Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Personal Armies - Another New Game Mode Suggestion (sort of)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Strongholds
Personal Armies - Another New Game Mode Suggestion (sort of)

G_Hosa_Phat
10.16.2015 , 09:26 AM | #1
I haven't been as active playing SWTOR lately due to a number of RL situations and such, but I still really enjoy jumping in-game periodically to check on the state of the galaxy. I'm truly excited by the upcoming changes for KotFE, and can't wait to play my "Outlander". However, as I've posted in a few other threads (see the links in my signature), one thing I still feel could make a substantial impact on the overall "playability" (and player retention) of this game is the addition of new game modes. I've put together some rough but detailed outlines for two such game modes (Onslaught Arenas and Field Commander). The third one (Capture & Command) could probably use some fleshing out, but is another good example of an interesting new game mode I would be excited to see added.

All that being said, I've come up with yet another suggestion to throw on the pile. This one (which I'm calling "Personal Armies" for now) stems from my brief engagement with the mobile game, Game of War: Fire Age. Perhaps it's not as much a "new game mode" as it is an upgrade to some of the existing framework used for Galactic Strongholds and such, but I can envision this as being tremendously engaging for players of just about any skill level.

While I haven't worked through all of the details in my head yet, the general idea is this: Your character is already a "well-respected" member of their faction (or, at the very least, an infamous figure in the galaxy), and has considerable influence. Capitalizing on this influence, your character uses their Galactic Stronghold as a base of operations, and has started building a personal army to defend themselves/solidify their power base. They will recruit/train this military force to increase its size. Additionally, they will be researching new training methods and such to improve the army's effectiveness. On top of this, the character will also be researching and building defenses and fortifications for their Galactic Stronghold to withstand enemy attacks.

Periodically, the character can embark on quests that will provide additional resources to improve their army and/or stronghold. They may also choose to send their army on quests that give them an opportunity to gain combat experience, which may be beneficial in the event of an enemy army attacking.

In addition to quests, the character may choose to invade/attack another character's Galactic Stronghold. The attacking character would send a set number of troops from their army to the other character's stronghold, at which time, whatever army the latter character has encamped there (and whatever defenses the character has built) will attempt to repel the attack. This could happen at any time (including times when the player is offline), so each player/character would want to spend time and credits (and possibly CC) building and bolstering their army and defenses to withstand as much as possible.

One thing I would prefer not to translate from Game of War would be the "speed ups", unless they were severely restricted. There may be ways to reduce the amount of time it takes to accomplish certain tasks, but these would be in the form of "research" that your character can perform to enhance certain areas of production - i.e., you can research Cloning to reduce the amount of time it takes to train new units for the army, or you can research Improved Fabrication to produce defensive structures more quickly. Perhaps you could research Jedi/Sith Archives to improve your ability to research other such upgrades. These research options would be an overall improvement to the specific area of production, and would apply equally to everything produced in that area.

Another thing that doesn't need to come over would be the "hero" concept. My thought is that YOU are the hero of your army. There may be things from that element of the game that could be implemented (such as specific abilities/upgrades to be used by your character in this game mode only), but this idea just doesn't seem to be necessary in SWTOR.

Now, I can already hear some of the arguments against parts of my proposal - most specifically the part where your character's army can be attacked at any time, regardless of whether or not you're logged on. I know that Game of War provides push notifications to your phone, as well as in-game mail notifications to let you know when an attack is incoming. Since SWTOR doesn't currently have a smartphone app that can communicate with the game world, the former option is pretty much out the window unless EA/BW decides to invest time in developing something of that nature (which would be awesome - especially if it had additional features like Crew Skill management, character viewers and such). That leaves us strictly with in-game notifications of some sort. Like I said, I haven't thought through everything yet, but there's got to be a way to make this work.

Some alternate ideas for this "game mode" would be to make it more of a guild thing than a character-centered thing. Also, instead of tying it into the Galactic Strongholds system, there could be planets pretty much devoted to this, or even (in the case of it being a guild-based system) tie it to the guild flagships. In fact, perhaps making it a guild-based system with flagships as the base of operations would actually be a better way to go overall.

Regardless, I'd love to hear any feedback you may have on the idea. As I've stated so many times before, I firmly believe that the addition of new game modes such as this and the others in my signature (if decently executed) would be a tremendous way to reach out to a huge new player-base and get them interested and excited to join the SWTOR community.
The Starbreeze Legacy (Jung Ma) - Istarra | Alhana
Firestorm Alliance | Evil Purple Spider Monkeys

NEW GAME MODES: Field Commander | Onslaught Arenas | Capture & Command | Personal Armies
34th Degree Text Mason - Building Walls of Text Since 1997 - My Referral Link

G_Hosa_Phat
10.16.2015 , 09:35 AM | #2
Dangit, I meant to post this in the Suggestion Box forum, not Galactic Strongholds.

Guess I'll have to post a link to this topic over there now.
The Starbreeze Legacy (Jung Ma) - Istarra | Alhana
Firestorm Alliance | Evil Purple Spider Monkeys

NEW GAME MODES: Field Commander | Onslaught Arenas | Capture & Command | Personal Armies
34th Degree Text Mason - Building Walls of Text Since 1997 - My Referral Link