Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper/Gunslinger Set Bonus Discussion

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
Sniper/Gunslinger Set Bonus Discussion
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
07.13.2015 , 12:54 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey everyone,

We wanted to take a moment to reach out to the community to collect ideas on set bonuses. We are looking for opinions on current and previous set bonuses as well as concepts for future. This thread will cover Snipers/Gunslinger.

Note: Our intent is to have set bonuses not increase DPS by more than 5%. Please keep this in mind when posting your suggestions.

Current Level 60 Set Bonuses (for reference)
  • 2-Piece: Activating Explosive Probe, Ambush and Lethal Shot or Sabotage Charge, Aimed Shot and Dirty Blast increases damage dealt by 2% for 15 seconds. Cannot occur more than once every 30 of seconds.
  • 4-Piece: Reduces the cooldown of Target Acquired or Illegal Mods by 15 seconds, and activating either ability restores 15 energy.
  • 6-Piece: Laze Target or Smuggler's Luck now has 2 charges and its duration is doubled.
Cheers, all!
The SWTOR Combat Team
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Jamtas
07.13.2015 , 01:33 PM | #2
For Marksman/Sharpshooter the 6 set works fine. The issue I have is on running virulence/dirty fighting with it. The old 4 set bonus gave the energy reduction to takedown/quickdraw so I end up swapping to old armor set pieces when running that spec. It's not anything that really affects ability to do high end dps, but as the tier gap widens with 204 ratings and above it would cause more issues.
the more things change, the more they stay the same.

Peace out.

BaineOs
07.13.2015 , 01:36 PM | #3
About the current set bonuses, I think they are ok on the whole. The 4 piece one could do with a little work though. it's really kinda meh....

The 6 piece is the one that really matters and I can see that being the one that might cause you devs the most concern. Marksman is very strong right now regarding burst and if you decided the burst needed to be reduced then this would be the logical way of doing it. However if you did so I believe it would hurt engineering and virulence much more. Not that I'm asking for marksman nerfs I hasten to add, it just seems a logical change if it was something you were looking to do.

From an engineering perspective I wouldn't want the 6 piece bonus to change.

What I would like to see is discipline specific bonuses, that way it allows you to balance classes regarding the set bonus much more easily, you don't have to concern yourselves as to the effect on all three specs.
Es'carli D'Lakutos
Level 1 - 65, three disciplines, three characters, one video

AlrikFassbauer
07.13.2015 , 01:52 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by BaineOs View Post
What I would like to see is discipline specific bonuses, that way it allows you to balance classes regarding the set bonus much more easily, you don't have to concern yourselves as to the effect on all three specs.
While I'm still unsure, I have a tendency towards that as well.

To be *really* honest, it kind of baffled me when I saw that Gunslingers / Snipers get "one size fits all", and every other class don't, with the only exception being Marauder & Sentinel, another DD-only class. But maybe that#s just the way it is now. No other class is like Gunslinger / Sentinel : DD only.

About the boni I can't say ... My current set doesn't have any, since I didn't do much raiding since the Revan Expansion came out. I was too much immersed into the story.

I'm a freak in that respect that I didn't even do both new OPs yet , but that was partially because I wanted to have the gear for both before I'd participate - and then the xp bonus came in.

Technohic
07.13.2015 , 01:55 PM | #5
4 piece is lack luster IMO. Other 2 are fine. Wouldn't mind the 4 piece to give a defensive boost rather than an energy restore for the second part of it there.

mastersdr
07.13.2015 , 02:17 PM | #6
The 6 piece set bonus are fine for sharpshooter but it causes energy management issues for Dirty Fighting. I think to make it work with the current 6 set bonus is just to lower the energy cost on either Quickdraw or Dirty Blast. If you do that, it will make the rotation smoother. Also anyone feel free to tell me if this is a viable option or not, I'm not a theorycrafter.

Tarackian
07.13.2015 , 02:24 PM | #7
I think the 6 set bonus is very good for Dirty Fighting/Lethality but it's very weak for Marks/Engineer. The reason is the cooldown on their signature abilities is so much longer. Might be better if the bonus was tied to something else, like series of shots/penetrating.

Increased survivability for the 4-piece would be better, too.

Glower
07.13.2015 , 02:42 PM | #8
Please don't ruin it for MM, especially 6-Piece bonus. I just really LOVE all my three bonuses in Marksman spec.
SWTOR goes F2P; 2014 PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)
2014 cantina, A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
2016 livestream: "RNG is exciting"; Summer 2018 PvP changes - finally, Bioware delivers...

ThomasCool
07.13.2015 , 02:59 PM | #9
2pc - decent

4pc - something defensive would probably be better BUT dirty fighting NEEDs the energy

6pc - is there a way to make it give the old 4pc in DF... it really is much better. It offers about the same dps (more or less) with significantly higher flexibility in the rotation... In addition, the extra energy can also be translated into some extra burst.

Please find a way to fix DF energy consumption (and while you're at it change the perk in the DF tree to buff sharp bomb instead of thermal grenade to mirror the sniper version). DF and the scoundrel equivalent are the only 2 specs with real RNG dependent energy and the set bonus change just made it worse

~Lunagazer
Lunagazer (Gunslinger) - Iahgazer (Scoundrel DPS) - Phoebegazer (Vanguard DPS) - Lonagazer (Commando DPS/Heals) - and more
<The Olde Guard>

OMGITSJAD
07.13.2015 , 03:30 PM | #10
The two-piece isn't fancy but it serves its purpose. Same for the 4-piece. I would also definitely not like to see the extra stack+duration increase of Laze Target going anywhere. If anything I think just plain reducing the energy cost of Takedown baseline, outside of the set bonuses, is all that needs to really be considered to give some Virulence QoL, and a tiny bit of QoL for the other specs. That or make it so that Lethal Takedown makes your next Takedown cost 5 less. Or if having every Takedown cost 5 less is too much, give an extra proc(call it Efficient Lethal Takedown/Efficient Dirty Shot) that has a rate limit of 16 seconds or something. Whether this increases the spec's DPS too much in turn by decreasing how many times we have to use free fillers, I don't know(and some would say that not having to pay as much attention to your energy would make the spec too dumbed down). It would make the spec's rotation more fluid in my opinion, though.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tarackian View Post
Increased survivability for the 4-piece would be better, too.
This would be nice but it would have to be put in addition to the current 4-piece bonus. The energy return on TA is necessary for PvE. But once again, there are other places they can buff survivability or QoL in that aren't set bonuses.
Apex Gunslinger Jadrya
Jad Bond, Virulent Marksman
How to play Sniper in Solo Ranked ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)