Post FOTJ Novel announced: Crucible

Tuscad

A new novel called Crucible has been announced and is set for a Spring 2013 release and is being written by Troy Denning, it is set a year after Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse.

"Denning says he's doing a novel about a year after Apocalypse ends. It stars the Big Three, and starts in a cantina, "and yes, Han shoots first." It'll be set in a new part of the galaxy, that's new to readers. Lando is involved, no grandkids."

―Newsarama.com reporting Troy Denning intervention during the SDCC 2012

source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crucible_(novel)

What does everyone think this will be about? I think maybe

more Abeloth and the daggers?

Edited by Tuscad

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of curiosity and ignorance, who are the Big Three? I don't really read the novels or subscribe to fan sites so I don't know if that is fan lingo or if that is something from the books.

My only guess would be that if it's slang it's something like Han, Luke and Leia or something.

My only guess would be that if it's slang it's something like Han, Luke and Leia or something.

You are correct, Luke, Han and Leia are the big three. They are the three main characters that carried over from the films and are still alive (droids don't count), I believe that is where the term came from.

Edited by Tuscad

A new novel called Crucible has been announced and is set for a Spring 2013 release and is being written by Troy Denning, it is set a year after Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse.

"Denning says he's doing a novel about a year after Apocalypse ends. It stars the Big Three, and starts in a cantina, "and yes, Han shoots first." It'll be set in a new part of the galaxy, that's new to readers. Lando is involved, no grandkids."

If it's a year after Apocalypse then I don't see her/it being involved. Might have something to do with the Lost Tribe, maybe even Vestara. We'll find out next year.

Really looking forward to this novel. While I love and appreciate all of the other characters in th NJO and Legacy Era, I'm happy that there making a novel soley for Han, Luke, Leia and Lando.

To address your point on what my thoughts are surronding a plot, I dont think it'll be about Abeloth or the Dagger. Abeloths just been killed, so it seems unlikely that they would revive her immeidately. Similarly the Dagger is unlikely to be addresed as a core element of the plot, as being a "Stand-alone book" Its more likely to be addressed as an indirect metion, or a refence to there progress finding the Dagger and the Monolith. The Dagger would more likely be addressed in greater detail in the next series.

I think, like how "Millennium Falcon" introduced the setting of FoTJ, "Crucible" and I expect "X-Wing:- Mercy Kill" will introduce the setting of the next series.

I actually have to disagree with you on this. I've been anxiously awaiting the announcement of a Post FoTJ book, wondering what is happening with Ben, Vestara, Jaina and Jag. Don't get me wrong, I love the big Three, but that's why I'm more excited for their new Comic series post Ep IV. They are getting very old, and Han and Leia's relationship is pretty secure. Meanwhile there are so many things up in the air for the next generation Jedi, and Darth Krayt.

I'm excited to read the Jag/Jaina short that's coming out, but I want more! I want commitment! I want another huge 15 book saga! Like I said I'm obviously gonna read Crucible, and I'm most likely gonna love it, but I don't want to hear a standalone book announcement, I want MORE!!!!

I actually have to disagree with you on this. I've been anxiously awaiting the announcement of a Post FoTJ book, wondering what is happening with Ben, Vestara, Jaina and Jag. Don't get me wrong, I love the big Three, but that's why I'm more excited for their new Comic series post Ep IV. They are getting very old, and Han and Leia's relationship is pretty secure. Meanwhile there are so many things up in the air for the next generation Jedi, and Darth Krayt.

I'm excited to read the Jag/Jaina short that's coming out, but I want more! I want commitment! I want another huge 15 book saga! Like I said I'm obviously gonna read Crucible, and I'm most likely gonna love it, but I don't want to hear a standalone book announcement, I want MORE!!!!

Well if it makes you feel any better, Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void was also announced, I just didn't say anything about it. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Dawn_of_the_Jedi:_Into_the_Void

Pretty much here, they screw up the FOTJ series. Vestara was a great character and deserved to be a regular character for EU in SW. She should have gotten Ben Skywalker.

Pretty much here, they screw up the FOTJ series. Vestara was a great character and deserved to be a regular character for EU in SW. She should have gotten Ben Skywalker.

I know,

they should have had her and Ben end up together

they always screw up on the endings. This is similar to how LOTF would have been better had they imprisoned Caedus.

