Forgive me, but...

RayearthIX

So, I'm writing because I want some advice. I already main a lvl 44 sage, healin spec, and I just got my smuggler to lvl 10 tonight, and have no idea what to chose. I like the idea of the grenade spec gunslinger, but everything I've read seems to look at that negatively due to the cover system. On the flip side, I feel if I go scoundrel, i'll be too tempted to go healing spec which would be kind of redundant with my sage. I know the general question has been asked ad nausium, but I'm asking again, which path should i go? Thank you.

I would suggest scoundrel, even if you are tempted to go healing the feel of it is different then that of a sage to me. I've played both now up to 30+ and I can already tell the difference in healing styles. Your scoundrel is more of a HoT healer. Not including you get stealth for those times when you need to get away.

I like the idea of the grenade spec gunslinger, but everything I've read seems to look at that negatively due to the cover system.

I don't know why anyone would say something like that, but they clearly don't know what they're talking about. The sabatour build does nothing to interfere with the cover system, other than make you less reliant on it. (Which is a good thing IMO.) I just got to level 50 with my Sab Gunslinger and I wouldn't want to play anything else.

Do you like ranged or melee as far as damage goes? Would you ever want to heal?

Those are the only two class defining questions. You cannot effectively be a ranged scoundrel just as you cannot effectively be a melee or healing gunslinger.

Gunslinger of course is more reliant on cover for two of its trees but dirty fighting is completely viable as well and doesn't require cover to be effective.

Edited by hadoken

My goal is to have 3 playable characters that fit 3 roles. The sage is my healer, I'm making a guardian eventually, an then my smuggler is for dps. Therefore, if I'm joing a group late game I can change to fit the role needed. That being said, what is better for variety? Also, how is scoundrel healing different from sage healing?

Again, sorry, and thank you.

Well if you are only interested in DPS:

Do you prefer a rogue-style stealth + melee DPS?

Or do you prefer ranged dps?

As gunslinger you can still choose if you prefer aoe / single target ... and depending on your skill-tree you are more or less dependend on the cover system.

My goal is to have 3 playable characters that fit 3 roles. The sage is my healer, I'm making a guardian eventually, an then my smuggler is for dps. Therefore, if I'm joing a group late game I can change to fit the role needed. That being said, what is better for variety? Also, how is scoundrel healing different from sage healing?

Again, sorry, and thank you.

To answer your question the Smuggler Healer is very much like a Druid in WoW.

Now the Sage and Medic both have a huge group heal "OH S**T!" button.

The Smuggler Healer does not. I leveled as a Healer to 42 but got tired of getting killed so switched to Scrapper just before the nerf.

Over all the Smuggler is the worst healer in the game for PVE, for PVP he is more mobil so annoys the other side very much.

These are just the facts, you decide.

If you end up going the scoundrel route, I'd almost suggest leveling as a healer. I'm not terribly familiar with sage healing mechanics - but the sawbones has such a perfect storm of CC/reset abilities that it makes leveling exceptionally easy (and fun!) The DPS side of the scoundrel doesn't really start to shine until you get farther up in your skill trees.

Now, mind you, my first high-level character was a sentinel so I'm sure EVERYTHING feels easy to me - but on my healing scoundrel (currently at 45) I've had no trouble with any encounters/flashpoints. I just duo them with a tank and some DPS companions, and then I usually just solo all the Heroic 2 and 4 quests.

The cover system for the Gunslinger is easier to swallow once you get used to it, but still wasn't my cup of tea.

another thing you might wanna take note of is that (from what i've heard, and from my own experiences) gunslingers have far better energy management than scoundrels do. my gunslinger/sharpshooter can sit back in her lawn chair and fire off skill after skill after skill without having to worry about running out of energy. my sawbones on the other hand, has to be more careful. i'm not sure if this is because my scoundrel is still in the lower levels, but another friend who plays a higher-leveled scoundrel pretty much agreed about the lack of energy management.

As a lvl 50 dirty fighting specced gunslinger, I say go Scoundrel.

The occasional healing and stealth will save you tons of time while leveling, and be useful in anything else you want to do. And you can still go dirty fighting. The bleeds are delicious in pvp.

I have my Scoundrel to lvl 37 and love playing him! Steath is a blast, and useful when gathering resources/looting when I have the big guy off on missions - especially when used with our 'stun' ability.

While I initially planned on making my Scoundrel have healing as a backup or even main healer in a 2 - 4 man quesy, I have since dropped that plan.

