Gunshipes Ruining Starfighter

Korithras

I can't be the only one out there who feels this way, but gunships are the worst thing about starfighter. They're OP and cheap as hell. Whereas with strike fighters and scouts the game is about actual dogfighting, trying to chase down, outmaneuver and shoot down your opponent, with a gunship it's more like shooting ducks at a carnival. Essentially those players who have no sense of sport or no skill when it comes to flying use them.

I would propose that, as much as I would like to see them removed entirely, they just need a redesign. Make them the ship that focuses extensively on guns over missiles, but get rid of the long range cannon and just what would amount to a bigger energy pool with better regen than any other type of fighter. Essentially, whereas with other fighters you have to be smart and not shoot at nothing and run your batteries dry, with a gunship you could hold down the trigger for a really long time before you deplete the supply of energy you have.

I don't know, this is just one idea, but they really need to be nerfed or redesigned imo.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're actually very easy to shut down if you learn to stop flying slow in a straight line at them.

I'm not saying they're impossible to kill, or that I can't kill them. They had better hope that their first shot kills me when I'm in a scout otherwise I close the distance on them so fast they won't have time for a second. :p The point I'm trying to make is that the best games that I've played in have had few or no gunships at all, and I think that says something about the design of the ship.

The problem with the gunships, really, is the railgun. It's a no-delay weapon: the shot literally moves instantaneously from the firing point to the target. There is no chance for it to be evaded. Even laser bolts and missiles can be dodged, but not railshots. Yes it's annoying but it's ridiculously unfair and most importantly, extremely un-Star-Wars in my opinion. Railguns mounted on starfighters? Since when? Since never. Only in SWTOR.

The game mechanic is horrendous for this weapon and it's what makes me wish most days that gunships were just gone entirely. Watching four gunships rain down rail-gun shots, all in formation to combine fire against two separate satellites simultaneously and cover each other against everything short of a full-team assault on the things, was a plain enough repeated scenario for me to realize how imbalanced..... terribly imbalanced it is.

Ok there are snipers in FPS games, but really it's hard to get the 1 hit kill head shot in most of these games. It is very easy to get the shot in GSF. You do not have to hit one particular spot on the enemy, any spot on the enemy will do. I think that is where Bioware dropped the ball with the gunship idea.

Yes, gunships have weaknesses, but the weaknesses do not make up for a heavily upgraded gunship in a moderately good players hands. Most of the good players stay at distance and then run back to the carrier if someone comes for them.

Edited by NathanielStarr

Ok there are snipers in FPS games, but really it's hard to get the 1 hit kill head shot in most of these games. It is very easy to get the shot in GSF. You do not have to hit one particular spot on the enemy, any spot on the enemy will do. I think that is where Bioware dropped the ball with the gunship idea.

Yes, gunships have weaknesses, but the weaknesses do not make up for a heavily upgraded gunship in a moderately good players hands. Most of the good players stay at distance and then run back to the carrier if someone comes for them.

Essentially, like I said either the players with no sense of sport or no skill at flying the ships that require you to get in close use the gunship. The gunship is just cheap and needs nerfing or redesigning.

Most of the good players stay at distance and then run back to the carrier if someone comes for them.

A gunship that runs all the way back to the capitol ship is essentially the same as a kill. He's back where he'd be if he'd exploded and his engines are likely depleted taking him that much longer to get back to the fight.

another Gunship OP post, firstly gunships are easy to kill, theres many "decent" scouts/fighters on my serve that kick crap out me, if im left alone ill rip the battle field up lol

think of them like a sniper in ground pvp, if left alone one of the best DPS, once targeted properly go down quick and easy. learning what ranges a gunship helps.

example: gunship railguns are 15k range. u step in that range in front of them ya dead, b4 u step in that 15k range also make sure u got ya abilities and full engine power, F3, and barrel roll closes that 15k gap VERY FAST even if engine not fully upgraded.

and never sit next to a gunship stationary using ya blasters, if we have blasters upgraded we can actually do some nice damage rip u apart while making u miss us :). key to it is move and keep moving while downing a gunship.

after testing bombers on test server youll be thankful for gunships power and they will be busy with bombers.

Edited by mattycutts

I can't be the only one out there who feels this way, but gunships are the worst thing about starfighter. They're OP and cheap as hell. Whereas with strike fighters and scouts the game is about actual dogfighting, trying to chase down, outmaneuver and shoot down your opponent, with a gunship it's more like shooting ducks at a carnival. Essentially those players who have no sense of sport or no skill when it comes to flying use them.

I would propose that, as much as I would like to see them removed entirely, they just need a redesign. Make them the ship that focuses extensively on guns over missiles, but get rid of the long range cannon and just what would amount to a bigger energy pool with better regen than any other type of fighter. Essentially, whereas with other fighters you have to be smart and not shoot at nothing and run your batteries dry, with a gunship you could hold down the trigger for a really long time before you deplete the supply of energy you have.