I just hope this new book is good, I haven't been very impressed with them lately. As for the 9+ book story arcs, I think they need to end and they need to go back to the trilogy format. I tried reading FOTJ but by book 5 I had to go back and thumb through the first 4 to refresh my memory so I gave up and I might pick them up again once they are all out in paperback. Edited by jtjohnson

As for the 9+ book story arcs, I think they need to end and they need to go back to the trilogy format.

A very good point. I recently went through the Thrawn Trilogy again and really liked the arc of it. I also was a big fan of the Bane Trilogy. So that would be very interesting to see set in the recent time period.

In response to what was said about the ending and Vestara, I am actually very happy with what ended up happening with her. As it was getting closer to the end, I wanted them to be together, but I wouldn't want her to change. Vestara is a Sith, and if the Legacy comics are really going to come true, her and Krayt have a lot to do.

Before Legacy happens, several key things have to occur.

-The Fel family has to reclaim the empire

-The Imperial knights must be founded (in contradiction of the sith)

-The Sith must ally with the Empire (while the Knights are still around and philosophically opposed to the dark side)

I love the Big 3, but I'm just so curious about the future...

A very good point. I recently went through the Thrawn Trilogy again and really liked the arc of it. I also was a big fan of the Bane Trilogy. So that would be very interesting to see set in the recent time period.

In response to what was said about the ending and Vestara, I am actually very happy with what ended up happening with her. As it was getting closer to the end, I wanted them to be together, but I wouldn't want her to change. Vestara is a Sith, and if the Legacy comics are really going to come true, her and Krayt have a lot to do.

Before Legacy happens, several key things have to occur.

-The Fel family has to reclaim the empire

-The Imperial knights must be founded (in contradiction of the sith)

-The Sith must ally with the Empire (while the Knights are still around and philosophically opposed to the dark side)

I love the Big 3, but I'm just so curious about the future...

Didn't Dark Horse say that the Legacy comics are a "what if" universe? Something about Lucas/Del Ray not being cool with locking down a time frame close to where we are?

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS ONLY READ IF YOU READ EXPANDED UNIVERSE AND ARE COMFORTABLE READING ABOUT LEGACY OF THE FORCE, FATE OF THE JEDI, LEGACY, AND RUMORS :)

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS ONLY READ IF YOU READ EXPANDED UNIVERSE AND ARE COMFORTABLE READING ABOUT LEGACY OF THE FORCE, FATE OF THE JEDI, LEGACY, AND RUMORS :)SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS ONLY READ IF YOU READ EXPANDED UNIVERSE AND ARE COMFORTABLE READING ABOUT LEGACY OF THE FORCE, FATE OF THE JEDI, LEGACY, AND RUMORS :)SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS ONLY READ IF YOU READ EXPANDED UNIVERSE AND ARE COMFORTABLE READING ABOUT LEGACY OF THE FORCE, FATE OF THE JEDI, LEGACY, AND RUMORS :)SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS ONLY READ IF YOU READ EXPANDED UNIVERSE AND ARE COMFORTABLE READING ABOUT LEGACY OF THE FORCE, FATE OF THE JEDI, LEGACY, AND RUMORS :)

I thought that they had said that it was a possibility. To kind of leave it up in the air as to whether the the events that changed the who was sitting on the throne actually helped save the future. Personally I think that completely ditching everything from Legacy is a waste of some really cool material.

I just had a thought and maybe its just a good idea for a fanfic, but if the events of Legacy were a "What If" or just one alternate reality path that the universe could have taken, then a lot of the characters and developments still have to be there.

Ex: If there is a reality in which i ate an apple and I ended up growing up to be a doctor, and another reality in which I didn't eat an apple and became a lawyer. Yes my decision would change some of the galaxy, but most people that were going to be born would still be born, and most stuff would still happen.

We know that Krayt exists. He has been in almost every recent comic series and now in the books. We know that Jaina and Tahiri, two Jedi with a huge caution towards the dark side are getting cozy with the Imperials, and that the Imperials have been looking for force users to join their ranks and are tired of Sith. We know the "One Sith" are on Korriban from the Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi series, and we know that Vestara knows that there are Sith on Korriban, and that her and ship are very good at helping groups grow from a single ship to a fleet. Notice that in Legacy there is no mention of Abeloth, if stopping her saved the future, it didn't stop the future that Legacy was, because Abeloth never ruled that galaxy.

We also have no reason to believe that Vestara and Ben do not eventually have get married or have children. There hasn't been any mention of what happened to Ben Skywalker in any of the Legacy material. They could even have an illegitimate child (like so many people in Ben's family), then Ben could save the child and raise it Jedi while she dies a Sith.

