Fighting a losing battle

Ashley_Hollings

Just after some advise really. I had been waiting for this game to come out for so long and I was so excited, it came out and I've had great fun playing it up to now :(

I'm at level 28 jedi sen and as I said it has been great fun up until now, the valis battle was trying to say the least spending 60-70k before defeating him and now I have no cash for speeder training or a speeder. But now to top this off once again I'm stuck trying to defeat praven which just isn't happening, I'm trying to interrupt, not working and when it does work it's not cooling down in time for the next attack. As well as this I haven't the cash the rank up on abilities which is also holding me back.

Basically I've hit a point where I haven't played in like 2 weeks as it's frustrating doing the same thing over and over and getting no where, really sucks as it makes me feel like not bothering anymore but I don't want to quit, I want to pull through and enjoy this game to max but i need a helping hand in the right direction :o

I want to make friends and use mic's for team talk and general banter while questing, I done all this on a PS3 mmo and enjoyed every momment of it and left that for this game.

Please help and any advise welcome :)

ASk someone to help you defeat Praven. I have heard that playing a Jedi Sentinel is like playing the game on ultra hard. I had someone assit me in beating Praven...you need to kill lots of beasts and stuff to get tings to sell to get more $$...Good luck

Do your space dailies as well for creds. The first 5 missions you should be able to breeze through.

Not too sure on the republic advanced classes (I do have a JK lvl 31 though), but you may have to change what companion you are using (not sure if you would have a healer yet).

As the previous poster also suggested, ask for some help.

Make sure your gear is all up-to-date, and also your companions.

Sith warriors and Jedi sentinels are what people usually roll when they first play cause of the cool factor. However they are not easy to play. I would recommend maybe a Commando (Trooper) or a Mercenary (Bounty Hunter). They both get their healer companions very early. And the class themselves are slightly overpowered (imo).

Definitely space dailies as it will help you ride out through some tough times for awhile even if it means putting off questing for a bit you can get some cash flow built up again. This saved me many time over. Just go out and kill stuff and sell all your junk loot. You get quite a bit of money just from vender trash and maybe pick up slicing for a bit to get some extra credits without spending money on the missions. Before you know it you will be back in the running and able to get things upgraded etc. Just takes a little time and patience and we have all been there just starting out. By the time you start a second toon you will have a lvl 50 to make most of the money for you...........:)

My first char was a marauder and i did fine all the way through til 50. Its all in knowing your skills and how to play your character. There is no cool factor involved. I had a harder time with my sorc.

My 1st goal was to save for a speeder,If you have 2 charactors you can send credits to your 2nd, but 1st run through i killed everything i saw for like 20 levels and looted everything.

repeat space battles uhm.... just do stuff your cash will build back up faster than you think.

My 1st charactors only lvl 38 ... taking my time.

Edited by CygnusMX

Just after some advise really. I had been waiting for this game to come out for so long and I was so excited, it came out and I've had great fun playing it up to now :(

I'm at level 28 jedi sen and as I said it has been great fun up until now, the valis battle was trying to say the least spending 60-70k before defeating him and now I have no cash for speeder training or a speeder. But now to top this off once again I'm stuck trying to defeat praven which just isn't happening, I'm trying to interrupt, not working and when it does work it's not cooling down in time for the next attack. As well as this I haven't the cash the rank up on abilities which is also holding me back.

Basically I've hit a point where I haven't played in like 2 weeks as it's frustrating doing the same thing over and over and getting no where, really sucks as it makes me feel like not bothering anymore but I don't want to quit, I want to pull through and enjoy this game to max but i need a helping hand in the right direction :o

I want to make friends and use mic's for team talk and general banter while questing, I done all this on a PS3 mmo and enjoyed every momment of it and left that for this game.

Please help and any advise welcome :)

Hey Ashley :) This is an MMO, so if you are having trouble there is no shame at all in asking for help. The Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior classes are certainly among the hardest to get to grips with, because they are melee types with little intrinsic self-heal capability. So unless your server is very thinly populated, call out in General chat and ask for someone to help.

Making sure your gear and the gear of your companion (probably T7, as the Sent is a DPS type, so you will typically benefit more from a tank companion than DPS like Kira) is up to scratch is a must.

Grinding mobs and selling the items that drop from them, either to npc vendors or in many cases on the Galactic Trade Network wil see to your credit balance, and it will also help boost you toward the next adventuring level, which in turn will make the fight with Praven easier.

