Questions About Sorc Dps:

VIZIOO

Hi Everyone.

My main toon is a Merc, and had recently lv a Sorc Madness dps, Under gear, no augments. My main objective is to become good at it before I start gearing and working with stats. So far I had notice that our survivability is not so great, and our main defenses abilities are not so preventable. So here are the questions:

1. Static Barrier. How good is it against range attack? doesnt strike me as much, specially went getting tunnel by a Merc or Sniper.. so is the case went getting attack by Melees such as Ops or Marauders..

2. Force Barrier. Isn't that supposed to be our Bread and Butter? but it doesn't seen to be the case.. some abilities from Mercs, Ops, and Maras cant prevent the used of that ability..

3. Force Speed combine with Emersion. 2 - 2.5sec of removing movement impairing effects and granting immunity to them, but it doesn't seen to be the case.. it breaks the first impairing movement, but not a second, even before the 2sec are up.. feed back plz..

Aside from those question, it seen like the only true skill for a dps Sorc is the "Run For Your Life" and cast while uncheck..

Edited by VIZIOO

Go madness and you will be able to put more dps out while running for your life. Yes the argument could be made that lightning is better because of the constant slows but I prefer madness because of the dps output while kiting.

But force barrier is not your bread and butter. It is your "Oh Crap" move. Once every 2 minutes or something. Your bread and butter are moves that you use every 7-10 seconds. Your bread and butter is force slow+force speed (with emersion). Emersion works as intended, you just need to be smart about it. Every class has 1-2 gap closers. That means that you use force speed after the gap closers. For example if a mara is on you, and has just rooted you with obliterate you don't use force speed to break the root because that is just the first gap closer. Instead you knockback, maybe root as well in order to get a little more distance. Bait out the force leap, and then force speed away while using force slow.

It's not gonna be like a merc where you can face tank half the damage. If you want to play dps sorc in any kind of pvp scenario you will need to learn how to become annoying with your kiting. Because as a player, if I see a sorc that can not kite, you will be the first I tunnel.

It's not gonna be like a merc where you can face tank half the damage. If you want to play dps sorc in any kind of pvp scenario you will need to learn how to become annoying with your kiting. Because as a player, if I see a sorc that can not kite, you will be the first I tunnel.

^ This 100%. Your best defensive is to be the most inconvenient target. You'll find that the better players out there would rather beat up on a target more conducive to topping the charts than chase you around all game.

dps sorc are best played along merc/sniper/mara since they will be focused before you. you can just calmly chill around, dps everything and melt faces.

not being a fotm classe is both a pro and a con.

con since you obviously lack the tools of the fotm classes

pro since people just ignore you lol, allowing maximum dps time.

^ This 100%. Your best defensive is to be the most inconvenient target. You'll find that the better players out there would rather beat up on a target more conducive to topping the charts than chase you around all game.

Yep, kite, LoS, annoy, stay alive. Rinse and repeat.

dps sorc are best played along merc/sniper/mara since they will be focused before you. you can just calmly chill around, dps everything and melt faces.

not being a fotm classe is both a pro and a con.

con since you obviously lack the tools of the fotm classes

pro since people just ignore you lol, allowing maximum dps time.

Anyone that ignores a Sorc who is free casting is an idiot. Sorc will do high numbers if you allow them to do that all match. Especially if they are spamming AOE abilities on a confined group of other idiots who stand in it.

I don’t suggest people chase Sorcs around all match, especially ones are good at kiting. But they must be prepared to stop them from free casting. Pressure needs to be applied or they need to be cc’d or stunned.

If pressure is applied to a Sorc all match, they will do a lot less dps than they would normally. You can always tell if a dps Sorc has had a lot of pressure applied to them because their healing stats will be extremely high and their dps won’t be as high as it would be if those healing stats were lower. Either that or the Sorc has 10 deaths 🙄

I always focus Sorcs first because they are easier to burn down.

Let's say I'm up against a Mercenary and a DPS Sorc...I'm going to attack the Mercenary first and get him to pop his first bubble, as soon as that first bubble appears CC and switch to Sorc, if the Merc uses his stun breaker when I switch, I switch back to him and put him on a longer timeout before switching back to the Sorc to burn him down.

The other day in Yavin I solo killed two node guards and captured their node doing exactly that.

Edited by Aeneas_Falco

I always focus Sorcs first because they are easier to burn down.

Let's say I'm up against a Mercenary and a DPS Sorc...I'm going to attack the Mercenary first and get him to pop his first bubble, as soon as that first bubble appears CC and switch to Sorc, if the Merc uses his stun breaker when I switch, I switch back to him and put him on a longer timeout before switching back to the Sorc to burn him down.

The other day in Yavin I solo killed two node guards and captured their node doing exactly that.

That requires people knowing what a hard swap is or using tactics. It’s way to hard for this generation of swtor pvpers to get their heads around.

In the meantime, people like us will continue to dominate those who have no idea how to do this. It’s one of the reasons people QQ about specs that aren’t OP (like my Jugg soloing two Mara Guards on Yavin)

Edited by TrixxieTriss

That requires people knowing what a hard swap is or using tactics. It’s way to hard for this generation of swtor pvpers to get their heads around.