There has been a lot of talk about Zahn doing books post Fate of the Jedi in which Ben helps the Empire of the Hand and they work with a clone of Grand Admiral Thrawn to help "save the galaxy." They've promised that Crucible will tell us a lot about what's to come.

Another think to discuss getting back to this book, here are two definitions of crucible:

1: A ceramic or metal container in which metals or other substances may be melted or subjected to very high temperatures.

2: A place or occasion of severe test or trial: "the crucible of combat".

Which definition do you think applies to the upcoming book? Will there be some kind of Crucible Device (ME3 much?) of unknown power? Will they build it or discover it?

OR..........Is the crucible merely alluding to a test or trial of the body, mind, or heart?

Didn't Dark Horse say that the Legacy comics are a "what if" universe? Something about Lucas/Del Ray not being cool with locking down a time frame close to where we are?

Nope it's cannon.

There have been a couple of vague statements, but so far it is cannon.

If anything is likely to be struck it should be the books. But despite Legacys flaws, War's ending inparticular, Imperors' LOL lets kill everyone, and both author pets made it stand out though it went down hill after 'claws of the dragon' and the fact that Cade was the only protagonist (I feel he should have been a co-lead with Sia, it is MUCH more popular and well written then any book after TUF, except for Betrayal.

So long and short NO LEGACY IS STILL CANNON.

Also not looking foreword to the book, mainly cause I don't like Denning,HATE Sab, also a HERO is someone who acts good, NOT someone who we are told is good or should ASSUME is good based upon previous actions if their current ones are evil. If it was say Stover or JJM, or Luceo I would be excited but not Denning had my fill of him at Apocalypse, when it became apparent he only deals in Black and less Black morality and thinks Luke is an GOD, who no mortal could hope to fight even on his worst day. Really sucks the tension out of a fight.

Edited by Ausstig

Dude.... Luke is totally a God............................................HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I know its blasphemes, but I'm way more a fan of EU than the movies, so I really don't have that much love for Luke Skywalker.

I love Mara, Lumiya, Jacen, Jaina, Amelia, Anakin Solo, Ben Skywalker, Cade Skywalker, Vestara Khai, Savage Opress, Darth Bane, Starkiller, Juno, Exar Kun, Ulic Qel Droma, Darth Revan, even Bastilla, the Nightsisters, Krayt, Tahiri, Abeloth, Talon, Kyle, Deliah, Maladi, Nihl, Sion, Wyyrlok, even Jag Fel, but not much love for Luke Skywalker.

More than half the people I just listed would destroy Luke in a 1 on 1 match in their primes. When Luke isn't cheating double teaming through the Spirit world.

Nope it's cannon.

There have been a couple of vague statements, but so far it is cannon.

I seem to recall it being mentioned at a panel... Oh well... I doubt Legacy will remain canon. Many EU book fans hate it and the comics have always been less well received than the novels. Doubt it will stay in.

As to the poster that said, "Many things still have to happen..."

Here is the working theory as to why Legacy probably won't happen. We also know that some of it can't happen now.

That was the entire point of Jacen's vision.

Jacen saw Darth Krayt on the throne of balance. He specifically changed destiny to prevent that from happening. In doing so he released Abeloth.

This caused the Sith to act.

In Legacy's history the Sith remained hidden until around 127 ABY. Abeloth however changed that and the Sith outed themselves to the entire Galaxy (including the Empire) during the Abeloth incident. This means that the Empire is now on guard for them.

Also Krayt never revealed himself in the Legacy history to Luke Skywalker. In the FotJ books he actually did, Luke now knows he is out there, something that he didn't know before.

Krayt won't make it to the throne of balance, which is required for Legacy to take place.

Likely Jacen Solo's use of flow walking disrupted the possibility for many of the events to take place that created Legacy. Instead I expect us to see a war between the Sith and the Jedi coming up that replaces the Legacy timeline.

Didn't Dark Horse say that the Legacy comics are a "what if" universe?

Not at all. If any change occurs to Legacy, you'd be far more likely to see it pushed back in the timeline than removed. The only things that change because of this are numbers and a few questions about Krayt, Tr'a Saa, and K'kruhk's longevity which we can respectively presume will be explained as "Force statis, Neti can live long (see Ood Bnar), and K'kruhk's hat did it."

