Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A Call For Reason, Patience And Reflection For The Roleplayers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
A Call For Reason, Patience And Reflection For The Roleplayers

EightiesMonkey
10.04.2017 , 06:35 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Ylliarus View Post
But this is not what RP is... or at least not the RP we are talking about. *snip* .
I am aware, I RP on Progenitor as I mentioned in a previous post, I was just making a joke in response to what it seems people who don't RP see RP as.

I actually have a character similar to the one you describe too. Nice to see backgrounds of peoples characters
Warning: The Above User May Express Views That Are Meaningless & Insane.

Feel Free To Use My Referral Link.

Tsillah
10.04.2017 , 06:39 AM | #102
It's clear from the livestream from last night that nothing has been done for the server merges to facilitate RP'ers. They have, however, seen our questions about it and said they will see what they can do to create a "safe space" for RP'ers.

Just don't expect it on November 8th.
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

NHBabe
10.04.2017 , 06:44 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by EightiesMonkey View Post
I for one can say I do group content the same as everyone else But as to what they imagine RPers doing in group content I imagine it goes something like this:

Imagine if you will Black Talon - Yadira Ban fight.

[Raider1] [Group]: Lets go, we are nearly there, last boss.
[Roleplayer] [Say]: I must say for a Jedi your attitude is not really appropriate...
[Raider2] [Group]: Dude! Are you serious right now.
[Roleplayer] [Say]: Your light saber technique could do with some work my dear, but your manipulation of the force is exceptional.
[Raider1] [Group]: Seriously are you gonna help or not?
[Roleplayer] [Say]: You do not have to die Yadira, you could become my apprentice...
*squad wipes and a series of rage quits follow*

[Edit]: In response to those who don't want to see RP/the text involved, you could do what some RPers do and hide the chats you don't want to see. For example when I am RPing I change the chat box settings to hide General Trade and PVP by creating a new chat tab, called "RP". Problem solved., when I am done or during a break or what not I can switch back to the General tab or quickly turn them back on.
I honestly LMAO @ your description of a FP with an RP'er. Now I know that isn't what happens but can imagine that many probably do think that. I've actually done quite a bit of group content with RP'ers and they don't do anything any differently than a non-RP player. Yes there are some that want to watch the cut-scenes, but so do non-RP'ers that haven't done that content yet, so I see no real issue there.

I also do use chat filters but there are some that put their posts in the general chat for the area, and I don't feel I should have to give up seeing the general chat due to RP. That is really my only gripe with it. General chat in some areas (DK many of the time) is bad enough, when you add RP or ERP to the mix.....
"You're already dead. Just lie down." HK-51

"Die horribly!" HK-55

Ylliarus
10.04.2017 , 06:47 AM | #104
I am aware, I RP on Progenitor as I mentioned in a previous post, I was just making a joke in response to what it seems people who don't RP see RP as.

I actually have a character similar to the one you describe too. Nice to see backgrounds of peoples characters
I know, I just wanted to clarify for those who didn't know how RP works as there are a lot of players like that sadly.

But oh! Tell me about your character! I love hearing about other people's characters

The Sith Lord I mentioned I mained was a former slave from Serenno. He was discovered to be Force Sensitive when he killed his master by accident through the Force when she tried to force herself onto him. He was trained on Korriban and had a love affair with a Pureblood acolyte there. Both became Sith after having passed their trials but had to part ways as the Pureblood was the heir to a Sith family and they'd never accept him being in a relationship with a former slave. My character travelled to Dromund Kaas to serve the Empire until he'd find a Sith master and the Pureblood was taken as the Apprentice of a Sith Lord based on Ziost. The two never spoke to one another again. My character became part of an RP guild, the Darth's powerbase I spoke of, and would eventually find a master there. Eventually the Pureblood Apprentice died on Ziost saving his master when the Sith Emperor performed his ritual which was the moment that ny character truly gave himself fully to the Dark Side as a consequence of his former lover's death. He travelled to Ziost after things had quieted down and faced visions/apparitions there which shaped him to be a true servant of the Dark Side of the Force. Shortly after he returned from Ziost he became a Sith Lord in the previously mentioned Darth's powerbase and the lowly slave had become a master himself
ATTENTION: Include the Twi'lek into the 3 new eye colours from Appearance Options: Expanded Selections in the next patch. It was a huge mistake to not do this from the start as they are being grossly neglected as a playable species.
Oh yeah, and this is my referral link!