In the meantime, people like us will continue to dominate those who have no idea how to do this. It’s one of the reasons people QQ about specs that aren’t OP (like my Jugg soloing two Mara Guards on Yavin)

True, Tactics don't always work when your team mates are involved, they'll just break the stun you applied...over and over and over. as they try and smash through that mercs yellow bubble.

True, Tactics don't always work when your team mates are involved, they'll just break the stun you applied...over and over and over. as they try and smash through that mercs yellow bubble.

IKR, it’s infuriating sometimes and you just want to go solo against two because you don’t get any interence from noobs.

So many times I’ve planned and excuted a tactic perfectly and I’m about to get my “gold star” and some dumb team mate comes and messes it up in the last 2 secs.

I nearly had a triple solo the other day and as I was going for the last blow, this guy comes flying in to steal the kill. Then doesn’t even cap, just runs off while I’m trying to heal. Next thing those three guys come back when they see him run off and my DCDs are blown and I’m still healing. If he had capped, I wouldn’t have had to and I would be have been full health. I even called incs and held them off for a long time, but he never came back.

Alot of it is kiting and spreading dots...the force barrier is your lifeline along with phase walk. The static barrier was nerfed but still helpful with light armor. I have seen a couple of sorcs throw in w def augments but i havent done that. I am usually towrds the top in dps on the scoreboard but killing blows around 5 to 10.

Anyone that ignores a Sorc who is free casting is an idiot. Sorc will do high numbers if you allow them to do that all match. Especially if they are spamming AOE abilities on a confined group of other idiots who stand in it.

I don’t suggest people chase Sorcs around all match, especially ones are good at kiting. But they must be prepared to stop them from free casting. Pressure needs to be applied or they need to be cc’d or stunned.

If pressure is applied to a Sorc all match, they will do a lot less dps than they would normally. You can always tell if a dps Sorc has had a lot of pressure applied to them because their healing stats will be extremely high and their dps won’t be as high as it would be if those healing stats were lower. Either that or the Sorc has 10 deaths 🙄

you're assuming the avg pug knows that lol, pugs don't even know that damage breaks mezz.

so often time you'll be capturing objective while some idiot breaks your cc'd target

you're assuming the avg pug knows that lol, pugs don't even know that damage breaks mezz.

so often time you'll be capturing objective while some idiot breaks your cc'd target

Oh, I agree completely. At least once a match I see idiots break a cc or mez. Drives me nuts if I’ve timed it perfectly so I don’t white bar them.

On my mad sorc in regs im not dying very often... but most of the time i have my damage equals to my heals, sometimes my heals can surpass my damage. How weird/bad i am? :D

Not really weird, it’s just the reality because they do such weak damage. So you spend more time kiting and healing than you get to dps.

Aside from those question, it seen like the only true skill for a dps Sorc is the "Run For Your Life" and cast while uncheck..

In a word, kiting, which is the classic defense for ranged which in of it self isn't bad, the problem and where sorcs get screwed over is that they are pretty much the only ranged class that needs to kite. You look at Mercs and Snipers for example, they can face tank anything, often multiple opponents for unreasonably long amounts of time. A sorc cannot do that, they are kinda like the quindessential ranged archetype. Now you compare what Sorcs have to do to what Mercs and Snipers don't have to do, but do have the option as well [kite] it certainly puts them in a much more favorable posistion as ranged.

It's the same with the issue of self heals in the ranged classes. Sorc has excellent self heals, however, they come at the price of some DPS [Can't heal and DPS at the same time], which, it should, you shouldn't be able to heal and attack both at the same time, which is exactly what Mercs and Snipers can do.

Sorc isn't doing anything wrong, they aren't breaking the mold, they aren't breaking Trinity, they are how ranged really should be. While I do feel it is appropriate that healing come at the cost of some amount of DPS, it's important to consider the alternative, that it is much less of a DPS loss than dying is. It's unfair to Sorcs that they have to do it and that the other Ranged DPS don't have to do it.

The best Sorc DPS I have seen all have something in common, non of them attempt to face tank, they use the very high mobility that sorcs do have in spades in conjunction with specing into as many slows, mezzes, stuns as they can. Lightning Sorcs have an insane amount of slows if properly speced and they can literally keep alot of melee slowed back to back. Mobility and the depriving of an enemy of theirs seem to be what they use to their advantage. That might not work on every enemy [Fury Marauder, crouched Snipers, Mercs while buffed, etc.] but it can be extremely effective. As long as Mercs and Snipers have such leeway with both their defensives and the manner in which they can gain heals while not sacrificing DPS, it does leave Sorc DPS in a less enviable position as a rDPS than them. I don't think Sorcs should be more like them, I think they should be more like Sorcs. The combination of high DPS and very strong heals both occurring at the same time is too strong for a ranged class [any DPS really] and is partially the reason why pretty much everyone feels Mercs and Snipers are OP. They break trinity, Sorcs don't. If anything, IMO Sorcs should have the best self heals of the DPS specs.