Legacy being written before Apocalypse accounts for why Krayt doesn't say "By the way, there was this one time, for twenty minutes, with this thing called Abeloth...". Alternatively, it is explained by Denning trying to attempt a continuity link in a spot where one was not really necessary to begin with. Really, what does FOTJ gain from Krayt's actual, physical presence? Not a whole lot. It was rather left field and very poorly implemented fan service used to fill in a mystery that Denning clearly had not planned an answer to at the series' beginning.

But regardless, the minor continuity change caused by Apocalypse doesn't sudden wipe out what comes after it. You know canon too well to truly think that. All it does it add a "This and...". Foggy window and all that. It also doesn't change because Apocalypse actually writes in an escape clause.

Simply put another way: Jacen's vision doesn't really work that way (ie. "You're not remembering things correctly".) Mostly because Jacen's actions, we are told in Apocalypse, were not to prevent the Dark Man. It was to prevent Allana from standing at his side. Jacen pretty much outright states that the release and defeat of Abeloth doesn't necessarily prevent the eventual rise of the Sith.

As to the new book: wonderful news. Now I know what not to spend my money on.

Edited by AlyxDinas

In one of the future novels it would be funny if an author did a complete 180 and had the novel reveal that the legacy comics was a vision that a character received. "The future is always in motion." In my personal opinion I think they did the Legacy comics wrong by having them take place too close to the novels, I think they should have had it take place in at least 500 ABY. Edited by Tuscad

I feel I should amend my comment up above, if only slightly. I was only slightly off in my recollection. On page 409, Krayt offers the notion that Caedus only delayed the future he saw. I had mistakenly (and somewhat ironically) attributed this to Jacen. Still, this is pretty consistent with what we know and what we are told in sourcebooks. For instance, the Essential Guide to Warfare still includes Legacy's events with no change and still includes information relevant to Apocalypse at the same time.

I was still correct about Jacen, however. On the following page, he admits that "...the dark man had nothing to do with my decision." It was all because he saw Allana standing with him. That seems to be the thing Jacen's actions changed and not necessarily the eventual rise of the "Dark Man".

I seem to recall it being mentioned at a panel... Oh well... I doubt Legacy will remain canon. Many EU book fans hate it and the comics have always been less well received than the novels. Doubt it will stay in.

As to the poster that said, "Many things still have to happen..."

Here is the working theory as to why Legacy probably won't happen. We also know that some of it can't happen now.

That was the entire point of Jacen's vision.

Jacen saw Darth Krayt on the throne of balance. He specifically changed destiny to prevent that from happening. In doing so he released Abeloth.

This caused the Sith to act.

In Legacy's history the Sith remained hidden until around 127 ABY. Abeloth however changed that and the Sith outed themselves to the entire Galaxy (including the Empire) during the Abeloth incident. This means that the Empire is now on guard for them.

Also Krayt never revealed himself in the Legacy history to Luke Skywalker. In the FotJ books he actually did, Luke now knows he is out there, something that he didn't know before.

Krayt won't make it to the throne of balance, which is required for Legacy to take place.

Likely Jacen Solo's use of flow walking disrupted the possibility for many of the events to take place that created Legacy. Instead I expect us to see a war between the Sith and the Jedi coming up that replaces the Legacy timeline.

edit; missed your opening line

At the end of the day Legacy was Dark Horses second most successful comic, after Buffy, and was better received by fans and casuals then the train wreaks that have been the multi author series, they also used the Vong more then anything after TUF, Dark Nest did it's best to pretend the war never happened and Denning seems bent on ignoring the Vong altogether, he is the main author doing this as A.A. has a Vong in "Mercy Kill". So going by that LOTF and FOTJ, should be declared non-cannon. :p:p:p:p:D

Also comics and novels are the same level of cannon, they can't override the other.

edit: Crucible was the name of an organization in the KOTOR comics that kidnapped people and made them become gladiators.

Edited by Ausstig

edit; missed your opening line

At the end of the day Legacy was Dark Horses second most successful comic, after Buffy, and was better received by fans and casuals then the train wreaks that have been the multi author series, they also used the Vong more then anything after TUF, Dark Nest did it's best to pretend the war never happened and Denning seems bent on ignoring the Vong altogether, he is the main author doing this as A.A. has a Vong in "Mercy Kill". So going by that LOTF and FOTJ, should be declared non-cannon. :p:p:p:p:D

Also comics and novels are the same level of cannon, they can't override the other.

edit: Crucible was the name of an organization in the KOTOR comics that kidnapped people and made them become gladiators.

