Same gender relationships clarifications?

elexier

**pops back in**

Oh and you're welcome for the link. If you are curious about the state of SGRs to this point, check out my signature.

I've looked at it. I tend to be a lot more lurky than posty myself, but I do keep track of how this thread is going, at least.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd throw my support in, but I don't really have much to say. A couple sentences seems like a waste.

Numbers always count! We need as many people as possible speaking up.

Here's what I wrote:

I want to add my voice to that of those dismayed by Electronic Arts/Bioware’s behaviour regarding same-gender romances (SGRs) in their MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR).

I won’t repeat here the full details, since I’ve been informed that these have already been provided to you. Instead, I urge you to apply whatever pressure you can on EA/Bioware to end their discrimination against non-heterosexual players of SWTOR. In particular, I’d ask you to exhort them to live up to the reputation they claim (and are getting a free ride on, as of SWTOR) for being LGBTQ-positive.

Thank you for any help that you can give,

REAL NAME

Toronto, Canada

Edited by markcymru
clarification

Same here. Though I think I may have rambled a bit much.

I was trying to explain it like I spell out game terms and other game stuff to non gamers. Not sure how good I am at it though. Mostly they just get this glazed look in their eyes.

Hard not to go on about something you're passionate about I guess. :o

I sent a FB message to GLAAD to show my support:

I heard there's support to be garnered for BioWare's game, The old Republic and their refusal to supply any information regarding the same gender storylines that were supposed to be implemented by now. I want to throw in my voice, saying it's important to me and many others and I have no faith that BioWare themselves will contend with our pleas, so I'm asking you, no, begging you, please help us "persuade" them to tell us the truth! Sincerely your's, angry gay guy.

Yay us!

Numbers always count! We need as many people as possible speaking up.

Here's what I wrote:

I want to add my voice to that of those dismayed by Electronic Arts/Bioware’s behaviour regarding same-gender romances (SGRs) in their MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR).

I won’t repeat here the full details, since I’ve been informed that these have already been provided to you. Instead, I urge you to apply whatever pressure you can on EA/Bioware to end their discrimination against non-heterosexual players of SWTOR. In particular, I’d ask you to exhort them to live up to the reputation they claim (and are getting a free ride on, as of SWTOR) for being LGBTQ-positive.

Thank you for any help that you can give,

REAL NAME

Toronto, Canada

That was quite good actually. Anyone that wants to support but doesn't know what to say just copy/paste that and change the footer there. :p

**pops in, couldn't help it**

I've got a longer letter that can be used as a template as well. We need to make sure our messages aren't 100% identical, otherwise they might think it's just one or two people showing their support. So make sure to make some of that post your own.

Just one or two people, right trolls?

No one cares, right detractors?

And I've happily noticed that is far from the case. :D

**goes back to listening to Orbital (techno)**

Edited by natashina

I've got a longer letter that can be used as a template as well. We need to make sure our messages aren't 100% identical, otherwise they might think it's just one or two people showing their support. So make sure to make some of that post your own.

Just one or two people?

Unlike BW I do think GLAAD would still at least look into it, but you are correct. ;)

Just had the funniest image going through my head, since no one from BW actually reads the thread they are going to be taken completely off guard if someone from GLAAD ends up calling them asking for a statement. I can just imagine them being completely shocked by it despite the fact we have been talking about it for days now. :D

EA Marketing Guy "There are upset about what? :eek: "

*calls TOR Game Director "Did you know about this?"

":eek: No I had no idea, let me call the forum mods."

*calls forum mods

"They are upset about what? :eek:"

Unlike BW I do think GLAAD would still at least look into it, but you are correct. ;)

Just had the funniest image going through my head, since no one from BW actually reads the thread they are going to be taken completely off guard if someone from GLAAD ends up calling them asking for a statement. I can just imagine them being completely shocked by it despite the fact we have been talking about it for days now. :D

EA Marketing Guy "There are upset about what? :eek: "

*calls TOR Game Director "Did you know about this?"

":eek: No I had no idea, let me call the forum mods."

*calls forum mods

"They are upset about what? :eek:"

"You're calling about what? Hold on, let me check... phone call for Esgee Ahray, guys. Anyone know if we've an Esgee Ahray working here? Someone who's glad about something wants to ask a question about them... maybe it's about their resume."

Edited by Palar

"You're calling about what? Hold on, let me check... phone call for Esgee Ahray, guys. Anyone know if we've an Esgee Ahray working here? Someone who's glad about something wants to ask a question about them... maybe it's about their resume."

ROFL! :jawa_tongue: Now that was funny.

