No droids or Jawas for creatable characters...but what about disguises?

LordArtemis

I can understand why droids and certain non-humanoid species might be a problem...camera issues, romance issues, etc....but what if you allowed disguises?

A disguise generator that would transform you into a Jawa, or droid, wookie, etc...you would simply transform back to your normal appearance when in dialogs and other similar sequences where camera location and interaction with other characters is important...much in the same way your headgear disappears.

So, you would look like the disguise generator plugin while running around, but cutscenes would have you looking normal.

Note that certain disguises already exist in the game, and that disguise disappears temporarily when you enter cut scene sequences.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by LordArtemis

That's a neat idea. In a way, I think they're already moving towards something like this with the series 505 armour that makes you look kinda droidish...maybe even something like 'costumes' would work. You could buy a wookiee costume...basically armour, that looks like a wookiee...or whatever creature floats your boat. I think that could work. The helmet or headpiece of the costume can pop off in the cut scenes...so I think that would still work out. :)

Edit: I posted the costume idea in suggestions...

Edited by Lunafox

Love the 505 armour, and I'm all for disguises. In one of the storylines, a certain character can assume the identity of a gonk droid. Which is hilarious. Why not implement more holo disguises?

"GONK! GONK! (Deactivates disguise generator and draws lightsaber and cuts down a few imperial troops runs behind a wall and activates generator

"Gonk Gonk?"

• 2 weeks later...
Love the 505 armour, and I'm all for disguises. In one of the storylines, a certain character can assume the identity of a gonk droid. Which is hilarious. Why not implement more holo disguises?

Yea, thats the thing, there are already missions in the game where you don disguises, and they completely change how you look, but when you leave an area or the instance you change back to your original look.

This is how this could be done with dialog scenes, romance, etc. You have the disguise up as an appearance thing, but it drops when you enter into dialog.

• 2 weeks later...
"GONK! GONK! (Deactivates disguise generator and draws lightsaber and cuts down a few imperial troops runs behind a wall and activates generator

"Gonk Gonk?"

Hehe. Well, I'm not sure it should be for a power droid, but I think it would work for appearing like a Jawa or Wookie, or a full droid if you wanted that.

It would work much like the different appearances do for companions that wear armor but keep the same look...you would don the "disguise" or perhaps it would be a buff you would activate, and then you would look the way you want.

They could disable it in PVP and have it dispell any time you enter into dialog. You would have to then perhaps reactivate it.

• 1 month later...
That would make the game even more Absurd as it is right now BUT as for the Droids, Well the last Cybertech body armor they released makes you look like a droid...

I don't agree. I think it would broaden the game's overall appeal, as it adds more appearance options without effecting any of the missions or PVP.

That's a neat idea. In a way, I think they're already moving towards something like this with the series 505 armour that makes you look kinda droidish...maybe even something like 'costumes' would work. You could buy a wookiee costume...basically armour, that looks like a wookiee...or whatever creature floats your boat. I think that could work. The helmet or headpiece of the costume can pop off in the cut scenes...so I think that would still work out. :)

Edit: I posted the costume idea in suggestions...

/support, the Agent storyline was good at this point, surprised it wasn't used more.

You've got my support on this one! I would really like to be able to play as a Jawa, and this would be a really easy way to allow that without having to listen to their chattering during coversations.

Do you think they'd be able to make it so you could keep the disguises on while in combat? I have to wonder if there would be mechanics issues there, but running around and fighting the Dread Masters as a Jawa would be hilarious.

As a full time use item no, I think that would be too much. But as a special event item I think it would be fun. Another game I played for a while had holiday transformation items many times and we always had fun with them. Imagine a whole OP of Jawas or Wookies :) It could be a lot of laughs, but not as a full time item. That would take some of the specialness out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
You've got my support on this one! I would really like to be able to play as a Jawa, and this would be a really easy way to allow that without having to listen to their chattering during coversations.

Do you think they'd be able to make it so you could keep the disguises on while in combat? I have to wonder if there would be mechanics issues there, but running around and fighting the Dread Masters as a Jawa would be hilarious.

I think it could work as a combat item. Since we have characters (NPCs) that already fill most of the roles we would fill the animations should already exist.

• 5 months later...
No, the Gonk disguise is for IMPERIAL Agents only. It's a class specific mission item.

I would point out, as an addendum, that there is a disguise quest, if I am not mistaken for both sides....in one I believe you are a droid, in another you dress up as that particular faction to gain entry to a locked area.

In both cases the disguise changes how you look, I think one is a "buff" and the other is an actual chest piece you wear.

It wouldn't work. Not to the degree you're thinking anyways.

In order for a race or disguise to be playable in any capacity outside of running and jumping they need to have/share the same skeleton that the playable body types have.

Something like a Jawa wouldn't be able to use a majority of the mounts in the game for one.

I think it could work as a combat item. Since we have characters (NPCs) that already fill most of the roles we would fill the animations should already exist.

No, while their are Jawa NPCs in the game that have combat animations, they don't have nearly the amount of animations that a player character has and it's not like you can just copy and paste the existing animations over. Like how would a Jedi/Sith Jawa work? The answer is it couldn't, they have way too many combat animations that are dependent on not only the size of their body's but also their lightsabers as well. A Jawa couldn't use any of the lightsabers in the game without serious graphical issues.

To make a smaller race like a Jawa or Ewok work or be playable even as a disguise would take some serious effort and ultimately wouldn't be worth it end especially if you're limiting what people can do with it.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, they could offer the disguise then as a "movement only" item, where any action other than movement would shut it down. That way it would not be used in combat at all.

is it possible though to add movement to the disguise? hear me out the Bounty Hunter has a Jawa Companion named Blizz, which means they have movement patterns set up for Blizz. While those movements are not set for player combat abilities and therefore the disguize would have to shut down for combat, do you think its possible though to at least get to run around as a jawa using the movements for jawas they already use on blizz and modifying it a bit?