Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sorcerer/Sage Topic

Lhancelot
01.10.2019 , 11:25 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Not sure how anyone can complain about sorcs and sages. They are by far the most versatile class. Anyway, sounds like a L2P issue.
Versatile doesn't equate to potent or effective. From the perspective of someone that played healers predominantly, DPS should hurt. ling sorcs do not hurt. Madness sorcs can hurt when played well.

I guess it is a L2P issue for every ling sorc I ever encountered because I never met one that dominated matches and struck fear into me like some of the better mara, mercs, snipers, operatives, juggs, and even the rare PT.

I guess nothing but unskilled need 2l players play ling sorcs?

There were some madness sorcs that actually hurt my healers, it took them time to ramp up their damage but some madness sorcs really can put decent single target pressure on an enemy.

Personally I'd rather have killing power over "versatility" any day as a DPS.
The Revival of SWTOR: Petition for More Funding and Resources
(Click link Below For More Information)

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=959696

Rion_Starkiller
01.10.2019 , 11:33 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Versatile doesn't equate to potent or effective. From the perspective of someone that played healers predominantly, DPS should hurt. ling sorcs do not hurt. Madness sorcs can hurt when played well.

I guess it is a L2P issue for every ling sorc I ever encountered because I never met one that dominated matches and struck fear into me like some of the better mara, mercs, snipers, operatives, juggs, and even the rare PT.

I guess nothing but unskilled need 2l players play ling sorcs?

There were some madness sorcs that actually hurt my healers, it took them time to ramp up their damage but some madness sorcs really can put decent single target pressure on an enemy.

Personally I'd rather have killing power over "versatility" any day as a DPS.
Well okay, regarding lightning/tk, you are right. Lightning sorcs are largely useless in PvP, and TBH, may as well play a Madness Sorc in operations too. I don't think I've ever thought "wow that L sorc wrecked me."

I think you pointed out in another post, the larger issue is that the meta is stale af. So true.
-Beruhl
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Lies have been corrected.

Lhancelot
01.10.2019 , 11:43 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Rion_Starkiller View Post
Well okay regarding lightning/tk, you are right. Lightning sorcs are largely useless in PvP, and TBH, may as well play a Madness Sorc in operations too. I don't think I've ever thought "wow that L sorc wrecked me."

I think you pointed out in another post, the larger issue is that the meta is stale af. So true.
rofl right. I have had many mara wreck me, PTs, snipers, you take notice of a class when you end up running for your life from them. I never once had this happen with a ling sorc, haha. That's why I judge them this way.

I don't know about in ranked, maybe in the right setup they can wreak havoc with their AoE but I view that as fluff damage, I never seen it cause much notice in regs when I was healing people so I just feel like ling sorcs suck as a DPS when it comes to pure killing power.

And yes, the meta is old. I would even consider coming back to the game if they did some adjusting on the classes to change up the meta in PVP. It would be interesting then.

I don't need new new maps, new gears, just a change of scenery with the paradigm of power. Some change in class abilities, some altering of the power landscape.

I'd even ignore the fact they brought in this utterly dumb gear grind, just to test different classes in PVP. What I can't do is a new awful gear grind doing the same old ****.

Sarova
01.10.2019 , 11:52 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by orig_mrrabbit View Post
This is odd.

I was in a TOS HM just last week with a Sorc DPS. He was in 248/252 gear and auged 240, who was doing 10k to 12k dps on bosses.

Not 10k-12k on the test dummy - 10k-12k on BOSSES. Malaphar, Underlurker, Revanite Commanders.

And of course, I congratulated him as being at the top of what is a difficult class to play.

Keep in mind, Sorcs are a ranged class, and as Bioware made clear a year ago, as a base, they want ranged classes to not perform as high as melee classes.

So perhaps you need to verify your GCD against a test dummy, review your rotation...and take a hint from this particular Sorc DPS:

"Please do not bubble me!"

=8-)
My main is a lightning sorcerer and I've played her through the years of utter awesomeness and the latter years of nerfed fail. I don't bother doing Ops (because nope) but I have joined the world boss groups out of necessity for the new grind. I've noticed that lightning spec is pretty good in a world boss group which was very surprising (so long as some idiot doesn't shield me - e*f off). I am also able to do the heroic H4 on Ossus with my lightning sorcerer & companion avoiding having to group for it (both with my old 248 gear and the slightly better 251 gear).
Where lightning fails is in PvP (God Help Us) - it's been a disaster since the first round of nerfs a few years back and I know that I'm going in there marked for easy death against the stabby-shooties every time. I don't even bother trying ranked (even though I'd like to) as it will be hell. Solo stuff as lightning can be tedious - I always have my companion on damage for weeklies and H2s. My Madness sorcerers are noticeably better at everything I do in the game even with crappier gear than my main. Lightning reminds me of my shadow priest from WoW past - in PvP I never bothered with shadow - I always switched to my heal spec (healing priests in WoW were like healing sorcerers in SWTOR - they were almost unstoppable). It would be great if we could do the same in SWTOR - having the option of dual spec would be ideal for me. At the moment I can't be arsed respeccing; I just suffer the lightning spec consequences in PvP.
Iokath Needs Customised Quinns - Make it Happen || Quinn Treats™
Allow us to Buy Multiples of the same Stronghold
My Rishi
Magical Clicky Link

