Comms and 2.0

QBSlide

Recommending "everyone" to get rid of their commendations is ultimately a very, very arrogant statement.

Except that alot of people are in high end gear and the stuff we will get from comms conversion in 2.0 is below our lvl and essentially worthless. That's why he said it. I see nothing arrogant about his statement. It's not everyone else s fault you don't have the high end gear yet and prefer to play PVP all the time. Trying to enforce penalties on others based on how YOU play and earn things is arrogant sir.

Edited by DarthVengeant

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because there are people (like) who are inclined to unsub as soon as they get their alts geared. This way they made it impossible to gear up within a month, so subscribers will need to pay for two (or more) months to gear up instead of just one month.

Wrong. The majority of people don't do that.

People like myself gear up and raid with their guild every week, and lvl alts, and gear them. Some members of my guild have 8 geared 50 toons with maxed out Legacy and still play nearly daily. So, don't give me a line of minority hogwash.

Enforcing a cap on people to play a certain amount and how much they can ear in a GAME THEY PAY FOR is nanny state garbage.

It sounds to me like alot of people are jealous of people who can play all the time and gear up faster than them. It's childish.

Edited by DarthVengeant

Why am I still subscriber when they give me an limit on how much Commendations I can farm?

I mean come on. Where are the benefits of beeing a subscriber? Is bioware scared that I could farm all the Commendations in less then 4 Month? Why you dont want that I play as much as I want?

I mean I pay much money

and then this. What comes next? 20 hours playtime for every player and then you need to wait until next week?

I agree with this guy.

Would like if some competent person would answer the question from post #31 about the reasoning of the caps.

Theres been a hard cap in place since release via daily/weekly and lockouts.

If you do the math, they are actually raising the cap.

But no, lets all fly off the handle and rage... :rolleyes:

It hasn't been needed up to now because there simply isn't enough content to warrant it.

This has nothing to do with makeb or 2.0, its to do with more FP's, ops and ways to get comms being added, a line had to be drawn because comms would be raining from the sky, and being able to gear up in a week will kill the game faster than anything else.

I have a mix of Columi, BH and Daily comms as well as a number of unassembled columi/rakata pieces. My understanding is that the unassembled pieces will not automatically be converted, and that I'll have to turn those into a vendor.

So let's say I have 200 BH comms. When 2.0 hits those BH comms will convert to 200 Classic Comms and I will have hit the weekly cap. I will now have to wait a week before I can turn-in any unassembled pieces, and then I will only be able to turn-in 200 comms worth of them. I was hoping to fill-in some gear gaps with Campaign stuff, but it appears I may be gated from doing that as completely as I'd like.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I have a mix of Columi, BH and Daily comms as well as a number of unassembled columi/rakata pieces. My understanding is that the unassembled pieces will not automatically be converted, and that I'll have to turn those into a vendor.

So let's say I have 200 BH comms. When 2.0 hits those BH comms will convert to 200 Classic Comms and I will have hit the weekly cap. I will now have to wait a week before I can turn-in any unassembled pieces, and then I will only be able to turn-in 200 comms worth of them. I was hoping to fill-in some gear gaps with Campaign stuff, but it appears I may be gated from doing that as completely as I'd like.

Am I understanding this correctly?

The conversion upon logging into 2.0 the first time does not count toward weekly earning caps. So you will start at 0 of x cap, even if you get 800 Classic comms from conversion. However, you will not be able to earn any more comms through questing or token turn ins until you drop below the 400 total cap.

Once you drop below the 400 total cap, any quest comm rewards or old token "trade ins" will begin counting towards the weekly cap. So yes.....in that regard you will be limited to the number of old shell token turn ins you can do per week.

I am fine with them forcing us to drop below the 400 cap mark before we can earn more comms by token trade-ins. However, I do agree with another poster that those should NOT count towards weekly earnings cap. I should be able to turn in tokens, spend comms, turn in more tokens, spend more comms, etc to get rid of all the old stuff right up front and then begin farming my weekly limit immediately after. That's the best option for BW in my opinion as well to get rid of all the "old" stuff from circulation as quickly as possible.

Wrong. The majority of people don't do that.

People like myself gear up and raid with their guild every week, and lvl alts, and gear them. Some members of my guild have 8 geared 50 toons with maxed out Legacy and still play nearly daily. So, don't give me a line of minority hogwash.

Enforcing a cap on people to play a certain amount and how much they can ear in a GAME THEY PAY FOR is nanny state garbage.