Comics and Novels are both C canon... Yes... However C-Canon can override C-Canon. The priority goes to the most recently published work.

Also no. The Legacy comics were not better received than say... Fate of the Jedi... Which was one of the most successful EU works out there. So yes... The novels can override the comics and it has been indicated multiple times that LA doesn't want Legacy as canon.

Note:

Though Dinas was indeed correct. The actual quote was:

"Legacy is problematic. We don't want to be constrained by the timeline presented in the comics. Recent events in the books may have served to undo some of the events depicted in the Legacy comic book series or at least delay them enough so that we don't feel boxed in by the very close timeline. In general it is never a good idea to set a book "in the future" so close to the current time, personally it also seems odd, due to the lifespans of some of the races involved and the high level of medical technology, for all of the movers and shakers in the novel series to be gone in less than 200 more years."

I'll look for the video link, copied that from a transcript.

Edited by ProfessorWalsh

My turn to catch up on the discussion.

First of all, the Sith in Legacy do not represent the Sith from Fate of the Jedi. The One Sith movement had been existing on Korriban for a long time, talking to Lumiya even before Caedus's rise. Vestara even lied about their presence so that the Jedi have no idea of their existence or location.

I think that Legacy is a great contribution to the canon. One of the things I love about Episode 3, is that years before we knew that one day this movie would have to come out, and Anakin would HAVE to fall to the dark side, and the galaxy would HAVE to go to hell.

With Legacy it told us that in 130 years the galaxy would be a very different place and that a lot of stuff would have to happen before we got there.

As for the ranking of Canon, Star Wars has been incredible in the sense that their canon all connects. Whenever I read a Star Wars book new things that spark my interest, which in turn make me want to read more books. I remember reading about Lumiya my first time and being completely drawn in by the character. Getting my hands on marvel issues and getting a chance to see her lightwhip in action. I remember reading Krayt's real name and looking into his youth. A side character in a video game can become a main attraction one day, if the fans blog enough about it, and now everyone is takes every detail so seriously (see people's reaction to Mass Effect books) Star Wars isn't going to ditch any characters that they've invested that much time, money and attention towards. It would be a waste.

My turn to catch up on the discussion.

First of all, the Sith in Legacy do not represent the Sith from Fate of the Jedi. The One Sith movement had been existing on Korriban for a long time, talking to Lumiya even before Caedus's rise. Vestara even lied about their presence so that the Jedi have no idea of their existence or location.

I think that Legacy is a great contribution to the canon. One of the things I love about Episode 3, is that years before we knew that one day this movie would have to come out, and Anakin would HAVE to fall to the dark side, and the galaxy would HAVE to go to hell.

With Legacy it told us that in 130 years the galaxy would be a very different place and that a lot of stuff would have to happen before we got there.

As for the ranking of Canon, Star Wars has been incredible in the sense that their canon all connects. Whenever I read a Star Wars book new things that spark my interest, which in turn make me want to read more books. I remember reading about Lumiya my first time and being completely drawn in by the character. Getting my hands on marvel issues and getting a chance to see her lightwhip in action. I remember reading Krayt's real name and looking into his youth. A side character in a video game can become a main attraction one day, if the fans blog enough about it, and now everyone is takes every detail so seriously (see people's reaction to Mass Effect books) Star Wars isn't going to ditch any characters that they've invested that much time, money and attention towards. It would be a waste.

They actually do that kind of thing pretty regularly.

See "The Clone Wars" and read the original Zahn trilogy. Two completely different explanations for the same named event. Yes, likely parts of Legacy will get retconned if the entire series doesn't get pushed back a hundred or more years.

Personally... I hate legacy.

Once Luke Skywalker is gone from the novels... That is the day I stop reading the EU. Star Wars dies with Luke Skywalker.

I think everyone can agree that the prequel trilogy was pretty unique. And I highly doubt that you would stop reading EU considering you write such good quality stuff set in a time so far away from Skywalker.

I'm actually in the process of re-reading the Thrawn trilogy, it's re-sparking my appreciation for Mara and Thrawn, I just have a hard time relating with Luke in most material.

I feel that he jumped to the Master role way to soon, one of the reasons I like older periods and the future is that there are more people that have been through things, and it isn't just Luke Skywalker Superstar always leading the way and guessing what to do. Even with a larger group of Jedi, he is so separated from the rest that they can't possibly see him as an equal.

Edited by TonyShadman