Why progression threads are dumb

Until Bioware gives armory like support so an external website can monitor real progression these threads are dumb and lead to hilarious situations like this link

http://www.exceptionallegion.com/home/m/11920157/page/7

I'm sorry Exceptional legion your not world wide 19th on dashrood your more like 80th maybe higher. Very few guilds post in the Suckafish thread. Multiple pug groups each week easily clear past him let alone guilds.

And tonight even if you kill titan no you wont be the first republic guild to do so on POT5.

Edited by SilentFury

Of course they're not world 19th. Anyone who follows progression in TOR knows that. There are two guilds on my server that got Dash'roode over a month ago (one that has gotten it with two separate groups), but neither of them post to the world thread. We're all aware that there are plenty of guilds that fit the same mold.

With that said, the progression threads are still a useful tool for those who choose to compete in a self-selecting community. Without such threads, we wouldn't have seen DiLiH's world first clear of Nightmare Dread Guard 8 man, or the world first 16 man clears from Severity Gaming. I mean, we would have seen them eventually, but only if we were watching those particular guilds (I had never even *heard* of DiLiH before the TfB NiM progression). Server-specific progression threads are really useful too, since they provide a powerful recruiting tool and a way for prospective players to evaluate the accomplishments of the guild they're considering.

The concept of a "world rank" is what's really dubious here. I think it's fair to say that DiLiH deserves 1st on any sort of world rank scale, and I don't think there are many who would challenge that (they got world first clears on both NiM instances). Suckafish is probably 2nd. Beyond that, things get too murky and too self-reported to have any accuracy. Frankly, anyone claiming to have the world "nth" clear of something where "n" is greater than 5 is almost certainly wrong. Does that mean that progression threads are worthless? No, you just have to remember the caveats that they carry.

Calling out specific guilds is definitely not a good idea, btw, since it is both specifically against the ToS and also generally an annoying thing to do.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

Gotta agree with KBN here, I'd chop the 8man progression at first-5 and the 16man at first-10. After that, things get inaccurate and whatnot. I do like having them, even for HM tiers, as it provides a usually-constructive organization for the community. It allows for some factual basis for recruiting, and allows similar guilds across servers to share streams and progress.

Say what you will about 16man progression (ex. people get carried, dps checks are lower, blah, blah, blah) but the fact remains that those bosses tend to stay up longer than the 8man ones, and the progression threads provide a small incentive for guilds like <Chosen> to keep players motivated and recruit new ones toward full clears.

The real problem is that a google doc updated via forum posts is ridiculously exclusionary - you need to be frequent on the forums, and I have a feeling that many guilds aren't. Additionally, the updates are dependant on the OP, and while the people doing the updating in this case are usually prompt and do a good job keeping up to date, the guarantee is not there.

This also leaves the door open, as Silent says above, for people to claim whatever the heck they want, since it's very hard to fact check when many guilds aren't even represented on the spreadsheet, whether it be because they don't like it or that they don't know it exists or whatever.

In order for progression raiding in SWTOR to be taken seriously, there needs to be an armory/api, full stop. Otherwise ranks are based on speculation and heresy.

Edited by Arenatah

2nd time you've referenced that and I have to say, don't have a single idea what the hell you're talking about.

we had scheduling issues not much of a headstart. We arent going to be participating in the progression this round but yeah we downed first boss and 3% on 2nd before folks had to go to work.

Sounds like casual raiders and or goldfish died.

I understand the pain I was once at a WCG event in Canada and my roommate called and told me my guinea pig died. It was rough to deal with then wcg got rid of all the records and I had to just deal with it.

End of the day I knew who and what people got from the event.

Edited by JDotter

Sounds like casual raiders and or goldfish died

So as a result in every single thread we post in you're going to talk about dead goldfish?

Keep forcing the meme I guess, maybe it'll take off. It'd probably help if it were at all funny and didn't have to be explained.

So as a result in every single thread we post in you're going to talk about dead goldfish?

Keep forcing the meme I guess, maybe it'll take off. It'd probably help if it were at all funny and didn't have to be explained.