It sounds to me like alot of people are jealous of people who can play all the time and gear up faster than them. It's childish.

Every MMO game out there puts superficial limits on how quickly players can consume content. Almost 2 decades of MMO experience has proven that this is required to maintain the game. While I personally don't have any problem with players that want to play 24x7 and complete every NiM FP and be in BiS gear within the first 3 days; the problem is that many of those players then start showing up on the forums griping that the need MORE new content, and blaming BioWare for not developing it fast enough. If you consume content faster than BioWare creates it....that's you're fault and not theirs. If you are not one of those players, then good for you; but past practice in almost every other MMO has shown this to be true for a high number of the people who play huge amounts of time per week.

Also, people need to keep in mind that paying $15 a month does not allow you to use someone else's property however you want. To be honest, this is EA's game. They can honestly do whatever they want in and with the game, whether we like it or not. Granted, it's in their best interest to develop the game in such a way that is pleasing to the majority of players in order to keep bringing income from it; but in the end, it's their choice on which creative direction to take and what "road blocks" they choose to put in place to prolong the longevity of their game. Its our choice to determine if we are going to continue accepting that and paying them money or switch to another game.

Whether you consider that "nannying" you or EA protecting their investment....that's for you to decide. All of these limits are there to control how quickly players can consume content. They do not limit you from playing the game, as there are plenty of other things that you can still do once you reach those caps to progress.

Edited by Jilisipone

Every MMO game out there puts superficial limits on how quickly players can consume content. Almost 2 decades of MMO experience has proven that this is required to maintain the game. While I personally don't have any problem with players that want to play 24x7 and complete every NiM FP and be in BiS gear within the first 3 days; the problem is that many of those players then start showing up on the forums griping that the need MORE new content, and blaming BioWare for not developing it fast enough. If you consume content faster than BioWare creates it....that's you're fault and not theirs. If you are not one of those players, then good for you; but past practice in almost every other MMO has shown this to be true for a high number of the people who play huge amounts of time per week.

Also, people need to keep in mind that paying $15 a month does not allow you to use someone else's property however you want. To be honest, this is EA's game. They can honestly do whatever they want in and with the game, whether we like it or not. Granted, it's in their best interest to develop the game in such a way that is pleasing to the majority of players in order to keep bringing income from it; but in the end, it's their choice on which creative direction to take and what "road blocks" they choose to put in place to prolong the longevity of their game. Its our choice to determine if we are going to continue accepting that and paying them money or switch to another game.

Whether you consider that "nannying" you or EA protecting their investment....that's for you to decide. All of these limits are there to control how quickly players can consume content. They do not limit you from playing the game, as there are plenty of other things that you can still do once you reach those caps to progress.

Pretty sure paying fifteen dollars a month makes this "our game" and no longer just EA's property. Else why the hell are we paying anything at all?

Recommending "everyone" to get rid of their commendations is ultimately a very, very arrogant statement.

So consider the fact that someone starts a new toon after 2.0

Once they hit 50 they are not going to have any Classic Comms anyway. So are you saying they are screwed? No they can gear up the exact same way anyone does. Having a 51 or 61 isn't going to make things really that much harder when you are questing on a planet anyway.

I've never thought to myself on any planet that "I need to gear up!", its more so "I need to level up". I am just saying you get more value out of your comms now, but when 2.0 hits they are going to be trash gear. And its a fact. Even if you gear yourself out in full 61's people arent going to want you in their lvl 55 hm ops... so your going to have to get better gear anyway. 51 and 61 is going to be different levels of crap gear basically.

But hey its all good, waste your comms on 61 gear, I'll be booting your *** out of my lvl 55 ops hm's everytime.

Edited by chriscshunter

From the perspective of someone who plays at a hgh level, but only has maybe 10 hours / week to game, it does affect other players if people can 'earn everything' too fast. If there is no cap, people with limited time get outgeared too rapidly to meaningfully participate in high-end raiding or PvP (and frankly, I'm strongly hoping they put a weekly PvP comm cap in, too, perhaps with 'extra' WZ comms being converted into credits or only exchangeable for medpacks / adrenals not gear ....) at the beginning of an expansion.

If you want to play 100 hours / week, and 'cap out' your raiding comms in 10, then you get 90 hours to level or gear alts. Or craft. Or RP. Or explore planets and geather lore and holocrons. Or do many of the other things the game offers beside the gear treadmill. Or .. you know ... get out in the fresh air. Or go on a date. Or learn Chinese.... I hear that 'RL' game has no time cap ...

