Address server merges this stream, promised to after holiday break

trekbro

The stream before the holidays you guys said you would address server merges after you came back from holiday break. Prophecy, Bastion, and Jung ma are just as dead as they were before the expansion. Didn't say nothing about it in the stream a few weeks ago. It is time to address and merge the servers that need merged.

If they merge servers, they have to admit to EA and the world that the game population is continuing to shrink. They don't want to do that. Honestly, they really only need on NA and one EU server to handle the current loads. And since the population is still shrinking, that isn't promising.

It's kind of sad that they let it get to the point where the players themselves notice depopulation on every 'destination' server in the game and have to bring it up incessantly. Transfers aren't really cutting it because people are already where they want to be.

Actually, I think their earlier comment implied a March timeframe for an update on this. That said....

......they already did..... discounted transfers remain in effect.... essentially indefinitely, though Eric did "promise" to warn us at least an week in advance if they decide to again remove them.

In other words... players continue to merge themselves to the server they wish to play on, at 90cc per character.

Inb4 someone rants about needing a legacy wide transfer. :p

Edited by Andryah

Actually, I think their earlier comment implied a March timeframe for an update on this. That said....

......they already did..... discounted transfers remain in effect.... essentially indefinitely, though Eric did "promise" to warn us at least an week in advance if they decide to again remove them.

In other words... players continue to merge themselves to the server they wish to play on, at 90cc per character.

Inb4 someone rants about needing a legacy wide transfer. :p

No, it did not imply a March timeframe. They said clearly in the December live stream that tons of people are coming back to the game and that they will look at merging servers after they came back from their break. The discounted transfers was already going on.

Discounted server transfers does not solve the problem. The average person that returns to a dead server doesn't know the transfers are cheap or how to even do it. Even if they do, it is a pretty crappy experience to return to a dead server which implies a dead game. Then have to go through the hassle of finding which server isn't dead and moving everything.

Every other MMO I've seen with servers in this state merges them. If you think you think keeping a crappy experience like this is good for the game then by all means please continue on with your white knighting.

No, it did not imply a March timeframe. They said clearly in the December live stream that tons of people are coming back to the game and that they will look at merging servers after they came back from their break. The discounted transfers was already going on.

Discounted server transfers does not solve the problem. The average person that returns to a dead server doesn't know the transfers are cheap or how to even do it. Even if they do, it is a pretty crappy experience to return to a dead server which implies a dead game. Then have to go through the hassle of finding which server isn't dead and moving everything.

Every other MMO I've seen with servers in this state merges them. If you think you think keeping a crappy experience like this is good for the game then by all means please continue on with your white knighting.

Their actual statement in a live stream in late 2016 was "no merges this year, we will look at it again next year". You are free to interpret next year as "January", but it does not make you right. When pressed on further specifics, they did indicate it would be well after 5.1.

I'm not white knighting anything.. merely putting their statement into perspective. And given they are leaving 90cc transfers on indefinitely (per Eric today), there is absolutely no reason to embrace your "dark knight" approach to pejoratives and name calling, much less fantasy. Given that any player can transfer at any time at the low low price of 90cc.... a "crappy experience" rests with those who refuse to move when they have free will to do so.

Now.. if you stated that they were ambiguous as to exactly when they would next discuss it.. I would agree with you.

Here is the crux of why no server merges by force on the part of the studio ---> they have no mechanics to transfer guilds intact. Until that is addressed, I don't see them merging servers, and you shouldn't either.

Edited by Andryah

This person is clueless and tries to down talk whoever their down talking. lol. They can transfer a guild, and have done it many times before. There were 50 plus servers when the game released, and its been dying and merging ever since that first few months. Only the GL needs to have everything with him, which is how its been. Cause its so hard to add people back to a guild on another server.

Quit typing.

Their actual statement in a live stream in late 2016 was "no merges this year, we will look at it again next year". You are free to interpret next year as "January", but it does not make you right. When pressed on further specifics, they did indicate it would be well after 5.1.

I'm not white knighting anything.. merely putting their statement into perspective. And given they are leaving 90cc transfers on indefinitely (per Eric today), there is absolutely no reason to embrace your "dark knight" approach to pejoratives and name calling, much less fantasy. Given that any player can transfer at any time at the low low price of 90cc.... a "crappy experience" rests with those who refuse to move when they have free will to do so.