Keep being complete *******ees because you need some form of official verification so guilds can't mistakenly rank themselves out of enjoyment of having killed a boss they were excited to kill.

I get the point the way silent presented it was poor and inconsiderate to those who it takes longer to achieve kills.

Edited by JDotter

Keep being complete *******ees because you need some form of official verification so guilds can't mistakenly rank themselves out of enjoyment of having killed a boss they were excited to kill.

I get the point the way silent presented it was poor and inconsiderate to those who it takes longer to achieve kills.

Pretty sure anyone with a reading comprehension above the apocryphal goldfish recognizes that the core issue silent was getting at was participatory progression threads are vastly inferior to an armory and API, and that the thread topic was not about denigrating the accomplishments of others just because they happen to be behind.

Hence the thread title.

Pretty sure anyone with a reading comprehension above the apocryphal goldfish recognizes that the core issue silent was getting at was participatory progression threads are vastly inferior to an armory and API, and that the thread topic was not about denigrating the accomplishments of others just because they happen to be behind.

Hence the thread title.

^This.

Dead goldfish doesn't even qualify for meme status. At least "mathematically impossible" had enough people behind it to send it to forced meme status

Edited by Arenatah

Hence the thread title.

Is that what he was getting at? You are getting hung up on this goldfish it can't be casual raiders can it?

For the sake of I like tene, kakk, furyan, ainslee imma stop here.

Night.

Is that what he was getting at? You are getting hung up on this goldfish it can't be casual raiders can it?

Night.

I referenced the goldfish because your reading comprehension is terrible, not because anyone's "hung up" on it.

Until Bioware gives armory like support so an external website can monitor real progression these threads are dumb and lead to hilarious situations like this link

http://www.exceptionallegion.com/home/m/11920157/page/4

I'm sorry Exceptional legion your not world wide 19th on dashrood your more like 80th maybe higher. Very few guilds post in the Suckafish thread. Multiple pug groups each week easily clear past him let alone guilds.

And tonight even if you kill titan no you wont be the first republic guild to do so on POT5.

Lame callout for a lame reason.

You probably vastly increased the number of people who visit their page by linking it.

Those who care will know the minutia of who scratched dashroodes nutsack first or who teabagged the kell dragon first.

But when you feel the need to call people out for something irrelevant like:

We won't take credit for a republic side first or a World 19th because it is not ours.

That's really very petty.

I'm not sure what the issue is with ranking thing based on voluntary submissions. Though I get a little confused with some of the convoluted ranking sheets used, in general I like to see who actually cleared the instance when.

It would be great to see something more official, but what we have so far seems to work. The competition is not with all groups in existence, but those that choose to participate in the threads.

Celebrating the killing of one boss is a little silly, which is where this thread started. It seems like this is a case of some relatively casual players who wanted to make themselves feel a little more hardcore, and celebrate their own achievement. Not really a compelling reason to blow everything up.

Edited by izmirtheastarach

http://www.exceptionallegion.com/home/m/11920157/page/7

So what if they're not the best, they have a group of guys who all get along and try real hard. Just because you don't kill it first doesn't make you not worth your existence. Keep trash talking these lesser guilds, add in the lack of content, and there goes your games population. Get off their sacks for being excited about something. Whether they're 19th or 300th, they still killed it, easy or not it's an accomplishment for them.

That's certainly the most mature response I have seen so far. I'm sure that downing it for the first time gave those folks the same sense of satisfaction that it gave any of us. Whether they are are 5th or 50th, it is at the end of the day a game. No harm in people enjoying it. Edited by izmirtheastarach

Night.

I love this, Carl finally hung up is troll pants, and now another member of hatred has to step it up :), why cant every guild be as persistent as hatred when it comes to destroying forum topics :)

I love this, Carl finally hung up is troll pants, and now another member of hatred has to step it up :), why cant every guild be as persistent as hatred when it comes to destroying forum topics :)

Eh I destroyed this one because it was extremely rude. I agree with the point 100% just not the way it was presented.