The best thing you can do, especially for class missions is level. My main is a JK Guardian, and the only mission I had to have help with is the last one. Make sure you log out in a rest area so you accumulate rested xp. When you get into new areas, do all the missions. My guess is that you're in a hurry to get to "end game" and are missing missions.

I pretty much did every mission I could find, including bonus missions. I have not done any pvp, and I have only done like 3 space missions. I dinged 50 well before I hit Ilum, and was generally at least 2 levels above my missions. Those couple of levels can mean a huge difference when attempting your class missions. If you're still having trouble getting a couple of levels, then do your space missions or pvp, it really does help. Good luck!

As said above JK's are pretty hard to play until you get your healer character "Doc" in the early 30's levels.

Do not spend fortunes on attempting the same boss over and over again unless you change something that can make a difference to your performance - this will only use up your credits to no effect e.g. try a different companion, try using different abilities than previously, better gear, add a level or two with other quests. Having said that make sure you are using all your abilities to the utmost effect - interupts you mentioned, what about your self heal tick? Its on a long cooldown so dont waste it. Pop it at the start of the fight, it heals your companion too. Have as high a level medpac as you can use, ready on your action bar to gain you a few more seconds before death.

I rarely used Stims, Selfheal, medpacs etc on a first attempt at a boss. Due to the voice interaction you rarely start at a positional advantage after the cut scene, so use the firat attempt to assess the boss' abilities a work out your strategy. If the boss has add npc,s kill them first, it will cut down on the damage you recieve, and, if you fail, they should not have re-spawned for the second attempt (there are exceptions with some bosses where the adds respawn on a reset)

Best of all ask for help if it really is a sticking point, there is no shame in it. If you were on the same server as me I would gladly help, and I am sure you will find a plentiful supply of helpful players to come to your aid.

I'm at level 28 jedi sen and as I said it has been great fun up until now, the valis battle was trying to say the least spending 60-70k before defeating him

Just out of curiosity - what did you spend 60-70k on? Because I don't think I even had that much money at 28... Much less something to spend it on.

and now I have no cash for speeder training or a speeder.

I wouldn't worry too much about that. A speeder is certainly handy... Especially as you'd be questing around Tattooine around level 28... But you can live without it for now.

But now to top this off once again I'm stuck trying to defeat praven which just isn't happening, I'm trying to interrupt, not working and when it does work it's not cooling down in time for the next attack.

Praven's fight sucks. I first got that quest at level 25, and died about 5 times before I gave up on him. Came back at 28 and didn't have too much trouble - but I'm playing a Guardian, not a Sentinel.

Interrupts are absolutely essential. Don't dive in with your leap right away... Send your companion in to kick things off, and then use your leap as the first interrupt. Don't try too hard to steal aggro from your companion - feel free to let them get beaten to a pulp. Watch Praven's cast bar and interrupt anything and everything you can. Not sure how it is for Sentinels... But you should have more than one ability that'll interrupt/stun someone. Make sure you've got a couple of the biggest medpacs you've got.

As well as this I haven't the cash the rank up on abilities which is also holding me back.

Basically I've hit a point where I haven't played in like 2 weeks as it's frustrating doing the same thing over and over and getting no where, really sucks as it makes me feel like not bothering anymore but I don't want to quit, I want to pull through and enjoy this game to max but i need a helping hand in the right direction

Well... It's an MMO. They're inherently grindy.

If you don't have enough money, go earn some more. Go do some more quests. Or kill random things. Or wander around gathering stuff. Or whatever. Space missions are a good source of coin as well.

And if you can't kill Praven, go grind up some more XP. Run through flashpoints a few times.

I want to make friends and use mic's for team talk and general banter while questing

Well, that is what makes MMO's fun...

As for the mic, I don't believe there's support for that built-in to TOR. You might need to run something like TeamSpeak or Ventrilo for that.

But there's usually plenty of banter in general. And I've found that folks are usually quite willing to help out.

I done all this on a PS3 mmo and enjoyed every momment of it and left that for this game.

Do any of the folks you played with on that PS3 MMO now play TOR?

Thanks for all the replies people.