Sargrith
10.04.2017 , 07:07 AM | #105
I for one can say I do group content the same as everyone else But as to what they imagine RPers doing in group content I imagine it goes something like this:

Imagine if you will Black Talon - Yadira Ban fight.

[Raider1] [Group]: Lets go, we are nearly there, last boss.
[Roleplayer] [Say]: I must say for a Jedi your attitude is not really appropriate...
[Raider2] [Group]: Dude! Are you serious right now.
[Roleplayer] [Say]: Your light saber technique could do with some work my dear, but your manipulation of the force is exceptional.
[Raider1] [Group]: Seriously are you gonna help or not?
[Roleplayer] [Say]: You do not have to die Yadira, you could become my apprentice...
*squad wipes and a series of rage quits follow*

[Edit]: In response to those who don't want to see RP/the text involved, you could do what some RPers do and hide the chats you don't want to see. For example when I am RPing I change the chat box settings to hide General Trade and PVP by creating a new chat tab, called "RP". Problem solved., when I am done or during a break or what not I can switch back to the General tab or quickly turn them back on.
I have never seen that and I have been on Ebon Hawk a long time. I have seen a group of 4 troll a huttball match RPíing they were playing talking about throwing and getting open but not actually playing.....made for a short match and I laughed canít speak to what the rest of the team did though. I also canít be certain those were RPíer or just people out to troll RPíers but it was funny once.

What many RPíer do that can annoy people is listen to cutscenes. People will go stark raving crazy when you donít spacebar but many RPíers are all about the story so they sit through cutscenes because its story and they often spend the time deciding how to react based on their characters. This mostly happens in flash points obviously. RPíer sometimes but not always want to do the entire run, so skipping bosses isnít really for them, though many do just adjust to make it better for all.

I certainly have seen any form of public RP get ridiculed on TEH more than a few times. Even simple things like emoting smirks or salutes. Iíve seen people purposely disrupting public RP and certainly calling names or throw insults around. Much rp happens out of sight though even while you are doing an OP two people might be RPíing through whispers, private TS channels, other message services, and still be very actively helping with the op. A couple minutes between boss fights can provide more than enough time for them to RP without reducing their effectiveness in the op. Its harder when you are the main tank....but can be done.

The idea that there will be more people to RP with is....cute....but not entirely a huge plus. My rp guild has 354 active accounts and 990 characters in it, and we have to drop inactive members often. So yeah...more. I am not an officer of this guild nor been around super long but I donít believe they hold events in public places, strongholds, guild ship that is where they usually do them, and sometimes they do open the ship/sh up to the public to join in. It all depends on the event and who is running it.

Frankly RPíer will adapt. No matter how badly the devs run the game those dedicated to RP will make it work for themselves. No matter how broken the game if you enjoy the RP community you have and you donít care about game play that much you will simply adapt. I think the biggest issue will be the names, many hold their names as very important and while some will be ok if forced to change, others will not and they will either leave or simply give that character up. Joe is Joe and if he has to become Sam well I wont play him. I can see a few times that happening. And in the end while they stick around playing Bob whose name was not force changed their enjoyment of the game will be lessened.

These changes and the entire rollout stuff doesnít change much but could very well lessen peopleís fun. Which is a shame for a game clearly slowing down,

Tsillah
10.04.2017 , 07:10 AM | #106
I never role-played in an MMO, but I grew up with role-playing games of the pen and paper type.

When I started my first character in SWTOR, I created a background for her aswell once I learned that I was brought in as a slave to Korriban.

