Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

StarWars.com Tweets out Onslaught release trailer. Folks, this is a soft relaunch!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
StarWars.com Tweets out Onslaught release trailer. Folks, this is a soft relaunch!

ZionHalcyon
10.18.2019 , 01:47 PM | #1
Oh, Lhancelot, you are going to see my optimism again.

So, for a long damn time, I have been talking about how I think there is more to Onslaught than we were led to believe.

We know the gearing, the PTS stuff, but the story stuff has been held under lock and key.

And I think I know why.

This is a product that is going to be a soft relaunch of the game.

Starwars.com Doesn't make a habit of tweeting about SWTOR. They are shooting for a larger audience with this one.

And in the tweet, it REALLY gives new light to the "branching story" that Boyd mentioned today.

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/...295072256?s=20
Quote:
Galactic Republic or Sith Empire. Light or Dark. Loyalist or Saboteur. Choose your loyalties and change the future of a galaxy shattered by war.

More gear. More variety. More power. Check out Onslaught, the 5th expansion of Star Wars: The Old Republic, launching on 10/22.
So, its looking like the story from here will have 6 branches, if I had to guess.

From the spate of hirings that happened when Keith took over (so much for "isn't being funded nonsense), to the cryptic "you'll be back" message keith gave a poster on Reddit who was leaving the game in 2017, to the focus on game engine improvements highlighted at the beginning of this year, to now these revelations, I got a strong feeling that, while the gearing still will not be optimal and need some work, the story is going to throw back to the chapters of old and deliver something really good.

Think about it. If they have multiple branching stories, then that is something that requires more developers to handle. That means more money coming in. I get that this might be over the heads of the non-story players but I don't care.

If this story delivers, then I got a feeling we will see a resurgence of SWTOR in a major way moving forward.

Because for all the systems and such, this game was billed and Story first, built on Story being one of the main pillars, and has suffered the most losses to subscribers when they either abandoned story (classes & companions) or messed with it way too much that it crapped on the stories that came before (KotFE & KotET) - no other sub losses compare to the people who left due to story.

That they finally figured it out and are recapturing that flavor back... let's see how they do.

But make no mistake. This is a soft relaunch. And they are playing it SMART for once.

Rather than overhype and underdeliver, which has been their M.O., they've gone the other way - advertised, but almost underhyped. Low expectations makes it easier to blow away the crowd and make a statement that "yeah - we're back."

Go on, all the jaded peeps - hate on me.

But if these things mean what I think they mean, and combined with the things I know that I CAN'T talk about (but that you can easily find on reddit if you wanted), I got a feeling that we might be in for a majorly pleasant surprise on Tuesday.

Yeah - I'm hyped.

DarthSpuds
10.18.2019 , 02:10 PM | #2
A 30 Second trailer from piecemeal in game footage, and stock voice overs from 4+ years ago.

And you see a soft relaunch?

Hope springs eternal... etc.

Meanwhile, back in reality...

They couldn't afford a real trailer, so we got this.
They couldn't afford real content, so we got a Koreaneaque gear-grind just to get back to where we were before Keith's two-year stint a Lead-Nerfer happened.

Yeah, I couldn't be less hyped if I tried.

All The Best
#Is-This-As-Good-As-It-Gets?

If you think my comment has been helpful in anyway please >>Click Here<< for the Refer A Friend Bonus.

ForfiniteStories
10.18.2019 , 03:03 PM | #3
All my negative energy was washed aside in one swift stroke.

WoW Classic was so five minutes ago.

Here's hoping for the best.

((That space battle though. <3))

ZionHalcyon
10.18.2019 , 03:03 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthSpuds View Post
A 30 Second trailer from piecemeal in game footage, and stock voice overs from 4+ years ago.

And you see a soft relaunch?

Hope springs eternal... etc.

Meanwhile, back in reality...

They couldn't afford a real trailer, so we got this.
They couldn't afford real content, so we got a Koreaneaque gear-grind just to get back to where we were before Keith's two-year stint a Lead-Nerfer happened.

Yeah, I couldn't be less hyped if I tried.

All The Best

Always the wet blanket.

All Kidding aside, I'm good at seeing the big picture that most people miss.

In 2004, after a 5-11 record and on the heels of not being relevant since 1989, I was telling people the Chicago Bears were going to play in a Superbowl within 3 years. They did so in 2006.

in 2014, when AMD's stock price was under $2, I saw the shrewd business moves they were making (and bought some stock at $1.89 a share) and told people AMD is going to bounce back big and really take it to intel in 4-5 years. Its 2019 and they are now outselling Intel in the Asian market and grabbing marketshare from them hand over fist. Current stock price is over $30

It takes nothing to always see the negative and bank on it. And I don't act optimistic without reason. Hell, I read the article from Lhancelot which filled in a lot of blanks and puts the culpability of the failure of this game so far squarely on BioWare(and not EA's)'s shoulders.

