How stationary is the sniper?

Olliewilldie

From watching streams etc it looks to me like you spend 80-90% of the time sitting in cover, is that how it is for all sniper specs? I am kinda concerned as sitting still is not for me I don't think!

Engineer seems like it MIGHT move about some more but I haven't had the chance to test it myself.

PVP focus I should add.

Edited by Olliewilldie

The snipers best position is in cover. The reason for this is better defense and the ability to use your strongest shots. This changes slightly for lethality spec, where you don't have to be in cover to use your signature abilities.

Nevertheless, it is currently agreed on by most experienced Snipers that Marksman is the way to go for PvP and that staying in cover (or switching in and out of cover) is better than trying to kite. Reasons for this are:

1. You get Ballistic dampers in cover, which greatly reduce the damage you take

2. You are non-interruptable in cover, so you can spam your shots even with melee in your face

3. You can make yourself CC-immune in cover via entrench

4. You can't be force charged or pulled while in cover

This often leads to a situation where a sniper in cover has the edge over a melee even if that melee is right in his face. In addition to that, the sniper's stun Debilitate can only be used in melee range.

If you want a more mobile playstyle you are probably better off with the Sith Sorcerer or Mercenary.

From watching streams etc it looks to me like you spend 80-90% of the time sitting in cover, is that how it is for all sniper specs? I am kinda concerned as sitting still is not for me I don't think!

Engineer seems like it MIGHT move about some more but I haven't had the chance to test it myself.

PVP focus I should add.

Sniper is more of a turret class. You do high damage but you are stationary for most of the time, while doing damage.

The Bounty Hunter Mercenary is a good alternative for those who want to move around while shooting.

Well, probably 1/2 your abilities require cover (or at least being crouched) in order to use. You can break cover and move around in between, but you will probably want to be in cover as much as possible both for your abilities and for the defensive bonuses. If you pick up the Ballistic Dampeners talent from Marksmanship (and possibly Cover Screen as well, though I'd skip it), resetting cover every 6 seconds ends up being beneficial defensively, and if there are multiple cover points nearby, you can roll between them pretty quickly. There isn't really a sniper spec that lets you run and gun though.