Assassin/Shadow Tank Stats logic/help

Hiya! I'm fairly new to the game and I'm trying to understand the logic behind what stats to go with as a tank but google isn't helping and a lot of threads on here seem to very quickly go into maths and acronyms and all sorts of stuff that just makes my head spin.

Can someone explain the optimal stat setup and why it is what it is? In like, assume I'm completely stupid and need a dumb dumb explanation, way.

eg: I've been advised to basically ignore absorb and stack up shield rating. But my feelings say to go a more balanced approach (some guides say this too but finding anything recent is difficult and none of them explain why to use those stat spreads, without going into algebra). I also don't have alacrity at all and I'm not entirely sure what need of it I have if holding aggro isn't a problem to need faster skills.. There's DPS I guess but my brain says more crit would be better.

Currently I'm at:

End: 16016

Defense: 7209

Absorb: 3194

Shield: 3536

Thanks!

Hi thanks I read this guide already but this person doesn't answer my questions as to why they set up this way only they say what things "should" be and what they "prefer" but not really why those are best.

Could someone who plays this spec and has tested different builds provide some feedback please? =)

I use guides as a starting point but I find more than one persons testing, opinion or experience generally ends up with better results than just following someones guide and accepting it as gospel...

There is no general agreement on the 'best' setups for tanks, you'll find raiders playing with a lot of different setups. A lot depends on the content you're running and what type of damage you end up taking.

I only dabble with tanking, but am used to checking tank stats because I heal a lot, and squishy tanks need a different strategy for heals. Just remember that you can't absorb anything if you don't shield it first. I've run with a few high absorb/low shield tanks, and that type of build is horribly squishy.

Your current build is good for a full mitigation tank, although a bit more in shield would help. I'd suggest 4000 points, or a bit more, in shield. Absorb is fine, anything over 2500 points seems to work out alright.

If you do any level 75 content (basically just Objective Meridian and Dxun right now), then you can drop some defense for power. The old 'use lethal B mods and high endurance enhancements advice is still good. For the legacy (level 70 synced content) you might as well keep the high defense, since power and endurance are capped.

I've run with some shadow/sin tanks using 5000 shield/2000 absorb builds, or ones who drop a 1000 points or so into crit. I'd say play around a bit. If you're running 4000 or so shield, and 2500 to 3000 or so absorb you'll be fine.

Medium mitigation tanks (3000 or so shield, 2000 or so absorb) will also work well for a lot of content, and sometimes more dps is better than full mitigation.

More crit will help with your damage, which can help keep aggro, so feel free to play around a bit. I think every dedicated tank has more than one build they'll run with depending on content. *keep some critical dps earpieces and implants on hand, it makes it easy to play around with your stats without messing up your main gear.

That's some great feedback, thank you! I've been playing healer a bit but haven't been checking these things on other tanks which I will do now to see the variations a bit better. I've been playing around a bit and it does feel much better for me to have more of a balance but a leaning on shield rating so far. Also it's quite interesting how this changes when playing other tanks classes.. Thank you =)

• 2 months later...
Hi thanks I read this guide already but this person doesn't answer my questions as to why they set up this way only they say what things "should" be and what they "prefer" but not really why those are best.

Could someone who plays this spec and has tested different builds provide some feedback please? =)

I use guides as a starting point but I find more than one persons testing, opinion or experience generally ends up with better results than just following someones guide and accepting it as gospel...

I like your attitude. You can tell people how to do something, but in order to make the most of it they don't just need to understand how do to something, but also why things work the way that they do.

It's something I've tried to incorporate in past guides but honestly to tell the whole story you need a book as big as the bible. Unfortunately most of my knowledge lies with the DPS specs and not so much the tanking ones so I can't really help you in the depth you're looking for :/

• 2 weeks later...

eg: I've been advised to basically ignore absorb and stack up shield rating. But my feelings say to go a more balanced approach (some guides say this too but finding anything recent is difficult and none of them explain why to use those stat spreads, without going into algebra). I also don't have alacrity at all and I'm not entirely sure what need of it I have if holding aggro isn't a problem to need faster skills.. There's DPS I guess but my brain says more crit would be better.

Currently I'm at:

End: 16016

Defense: 7209

Absorb: 3194

Shield: 3536

Thanks!

There are basically four main different schools of thought on sin tanking stat allocation.

Shield focus, minor absorb (consistent but can be taxing on healers and no major reducs from shield absorbs)

Absorb focus, minor shield (when you shield, you shield BIG, but it doesn't happen often. Spiky but can work with skill.

Balanced Shield and Absorb (Middle ground, decent shield rate and decent absorb. healers tend to like this one)

Skank tank (toss in crit, more power focused mods, and generate ALL the threat! Leave rest to healers. Less def)

Personally, I prefer the balanced method because when we do that, we can have insane amounts of shield still due to the use of Dark Ward, and still have decent absorb.

There are a few key things you need to take note of when deciding on which style of sin tank you want to use. They are all from within out spec, but must be accounted for when considering the stats:

- Dark Ward (+18% shield chance, 15 stacks)

- Bulwark (+10% absorb, gain 1/10 per defended/shielded/avoided attack, reset on Dark Ward use)

- Recklessness (+30% absorb for 20s, 1m 30s cd)

Tacticals:

- Ward of Continuum (+3% defense chance, +5 stacks of Dark Ward, refresh on Dark Ward use)

- Tome of Wrath (+2% absorb per target hit by Wither for 5s (wither has a cd of 10s)

- Double Cloak (can be used to be very tactical in operation boss fights)

Important things to keep track of:

- Each of these can compound with each other, turning a squishy tank into an Iron Warden.

- Continuum is great for single target encounters

- Tome is VERY good for 2+ target encounters (on Ravagers, I have gotten up to 130% absorb on pulls, its amazing)

- Absorb from Bulwark and Recklessness stack, and if you have high enough absorb, can nullify enemy attacks

- Always, always, always consider dark ward's dual purpose. 18% shield chance on demand, but can leave it after the stacks are gone, to stay with 10% absorb. What you might need changes constantly so keep on your toes.

- Know what your shield % chance is when dark ward is off, so you know how much you can gain or lose

Personally, I heavily advise the 50/50 or so split, because it is very versatile and adaptable. When using Dark Ward for example, you can easily still maintain a 65% shield chance while retaining around 50% absorb. One thing to keep in mind in regards to absorb though, is that it has a faster gain early in the points than shield, but around 2.5k or so shield and absorb start to have the same gain rates. Going beyond that too heavily in either I believe can lead to reduced survivability but that can all be adjusted for in your own style.

Edited by Silenceo