I feel Scoundrel healing is weak, and even more important to me the Dirty Fighting line WAY more fun! I have a blast letting Bodar get agro and doing DPS when solo, or in group PvP joining in the battle.

I also have a Sage, but only to 18. When I want to contribute Healing to a Guild or Raid group I can switch to her.

But for gathering, looting, or just whopping some *** I prefer to play my Scoundrel!

Barumar

I love my Scrapper/Scoundrel. I had already tried ranged DPS with a Merc/BH. This is so much more fun. Also, stealth is so useful. I was doing a Heroic 4 the other night when the team fell apart half way through. I completed the rest on my own just by stealthing to the objectives.

And shotgun > all.

My main is a Sawbones Scoudrel and I have absolutely no regrets. Just in terms of sheer gameplay the class is incredibly fun to play. It's fun in that you have a wide variety of ways in which you can do damage.

The Jedi Knight has "Lightsaber, lightsaber and lightsaber". It gets very old, very quickly.

Compare that to the Scoundrel. You have a shotgun, stealth, pistols, kicking people in the balls, hitting them over the head with your blaster, grenades AND if you feel so inclined, you can hop into cover and do damage from there. This variety means the class never becomes stale, you're always doing something different in combat.

I can't talk about the Gunslinger, but I'd imagine it'd get pretty dull pretty quickly. The gameplay amounts to "Cover, DPS" and that's pretty much it. The presence of portable cover makes it all extra easy.

That said, if Grenadier Gunslinger appeals to you, you should probably play it anyway. It's all subjective anyhoo.

A final point about healing. Sawbones healing is much more about HoT and actually using your DPS abilities in order to activate your more powerful healing abilities. The Energy system actually forces you to stop playing "Whack a mole" once in a while and actually do some basic DPS while you wait for your energy to recover. You end up going into a cycle of "Heal, DPS, Heal, DPS" as otherwise you'd run out of energy really quickly. This breaks up the monotony of healing you often get with a more traditional mana *ahem* I mean Force bar.

Edited by AnthArmo

I can't talk about the Gunslinger, but I'd imagine it'd get pretty dull pretty quickly. The gameplay amounts to "Cover, DPS" and that's pretty much it. The presence of portable cover makes it all extra easy.

That's more a sharpshooter specifically, not the Gunslinger in general. Sabatour and Dirty Fighting Gunslingers have more variety than that and aren't even that anchored to cover. (Although it's still more than a Scoundrel, obviously.)

Also I'm not sure how portable cover makes it "extra easy". Portable cover isn't the same or as good as natural cover.

Edited by Rown

Scoundrels are the worst PVE class hands down. Worst pve healer, worst pve damage, and no sustained pve damage. Dirty Fighting breaks your entire party's CC as well so it'd not a viable dps tree. You also provide no utility, and you have zero mobility which makes dps in most fights very low.

I have a lvl 50 Scrap Scoundrel. Ran some HM's with guildies. The good part is that so far, I have yet to encounter energy problem. By the time I feel like I need my energy, Cool Head is back off CD. Without dmg meter to see how well I'm doing, can't say whether I'm holding my own in the party. The scoundrel DPS is all melee range affair, so be aware of that if you so choose this adv class. I'm not sure what people mean by "mobility" in a PvE encounter. maybe they spec'd dirty fighting and are speaking of Wounding Shot? At least for scoundrel, everything is insta cast ability.

I'm currently leveling up a Imperial Agent Sniper/engi spec, and as of lvl 35 I haven't encountered a fight I had real trouble with. And I'm reading that with enough crit, Lethality (dirty fighting for gunslinger) rises above its energy issue and starts owning things.

I can't say with absolute certainty whether smuggler is the best course for your DPS toon. And until we get a dmg meter addon (addons in general honestly), only thing anyone can really offer is gut instinct and personal opinions.

well, thank you to everyone who commented. After listening to all of your advice, and talking to people in game, I decided to go gunslinger. I played some pvp with my smuggler and my favorite part of playing was finding an out of the way spot, covering, and pelting people. I've always prefered ranged combat and heals, so ignoring heals (due to my Sage), I wanted the path that would best give me a ranged character (i'll get all the melee I could ever want with my Guardian), and the scoundrel just seemed, through comments and video's, to really be an in close fighter. And of course, if I get bored, I can always just restart, Ord Mantell goes by pretty quickly. Thank you again, and have fun all!