Republic characters - which has most scope for being believably "dark"

davanev

Mostly played Empire so far as the Republic seems just too "nice" for me. I prefer my characters dark. Not actively evil but certainly not the stereotype hero. Which of the classes is easiest to play dark ? Not full on Ds but as a ruthless, unpleasant character ?

Are any of these possible

Consular - A DS leaning consular, arrogant and cold, out for personal power, hiding his true motivation from the order, and maybe even his companions. A potential Dark-Jedi on the rise.

Knight - Ruthless, win at any costs, not DS as such but coldly efficient and not caring who gets hurt in the crossfire.

Soldier - In this not for the Republic but because killing and blowing up stuff is fun - if he was an Imperial he would blow stuff up for them.

Smuggler - genuine criminal, credits first second and third, not a Han Solo wannabe. Maybe I will help the Republic, but only for the money and because the Empire would make earning a living harder.

Knight - Ruthless, win at any costs, not DS as such but coldly efficient and not caring who gets hurt in the crossfire.

A vast proportion of the JK's Dark Side options are simply killing opponents. A few others are refusing to help the weak and helpless. "No loose ends" and "no redemption, because I don't believe people can change" are viable concepts to add to the "I don't care about collateral damage" attitude.

Soldier - In this not for the Republic but because killing and blowing up stuff is fun - if he was an Imperial he would blow stuff up for them.

Trooper I haven't finished, but you can get a lot of Dark Side points by hiding your intentions from your allies, opening fire early for no good reason, and handing horrific weapons to the Republic instead of destroying them. You can be secretive, cruel, aggressive, and inclined to give your bosses more killing power - the last element is very significant in the Trooper line. It's hard to enjoy maximum destruction because you don't see most of those superweapons deployed, but you can have the time of your life with firefight after unprovoked firefight. Definitely a lot of potential for a dark, unpleasant person here.

Consular - A DS leaning consular, arrogant and cold, out for personal power, hiding his true motivation from the order, and maybe even his companions. A potential Dark-Jedi on the rise.

Consular I can't speak for.

Smuggler - genuine criminal, credits first second and third, not a Han Solo wannabe. Maybe I will help the Republic, but only for the money and because the Empire would make earning a living harder.

Smuggler can be a jerk. Extorting money from the vulnerable, killing rivals left and right - I played a money money money type who would, if the pay were equal, be kind...but who would sell her own mother for the extra credits...and I ended up at about 200 LS total; if I had been more willing to shed blood it would've been a different story. You can play a Smuggler very, very cold.

Straight up criminal Smuggler who cheats, lies, backstabs, and steals from everyone INCLUDING the Republic he's supposed to be helping would be the most believable, imo. The only reason he's there is because it's easier to bilk the Republic than the Empire.

I thought of another way to look at it that might help, in terms of what your questline makes you do:

The Jedi Knight serves the people. The Trooper serves the system. The Smuggler serves himself.

There are LS and DS variants, but the Knight can only progress the plot by protecting orphanages, the Trooper can only do it by achieving Republic objectives, and the Smuggler can only do it by...well, I guess grabbing the goods and staying alive are the only requirements. Make of that what you will.

I have only finished Smuggler and Consular, both primarily lightside, but . . .

Smuggler: I think this class would be great if you wanted to play a character that is dark, but not stark raving evil. You can be all out for yourself and do bad things because it benefits you or just because you think it will be fun ("What a perfect excuse to blow things up" is a line you will get).

Jedi Consular: In the first act especially, the big dark side options seemed pretty pointless to me -- more chaotic evil than anything else.

What is the point of killing the Masters that had been affected by the plague? The terrible things they did weren't their fault, and killing them doesn't even make things easier since you've already defeated them. The whole "shielding them weakens you" thing has no real effect on your character!

And this is a matter of opinion, but whenever I picked darker/less nice sounding conversation options, I cringed at how awful and/or silly the lines sounded. IMHO, the darker lines don't always seem to "fit" very well, though it could be just that the male voice does not work well for the darker lines. The female voice might work better.

