long when everybody in the team does his job, whether you are someone who likfes to adapt and you use "very long " or someone who likes to whine and you use "too long", having heal slightly less efficient would give a bit more importance to other mechanics like mobility, stealth/surprise attacks, buffering health, respawn waves etc... and it can certainly not hurt.

Once again there is no need to argue about this class or that class, etc...

Operatives and sorcerers are outrunnig most of their opponents easily and are basically for different reasons, very good at using LOS to their advantage. Both are basically only moderatly annoyed by perma interrupts agains for diffrent reasons but the result is the same they only lose 20-25% of their healing power if they can't channel.

mercs don't run that fast but they have extremely high mitigation due to strong passive and active abilities they lose more healing power under perma interrupt but they are always long to take down.

I have several propositions to tweak healing output in BGs only.

1 - Transform expertise bonus "~30% damage reduction" into a "~30% endurance boost", where no healing/self healing is involved it equates to no change but with the actual mechanics the following setup

A hammering B at 2000 DPS and C healing B at 1800 HPS, B having 30 000 HP buffer you have a 150 seconds fight. with the new state you would have

A hammering B at 2850 DPS and C healing B at 1800 HPS, B having 42857 HP buffer you have a 41 seconds fight.

Also putting back people to full health would become more important and woudl take longer, giving more importance to big fat channeled heals because buffer would be important.

A hammering B at 2000 DPS and C healing B at 1800 HPS, B having 30 000 HP buffer you have a 150 seconds fight. with option 2 would turn into

A hammering B at 2000 DPS and C healing B at 1671 HPS, B having 30 000 HP buffer you have a 91 seconds fight.

3 - Tweak the interrupt mechanic so that it penalises the caster for all casts, or penalyse the caster's spell for a longer time.

4 - Introduce more debuffs to heals done and heals received. That would certainly boost the desirability of certain specs that are frowned uppon atm. Or expand the depth further than the actual duality of sustained dot pressure / big fat execution moves. Take the powertechs for example, the tank spec has a crucial role in BGs and outside, both other spec are just doing damage, one elemental in melee, the other classic at mid range, but they serve the exact same purpose, taunt and deal period, having one of those two specs emphasize on big fat debuffs and a bit less damage, while the other stays a taunting damage dealer.

It will always be time to see if there is a real average imbalance between healing classes, but in all modesty I don't think I have enough data to state there is nothing "concrete", and I think none of you here have enough data to backup any claim have read here or there about this or that class.

On the other hand we kind of all agree on the fact that killing people takes very long when everybody in the team does his job, whether you are someone who likfes to adapt and you use "very long " or someone who likes to whine and you use "too long", having heal slightly less efficient would give a bit more importance to other mechanics like mobility, stealth/surprise attacks, buffering health, respawn waves etc... and it can certainly not hurt.

Bro u just do not understand what is expertise. It has no direct impact on survivability - damage. What it do is that expertise soaks points in gear budget from other stats.

Expertise formula for dmr - damage is so, that for as long as 2 players expertise is equal in absolute numbers (be it 1 expertise or 100000000000 expertise) damage boost is cancelled by damage reduction.

Player A does 100 damage to player B. Both having same max expertise 2018. Player A does 100 + 60 % = 160 damage and then it is reduced by 37 % = 100 + 60 - ((100+60)/100*37) = 100,8 damage. So expertise damage just was cancelled by damage reduction.

So instead of inflating damage with adding more mainstat/crit/surge etc. that item budget goes to expertise keeping damage at bay.

The same logic with healing increase with expertise vs trauma debuff with only exception that currently formula is so that vs trauma (30 %) heals are cut by approx. 12 %. So instead of healing 100 on player in pvp combat healer will heal 89, but then this 89 will be raised ofc with healing increse talents from healing trees and actually it will be close to 100 anyways, and in some cases even higher than 100 (heals on self under shield probe on oper, under energy shield on merc, for example).

Bro u just do not understand what is expertise.

well i do better than you obviously.

It has no direct impact on survivability - damage.

wrong

What it do is that expertise soaks points in gear budget from other stats.

not since 2.0 read patchnotes/devblogs

Expertise formula for dmr - damage is so, that for as long as 2 players expertise is equal in absolute numbers (be it 1 expertise or 100000000000 expertise) damage boost is cancelled by damage reduction.

Nope the whole point behind expertise being to include other games "PVP/BG" balance mechanic where they tweak damage, buffer and heal throughtput to something more suited for pvp engagements.

Player A does 100 damage to player B. Both having same max expertise 2018. Player A does 100 + 60 % = 160 damage and then it is reduced by 37 % = 100 + 60 - ((100+60)/100*37) = 100,8 damage. So expertise damage just was cancelled by damage reduction.

you meant "damage x ( 100+60 ) / (100 -37) " the result being effectively 100,8% of "damage" you are not as bad at maths as your flawed formula suggests.

Nevertheless accoding to your logic the healing buff should be 60% aswell, it is 40%, so the current tweaks intend at balancing ganking and tanking while giving handicap to healing. Maybee you can see where it goes, these layers can be changed at very little coding expense to tweak the global pvp balance in Bgs or in wild pvp,

Expertise as you have stated also have the second interest of separating pvp dedicated and pve dedicated gear, and it is compensated with the 55 bolster system so that you are not completely gimped in pve gear since there is no "partisan" gear anymore. but you are mistaken thinking it serves only that purpose it is a double edged tool.

The fact that damage increases and damage reduction evens out atm is a coincidence, it might not be true in 3 months, it might be true again in 6 month.

So instead of inflating damage with adding more mainstat/crit/surge etc. that item budget goes to expertise keeping damage at bay.

As said above, it is not true anymore, since patch 2.0 expertise is budget free on items, and the bolster system gives a very good share of expertise for free to items which have none, ensuring everybody remains in a reasonable bracket of the pvp tweaks people at 2018 merely having a 10% efficiency edge over people who have none on their stuff.

In conclusion :

you are off topic,

you have your facts wrongs

your understanding of the pvp bolster / expertise purpose is uncomplete.

Now that this is fixed, please hold your horses do consider the following changes propositions and see how they could improve/ depreciate the pvp experience and let us know if they are or not needed.

Edited by Ajuntalee