Ok it’s my first time using a Sniper I played Operative last time, what spec to use?

DarthSealth

So Marksmanship is Burst I take it? I have so far been playing it but I noticed while the damage is good the energy management is kind of bad although that might be because I’m low level at the moment.

But I guess Virulence is a DoT spec?

Then what is Engineering because it looks like a DoT spec also I would have thought it would be like the Marauder a quasi burst?

• 2 weeks later...

Then what is Engineering because it looks like a DoT spec also I would have thought it would be like the Marauder a quasi burst?

Engineering does have some burst to it. I usually take the snap shot passive to get an instant-cast snipe when I go into cover, so I drop Explosive Probe on a target as I'm going into cover, then hit them with an instant-cast Snipe to detonate. That will frequently take out up to strong enemies right away. As you level up and get more passives and more crit, that opener only gets better. To me it's the best discipline for leveling up as it has a good mix of burst and aoe, which is pretty much exactly what solo content demands.

• 7 months later...
Engineering does have some burst to it. I usually take the snap shot passive to get an instant-cast snipe when I go into cover, so I drop Explosive Probe on a target as I'm going into cover, then hit them with an instant-cast Snipe to detonate. That will frequently take out up to strong enemies right away. As you level up and get more passives and more crit, that opener only gets better. To me it's the best discipline for leveling up as it has a good mix of burst and aoe, which is pretty much exactly what solo content demands.

Explosive Probe should be detonated by Series of Shots in rotation, or by basic attack off-rotation. What you just described is pure utility waste for engineering.

OP I'd say, try and level all 3, don't just respec. That is the best way to learn the spec and get the feel of them. Read up on descriptions of all abilities, passives included.