Uh this is why you are wrong. if I can cap out my raiding comms in 10 hours ima be bored as hell with this game. I do a bit of seasonal type work so I get a month off to play the game. I want to be able to play that game all day every day and not be required to go do some RP crap or craft or level alts or explore planets. So what if I get geared up faster then you? Really if you are like that I don't want to group with you even without the cap. I get one month to play this expansion before I get busy again with summer work. Let me play it. Yes I will still subscribe through summer but I probably won't get to spend any time on it at all. I will subscribe through summer if I can't cap out my weekly comms in less then 20 hours if it takes me less then that there is a very very high chance I won't stay subbed. If I can only play the game for 20 hours a week there is a very very high chance I'll go look for a game that can keep me occupied all week. IMO the cap should be high enough to buy a full set of gear thats how it is currently on live for BH comms. I am pretty sure 1k BH tokens is more then enough to buy a set why cap out our coms at not even enough to buy two pieces of gear.

Edited by Kyleslater

Theres been a hard cap in place since release via daily/weekly and lockouts.

If you do the math, they are actually raising the cap.

Not an accurate statement at all...

Neither hard nor soft caps exist today for Daily, Tionese, or Columni comms, and all can be farmed by running Flashpoints all day (boring and slow - but possible).

BH comms do have a soft limit, but no where near the new limit of 200 weekly (or ~100 or less in current terms based on the highly inflated costs for items post 2.0). It is possible to do every activity that awards BH comms today and buy a full set of gear in a week - post 2.0 you will be able to buy ~1.5 pieces in a week.

The same holds true for the Basic comms (pre operations gear) - with low limits that will have players capping while still having having days left each week, and only able to buy ~1.5 pieces of gear a week.

I understand the need to lower the caps on the equivalent elder game commendations, to throttle the speed at which people gear up and thereby blaze through the new content. But...

...a cap of 50 planetary comms? Why? Seems completely arbitrary. It's not as if planetary vendors have amazing gear -- most people I know use those comms to gear out companions or alts. Some of my 50's have over 500 (of what will be) planetary comms. Has any (reasonable) explanation been given as to why this # was chosen?

Not an accurate statement at all...

BH comms do have a soft limit, but no where near the new limit of 200 weekly (or ~100 or less in current terms based on the highly inflated costs for items post 2.0). It is possible to do every activity that awards BH comms today and buy a full set of gear in a week - post 2.0 you will be able to buy ~1.5 pieces in a week.

The same holds true for the Basic comms (pre operations gear) - with low limits that will have players capping while still having having days left each week, and only able to buy ~1.5 pieces of gear a week.

The cap is hard enough because nothing, repeat nothing you can do to earn any more black hole comms in a week, you meet a brick wall once you've done your dailies/weeklies. tio and columi are irrelevant, not sure why you bring them into this discussion.

Now if there were 50 operations you could do to earn those comms, but for the average player it would only be possible for you do 20 or so in a week if you played 8 hrs a day, that would be a soft cap.

The classic comms will be raining from the sky, what used to give you daily comms will now give you these.

The elite comms are pretty well what black hole comms used to be, and with the different price structures, will work out pretty close to a little better to what you have now.

The planetary comms while restrictive, do not inhibit normal gameplay now they they have removed the weekly cap, and overall a much better system being able to buy stuff for your level instead of 4-5 levels lower than you are, as it currently is.

I understand the need to lower the caps on the equivalent elder game commendations, to throttle the speed at which people gear up and thereby blaze through the new content. But...

...a cap of 50 planetary comms? Why? Seems completely arbitrary. It's not as if planetary vendors have amazing gear -- most people I know use those comms to gear out companions or alts. Some of my 50's have over 500 (of what will be) planetary comms. Has any (reasonable) explanation been given as to why this # was chosen?

The reason for the 50 planetary comm cap is because they want you spending those comms as you level and not saving them all up to spend at level 50/55. Whether or not that's right or wrong is debatable and ultimately a matter of personal opinion, but thats how EA has decided they want to foce/pursuade users to spend them and not horde them until the end.