Yes I had 60-70k and spent it all on medipacks, stems and armour repairs stupidly! Nope I'm not rushing through to get to the end game, completing all quests, missions and bonus missions apart from heroic ones as never seem to be able to find anyone to team up with. I would like to get in game 'mentoring' as such from someone with the things like where to go and make sure armour is up to scratch and, I've tried calling out in general chat for help with no reply :(

See I didn't know that space missions are dailys doh! Pretty sure I haven't done any flashpoints either, is there somewhere I can learn all this stuff? No I don't think any of my other mmo friends are on Swtor :(

I'm playing on bloodworthy server if there's anyone out there willing to help, I would love to become apart of a guild and fully enjoy this mmo.

Yeah, don't be afraid to bottom feed for a while to build up some credits. In addition,for those REALLY bad boss battles? You can find medkits on the market that'll work better than your medpacks. Some are designed to heal you and your companion both at once, others give a superior heal and also a heal-over-time for good measure. Pop them early, not late if they have a heal-over-time, so they'll be able to do more work.

Also, check to see if any of those nasty effects have a range. Some are targeted on a spot, others have a range of melee-only. If you're not there when they go off? You're not feeling any pain as a result- then jump back in and resume pounding.

My basic impression is that your level is the most important factor of all in deciding the outcome. If there is more levelling within reach for you, go get it and then return to he boss.

Secondly, the boss fight may require a specific tactic that you haven't yet figured out, and so a bit of analysis of the area and the boss' behavior is time well spent.

If you're on level with the boss and die like 20 times without ever coming close to him going down, you're doing something fundamentally wrong.

If I get to "10 minute" deaths twice with an opponent, I go elsewhere to raise my level 1-2 notches.

All fights on all levels are soloable, for sure.

What skill tree are you using for Sentinel?

It's my opinion that the most effective tree for Sentinel to solo PVE, is Watchman.

Read up on this skill tree, and use the "burn" damage over time attacks that you can stack on a target.

My sentinel was useless until I respeced my points into watchman for burn down DOTs.

ASk someone to help you defeat Praven. I have heard that playing a Jedi Sentinel is like playing the game on ultra hard. I had someone assit me in beating Praven...you need to kill lots of beasts and stuff to get tings to sell to get more $$...Good luck

Sentinel/Marauder leveling is the easiest thing I've ever done in an MMO ever though. O.o

What skill tree are you using for Sentinel?

It's my opinion that the most effective tree for Sentinel to solo PVE, is Watchman.

Read up on this skill tree, and use the "burn" damage over time attacks that you can stack on a target.

My sentinel was useless until I respeced my points into watchman for burn down DOTs.

I'm speced to watchman I belive.

I am just going to have to dedicate a certain time in the day as swtor time and just grind the best I can!

I'm speced to watchman I belive.

I am just going to have to dedicate a certain time in the day as swtor time and just grind the best I can!

Finding a newbie-friendly guild can be a lot of help. Some people get quite the enjoyment helping/mentoring others. Ask in general chat if such one exist.

EDIT; Sorry, should have read your second reply beforer replying. But basically. Ask in general chat for help. Using humour in asking also helps a lot :)

Edited by Veniras

Finding a newbie-friendly guild can be a lot of help. Some people get quite the enjoyment helping/mentoring others. Ask in general chat if such one exist.

EDIT; Sorry, should have read your second reply beforer replying. But basically. Ask in general chat for help. Using humour in asking also helps a lot :)

I'll give it a go and see what happens :)

Question does team speak only work if connected to someone's channel?

My first char was a marauder and i did fine all the way through til 50. Its all in knowing your skills and how to play your character. There is no cool factor involved. I had a harder time with my sorc.

I agree with this, to a certain extent. I'm on my first character, which is a level 40 Sentinel, and I've only had moderate problems to this point. Valis was difficult, but I could still count on one hand how many tries it took for me to beat him. The Sith Harrowers were a close second, in difficulty.

There kicker is, I'm a serious n00b. I dabbled in WoW, and an iOS MMO called Order & Chaos. I never leveled any of my characters, in either game. I've learned a lot played SWTOR, to be sure, but I wouldn't consider myself nearly as experienced as other players, many of which claim that playing as a Sentinel is "ultra hard".

So, I don't know. Make of that what you will.

Who's to say there's not a general swtor server? Thats why I asked as I've not used it before...

As far as the information available there isnt' any general swtor server for voice atm. Whether that changes remains to be seen.

Some use voice and others don't, that is normally a preferance.

But as most have said try to find some help if you need help and most of all have fun.

Edited by ScarletBlaze