Story Discussion - Shadow of Revan through KOTET

EricMusco

So with all the respect I can muster I have refrained from swearing up a storm and ripping at you guys in all colours, but trust me, I am not impressed with this children's story of a Sith Emperor that lost his mind to go play house in some faraway place, with our mains having to save the galaxy by leading an alliance...basically by becoming the rebel alliance. Oh and then we haven't even talked about the whole Scorpio nonsense....you guys should stop throwing so much together really and just take time to tell such stories separately. Iokath would've been so much more interesting as a main story line without all of this other stuff going on.

Just stop stacking 10 things together when you only need 2 or 3. In the end none of that plethora of plots and sub-plots get the attention they deserve either. Some of them could've been interesting but they were just brushed over.

Can you guys learn to do breathing exercises when you have your next brainstorm sessions for the upcoming stories? Clearly there is no self-control going on and as a consequence people just get thrown around from left to right with some elusive main story line going through it that actually makes no sense.

^ This.

It would have been 100 times better if FE/ET/Iokath had attempted to tell "One Good Story Well", rather than "Twenty Mediocre Stories Badly".

The second half of FE and all of ET and Iokath feels like someone just picked up a bucket of Velcro Balls each with a story element on it and threw it at a wall, and had to cobble together any that stuck. It didn't work, and it still isn't working in Iokath.

All The Best

Edited by DarthSpuds

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I think Fallen Empire (and by extension Eternal Throne) fell down was Chapter 9 and after.

Specifically, it fell down by making you the unique special snowflake commander and keeping you seperate from your companions and keeping the later stuff solo only.

Imagine if instead, after the Battle of Asylum, you arrived at Odessan to find that the Alliance was already in motion with a council composed of Theron, Lana, Ogyrubb, Sana Re, Admiral Ayiago and Hilo Viz as its leadership. They put together the rescue mission because you've proven to be able to overcome impossible odds before. With this setup I'd actually skip Chap 2 and Valk's later appearances as well so you're important, but not unique. Suddenly the new PVP match makes a lot more sense if you're not all the Alliance commander.

Then have the Theron reunion scene only he HAS brought your entire crew of companions back (use stock dialogue over each other for the joyous chaotic reunion and fade to black to imply they're sharing what they've been up to with you). That way you're only seperated from your companions for the chapter 1-8 run.

Go a bit further and put in a bypass switch so that by hitting the switch you bypass Chap 1-8 and just join up with the Alliance to fight the Eternal Empire.

And then here's the biggie... Chapters 10-16 shouldn't have been solo chapters. They should have been tactical flashpoints with a solo story mode option as you're sent on missions by the Alliance to disrupt the Eternal Empire. Replace the companions (who you'd already have back) with other NPC's as you and other players strike at the droid control in the Spire, recruit exiles in the swamps to hit an Imperial facility, make a raid on an Imperial Treasury ship, steal the GEMINI prototype under cover of a Mandalorian assault, try to take over an Eternal Fleet vessel and defend Odessan from an an attack by Arkan.

Make those flashpoints cross-faction (along with general chat and teaming while on Oddessan) and I think the reception of the whole thing would have gone over a LOT better (six new flashpoints over those 6-7 months). Then do the same with Eternal Throne... Battle for Voss flashpoint, Drommund Kaas wilds flashpoint, retake the Gravestone flashpoint, Iokath flashpoint, Nathama flashpoint, et cetera.

A setup like that would have been a lot more sustainable. Heck, you could have probably even milked the conflict out longer since the rush to get companions back and the Valky in your head plots aren't in play (thus no Keeping up with the Valkorions plots) and you could extend the viability of the flashpoints as progression content by having hard and nightmare modes in addition to story mode.

I really wouldn't have liked most of what you describe here at all, especially turning all the later chapters into Flashpoints or reuniting with our companions with stock dialogue.

• 10 months later...

So, i came across this topic, and i thought it would be a good idea to bump it, now that we have completed Iokath/Nathema Conspiracy storyline.

I think, that the story became even less coherent, and the whole thing with Nathema / Zildrog created more confusion than explained things. We still don't know what happened at Ziost, and how's that different from Nathema, the whole part with Gravestone being a part of Zildrog is just an incredible mess - why did the ship was rotting in the swamps of Zakuul in the first place? A possible explanation is that the Emperor somehow foreseen the whole thing with Outlander and left the ship to be found, but this is extremely far-fetched and improbable.