Hi telosweb,

This is a great question! The Patch Notes will include the following weekly limits for each Commendation type, which will reset at the same time as the weekly Operations lock out reset schedule. Please note that these have been updated and are not the same numbers that were on the PTS:

• Planetary Commendations - Unlimited Weekly; 50 Maximum
  • Classic Commendations - 200 Weekly; 400 Maximum
  • Basic Commendations - 300 Weekly; 600 Maximum
  • Elite Commendations - 200 Weekly; 400 Maximum
  • Ultimate Commendations - 150 Weekly; 300 Maximum

Additionally, with Game Update 2.0 there will be a one-time "overflow" limit in place that will allow players to go above the maximum. Planetary Commendations will have an overflow limit of 100, and Classic Commendations will have an overflow limit of 800. Basic, Elite, and Ultimate Commendations do not have overflow limits. The overflow limits are not in addition to the maximums amounts above; they're the total number of Commendations of that type that players will be able to hold after Game Update 2.0. Anything converted above the overflow limit will be lost. Players who have used the overflow limit and have more than the maximum number of Commendations will not be able to gain new Commendations until they fall below the maximum amounts.

I was concerned for the game when the PTS had a limit of 50 planetary commendations per week, i was like 'oh my god, i can get over 50 on Coruscant alone, but you can have a maximum of 50, but can get as many as you want, which is better.

Pretty sure paying fifteen dollars a month makes this "our game" and no longer just EA's property. Else why the hell are we paying anything at all?

Actually no it doesn't. Your $15 a month is nothing more than a fee to be able to use EA's property in accordance with their Terms of Use Policy.

Just like spending $100 a night at a hotel doesn't make the towls, sheets, and pillows your property.

The reason for subscription costs and other fees (Cartel Market, etc) is to pay for the cost to run and maintain the infrastructure and to pay the staff required to manage existing and create new content.

It's no different than buying a book. You own the paper the book is written on....but the story itself is still the property of the writer/publisher and you can't use it and claim it as your own.

Bottom line is I want rewards for doing all the dailies every day of the week. if I'm capped out what do I get? the credits? Oh yay. I want that weekly cap to be around 400 per week. I'm fine with the weekly cap and total you can carry being at 400 because I think that's close to feasible but 200 is just a bit low. I mean really it's 61 gear so I want to get some companion gear in a hurry too. um nope you can gear yourself but not your companion. Seriously. I do play this game for a reward of sorts. They already doubled the cost of most of the gear why limit the comms we can get by so much.

The cap is hard enough because nothing, repeat nothing you can do to earn any more black hole comms in a week, you meet a brick wall once you've done your dailies/weeklies. tio and columi are irrelevant, not sure why you bring them into this discussion.

Now if there were 50 operations you could do to earn those comms, but for the average player it would only be possible for you do 20 or so in a week if you played 8 hrs a day, that would be a soft cap.

The classic comms will be raining from the sky, what used to give you daily comms will now give you these.

The elite comms are pretty well what black hole comms used to be, and with the different price structures, will work out pretty close to a little better to what you have now.

The planetary comms while restrictive, do not inhibit normal gameplay now they they have removed the weekly cap, and overall a much better system being able to buy stuff for your level instead of 4-5 levels lower than you are, as it currently is.

Math must not be your strong suit...

The main point of your original statement I took issue was the statement that we have had caps all along (which for some things like BH comms I agree with) AND that the new caps are actually higher than the old soft caps.

Let me explain why you are wrong:

Today: DG relics cost 300 Daily comms. Doing all missions that award Daily comms earn earn close to 600 comms in a week, easily 600 or more if additional (beyond daily) flashpoints are run to farm comms from boss drops. Gear available in one week today with Daily comms - two DG relics.

2.0: DG relics cost 150 Classic comms. While earning these will be just as easy as earning Daily comms by doing the exact same activities, they are capped at 200 per week. Instead of earning 600 comms, one would hit 200 and be unable to earn more. Gear available in one week post 2.0 with Classic comms - one DG relic with 50 comms left over, which is enough to buy absolutely nothing.

And this is before we look at the fact that today, a player could do the above to gear using Daily comms AND still do actitivies awarding BH comm activities to earn multiple pieces of BH / Campaign gear (depending on piece a player could earn 3-4 full pieces or multiple armorings and even more lesser items like implants, bracers and such) in addition to the two DG Relics.

Lastly, I mentioned the other commendations such as Tionese and Columni because they are additional sources for gear that can be earned each week, usable for some players filling in gaps, for alts, for companions. or just to vendor for credits.

So while I agree Classic comms (and most likely the new Basic 55 comms for starter 55 gear) will be readily obtainable, my point was that gearing will be highly throttled as compared to today and thus will take longer.

