Is it me of Lost island HM is overtuned??

Did this FP yesterday on my OP healer with a jugger tank with sniper and sorc dps, Gotta say its a hella fun, going in blind it was a wipe fest but we got it down eventually. Definatly a hard one but manageable as long as you follow the mechanics. Actually impressed with bioware on this one :)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did it fairly easily with a PT tank, Marauder DPS, Merc DPS and Sorc healer. Took 4 attempts to get the mechanics, killed on 5th. Interrupt the boss fire damage, don't stand in aoe fire, expanding electricity bubbles. I (merc dps) tanked and killed the adds myself in the middle platform. 2 melee dps would be rough and require more movement though.

Hearing about a boss that requires a lot of interrupting makes me, a commando, cringe - seeing that I have no ranged interrupts.

Seeing the developers take this path makes me concerned for the future.

It only requires interrupts for melee heavy groups. Ranged heavy groups trivialize the fight (you can do it with only interrupting incinerate, and thats on a 12 second cooldown so any tank can do it).

Now if you have a commando and a scrapper spec scoundrel as DPS, you are -screwed- (Well, its doable...but its gonna be a pain).

What worries me isn't that the boss in LI is overtuned (he is a bit considering he drops columi boots.....) its that the encounter has been designed so it punishes melee dps unfairly to the point where the strategy actually changes to accomodate them.

After the general outcry from melee about our survivability in HM and Nightmare OPs, I'm suprised that they are going in the direction of a massive quantity of interupts and melee area damage as a means of creating difficulty......

Of course, this all makes the fact that they removed my 4 sec bubble (phantom) all that much more awesome.

Here is a video of our fight, we had 1 Jugg tank, 1 Assassin DPS, 1 sorc healer and 1 pug marauder who picked up. Everyone other than the PuG was in full rakata.

Healing was pretty rough on this fight and there were a few instances where someone almost died. We kinda brute force our way through, wasn't pretty but we did it.

no offence but from the looks of it the healer made it harder than it should have been.

Hearing about a boss that requires a lot of interrupting makes me, a commando, cringe - seeing that I have no ranged interrupts.

Seeing the developers take this path makes me concerned for the future.

Any tank has an 8 sec cooldown on interrupt, any competent tank won't miss a vital interrupt.

Any tank has an 8 sec cooldown on interrupt, any competent tank won't miss a vital interrupt.

Shadows are on a 12 second timer. Its still sufficient to interrupt incinerate, but if you're running away from lightning, it can get dicey with such a small error margin.

Still easier than 1.1 IronFist from Esseles though, which was impossible for a shadow to interrupt solo.

It only requires interrupts for melee heavy groups. Ranged heavy groups trivialize the fight (you can do it with only interrupting incinerate, and thats on a 12 second cooldown so any tank can do it).

Now if you have a commando and a scrapper spec scoundrel as DPS, you are -screwed- (Well, its doable...but its gonna be a pain).

WoW proved it was a bad idea to not design all classes to fill a role equally. If it's beneficial for DPS (or healers for that matter) to interrupt, then all classes that are supposed to fill a DPS role need to be able to do the job.

As it stands, Sage DPS has a ranged interrupt. Apparently scrappers do too. Commandos do not. It is a design mistake and will cause problems in the future.

It's not the only questionable design issue though, at least Commandos got battle rez in 1.2. We still need the Rescue ability though to have parity.

Irrelevant.

If one ranged DPS class has a ranged interrupt, then all ranged DPS classes should have a ranged interrupt for parity. Otherwise, it will create issues in the future.

The same applies to tanks. Imagine if only one tank class had an interrupt - would you bring any other tank class to this fight?

I kept trying LR-5 Sentinel for somewhat 3 hours. We had quite a good group, but on HM it's impossible.

I got full Columi with 4 Rakata items.

The setting we had was:

SI Assassin (tank)

SI Assassin (DPS)

SI Sorcerror (DPS)

BH Mercenary (Healer, which was me)

I can easily keep them alive, that's not the problem. We even figured out the tactics ourselves, but at 26% we keep dying. For some reason he gets a buff which tells us that he "Lost control over the machines". So the Lighting Bolts on the floor are being placed as big ones without a warning. The Lava from the floor goes on all Platforms. So pretty much, we aren't save on any spot.

