KOTOR: How good is it?

Sangrar

Wait, im sort of confused here (sorry, I may just be dumb :o)

When you load up the game, is there no text at all? Or is there text that keeps popping up with a warning or something?

No text at all, I see pictures, no text, graphics appear to be fine though

Hmm, never happened to me before. You could try changing the resolution settings and see if that helps at all. You could also try reinstalling the game like I mentioned before and see if that helps.

how do I change resolution settings?

how do I change resolution settings?

EDIT: Okay since you have no text I'll have to explain this:

When you start it up, the Option tab is the 4th box down. After clicking it, the Graphics box with be the 4th box down again. Next, you should come to a part with a slider. Under that is the "Resolution" box. After clicking it, it'll show you bring up a box with all the resolutions (may look blank without text). Try choosing one and see if it shows text.

Although I recommend trying to reinstall it before doing this, to see if you might've installed it wrong.

One of these tutorials might be of better use! Hope the problem gets fixed soon! :)

Edited by Essence_of_Light

Im just gonna explain what I did to get KoToR 1 + 2 working...

Steam

Sure its about $5 each, even if you already have the game (I have both on Xbox), however by using steam i got it working on windows 7 simply by putting it in windowed mode, and with KoToR 2 the Restored Content Mod (Best mod ever) Was easy to add in.

I actually played through both of them prior to picking up ToR again earlier this year.

yeah I got to do it once I get home today to my computer at about 3, in the meantime, here is the thing, I tried to get the launcher working, it said not working installiation missing, but I press KOTOR directly while disk 1 is in and it opens up. Also, I cannot download anything that requires me to put my credit card in, my mom ( I am still a teen) would not allow that at all. I just got to fix the text so I can read it, becuase even the starting menu when I first log in does not display the text, and possibly download a mod or something that includes any other fixes I need instead of having to look for them individually, of course I am probably going to reinstall as well, I don't know for sure what is going on with that thing, if anyone has any good links let me know.

yeah I got to do it once I get home today to my computer at about 3, in the meantime, here is the thing, I tried to get the launcher working, it said not working installiation missing, but I press KOTOR directly while disk 1 is in and it opens up. Also, I cannot download anything that requires me to put my credit card in, my mom ( I am still a teen) would not allow that at all. I just got to fix the text so I can read it, becuase even the starting menu when I first log in does not display the text, and possibly download a mod or something that includes any other fixes I need instead of having to look for them individually, of course I am probably going to reinstall as well, I don't know for sure what is going on with that thing, if anyone has any good links let me know.

The good news is... Steam doesn't need a credit card anymore!

If you want to buy steam games, you can find steam gift cards in other stores now (I saw some at EB Games in Australia, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were some at best buy, for example)

They are pretty cheap and relatively issue free if you buy through Steam. I get maybe 2 or 3 random crashes per playthrough on each this way.

After my most recent KOTOR 2 playthrough I see there is now a fully repaired patch for it replacing the content that got cut for time and fixing the glitches and story holes. Sounds like I'll be playing again soon.

BTW, I only got SWTOR because my most recent playthrough of KOTOR 2 in December left me wanting more.

I'm very anti-MMO (swore I would never play one again) but just couldn't resist anymore. When the SWTOR trailers hit TV I was pumped and then found out it was an MMO and moved on.

Edited by Kain_Turinbar

Ok reinstalled and tested it, have it working and am now on Ancient Taris, apparently all I had to do was re-install and run on compatibility mode, sorry I didn't listen to you earlier Essence :o . Also, if anyone has a mod to update the graphics to something a little more up to date let me know.

Ok reinstalled and tested it, have it working and am now on Ancient Taris, apparently all I had to do was re-install and run on compatibility mode, sorry I didn't listen to you earlier Essence :o . Also, if anyone has a mod to update the graphics to something a little more up to date let me know.

No problem dude. And to the graphics thing; I'm almost 100% sure there isn't because improving the graphics would have to be a huge conversion. By huge I mean huge; they'd be having to update all the character models, weapon models, npc models, every animation, the shaders (shadows), terrain, etc. That'd take a massive amount of time that sadly, no one person has. Plus after that they'd have to optimize it, so it'd run smoothly on other peoples' computers.

Have fun playing the game! :D

P.S. As for mods for the game, there are plenty of them to get. From mods that include new hilts, from ones that add a whole new overarching story! They can be found (link may contain spoilers so I recommend not modding the game until you've finished it the first time) here. Warning: Before you start modding the game, make sure you have a backup in case you install it wrong or it causes your game to crash!

• 2 weeks later...
<snipped>

updated 1/18

Need help, I am having serious problems. First it crashes about 1/4 of the times I try to use it, second, half the time I try to load into one of my saved games, it only loads the bar partially and gets stuck. I need help and a good KOTOR fix guide possibly, the ones I have found either A: contained viruses that my computer luckily blocked or B: were from illegal internet sites shut down by federal courts, or C: had a bunch of reviews of their "fixes" f***ing up their computer. Please I need help

Hmmm, Im sorry to hear that. You can try this thread on lucasforums. It contains several fixes for issues and worked for me. Sorry, im not going as in-depth for fixing it as I should be but I had a long day today so im really worn out.

Hope this helps! :D

We need to petition BW to remake KOTOR 1 and 2 in HD. Think of the monies flowing their way! Disney probably won't allow it however. They will only focus on games as related to the current set of movies coming out. Or at least, that is the vibe I'm getting.

I first played KOTOR when it first came out, and can say it's been my favorite game ever since.

I don't know whether it's been mentioned, but there's been an iOS rerelease that's pretty great. I downloaded it last summer on my iPad, and it's actually a solid HD-like adaption, with very manageable controls. If you have access to an iPad, I'd strongly recommend checking it out.