I don't know, this is just one idea, but they really need to be nerfed or redesigned imo.

Honestly, I remember you.

Why? Easy pickings. I'm not saying that to troll you, at all. I remember you straight and level, heading for what ever target you were after. When it was me, you were full boost, beelined straight into my railgun.

Tip: When you fly straight at a gunship, you're essentially a stationary target, in that gunship's sight picture. Even a gunship noob you could wipe you out before you ever became a threat.

Don't tunnel out so hard, man. The best Scout and Striker pilots always attack gunships in packs. Why? Even if the Gunny pops one or two of you, chances are once you've managed to close to your weapon range, that Gunship is dead meat.

Gunships aren't fast, or maneuverable, they're big, slow targets. Honestly, attacking from range is our best defense. When you fly straight at us, you're playing our game, not yours.

I hope this helps. You seems like you play to win, and that's always a good thing. Believe me, I understand the frustration.

...The point I'm trying to make is that the best games that I've played in have had few or no gunships at all, and I think that says something about the design of the ship.

I don't think this says anything about the design of the ship at all. This just says that you prefer dogfighting over group tactics. Adding more playstyles brings more players in and makes the game much more involved.

The only real problem with gunships is that Ion Railguns apply their full assortment of drains and debuffs at full power, regardless of charge. IMO, it should do NOTHING without a full charge, but I'd accept matching the effect with the charge % (IE, half charge = half drain). The drain and debuffs should not jump. Add to the fact that it has an AoE component, and two gunships working together in voice chat can easily invalidate an entire squadron and give them NO CHANCE in way that no other ship can.

The damage and lack of missiles is acceptable. I would also argue barrel roll has no place on a gunship, but since rotational thrusters don't break lock, I can understand why they have it.

The only real problem with gunships is that Ion Railguns apply their full assortment of drains and debuffs at full power, regardless of charge. IMO, it should do NOTHING without a full charge, but I'd accept matching the effect with the charge % (IE, half charge = half drain). The drain and debuffs should not jump. Add to the fact that it has an AoE component, and two gunships working together in voice chat can easily invalidate an entire squadron and give them NO CHANCE in way that no other ship can.

The damage and lack of missiles is acceptable. I would also argue barrel roll has no place on a gunship, but since rotational thrusters don't break lock, I can understand why they have it.

this.

that Ion Railgun needs a, minor, nerf.

i also agree 100% that Barrel Roll should be removed from gunship engine options and give Rotational Thrusters a missile-lock break.

yeah I agree that ion should only apply effect based on charge, but as for barrel roll I disagree, as you said its the only way to break missile lock, and also I don't see the big deal about that, if I am barrel rolling and trying to escape the scout on my tail I ain't helping me team, I am just trying to save my own a**.

Lastly, 2 gunships working together, 2 or 3 scouts can take them out still, or send them running, and 2 gunships would only be good for 1 node, they can't be everywhere at once and the enemy team can attack any of the other two nodes the gunships are not on.

And as for main topic, just wait til bombers come out, trying to get balancing changes before the new ships are added will not do as much good, its better to wait and see first.

Edited by Sangrar

yeah I agree that ion should only apply effect based on charge, but as for barrel roll I disagree, as you said its the only way to break missile lock, and also I don't see the big deal about that, if I am barrel rolling and trying to escape the scout on my tail I ain't helping me team, I am just trying to save my own a**..

barrel roll gives gunships an amazing amount of speed and maneuverability they just flat out shouldn't have.

power-to-engines then roll-boost-roll and I'm at a node in a gunship almost as fast as I can get there in a Strike Fighter and certainly quick enough to give that fast scout a bad dose of slug-burn.

give rotational thrusters missile-lock break ability and remove barrel roll from gunship engine options.

I'll tell you what I think should be removed from the game. Are the ones who whine about other player/player styles because maybe they got shot down one too many times and does not know how to fly!

Quit your whining!! Gunships not only belong in the game (snipers) but they are every bit as easy AND hard to kill depending on the skill of the player. As someone who exclusively plays gunship I will be the first to tell you its no free ride AT ALL. There are scouts and even strike fighters who are the bane of my existence, they simply know how to build and how to fly.

To say they Gunners are "cowards", off shooting fish in a bucket while the Scouts and Strikers are dogfighting in what you believe to be the honorable way, just means thats your style, front line. Snipers in all form of combat play a crucial role in the fight.

I would advise you to stop crying about other classes and learn how to play yours. Maybe then you wont get owned so much ;p

barrel roll gives gunships an amazing amount of speed and maneuverability they just flat out shouldn't have.

power-to-engines then roll-boost-roll and I'm at a node in a gunship almost as fast as I can get there in a Strike Fighter and certainly quick enough to give that fast scout a bad dose of slug-burn.

give rotational thrusters missile-lock break ability and remove barrel roll from gunship engine options.

Wrong......

