Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What's the best for a Sorcerer? Lightning, Madness or Hybrid?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
What's the best for a Sorcerer? Lightning, Madness or Hybrid?

SargerusIII's Avatar


SargerusIII
01.21.2012 , 02:52 PM | #1
I'm a PvE player, but i do some PvP as well. i currently specced in Lightning with this build:

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-...02000000000000


I think it does very good damage in PVE but it is useless on PvP.


Ppl are saying that Madness is better for PvP and the hybrid spec gets the best of both worlds.

Hybrid spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZfcM0dZcMfRsMkrc.1


What are your thoughts about this? Should i respec into hybrid?
Quote: Originally Posted by jediknightReece View Post
It's the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents. get used to it.
SWTOR REFERRAL LINK

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
01.21.2012 , 02:54 PM | #2
Current theorycrafting is showing the hybrid build ahead by a few percentage points, with Madness then Lightning ranked behind it.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

Aexrael's Avatar


Aexrael
01.21.2012 , 07:49 PM | #3
You may want to consider this instead, it's considerably better than 31 point lightning.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...cM0dZcrcRsMk.1

You can move the 2 points in 'Haunting Presence' to 'Dark Mending' if that suits you better, and the 2 points in 'Exsanguinate' is arguably better spent on 'Lightning Barrier'.

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
01.21.2012 , 08:18 PM | #4
Quote:
You may want to consider this instead, it's considerably better than 31 point lightning.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#20...cM0dZcrcRsMk.1

You can move the 2 points in 'Haunting Presence' to 'Dark Mending' if that suits you better, and the 2 points in 'Exsanguinate' is arguably better spent on 'Lightning Barrier'.
That is an absolutely atrocious build if you're trying to maximize PvE dps. The 10% damage on Deathfield and Chain Lightning and the 3% crit from Corruption doesn't even come close to making up for the 15% damage to Affliction, 2 extra ticks on Crushing Darkness, and 30% crit damage on Deathfield, Affliction, and Crushing Darkness that you sacrificed from Madness.

Also...Lightning Barrier is better than Exsanguinate? Exsanguinate buffs the damage per cast of Affliction by forty percent AND reduces the recast frequency by 40%. Or are you still one of those under the misconception that Exsanguinate just spreads the same amount of damage out over a longer period of time?
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

Aexrael's Avatar


Aexrael
01.21.2012 , 10:15 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Daellia View Post
That is an absolutely atrocious build if you're trying to maximize PvE dps. The 10% damage on Deathfield and Chain Lightning and the 3% crit from Corruption doesn't even come close to making up for the 15% damage to Affliction, 2 extra ticks on Crushing Darkness, and 30% crit damage on Deathfield, Affliction, and Crushing Darkness that you sacrificed from Madness.

Also...Lightning Barrier is better than Exsanguinate? Exsanguinate buffs the damage per cast of Affliction by forty percent AND reduces the recast frequency by 40%. Or are you still one of those under the misconception that Exsanguinate just spreads the same amount of damage out over a longer period of time?
It is hardly an atrocious setup, especially for someone wanting to mix up PvP and PvE.

Regarding Lightning Barrier/Exsanguinate, OP stated he wanted to do some PvP as well as PvE, not just go balls to the walls on DPS. Invalidating Static Shields usefulness is pretty silly on your behalf.

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
01.22.2012 , 02:05 AM | #6
Quote:
It is hardly an atrocious setup, especially for someone wanting to mix up PvP and PvE.

Regarding Lightning Barrier/Exsanguinate, OP stated he wanted to do some PvP as well as PvE, not just go balls to the walls on DPS. Invalidating Static Shields usefulness is pretty silly on your behalf.
A spec that does, to quote the OP, "very good damage in PvE", but isn't "useless in PvP" would be a spec with a solid amount of PvP utility that also maximizes PvE output. That would be 0/13/28. Sacrificing a ton of your damage output for a slight boost to AoE and a ~600 more absorption every 20 seconds is insanity if those are your goals.

Beyond that, if you're going to sacrifice anything for Lightning Barrier, sac Electric Induction, it's easily one of the weakest talents for a Madness-based build (this, incidentally, is precisely what I did with my spec).
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

Theoriginalaks's Avatar


Theoriginalaks
01.22.2012 , 07:18 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by SargerusIII View Post
I'm a PvE player, but i do some PvP as well. i currently specced in Lightning with this build:

http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-...02000000000000


I think it does very good damage in PVE but it is useless on PvP.


Ppl are saying that Madness is better for PvP and the hybrid spec gets the best of both worlds.

Hybrid spec:

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZfcM0dZcMfRsMkrc.1


What are your thoughts about this? Should i respec into hybrid?
Something to consider:

The majority of PvE in swtor is casual enough that you can run a full pvp spec and still complete them with little issue. However pvp in swtor is not so kind to pve specs. If you are engaging in PvE that requires full attention you are better off running a full pve spec anyway.

Basically don't bother half and halfing it. Run around with a pvp spec and then just respec to a pve one when the need really calls for it.

GrevenRhune's Avatar


GrevenRhune
01.22.2012 , 01:59 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Aexrael View Post
It is hardly an atrocious setup
Its a pretty bad build.

SargerusIII's Avatar


SargerusIII
01.25.2012 , 11:48 AM | #9
thanks for the suggestions guys. I changed from Lightning to the Hybrid build(0/18/23) and i notice a far better efficiency in both PvE and PvP.
Quote: Originally Posted by jediknightReece View Post
It's the internet. Where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents. get used to it.
SWTOR REFERRAL LINK

threelibrass's Avatar


threelibrass
01.25.2012 , 12:28 PM | #10
http://torguild.net/calculator/sith-...02131001000000


Rank 67 Sorc here. I've been playing with this since rank 50 or so. I'm an objectives kinda guy. But sometimes I like to just blow **** up. With this build it takes 3 people to kill me most of the time. And I top damage 90% of the games I play. Try it.. You might like it.

Oh.. Not good for pve.. But if you are serious about pvp then try it out.. Stick with madness/lightning for pve