So what is the counter to Sniper/Gunslinger?

KettleBelll

I heard Gunslingers are supposed to be a hard counter to melee classes.....

Where did this come from? I'd figure range would be their advantage, and they should be disadvantaged vs melee. But hey, maybe they are indeed supposed to be the counter to melee.

But are they not also the counter to ranged classes? Cover protects against ranged fire.

I'm honestly missing what is supposed to counter Gunslingers. Powertechs used to be able to stun and grapple then down off a catwalk (if they get that rare window where they aren't Hunker'd Down immune to CC for 20 sec on a 1 min cooldown, or white bar resolve)..... but the change to the stun distance really removed that.

It doesn't seem like you could win a shooting war with one, because of the advantage of Cover.

And, they seem to melee better than melee classes, with Orbital Strike and AoE Fire cast directly on top of themselves, cluster bombs, Hunker Down, big knockback with roots, stun knife, leg shooting, flashbangs, etc.

I'm really at a loss on what counters this class. Would love to hear some discussion on this.

IN BEFORE - Random Trolling

IN BEFORE - Some poster says "just run away and LoS them"

IN BEFORE - Nerf Smash posts

IN BEFORE - The comics of the Gunslinger at Voidstar/NC gets linked

IN BEFORE - Hero posters write "I eat Gunslingers and Snipers for breakfast, I don't know what your problem is"

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard Gunslingers are supposed to be a hard counter to melee classes.....

Where did this come from? I'd figure range would be their advantage, and they should be disadvantaged vs melee. But hey, maybe they are indeed supposed to be the counter to melee.

But are they not also the counter to ranged classes? Cover protects against ranged fire.

I'm honestly missing what is supposed to counter Gunslingers. Powertechs used to be able to stun and grapple then down off a catwalk (if they get that rare window where they aren't Hunker'd Down immune to CC for 20 sec on a 1 min cooldown, or white bar resolve)..... but the change to the stun distance really removed that.

It doesn't seem like you could win a shooting war with one, because of the advantage of Cover.

And, they seem to melee better than melee classes, with Orbital Strike and AoE Fire cast directly on top of themselves, cluster bombs, Hunker Down, big knockback with roots, stun knife, leg shooting, flashbangs, etc.

I'm really at a loss on what counters this class. Would love to hear some discussion on this.

IN BEFORE - Random Trolling

IN BEFORE - Some poster says "just run away and LoS them"

IN BEFORE - Nerf Smash posts

IN BEFORE - The comics of the Gunslinger at Voidstar/NC gets linked

IN BEFORE - Hero posters write "I eat Gunslingers and Snipers for breakfast, I don't know what your problem is"

Ranged fire in this game means white colored attacks. Only snipers really use mostly white attacks, and it's only one particular spec.

Stealth classes are a hard counter to snipers.

Edited by Smashbrother

Snipers are the squishiest w/o their cover. Just push them out of it and cc = win. Just catch them when they don't use their all immune skill. Oh, and ye, los is amazing. Killed 48lvl sniper with my 21 lvl assault commando losing the guy. Nothing is actually different on high lvls with my main.

Saber Ward, or the famous Pacify from the Sentinel totally makes them goodfornothing for a good 6 seconds

That's just one spec though. Dirty Fighting and Saboteur won't really care about either.

Pacify, thankfully, isn't famous. Many Sentinels still seem to believe believe it's a terrible ability and therefore don't use it.

That's just one spec though. Dirty Fighting and Saboteur won't really care about either.

Pacify, thankfully, isn't famous. Many Sentinels still seem to believe believe it's a terrible ability and therefore don't use it.

Pacify is a good ability but its very easily counter-able.

Edited by PowerReaper

Cloak of Pain, thats a 30 sec cooldown, against a dirtyfightning one just sayin

Pacify is a good ability but its very easily counter-able.