Just wanted to pop in and offer my support. I post very, very infrequently due to a myriad of personal reasons too varied to describe here. However, I've been a long-time lurker on these forums ever since early access. SGR is the one feature that this game lacks in providing me, personally, with a rich and satisfying entertainment experience. I love the game, the storyline, the writing, the gameplay, everything. Free to Play, although I first feared it would ruin my gameplay, actually turned out to add a whole lot to it, adding a variety of exciting new stuff I can do. Like collect cool looking blasters, and sell Crime Lord Packs on the GTN, and even buy some of those elusive Legacy perks that I was always too lazy to farm the credits for (seeing as how I was generally always busy alt-ing).

But when I see people describe how they log in, stare at their character list, and go, can't level that character because the SGR option is my first companion, can't level that character because she's on the planet in which she meets SGR option, etc. etc.... I feel that pain. That's been my experience from day one. Like, I want to play a Bounty Hunter real bad. I played a male one, and the gameplay of the class is basically the most fun thing ever, but... Mako's the first SGR companion for a femBH and... if I level even one level I might miss something. Sucks having to leave all the characters I really really want to play at level one, and being stuck with an Assassin/Shadow instead (because FemConsulars get their SGR option the latest out of all classes). Don't get me wrong, my Shadow is pretty fun too, but... Dammit I want to play my BH. :(

Well anyways, just know that you've had a silent voice of support here from day one. Admittedly, that doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot, and considering the herculean efforts some of you have gone to in the name of this cause... well, having a guy pop in and say "I read your thread once" can't be all that compelling, but... I'm in the same boat as many of you. I'm just... generally too lazy to log off of my video games or pause my TV shows to type something out to all of you.

I e-mailed GLAAD with markcymru's reply, copy-pasted and altered appropriately (blatantly unoriginal, yes, but that's where that laziness comes in).

I... am truly humbled and inspired by the level of efforts that many of you have put forth in the pursuit of this content. Not only because I want to be able to play a girl that kisses a girl in a video game, but... the implications for real-world equality here. I honestly feel like this is some... Martin Luther King Jr. type stuff we're dealing with here.

I am honored to have been in the presence of such inspiring, courageous people.

Most notably, although I love a lot of you, I have to give special mention to Uluain. That guy... is my hero. Not only is he unflinchingly vocal in his pursuit of equal rights, which is commendable by itself, and displays tremendous courage and depth of character... but the guy's mastery of the English language is second-to-none. That guy... can turn a phrase. Hats off to you, Uluain.

I wish each and every one of you the very best.

*Delurks*

I read this thread everyday and just wanted to pop on to say I've also e-mailed GLAAD supporting Natashina's original e-mail and with a little blurb of my own.

I also wanted to just say that there's probably a lot out there like me reading these posts that really appreciate you pro-active members who go to so much trouble to get our voices heard on this matter.

From a personal standpoint I don't do much I admit but you guys are a true inspiration and I thankyou with all my little lesbian heart for all your efforts:)

I like many hardly play because I just can't bear leveling these gorgeous characters Bioware created because I can't play them the way they promised us we could. Pleaaase give me Kira, Elara, Nadia....yeah and the others too!

Living in continued hope...

Bye for now you lovely people :rak_03:

Hahaha, that was really funny!

Well, I sent an e-mail to GLAAD a couple of days ago, still no answer, but i hope they've read it.

Long time lurker here. The message I wrote for GLAAD is rather more personal. I guess I'm trying to explain why a straight white woman in her 40s gives a hoot about SGRAs in a video game. I haven't sent it yet, but this is what I've written:

I'm writing to add my voice in support of putting pressure on EA and Bioware for updated information regarding the same gender romance content in Star Wars: The Old Republic that they've been promising for over a year now.

I've been an advocate for equality since long before my daughter figured out that she was gay. I have been a video game enthusiast and a fan of science fiction and fantasy for even longer. I was thrilled when my son introduced me to Bioware games and specifically the Dragon Age, Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic series. One of the things I admired about these titles was their treatment of LGBT characters. In these games, the player character has at least one same gender romance option. Romance wasn't the main point of the games, but relationship arcs were written into the stories. And gay characters were given similar access as straight ones.

Last year, I learned that Bioware had merged with Electronic Arts (another video game publisher known for their inclusive stance on gay rights) to create a Star Wars MMORPG (massively multiplayer online role playing game). Despite never having played an MMO, or even particularly wanting to, I was excited. Star Wars had been the first movie I ever saw as a child (I was 9; we didn't get out much), and had fueled my love of space operas for 35 years. I couldn't wait to see the stories Bioware would create and signed up for beta testing.

