Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

UI Feedback: Materials Inventory (Crafting)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Public Test Server
UI Feedback: Materials Inventory (Crafting)
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

EricMusco
09.19.2019 , 04:35 PM | #1 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hey folks,

One of the things you may have noticed is that with the Onslaught expansion we are making a number of UI improvements. Some of these are improvements on existing systems, others are completely new interfaces for new systems. Reminder that all of this is still a work in progress so don't focus your feedback too much on visual fidelity and focus on functionality. Also, please avoid gameplay feedback as we are really seeking thoughts about the interface only in this thread.

Please share your feedback on the Materials Inventory. The types of feedback we are looking for:
  • Do you understand how to access the Materials Inventory?
  • Do you understand how to put items in, and to withdraw them?
  • Do you understand what can or cannot be placed into the Material Inventory?
  • Is the way items are displayed in the Material Inventory clear?
Those are just some examples, share any thoughts you have!

Thanks.

-eric
Eric Musco | Community Manager
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Gelious
09.19.2019 , 04:57 PM | #2
Do you understand how to access the Materials Inventory?

I didnt know it even existed, stumbled on it by pure accident. Need to make it more obvious somehow.

Do you understand how to put items in, and to withdraw them?

It seems to be bugged. When I run Hammer Station, some color crystals that bosses drop went to my general inventory and not into the materials tab. When I attempted to move them there, game said there is a problem with depositing materials into the storage.

Do you understand what can or cannot be placed into the Material Inventory?

Didnt test it. Assume only crafting materials can go there.

Is the way items are displayed in the Material Inventory clear?

Yes.
"They will not! I command them to know fear! To raise me to my throne! They can not!" - Soa. The Red Eclipse:
Gelious - Sith Marauder; Xatras - Jedi Guardian; Xatra - Commando; Helimana - Mercenary; Nellios - Operative; Mellas - Sith Assassin.

Khaleijo
09.20.2019 , 10:32 AM | #3
Do you understand how to access the Materials Inventory?
I first looked for it at the personal/legacy cargo hold, yet considering you are able to access it from everywhere it makes sense to have the access button attached to the inventory.

Do you understand how to put items in, and to withdraw them?
I understand it, but the withdrawing works differently than what we are used to and what it works like with any other stacking items. With non material items, left click picks the whole stack up to be movable (without holding the left mouse button) to another place, either inside the cargo hold/inventory or from one to the other, right click directly transfers the whole stack to the inventory/cargo hold. To split a stack you have to shift+left(or right) click the stack

With the Materials Inventory though, left click does nothing, holding left mouse button lets you drag and drop exact one item, not the stack nor opening the "split stack" window, right click also moves just a stack of exactly 1 to the inventory. The stack splitting with shift+click then again works the same as with other items.
I guess you'd get used to it working differently, but for people moving materials around often for trading or giving them to other players it might be confusing.

Haven't tested it yet with anything but actual crafting material.

It's sorted by type and withing that category by name like vendor items usually are. By type is clear, for within that, my preference though would be to sort by grade instead of name, since for crafting I'd like to know what grade of material is running low, sorted by grade that would be much easier to track.
Freund werben, 7 Tage Probeabo: www.swtor.com/r/GJhHrY

TrixxieTriss
09.21.2019 , 02:32 AM | #4
Can we please have some info on anymore planned crafting changes?

Solarmind
09.23.2019 , 05:05 AM | #5
This one is one of a tricky question. Sometimes, things that are clearly materials won't go in. Probably a bug.

NO ! Just one big "NO". Even bigger.

A long list with all the materials is the worst solution you could think of. Everything mixed up.
Make it an X×Y grid and put everything into the Type×Grade table. (Maybe look how Guild Wars 2 has it's crafting storage and make something similar.) Pretty please.

In addition, it's divided by every single skill, not by your main crafting profession.
For example, for the Artifice : you may put all the various colored Crystals and Artifacts from the Archaeology, Gemstones form the Treasure Hunting and Bonded Attachments from the Artifice all in one single page in the storage. This would let you see what you have and can craft for any tier any time.
Within the new materials storage it's simply not possible. You'll have to constantly go through that list over and over again till you'll find all the components you'd need.

Medullah
09.25.2019 , 07:59 AM | #6
Would it all be possible to have Jawa Junk added to the crafting bag? With how often it drops now, it would be great to have a place for it other than the legacy bay.

LD_Little_Dragon
09.25.2019 , 03:23 PM | #7
I would prefer the materials inventory to be similar to the legacy bay, so that we can arrange the materials in the way we want to. Arranged by type and alphatically is just not very practical.

I like to arrange mats by type/grade/level so it's easy to see what I'm getting low on.

If the mats inventory goes live as it is then I'll probably keep using the legacy bays for most of my mats.
Stealthy heals, stealthy dps, stealthy tank.

TheCardinal
09.26.2019 , 10:13 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by LD_Little_Dragon View Post
I would prefer the materials inventory to be similar to the legacy bay, so that we can arrange the materials in the way we want to. Arranged by type and alphatically is just not very practical.

I like to arrange mats by type/grade/level so it's easy to see what I'm getting low on.

If the mats inventory goes live as it is then I'll probably keep using the legacy bays for most of my mats.
Could not agree more with you on this one.

Most and I do that today, since it's simpler to use the grid system to sort them and then you know what you have and what you need to collect.
Cardinal / Sweden
Icarus Corporation

http://www.c-system.se/swg/cardinal.png

Hudlar
09.26.2019 , 02:41 PM | #9
First, I want to say how much I appreciate the materials inventory. It will free up so much room in my Legacy cargo hold! I liked the button on the main inventory screen. Moving materials by right-clicking was very straightforward.

However, I completely agree with the people who are asking for a grid interface option, preferably one that's either wide enough or long enough for all mat levels. If that isn't possible, it will be important to make sure there are multiple sort options available for people who don't like the current alphabetical version. I saw what looked like a sort menu, but it didn't seem to be working.

TrixxieTriss
09.27.2019 , 08:18 PM | #10
Colour crystals are not moving into the material inventory. Is this intentional or a bug?