We kited him very well, and I can Cure the tank as soon as he got a Incinerate DOT.

-The way we were kiting was as following:

The ranged stand on the middle platform, while the tank brings the boss to one of the side platforms (where the adds come from). When we get a Lighting Charge on our spot, we move to them, but we stay behind the boss. After a second Lightning Charge he moves the boss to the top or bottom platform. Again we repeat the same thing, when there are 2 charges, we move to the next platform. And when the middle one is free, the ranged stand on that one.

But when on 30% or so, we cant stand anywhere.

I'd give a vote to Downtune him a bit. Makes the damage from the Lava less, or the Lightning Charges not so big. I don't know.

You hit the enrage. Do more damage next time. :p

I cleared this place out last night on HM. My first thought is "overtuned" but then I started to think about that. The DPS requirements and incoming damage on the tank is not out of whack relative to the other HM FPs. But these are fights are LITTERED with mechanics that you must obey or you wipe.

People are having trouble with Lost Island HM, not because it's overtuned, but fights with mechanics is something that, until 1.2, was entirely foreign to TOR. Once you get used to fights that aren't faceroll, learn the mechanics, it's really not that bad.

This droid fight reminds me of the Batman Inner Sanctum final boss on DCUO where you fight the Brainiac computer that spawns adds and aoe. The mechanics of the fight weren't difficult to figure out, but there was so much chaos going on that it felt like a crap shoot at times on beating the thing.

This boss (the L-whatever Sentinel) is definitely beatable, and I realize it's new content and tuned to be harder, but he drops Columi gear. It seems disconnected that we can farm EV HM and then come in here and get tossed around for some gear none of us need.

Relative to the rewards, I do think he's too difficult.

People are having trouble with Lost Island HM, not because it's overtuned, but fights with mechanics is something that, until 1.2, was entirely foreign to TOR. Once you get used to fights that aren't faceroll, learn the mechanics, it's really not that bad.

I'm hoping this really is the case, but judging by some of the spike damage I was seeing last night, I'm apprehensive to say this is the complete case. Some of these fights are really unforgiving, and again, that seems overtuned in lieu of the rewards.

Edited by Thourton

WoW proved it was a bad idea to not design all classes to fill a role equally. If it's beneficial for DPS (or healers for that matter) to interrupt, then all classes that are supposed to fill a DPS role need to be able to do the job.

As it stands, Sage DPS has a ranged interrupt. Apparently scrappers do too. Commandos do not. It is a design mistake and will cause problems in the future.

It's not the only questionable design issue though, at least Commandos got battle rez in 1.2. We still need the Rescue ability though to have parity.

You mean WoW (and SWTOR, and Rift, and...and...and...) proved that having all classes bundled in "role" categories is a bad idea, because then you have to balance them heavily against each other.

Classes should fill different roles altogether. Pure tank, Tank damage dealers, Pure healer, Pure support/buffer (that wouldnt work well with the 4 man mechanic though), Crowd Control and utility, ranged damage, melee damage, and all the hybrids.

Then you still have the issue of balancing so that all roles are useful, but it sure as hell better than making all damage dealers do the same amount of damage and the only difference being in what order you push the buttons...

The difficulty in the instance is fine, one just needs to apply the proper strategies and execute them. The first fight is not your typical TOR tank-n-spank encounter, and, in that respect, it is refreshing. However, I can imagine that it would be extremely frustrating for a pug to down him on their first foray into the instance.

Why should a group be forced to take certain classes?

We tried to do this with two melee and a Jug tank and couldn't get any better than 50% on the first boss. The fight has way too much going on for a melee group to be able to complete it on HM. We wiped for hours and ended up going into the red for durability twice before just giving up.

(Everyone was in almost full Rakata)

read my post in the other thread, all melee can be done very easy

i didnt see anything casting, but I could not notice it in the heat of battle

And that is exactly why bosses like this should be present in game. It's big "Hey dude wake up, step off your railway and rethink the way you play for the better"

1) There is a boss that drops Columi ( we got headpiece) before LR-5 sentinel Droid so I don't think the droid is the first boss.

2) Maybe we were bugged but the bubbles didn't grow, they started out huge. After 30 seconds of slowly kiting him the room is full of bubbles.

3) Melee standing behind him is great, except, if you move the mob far enough to allow people behind him and out of the previous bubble, the room fills up with bubbles.