It's been a while but my character was a child of a powerful Sith family that was destroyed by rivalling Sith Lords. As a newborn baby she survived the ordeal simply because her birth was kept a secret and an escaping servant brought her to a faraway colony that houses nothing more than a secret orphanage. The servant returned home and made the ultimate sacrifice by flying his ship into a sun so that no trace of the child could be found.

The orphanage in fact is a location that is used more often by noble lords and ladies who have inconvenient children. As my character grew older it became clear that she could do more than others and her force-sensitivity was discovered. This meant a danger to the orphanage, so the keeper of the orphanage sold the young teenager to a Bounty Hunter who was happy to strike up a reward for bringing in a force-sensitive Sith Pureblood girl to Korriban.

At least that was the official story, but instead of being brought to Korriban, the Bounty Hunter sold her to a Republic, SIS-funded scientist who offered big money for force-sensitive Sith as test subjects with a goal to find weaknesses in the Sith pureblood physiology and psychology that could be used against them.

After a long period of years of torturous tests and abuse, her pain and suffering led to an uncontrolled lightning storm that killed the scientist and ripped part of the structure apart allowing her to escape. She stole a small freighter and escaped back to Imperial space.

Having arrived there she was intercepted by an Imperial patrol that took her prisoner. A Sith Lord on board helped her take control of herself but used her as a slave till finally she became inconvenient. On a whim he decided to ship her off to Korriban as no doubt the Sith trials would end her slave life.

And so her story on Korriban began...
Don't freak out, I'm just here by the grace of a referal. Nothing more.

Malphicious
10.04.2017 , 07:36 AM | #107
Question? I seriously don't know because I don't RP beyond story immersion if that's even considered RP, but what about making it a point to give out keys and request keys to multiple known RPSH's. Sure it will limit you from what's done now, but there has to be ways around the worst of the worst trolls if you are willing to adjust a little. No one likes change. Especially the amount of change you might have to make, but I'd love to see and hear some of this. Don't wanna do it myself, I'm not that creative, but who knows, you guys may actually have a positive impact on others and the game more than it has a negative impact on you. As a non Rp er, I agree with the Op. Give us a shot to prove you wrong. Our trolls are really easy to butthurt and make log off or alt. With your creativity, you'll probably have no problem shutting them up and you might have fun doing it. Just think of them as tragic victims of force crush to the brain, and now they're a little mental, but we allow them to run around with foam sabres dipped in fruit juices. Show us what you got. I''m looking forward to attempting to meet you but not quite following whats going on so I smile and walk away waving.

orangenee
10.04.2017 , 07:39 AM | #108
Malphicious is right, trolls are easy to counter-troll and RPers are far more creative than most of us regular players. We just log on to whack things and brag about our PvP/PvE peens.
SWTOR Referral link: http://www.swtor.com/r/Kqsyhb #FreeMalgus #MarrReborn

Jedi_riches
10.04.2017 , 09:28 AM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by orangenee View Post
Malphicious is right, trolls are easy to counter-troll and RPers are far more creative than most of us regular players. We just log on to whack things and brag about our PvP/PvE peens.
Maybe they are but they shouldn't have to.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

kodrac
10.04.2017 , 09:32 AM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by BuckeyeWolf View Post
In case it was missed this game is going from 17 servers to 5. That's not the sign of a healthy game population and in most cases you will still probably not see many people out and about so these "fears" of rampant trolling are most likely unfounded.
The internet is full of dbags and from what I've read over the last few hours, a lot of those dbags seem to be RPers. From rude, arrogant, and even condescending replies to the melodramatic everyone is going to troll us crap. Just stop. Most of you probably know next to nothing about the servers you're being merged with other than what you read on the forums yet you label everyone from a non rp server as a troll
Yeup, exactly. Due to some RPer's behavior yesterday, I am not convinced any special accommodations need to be made.
One FREE character transfer -> CLICKY plus 7 days FREE -> FAQ