aerockyul
01.10.2019 , 01:48 PM | #25
I've seen this brought up a couple of times in this thread and elsewhere--can anyone point me to the tooltip or guide or reason for not bubbling certain classes? I've been told recently I don't bubble enough, and very occasionally I'll see people lose their **** about being bubbled. I worked on spam-bubbling in a raid the other night with starparse and my protection numbers were huge and I was actually getting better HPS and eHPS overall (may have been unrelated, sure)
Keeya, Lill'ya, Ainyalah, Vaisis, Selauna, Wrathiva, Maulyah Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx, Ecksi
Jaista, Katie Bee, Altheeka Eko'va, Misphire, Dani Clarke
Portrait Gallery ReferralsProud Ashara...ite? Asharan? Team Ashara!
There's a difference between constructive criticism and hostility because you didn't get your way

PorsaLindahl
01.10.2019 , 03:27 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by aerockyul View Post
I've seen this brought up a couple of times in this thread and elsewhere--can anyone point me to the tooltip or guide or reason for not bubbling certain classes? I've been told recently I don't bubble enough, and very occasionally I'll see people lose their **** about being bubbled. I worked on spam-bubbling in a raid the other night with starparse and my protection numbers were huge and I was actually getting better HPS and eHPS overall (may have been unrelated, sure)
3 reasons some sorcs don't want someone else's bubble:
  1. Lightning Barrier: Your Static Barrier crackles with electricity, shocking attackers for X damage when it absorbs direct damage to you. This effect cannot occur more than once each second.
  2. Backlash: Static Barriers you place on yourself erupt in a flash of light when they end, blinding up to 8 nearby enemies for 3 seconds. This effect breaks from direct damage.
  3. Corrupted Barrier: Your Static Barrier, Force Barrier, and Enduring Bastion heal you for 1% of your total health every second for as long as they last. This healing scales up to 4% with the charges of Enduring Bastion.

Lhancelot
01.10.2019 , 04:09 PM | #27
Just don't bubble another sorc, unless you want to annoy them or get bigger heal numbers in a WZ.

aerockyul
01.10.2019 , 04:24 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by PorsaLindahl View Post
3 reasons some sorcs don't want someone else's bubble:
  1. Lightning Barrier: Your Static Barrier crackles with electricity, shocking attackers for X damage when it absorbs direct damage to you. This effect cannot occur more than once each second.
  2. Backlash: Static Barriers you place on yourself erupt in a flash of light when they end, blinding up to 8 nearby enemies for 3 seconds. This effect breaks from direct damage.
  3. Corrupted Barrier: Your Static Barrier, Force Barrier, and Enduring Bastion heal you for 1% of your total health every second for as long as they last. This healing scales up to 4% with the charges of Enduring Bastion.
I thought the tooltips expressly said that this effect would only happen for you and not others that you bubble. Bubbling others should only absorb incoming damage to them, right?
Keeya, Lill'ya, Ainyalah, Vaisis, Selauna, Wrathiva, Maulyah Kahntara, Kaytee'roxx, Ecksi
There's a difference between constructive criticism and hostility because you didn't get your way

aerockyul
01.10.2019 , 04:27 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Lhancelot View Post
Just don't bubble another sorc, unless you want to annoy them or get bigger heal numbers in a WZ.
What is annoying about it other than the visual? That they weren't paying attention enough to put it on themselves?
How is bigger heal numbers a bad thing?

(genuinely asking, I still don't get why people would get angry about absorbing a high amount of incoming damage)

Elessara
01.10.2019 , 04:29 PM | #30
I thought the tooltips expressly said that this effect would only happen for you and not others that you bubble. Bubbling others should only absorb incoming damage to them, right?
Yes, which is why other sorcs don't want you to bubble them. They want to bubble themselves to have these effects. Back when I did ops I would have to constantly ask other sorcs not to bubble me but was usually ignored. -_-

Not sure about classes other than sorcs that don't want bubbles though.

Edit to add: the sorcs likely have these abilities themselves but those abilities don't work if someone else bubbles them.