If you happen to be a Vigilance Guardian, it wrecks you for 6 seconds. I usually try and save Plasma Brand, Force Sweep and Blade Storm for when I'm being Pacified but they're not always available... (I suppose your easy counter idea is using yellow damage attacks? At least I see nothing else that's viable, apart from running away)

If you happen to be a Vigilance Guardian, it wrecks you for 6 seconds. I usually try and save Plasma Brand, Force Sweep and Blade Storm for when I'm being Pacified but they're not always available... (I suppose your easy counter idea is using yellow damage attacks? At least I see nothing else that's viable, apart from running away)

Pacify won't always work against every class. And its easily counterable against most classes and useless.

Sorc/Sage - Useless

Assassin/Shadow - Easily Counterable

Scoundrel/Operative - Easily Counterable

Snipe/Gunslinger - Unless they are Marksman it won't affect them really.

Any class can kill a Markmanship (the most common spec) Sniper if they use their brain and abuse line of sight to break casts etc.

Furthermore, any class with a dot spec (madness sorcs, lethality snipers) can easily beat them by applying dots then running back out of range/los. Moving in range/sight only to reapply dots.

Finally, stealth classes (Asassins and Operatives) are basically designed to kill Snipers, as they can completely negate entrench.

A few points for you:

- ALL classes that can cloak and sneak up. Very, very hard counters indeed!

- A competent mara/ sent that initiate the fight without first leaping in.

- Madness/ Balance spec'd Sorcs/ Sages. DOT and LOS a Sniper/ Slinger and watch him/ her cry!!

- Gaurd/ Jugg: UNREMITTING/ UNSTOPABLE <-- such a pain!

- Sniper/ Slingers counter Sniper/ Slingers very well. As a Sniper/ Slinger myself i prioritise opponent Sniper/ Slingers very high.

- Note, A sitting Sniper/ Slinger (whilst cannot be lept too) is a sitting duck Sniper/ Slinger.

- Sniper/ Slinger can be lept too/ pulled when moving..

- Tanks should (imo) use single target taunt on this class asap.

- LOS can effect their DPS dramatically depending on spec or force them to get up a move (forgoing crouch defensive benefits).

Orbital Strike and AoE Fire cast directly on top of themselves, cluster bombs, Hunker Down,

The above is Engineering/ Sab spec and can only be done once in a while. It effectively mitigates against melee only for a brief period of time. These abilities have the most obvious animations in the game so just move out of they way.. Melee should not be trying to death match at this time! Ranged however, can go to town!

big knockback with roots, stun knife, flashbangs, etc.

Take up resolve and have to be carefully managed.. Annoying to other classes for sure particularly if the Sniper/ Slinger is good but certainly not game breaking. This class needs everyone of those abilities to remain competitive.

Edited by CrixusBoR

Dunno about using taunts on a Gunslinger/Sniper, I prefer to save them for the army of smashers.

Army of smashers = aoe taunt :)

if the Sniper has set up camp and is not being addressed i.e. attacked or taunted he/she can do massive damage (preferably to your poor healer) in a very short period of time.

Stealth classes counter them hard, both stealth classes have a knockdown coming out of stealth move which makes it so the slinger/sniper loses their cover, then when the sniper/slinger finally gets back into cover just stun them and they should be dead before they had a chance to do anything.

There are 3 hard counters to snipers.

Assassins, especially sin tanks - These guys do high damage. They have root break on force speed. They have 5 second stun immunity and their deflection couple with high defense can render almost all gunslinger attacks useless for 12 seconds.

Prototype powertechs - Very rarely used spec and I am really at a loss as to why. 8 seconds of root and knockback immunity coupled with high elemental attacks. Almost all their basic rotation is tech. They don't need any accuracy at all and hence will be surge heavy. They also have -30% aoe damage and take 30% less damage when stunned which is **** ROTFL!

Immortal/vengeance hybrid jugs - These guys are the tankiest tanks in the game. Too tanky for gunslingers to do any real damage too before they die.

Edited by JackNader