Otherwise, Nathema Conspiracy storyline even strengthened what BenKatarn pointed earlier - there is literally no reason to make Vitiate and Valkorion one entity - it is a disastrous decision that makes little sense. If we could just pretend that Valkorion is on his own, and Vitiate still lurks out there, somewhere - all Eternal Empire storyline makes much more sense.

/discuss

Then, Vitiate abruptly stops the war, proposes a treaty claiming seemingly-random planets, and starts the Cold War. An obscure step in his plan to complete the ritual? Makes sense, though if we look at how old Valkorion's children appear to be, they'd be getting born right around this time... coincidence?

Senya tells us that Valkorion started becoming colder and more distant as the children grew up, so we can surmise that he's splitting his attention again during this period. The assault of Sel-Makor and the final attack by the Jedi Knight take a lot out of him. His ritual is thwarted, and he is too weak to dominate another body or risk Valkorion until he's reinvigorated by Revan's plot in SoR - otherwise, he would've surely done so. He could've used the Fleet to cause the necessary deaths, but he wasn't ready to reveal its power to the galaxy yet - more on that shortly.

This bugs me a little.

If Arcan and Thexan were born around the time of the Treaty of Coruscant, that'd make them something like 10 years younger than our own characters (i assume our characters are supposed to be between 20 and 30 at the begining of their class stories). That'd make them really really young, and Arcann doesn't appear to me as being way younger than our characters. I could see him as being 20-25 years old at the very begining of KOTFE (and i'd say closer to 25 than 20), but clearly not 16.

For me, the best way to get the game back on track is to retcon out the disaster that is KOTFE and KOTET. Have the characters wake up after some major illness they picked up on Yavin at the end of SOR and start over from there.

What about people who actually enjoyed KOTFE/ET ?

It works well for my JK, and i don't want any of that to be some weird dream, that'd be very infuriating for me.

You'll probably be able to skip all that at one point so why taking that away for people who liked it ?

But i'm probably in the minority that really don't want to go back to Empire vs Republic i guess, i'll just wait to see who it plays out and if i don't like it, i'll end my JK's story at the end of Nathema.

On another note, i didn't like the choices concerning Dramath, having only 1 stupid LS choice where you're too good and free him while it's far more intelligent to keep him around to help you defeat his son, and 1 big piece of jerk DS choice where you litterally tell him to [i don't know how to phrase it in english without being censored so choose whatever you want] and that he's more or less your slave felt really bad for me.

Why not have a neutral choice where you promise to free him (even if you can't keep that promise later) once Valkorion is defeated if he helps you ?

Edited by Goreshaga

So, i came across this topic, and i thought it would be a good idea to bump it, now that we have completed Iokath/Nathema Conspiracy storyline.

Thanks.

I had the same idea, but I was too lazy to find that thread. Was interesting to read it again. I actually understood Charles' explanation better now for some reason. It did make kind of sense now, but all in all, everything is still quite confusing and unclear, not just the Vitiate story.

It would have been nice to have played the story the way Charles had originally written it. Instead we got a ripped up torn up shredded version of the story. It was like taking a jigsaw puzzle and cutting off all the keys, throw away most of the pieces, then try to remake the puzzle with the remaining pieces and say your done. The pieces won't mean what the original would have but you try to make sense of it by taking little pieces and saying "see, see, it goes ...."

I know it won't happen but, KOTFE / KOTET should be re-released as a side story in it's complete form. The full trilogy.... I'm sure Charles has a full a version somewhere already done just waiting to be released....

Please no flames... Some of us liked the story and would love for it to finally make sense......

I think, that the story became even less coherent, and the whole thing with Nathema / Zildrog created more confusion than explained things. We still don't know what happened at Ziost, and how's that different from Nathema, the whole part with Gravestone being a part of Zildrog is just an incredible mess - why did the ship was rotting in the swamps of Zakuul in the first place? A possible explanation is that the Emperor somehow foreseen the whole thing with Outlander and left the ship to be found, but this is extremely far-fetched and improbable.

Otherwise, Nathema Conspiracy storyline even strengthened what BenKatarn pointed earlier - there is literally no reason to make Vitiate and Valkorion one entity - it is a disastrous decision that makes little sense. If we could just pretend that Valkorion is on his own, and Vitiate still lurks out there, somewhere - all Eternal Empire storyline makes much more sense.

/discuss

I remember how I thought that Valkorion was literally his own person commanding a whole new Empire of his own that attacked the galaxy. It would've been cool had he been his own, since he was in a way different from Vitiate though at the end he proved to have the very same schemes as his old persona.