Edited by Gwena

As Consular, you rack up a pretty decent body count of

Jedi Masters.

I rather enjoyed it. And unlike above poster who 'didn't see a point' well i was roleplaying. Which is kind of the idea. roflol

I think it's kind of weak how you can do some really immoral stuff as a Consular, but the Jedi Council is just like, 'oh well!' or something.

I mean, you can kill your MASTER for no particular reason. They should be locking you up on Belsavis, not trusting you with mending the Republic's diplomatic relations!

It's just that the JC can pretty easily reach batsh*t insane levels of evil, long past the point where you'd be kicked out of the order. I'd be fine with the evil level if it was believable, like all the horrible things you did it was possible from keeping the Council from finding out, you were disciplined at least, etc...

As for othe pub classes I've played, the Trooper can be a really good dark character. You don't necessary have to not care about the Republic. You can be a patriot who's willing to do just about anything for victory.

I mostly play LS characters, and I think I have the most DS points on my trooper. With DS trooper it's a combo of not showing mercy (I tend to kill evil guys, hence the DS points), taking bribes, and handing over weapons of mass destruction to the Republic military. You don't have too many options in terms of being anti-Republic, although there are a couple places where you can not follow orders. You kill a lot of traitors and people who might maybe be a threat to the Republic with DS choices. Basically a loose cannon hothead who's not adverse to making some money on the side.

I played my Consular dark in a way that seemed believable:

On Tython you get learn about one of the first Jedi who fell to the dark side, Master Rajivari. His teachings are based upon a set of principles, the player finds out about three of them:

2. Principle: All life is a battle, even to the last breath.

5. Principle: Showing mercy to an enemy creats a spiral of destruction.

8. Principle: Sacrificing your strength to help others creates a spiral of destruction.

My Consular thought something like: "makes sense" and tries to follow Rajivari's teaching and influence the Order in that direction.

For him it was a very hard decision to kill the masters, but he still prefered it to risking his life to save them. And every time the council asked, he said: "I'm sorry, but I had to do it."

Warning: If you play that way with enough immersion, you'll get pretty depressed during chapter 1. And you probably won't get more evil than Dark III or even Dark II.

I guess there are also other ways to play a believable dark consular.

So a dark-grey consular is possible and still realistic if you think about his backstory and thing about the decisions before taking them. Don't always take the dark option when it pops up. For example:

There is an NPC controlled by an evil Sith lord. You fight her and after the fight she asks you to kill her. Dark side option is:

"With pleasure." [Kill her.] - which makes no sense for the consular.

Take the neutral option and she explains something to you. Then asks again. Now you can say:

"Know that it gives me no pleasure to do this." [Kill her.] - which makes much more sense.

But if you want to go fully dark side, Trooper or smuggler suits you better, probably. The Jedi can make really interesting dark-grey characters though.

The Trooper is more ruthless. Victory, no matter the cost and collateral damage. Or killing bad guys without trial. Some rare choice are just plain evil (save the life of a woman, just to have sex with her on tatoine is an example). But most of the time you are just unethical and ruthless. It's not really about blowing stuff or not, more killing civilians because they may are a threat for the republic, let an hostage die so you can catch a traitor...

I think it's quite close to a Mass Effect renegade storyline.

The JK, I'm just on alderaan, so far being DS is more "I kill Siths. I hate them." while LS is more about redemption, and turn bad guys into good guys.

Smuggler can be a money driven bastard. Taking money from civilian, needy, wounded.... You can make your own criminal empire, smuggle drugs, side with Sith, etc...

JC : I've done the storyline as a LS, but according to everything I read, and the choice I did, it seems the DS is not rewarding at all. In the end, you can be the ultimate evil dark jedi, and the council is "we don't blame you, don't worry, it wasn't your fault". If you are plain evil, you may not become part of the council, but you will still be master, with a padawan, etc...