4) How do you get a ranged mob to follow the tank? I tried kiting him but most of the time he just stays at range.

Okay for those of you that have beat the boss:

When he gets below 25-20% hp do all the lava grates become active for you with 1second in between each reapplication and do the static balls come out faster and full blown?

Okay for those of you that have beat the boss:

When he gets below 25-20% hp do all the lava grates become active for you with 1second in between each reapplication and do the static balls come out faster and full blown?

theres this stuff called solid floor, i hear all toons have Cds that increase dps/healing.

take him back to the middle and just nail him or drag him to an edge. if you have sage healer stack up and aoe heal it basicly negates the fire, if your dps is bad just kite away from balls just like rest of fight, it will die

pro tip for last boss dont stand in front of it is genade move hurts. more than any op boss on NM apart from probs fabrictor fire :p

You hit the enrage. Do more damage next time. :p

It's funny becouse I thought like "Could this be the enrage or something?" But it always happend when he was at 30%. Guess I should take different DPS with me then. Becouse, as healer there isn't much I can do ;)

It's funny becouse I thought like "Could this be the enrage or something?" But it always happend when he was at 30%. Guess I should take different DPS with me then. Becouse, as healer there isn't much I can do ;)

It can be (at times) difficult to problem solve with the same DPS. Sometimes you think a mechanic happens at X% but it could simply be that DPS does not change, giving you the erroneous idea that it's either i) bugged or ii) that it's a mechanic that always occur at X health levels.

From reading on the forums, some people report this "mechanic" occurring anywhere from 20 - 25%. I saw it in one run at about 18-19%. These varied numbers lead me to believe that it's an enrage.

IFF the reports all agreed on X% when it occurred, you can reason that it was a mechanic that always occurs. But because this is not the case, I'd lodge my bets on it being a soft enrage.

Edited by Mavery

I kept trying LR-5 Sentinel for somewhat 3 hours. We had quite a good group, but on HM it's impossible.

I got full Columi with 4 Rakata items.

The setting we had was:

SI Assassin (tank)

SI Assassin (DPS)

SI Sorcerror (DPS)

BH Mercenary (Healer, which was me)

I can easily keep them alive, that's not the problem. We even figured out the tactics ourselves, but at 26% we keep dying. For some reason he gets a buff which tells us that he "Lost control over the machines". So the Lighting Bolts on the floor are being placed as big ones without a warning. The Lava from the floor goes on all Platforms. So pretty much, we aren't save on any spot.

We kited him very well, and I can Cure the tank as soon as he got a Incinerate DOT.

-The way we were kiting was as following:

The ranged stand on the middle platform, while the tank brings the boss to one of the side platforms (where the adds come from). When we get a Lighting Charge on our spot, we move to them, but we stay behind the boss. After a second Lightning Charge he moves the boss to the top or bottom platform. Again we repeat the same thing, when there are 2 charges, we move to the next platform. And when the middle one is free, the ranged stand on that one.

But when on 30% or so, we cant stand anywhere.

I'd give a vote to Downtune him a bit. Makes the damage from the Lava less, or the Lightning Charges not so big. I don't know.

The FP is not over tuned, difficult yes but not over tuned. One of the first things me and my friends did in 1.2 was run the FP on hardmode.

Guardian tank

Sentinel DPS

Gunslinger DPS

Scoundrel Healer (Me)

We died many times getting the mechanics down but it is certainly doable. I'm glad HARDmodes are finally hard.

It can be (at times) difficult to problem solve with the same DPS. Sometimes you think a mechanic happens at X% but it could simply be that DPS does not change, giving you the erroneous idea that it's either i) bugged or ii) that it's a mechanic that always occur at X health levels.

From reading on the forums, some people report this "mechanic" occurring anywhere from 20 - 25%. I saw it in one run at about 18-19%. These varied numbers lead me to believe that it's an enrage.

IFF the reports all agreed on X% when it occurred, you can reason that it was a mechanic that always occurs. But because this is not the case, I'd lodge my bets on it being a soft enrage.

You are not suppose to beat the enrage timer, it is as fast as it is on purpose, just save your cool-downs for then and no fight is too hard.

Many classes have abilities that are

A: usable at only a low %,

B: increase damage to enemies under a %,

or C: have other abilities that you can use at any time to increase output