I fell in love with the game, bought a copy, and have been playing (and paying monthly to subscribe to their MMO format) since the game was released on December 20th of last year. But as I got further into the story, I realized something was missing. They had included romance options with companions (non-player characters written to accompany the hero on their adventures), but there were no same sex options. I was perplexed, and soon found my way to a forum thread buried deep in the Story and Lore section of the forums, where a community of people had formed to discuss this flaw.

I'm sure you've been told by others from the thread how promises were made, the people making the promises left the company, and the prospect of actually having an inclusive game seems farther and farther from reality. You've heard that the last official comment on same gender romance arcs (SGRAs) was back in March and we were told the content would be released later this year with other major story content by an employee that has since left Bioware. You've been told about how many times and in how many ways we've asked for updated information about SGRAs only to be ignored or brushed aside. You've heard about how our thread has been relegated to the back of the bus (who reads Story and Lore but a few weird roleplayers anyway?) and capped and redirected to a fresh thread each of the many times it's reached 100 pages with a boilerplate comment including a quote from the March announcement. Now they're not even bothering to do that; the thread is at 365 pages and counting. And we're all left scratching our heads, fuming, and completely at a loss for where to turn.

Thank you for your time and consideration,

My Real Name

Please feel free to comment/correct anything I've said, particularly about the timeline, as I haven't been involved in this dialogue beyond reading and following links posted here.

Edited to show that we're asking for information, not immediate action.

Edited by Teruvian
to show that we're asking for information, not immediate action.

Long time lurker here. The message I wrote for GLAAD is rather more personal. I guess I'm trying to explain why a straight white woman in her 40s gives a hoot about SGRAs in a video game. I haven't sent it yet, but this is what I've written:

<awesome post snipped for length>

That was a very well written and heartfelt post. I don't see a thing wrong with it all. :D

Timeline looks just fine. If you want anymore clarity, I have both the link to my FAQ and the SGR Timeline in my signature.

The FAQ is composed of every scrap of detail that the posters can find, including quotes, links and even (sigh) unconfirmed material, such as the deleted Tweet.

The timeline was done by another poster that has a really nice summation of events leading to late October, just prior to the LucasArts/Disney buyout. So any more details you can find there.

If you have any questions, please PM me. I'll get it almost anytime.

As an aside, first, I want to thank everyone for the sincere complements you've given the regular posters of this thread. It means a lot, more than even my wordy self can express. :o

Secondly, I'd also like to dedicate my efforts to Uluain. As Kioma said, he tried harder than anyone else can imagine to try this information from BioWare. He was extremely intelligent, articulate and passionate about both the game and this content. When he blew his top on General forums, I felt it was time that I stepped up and did something.

I decided we couldn't afford to lose another great player and supporter like Uluain and Musedmoose (another staunch supporter that left crushed due to the mishandling of the SGR info.)

So here we are now. If no one minds, I'll be starting a tally tonight of the individual letters and messages to GLAAD. I have a feeling that all of us can make a real difference here. We may not change the face of the gaming community overnight, but strides like this can have a ripple effect down the road.

Edit: We've gone to GLAAD as a community. They have helped this very community out in the past last year regarding this matter. So it is more than a few people that want this clarified. We don't necessarily want it in this very minute, we just want an official word.

Edited by natashina

Actually I want mediation. This relationship has gone bad and is close to reaching a breakup. One of the partners isn't communicating, and with the commitment that's been given and pledged that is causing tension. We're on unequal terms; and damages of the past have not been processed, apologies have not been made, promises have not been kept and no responsibility has been taken. At this point in time without a dialogue this is a relationship that will lead to a nasty breakup.

I want to hear an ETA. At this point in time as a consumer I want the appropriate information so I can make a balanced decision, and not get more deceit and silence. If SGRs are coming soon, I can come to a point where I might forgive and forget. If SGRs are on the long run, then I need to know this now, so I may put this game in the freezer and evaluate at a later time, to perhaps have come to forgiveness when that time is there. If I don't hear anything, and this content is not coming within the next quarter, I honestly have been cheated out of my pockets and trust. 12 months of silence, really is a point where there is no return. That should give some light as to what, at this point in time, this has come to. What's happened is bad enough, the silence made it worse, the lack of support and responsibility unforgivable.

Wave the rainbow banner, but only support it when it's convenient. Bad ally EAware, bad ally. You made me feel unsafe and excluded. Two of the things that have been made good show with when it could score points. But when it comes to practise, it's done at convenience.

Things Won't Get Better like this.

Edited by fabiyun

It's nice to see so many lurkers coming out of the woodwork! I'm sorry that we don't have good news for you though :(

Hopefully Natashina's facebook comment to GLAAD and their response means we'll be getting some outside support soon, and they're not exactly strangers to controversy or upset either, so unlike Bioware they won't fold at the first sign of trouble.