All way too often seeing the other class sayin/telling what their opponent should not have simply means you do not know how to play your own. I play gunship and barrel roll is crucial,. without it, I would be an easy (too easy) of a kill. Gunships compared to SF and S have lousy speed and agility. That ONE ability can only be used ONCE every one min. and that one minute is a DEADLY long time in a dogfight when being chased by zippy the scout!!!!!

Wrong......

All way too often seeing the other class sayin/telling what their opponent should not have simply means you do not know how to play your own. I play gunship and barrel roll is crucial,. without it, I would be an easy (too easy) of a kill. Gunships compared to SF and S have lousy speed and agility. That ONE ability can only be used ONCE every one min. and that one minute is a DEADLY long time in a dogfight when being chased by zippy the scout!!!!!

Facts, perhaps you should check them: Barrel Roll starts with a 15s cooldown that can be further reduced with upgrades.

imho: it's not an ability gunships should have.

Edited by dancezwithnubz

Facts, perhaps you should check them: Barrel Roll starts with a 15s cooldown that can be further reduced with upgrades.

imho: it's not an ability gunships should have.

He's right about the CD, but without Barrel Roll, or some sort of escape ability, ALL Gunships, would be dead within seconds of being spotted. Why, because packs of 3 to 6 enemy ships will break off and run you down the very second you rip off a couple quick kills, and/or are seen.

Don't worry, you'll get your fish in a barrel with the bombers.

Oh, for those of you that think Gunship=Easy Mode, you're dead wrong.

My guns need to be charged before hitting for effective damage, and then we have to hit a dot zipping across the screen, and in the case of good pilots, actively maneuvering to avoid being picked off. Just because some of you scout and striker pilots can't seem to figure out that flying in a straight line equals a quick respawn doesn't mean the Gunships are OPed.

And Yes, I do fly Scouts and strikers on occasion, and pretty much exclusively anymore, when not faced with a serious threat in the form of an organized team.

He's right about the CD, but without Barrel Roll, or some sort of escape ability, ALL Gunships, would be dead within seconds of being spotted. Why, because packs of 3 to 6 enemy ships will break off and run you down the very second you rip off a couple quick kills, and/or are seen.

Which is why you need YOUR strike fighters to do THEIR job and protect your gunship.

besides, gunships have Interdiction Drive as an escape mechanism.

Which is why you need YOUR strike fighters to do THEIR job and protect your gunship.

besides, gunships have Interdiction Drive as an escape mechanism.

They do... After I barrel roll into the fray and call for a clean up.

Or would you prefer I park and wait patiently for you to kill me?

Or would you prefer I park and wait patiently for you to kill me?

please, let's not descend into base, petty sarcasm. especially when gunships can, and regularly do, instagib me from halfway across the map.

gunships need some minor tweaks to bring them down a peg or two. i'm not calling for massive nerfs, just remove some clearly overpowered abilities from their roster, to whit: ion railguns applying their full effects from less than a full charge and barrel roll giving a supposedly slow and un-maneuverable gunship the kind of speed and maneuverability one expects from strike fighters.

please, let's not descend into base, petty sarcasm. especially when gunships can, and regularly do, instagib me from halfway across the map.

gunships need some minor tweaks to bring them down a peg or two. i'm not calling for massive nerfs, just remove some clearly overpowered abilities from their roster, to whit: ion railguns applying their full effects from less than a full charge and barrel roll giving a supposedly slow and un-maneuverable gunship the kind of speed and maneuverability one expects from strike fighters.

There you wrong, until the barrel roll engine is maxed out., until the slug is upgraded 3 times, bare minimum, they are Just So-so. That is a barely second long burst of whatt amounts to straight line speed, meant to take a gunny out of close range, which can be easily closed by a decent pilot in ANY scout or strike.

Whereas, your suggest alternative, the Interdiction drive, used in conjunction with Full boost, won't take a gunship from fullstop firing position to out of range of a moving burst built Scout in time to save the airframe. A good burst builds can literally shred a full shield, full health GS in two accurate salvos. This has nothing to do with the Gunship's offensive power. It merely keeps the gunny from dying a flaming death for a few seconds, more if the gunny pilot is worth his boots.

For the record, I agree with you, on the Ion effects. It should be graded with the charge. But then again. I don't use the stop regen effect., as I prefer the AOE and throwing the brakes on them. In most situations where I take the first strike, my Ion is at half charge, if Not full.

Why? I want to take out your shield AND Ding your hull, leaving you exposed for teammates or a follow up slug.

A lot of you scout jockeys seem to thing Big and Slow should mean "Easy Kill." I'm really not sorry to disappoint you..

Also. Do you notice a red flash, as the Gunny speeds away? If so you just took a hit from a feedback shield. Which, has the option, when maxed, to do 690 dmg, and drain 25 energy from weapon and engine pools. Maybe that's why those Gunnys seem so much faster than you after they barrel roll away.

Edited by NotThatOne