Now.. if you stated that they were ambiguous as to exactly when they would next discuss it.. I would agree with you.

Here is the crux of why no server merges by force on the part of the studio ---> they have no mechanics to transfer guilds intact. Until that is addressed, I don't see them merging servers, and you shouldn't either.

Sorry, I interpret "lots of players are returning to the game and we will look at it after we return from holiday break" as January because that is exactly what they said. They didn't say "sometime next year" but you can make that up if you want to support your white knighting effort.

It is a crappy experience no matter how hard you try to white knight around it. It is an issue that needs addressed and fixed like every other studio does. Discounted transfers does not solve the problem and has a negative impact. I'm pretty sure the point of a server transfer is to move to a better place or to play with friends. However the majority are using it to exploit and wreck server economies as a credit making method.

This person is clueless and tries to down talk whoever their down talking. lol. They can transfer a guild, and have done it many times before. There were 50 plus servers when the game released, and its been dying and merging ever since that first few months. Only the GL needs to have everything with him, which is how its been. Cause its so hard to add people back to a guild on another server.

Quit typing.

Last time they did server merges, guilds were forced to disband and reform on the new server. And some guilds were able to move relatively well, and others had horrific problems. This has all been discussed multiple times over the last few months, so I really do not understand the fiction you are peddling here, because that's not a guild transfer process by any means that they did 4 years ago. And if they did that today, it would be much worse with the loss of guild ships and strongholds as well.

I'm an advocate for them actually putting in the needed process to transfer guilds by the way.. so take your uninformed personal attacks elsewhere please.

Edited by Andryah

Sorry, I interpret "lots of players are returning to the game and we will look at it after we return from holiday break" as January because that is exactly what they said. They didn't say "sometime next year" but you can make that up if you want to support your white knighting effort.

It is a crappy experience no matter how hard you try to white knight around it. It is an issue that needs addressed and fixed like every other studio does. Discounted transfers does not solve the problem and has a negative impact. I'm pretty sure the point of a server transfer is to move to a better place or to play with friends. However the majority are using it to exploit and wreck server economies as a credit making method.

Quote to me where they said January.

Their exact quote was "next year" in Bens live stream. When pressed, they did not say January, they said later ... which is definitely ambiguous, and for this studio typically means months later.. not days or weeks.

But to your attempt to argue and define reality your way....... it should be clear from the now indefinite low cost transfers... they will not be talking about mergers any time soon. So where does that leave you now?

Edited by Andryah

Quote to me where they said January.

Their exact quote was "next year" in Bens live stream. When pressed, they did not say January, they said later ... which is definitely ambiguous, and for this studio typically means months later.. not days or weeks.

But to your attempt to argue and define reality your way....... it should be clear from the now indefinite low cost transfers... they will not be talking about mergers any time soon. So where does that leave you now?

Sorry buddy, In reality "after holiday break" means January. Their break ends in January or are they still on break for months to come? If they are then I will admit you are right.

It doesn't even matter what ever was said. There is a legit issue with dead servers that need merged. It should be addressed. What are you trying to accomplish? You think it is better to have the dead servers? Explain the benefits and how it is better for the game to have dead servers.

Sorry buddy, In reality "after holiday break" means January. Their break ends in January or are they still on break for months to come? If they are then I will admit you are right.

It doesn't even matter what ever was said. There is a legit issue with dead servers that need merged. It should be addressed. What are you trying to accomplish? You think it is better to have the dead servers? Explain the benefits and how it is better for the game to have dead servers.

Again.. their actual words were "next year". That gives them pretty much a 12 month leeway if they choose.

Personally I am in favor of server merges of the dead PvP servers into the remaining healthy servers and have stated so many times, but FIRST.. they need a process to transfer guilds intact. So.. please, don't slather me as an anti-merge player because I am not. I certainly would not want to see guilds slaughtered again in the process, just because there is no current way to transfer guilds from one server to another.

Tell you what though... hold your breath until they do talk about merges again .. see how that works. :p

Edited by Andryah

• 4 weeks later...
The stream before the holidays you guys said you would address server merges after you came back from holiday break. Prophecy, Bastion, and Jung ma are just as dead as they were before the expansion. Didn't say nothing about it in the stream a few weeks ago. It is time to address and merge the servers that need merged.

Still waiting