But when I see things from a larger picture, and see evidence of things changing, when I see confidence that I mentioned from a lead producer combined with a spate of hirings that most of the "this isn't funded" crowd overlooked, when I see more effort spent in marketing, in a secondary community manager hire in Daniel Steed, when I see the re-engagement with the SWTOR influencer community for the first real time since launch, when I see them openly sharing engine changes they are making back in March of this year, when I see that Starwars.com, which normally ignores SWTOR tweets about it on their social media, and on and on and on...

Sorry dude, that doesn't jibe with the whole "understaffed, underfunded game that is just going to piss everyone off again, and I will keep saying it so I can be right when it finally happens" vibe that some people put out.

There's too much "there" there - something is going on. Now, for those that dug in their heels deep in the "This is going to suck" camp, I would imagine, as per normal, they aren't going to admit it even if it doesn't suck because they've pre-emptively gone too far the other way.

I'll tell you what - if I am wrong, I have no issues admitting it. I have said all along this is Keith's first real impression in terms of content and a lot is riding on it. And I also was on PTS, and saw the gearing has some issues as well (although there are some good bones there).

But I got a sneaking suspicion, and have for a while, that this is going to be something pretty damn good. I am a story player first and foremost, so if the story is amazing but the gearing is as we saw on PTS and crafting still is a bear, don't expect we will see completely eye to eye.

But if this thing is a dog like KotFE, I'll be more than happy to say it.

I just got that feeling this is going to be better than that...

commanderwar
10.18.2019 , 03:07 PM | #5

All The Best
it's a teaser, they already said the full trailer is coming (also you expect them to not use in-game footage for a teaser/trailer?)
and stock voice overs from 4+
sorry,What are you talking about? The voice over/lines is new, and malgus was still "dead" 4 years ago, so how could voice over be from 4 years ago? or are you talking about the lightsaber sounds?
here's my refer a friend link
http://www.swtor.com/r/QWYrwx

phalczen
10.18.2019 , 03:14 PM | #6
It costs them nothing to construct a tweet, so its a good use of current marketing tools. Its nice to see it highlighted on StarWars.com ... that is overall a positive sign, even if you think the studio is desperate to get revenue.

A soft re-launch is a bit of a stretch. In form, its not much more than Shadow of Revan. You could have labeled KOTFE a soft re-launch: getting back to story roots, especially one planned out to be the KOTOR 3 in spirit if not in substance. So, what is necessary and sufficient to constitute a soft re-launch? And does final fantasy 14 or SWG New Game Enhancements constitute a "hard" re-launch, by those standards?
If you think I've made a good contribution with this post, I kindly ask that you use my Refer a Friend link! Here is more information about the program.

Tashia
10.18.2019 , 03:15 PM | #7
I'll get excited when I see the game, maybe (saw the tweet .. meh )
-- story person here too, so we shall see .....

Playing Everquest the original till I see ....
Everquest to Star Wars Old Republic .....
from Swords and Shields to Blasters and Rockets .......

dipstik
10.18.2019 , 03:21 PM | #8
i would love for the feeling that i got from chapters 1-3 to come back in some fashion... the closest we got was one mission on Rishi... makeb was two stories, oricon, rishi, yavin, kotet, kotfe were all one story with a few choices about who to befriend and who to kill (i liked kotet the first 4-5 times... then i only did enough chapters to level)

i never got to see my sorc on the dark council or my smuggler be the voidwolf... we all became the outlander after dealing with hutts, dread masters and revan.

ZionHalcyon
10.18.2019 , 03:23 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by phalczen View Post
It costs them nothing to construct a tweet, so its a good use of current marketing tools. Its nice to see it highlighted on StarWars.com ... that is overall a positive sign, even if you think the studio is desperate to get revenue.

A soft re-launch is a bit of a stretch. In form, its not much more than Shadow of Revan. You could have labeled KOTFE a soft re-launch: getting back to story roots, especially one planned out to be the KOTOR 3 in spirit if not in substance. So, what is necessary and sufficient to constitute a soft re-launch? And does final fantasy 14 or SWG New Game Enhancements constitute a "hard" re-launch, by those standards?
Make no mistake though - KotFE WAS a soft relaunch. One that failed miserably because BioWare decided to say "screw the players, we're going to make the game we wanted to make from the beginning instead of this MMO".

This is different. Ossus is a harbinger - they are taking great care to tie players back to their class stories, even in little bits, and also tie in the larger story.

And also from a story standpoint, this is a good launching point - a post-emperor SWTOR world.

ZionHalcyon
10.18.2019 , 03:25 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
i would love for the feeling that i got from chapters 1-3 to come back in some fashion... the closest we got was one mission on Rishi... makeb was two stories, oricon, rishi, yavin, kotet, kotfe were all one story with a few choices about who to befriend and who to kill (i liked kotet the first 4-5 times... then i only did enough chapters to level)

i never got to see my sorc on the dark council or my smuggler be the voidwolf... we all became the outlander after dealing with hutts, dread masters and revan.
Can confirm you'll get more of the ties to who your character was before becoming the "outlander" or "commander" to make the writing lives of bioware easier. Can't say how.