Also, Fabiyun: Bad ally, Bioware, bad ally! *newspaper thwap* Now you sleep outside!

I emailed GLAAD.

Sorry for not having said something sooner, but there were complications regarding my ability to post.

I didn't mean for my exit to be quite that dramatic, but a Livestream Q&A that not only failed to address any of our longstanding questions but actually subtracted from the information we have, by saying that not all Guild Summit statements hold true without specifying which, was the last straw.

My current subscription ends in a week or so. I do not have any plans to renew it. At this point, I doubt even the implementation of SGRs will bring me back as it was the abyssmal disregard for player concerns that ruined it for me. Good luck to all of you. I'll be putting on my pointy ears and brushing up on my Sindarin to go play another game altogether.

Edited by Uluain

I'm sorry to see you go Uluain, but I appreciate your reasons. Big hugs from me, you've been awesome these past twelve months.

Thanks for all the work you've done and for putting up with the crappy trolls and Bioware's general crappy attitude :)

A parting word of advice: abandon this thread. Let Natashina, or whoever has an FAQ link in their signature, finish it off. Then post elsewhere. Anywhere else. Start a thread on General Discussion (or hijack "Did I hear this right?") and post there from now on. Staying in your cage isn't helping you at all. Don't behave. Don't play nice. The only way we have ever heard anything, ever, is by being too much trouble to ignore. Remember that, and may the Force be with you.

I emailed GLAAD.

Sorry for not having said something sooner, but there were complications regarding my ability to post.

I didn't mean for my exit to be quite that dramatic, but a Livestream Q&A that not only failed to address any of our longstanding questions but actually subtracted from the information we have, by saying that not all Guild Summit statements hold true without specifying which, was the last straw.

My current subscription ends in a week or so. I do not have any plans to renew it. At this point, I doubt even the implementation of SGRs will bring me back as it was the abyssmal disregard for player concerns that ruined it for me. Good luck to all of you. I'll be putting on my pointy ears and brushing up on my Sindarin to go play another game altogether.

I'm close to hitting that point. My subscription ends mid January. I've hit the point that I feared I'd reach last year; a lack of inclusion and heteronormativity in my face are interfering with my ability to enjoy this game. And the way we've been treated here only makes it worse.

Last year when that video went up, after I had bought my pre-order, all excited, I got very angry, like many of us, on the old forums. That vague statement was released and I had a feeling in my gut that it wouldn't lead to anything. Since then I'd not bought the game, not used the early access I got in my mailbox. I lurked the forums. Didn't want to get fired up on this again. My curiosity got the better of me a month and a half ago. I installed the game, started posting again. Got more involved. And upset again, last year is coming in flashbacks, that was nasty. It tastes foul.

The Q&A. As previous "feedback" moments hadn't bore any fruit either I didn't think it'd lead to much, I still tried, and the bait got taken, but the question ignored. The Guild Summit statements current status, does make it even more confusing. All in all, if I add all up, I'm left with something that I cannot understand, and cannot just sit around and hope the best for.

I'm sorry to see you go Uluain, I understand your position. A dramatic exit though, is like a grand entrance, making it an unforgettable moment is the best way to leave.

*hugs*

Any new thread we make should contain a summary of all communication we've had from Bioware (ahahahahahahaha, sorry), a link - if not the entirety - to Natashina's FAQ, same again for Chaac's timeline, records of our attempts to query Bioware and a record of our recent action in contacting LGBT positive groups as well as gaming media groups.

Anything else we'll need, beside a flame retardant suit, anti-troll spray and for Bioware to stop being d*cks about this?

Can anyone tell me what was said in Hall Hood's deleted tweet? I'm writing my letter to GLAAD, and would like to quote it.

Also, I'm sad that you're leaving, Uluain :( But I'm almost getting to that point, myself.

(1/2)@StoleTarts Thanks, Megan. I know it's frustrating to wait for answers, but be assured we're not ignoring our SGR fans.

That's from Natashina's FAQ

It would also be good to note that Hall Hood has taken pains not to link his tweets to any SGRA tweets recently.

"@hallhood Hey, just saw on the boards that SGRAs are coming with Makeb. Yay! :D Why couldn't you tell us that though? :(

@hallhood "SGRs are coming with Makeb. When we have an ETA for Makeb, we'll be sure to let you guys know." - there it is :D "

I sent those to Hall Hood, and he later posted this

"I'd answer every question people ask me about #SWTOR if I could, but it's not always my right to do so. Hope people can understand that. "

the same day.

As to his tweet, I find his use of the words "not always my right" interesting. If the Lead Writer does not have the right to discuss story content, who does?