Today a player could do daily type activities for Daily comms and purchase 2 DG relics or multiple implants and earpieces or schematics in a week AND earn close to 200 BH comms and purchase 3, 4, 5 or more BH / Campaign items AND still earn Tionese and Columni comms along the way to buy more gear for their companions or to vendor.

In 2.0 a player will cap in a matter of days and be ONLY able to purchase one (or possibly two lessor) items in a week, and will not be able to earn additional comms for additional gear nor any gear for their companions or alts.

Some may think this is an improvement, some may not, but unless you can show me examples in how the new hard cap system increases the rate of gearing than under the current soft cap system, you are just posting nonsense supporting the idea with baseless statements about how it is better.

Edited by DawnAskham

I think the overflow limit of 100 on planetary comms is a bit too low. I'd like to see maybe 200; even at that almost all of my characters are going to lose a bunch.

Devs; Please consider raising that number a bit.

..OR, maybe consider converting excess planetary over the cap to classic at maybe 10:1?

Edited by Taramayne

I think the overflow limit of 100 on planetary comms is a bit too low. I'd like to see maybe 200; even at that almost all of my characters are going to lose a bunch.

Devs; Please consider raising that number a bit.

..OR, maybe consider converting excess planetary over the cap to classic at maybe 10:1?

All legacy comms being converted to new comms should convert without loss.

There are no reasons at all to cap comms during conversion (and very little reason to have caps at all post conversion) for these 'legacy' comms as all they buy are existing non-end game items.

The new Makeb planetary vendor sales Grade 25 (Rakata level - required level 50 in one PTS build, 52 or 53 in another) mods that will only be useful for players leveling through 1-55, not for players trying to gear at the new level cap.

Edited by DawnAskham

All legacy comms being converted to new comms should convert without loss.

There are no reasons at all to cap comms during conversion (and very little reason to have caps at all post conversion) for these 'legacy' comms as all they buy are existing non-end game items.

The new Makeb planetary vendor sales Grade 25 (Rakata level - required level 50 in one PTS build, 52 or 53 in another) mods that will only be useful for players leveling through 1-55, not for players trying to gear at the new level cap.

IMO classic comms (the new daily comm thing) should be from dailies only with a much higher cap. it's for gearing up companions and getting the first set of gear before we venture into the dangerous world of raiding. I'd rather see people get this gear sooner rather then later. Do you want to try a HM 55 with people still in tionese? I'd much rather see this come fast kinda like on live now where a fresh 50 gets enough gear to be viable in the lowest level operation (granted half the time they have to be told where to get the stuff). comm caps on ultimate comms, basic comm, and elite comms are not so bothersome because there is a slightly limited way to get those but classic comms... even if I only do like Section X and Black Hole that's still near 20 comms easily. if I do another planet it goes up to 30. That tells me that in one week of doing all the dailies every day I will be well over my limit of tokens and I will no longer be getting a reward for my quest. XP and cash don't count in this case when a daily is supposed to provide you with gear of sorts.

Any chance we could get rid of old pvp comms - Centurion and Champion ?

They already removed from game, we spent them away but they still sitting at "Currency" in update 2.0.

Please Devs :)

I still have loads of these. Is there a way to turn them into something useful (like WZ comms with n:1 ratio) in 2.0?

Edited by rubint

The reason for the 50 planetary comm cap is because they want you spending those comms as you level and not saving them all up to spend at level 50/55. Whether or not that's right or wrong is debatable and ultimately a matter of personal opinion, but thats how EA has decided they want to foce/pursuade users to spend them and not horde them until the end.

Gotcha. It doesn't make sense to me why they'd choose such a low cap, but I guess with the ability to earn unlimited Planetary Comms is a somewhat fair trade-off. You'd just have to spend-as-you-go to stay below the 50 cap.

As for the other comm caps, I'm OK with that. We've been rather spoiled for a while now, able to gear up alts and companions far too easily. With the weekly caps in place, it actually forces me to think and choose which gear I want and plan my gear progression carefully. As opposed to right now, where gearing up is like being a fat guy at a buffet restaurant. :csw_jabba:

I noticed a thing noone seemed to address yet:

Classic commendation gear will be current BlackHole one, where 5 out of 7 armorings is Endurance > Mainstat.

Without Campaign armorings, you will have to resort to buying player made 63 armorings, which won't have a set bonus. And because after 2.0 armorings will provide set bonus and not the shell, you can't fix it with putting the crafted armoring in a set bonus shell.

So it's either under par stats, but set bonus, or sane stats and no set bonus.

This is really dumb, IMHO.