Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Things you always wanted to know...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
Things you always wanted to know...

tacito
07.15.2012 , 11:08 AM | #1
...but were too afraid to ask.

I'm pretty sure we once had a thread like this, but my search-fu is weak on this forum, search didn't turn up anything related.

So, anyone, any question, all's fair game. There's a lot of experienced players around, profit from their knowledge. In case they're sharing. I will answer stuff whenever I can spare the time, but I'm not too much of an experienced player.

To get things going, I'll break the ice and ask the first thing I always wanted to know: According to my calculations, accuracy provides ~0.8% increased damage when going from 90% to 100% hit chance for ranged attacks. Yet, the rakata pieces are loaded with it. Is there a reason to this, or did someone simply roll a die to determine what secondary stat gets slapped onto rakata stuff?

chuixupu
07.15.2012 , 01:31 PM | #2
Don't know if anyone can answer that question, honestly.....

Maybe because Snipers may share some of the same pieces (ears, implants, knives)
I generally move all my mods around like crazy.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Rompdomp
07.15.2012 , 11:07 PM | #3
Are you only immune to knock backs and leaps when you take cover behind actual cover or do you get the benefit too if you just crouch (this is prob a dumb question but I really am confused on the benefits of using cover).

Rizael
07.16.2012 , 12:31 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by tacito View Post
[B]To get things going, I'll break the ice and ask the first thing I always wanted to know: According to my calculations, accuracy provides ~0.8% increased damage when going from 90% to 100% hit chance for ranged attacks. Yet, the rakata pieces are loaded with it. Is there a reason to this, or did someone simply roll a die to determine what secondary stat gets slapped onto rakata stuff?
Because the class design team and the itemization team never talked. Nah, I am just kidding, the real reason would be to increase the amount of grind the force players to get the same pieces over and over instead of quickly getting everything and not wanting to play anymore. There is almost no sets of armor in the entire game that is properly itemized for the class as a gearset whole. There are classes that have their "gathering" easier like the BH's which get pieces that have the best crit mod and enh on the glove piece, and other advantages (which will eventually half the amount of pvp work you have to do). PvE encounters in "other" games usually have bosses with high evasion so the accuracy was most likely made to mitigate this (Tech atk's + acc is fail)

Quote: Originally Posted by Rompdomp View Post
Are you only immune to knock backs and leaps when you take cover behind actual cover or do you get the benefit too if you just crouch (this is prob a dumb question but I really am confused on the benefits of using cover).
You are immune to leaps and pulls (can't remember if we get interrupt immunity - if we do all heal ops should use it) but not knockbacks (unsure if you can be friendly pulled *would assume you can be*) like a non hunkered down sniper behind actual cover. Taking cover in place yields no defensive results but allows you to use the skillset "from cover"

Rompdomp
07.16.2012 , 10:04 AM | #5
Thanks for the clarification on how cover works Rizael.

Kyntari
07.16.2012 , 11:16 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Rizael View Post
You are immune to leaps and pulls (can't remember if we get interrupt immunity - if we do all heal ops should use it) but not knockbacks (unsure if you can be friendly pulled *would assume you can be*) like a non hunkered down sniper behind actual cover. Taking cover in place yields no defensive results but allows you to use the skillset "from cover"
Taking cover in place aka crouch does grant immunity to pull and leap, as long as you don't get CCed out of crouch.
Lithann | Operative | <Pkers> | P5

Rizael
07.16.2012 , 02:04 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kyntari View Post
Taking cover in place aka crouch does grant immunity to pull and leap, as long as you don't get CCed out of crouch.
This is correct I just tested it pull does not work crouching in the middle of a field of flowers with no blocks in the way for some reason. Also I tested the interrupt and interrupts still work against us in either form of our cover, so no god-mode healing I am afraid.

TheOpf
07.16.2012 , 03:48 PM | #8
Anyone else notice that you have to reapply Fletchette round to give the bleed to back blast? If I use it for shoot first the ARP sticks, but the bleed no longer applies to backblast unless you reload it. So if I wait 7 seconds to use back blast, I have to reapply Fletchette before using it to get the bleed going. Does this seem ridiculous to anyone else? Is it working as intended?

When should you self heal during a fight? If you do it after Dirty Kick, than you are missing a free chance to damage the guy with Back Blast?

Didn't Hemo or Wounding shots have a bleed when the game launched?

The last question I ask, because I was playing a Dirty Fighter when the game launched than left my scoundrel till after 1.3 when I came back to it, and I seem to remember a 3rd bleed
The Bounty Hunter AP Guide: Always Learning -Vanguard Tactics Guide: Where is my PG Slow?
Anam Ithieor- 50 AP Powertech
Anbas Ithieor- 20 Operative (lethality/healer)

Nizel
07.17.2012 , 05:22 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TheOpf View Post
Anyone else notice that you have to reapply Fletchette round to give the bleed to back blast? If I use it for shoot first the ARP sticks, but the bleed no longer applies to backblast unless you reload it. So if I wait 7 seconds to use back blast, I have to reapply Fletchette before using it to get the bleed going. Does this seem ridiculous to anyone else? Is it working as intended?
Intended. While its funny to two shot sages when you're properly geared, it is generally not a good idea to clip the acid blade dot, your proper rotation should push backstab until after the DoT has fallen off, you should use this time to get your two TA's, using one for stim boost, and the second to assist your other damage with the 2% buff until the cd on shiv expires again. It was tedious two years ago when I started playing the class, but now its second nature.

Quote:
When should you self heal during a fight? If you do it after Dirty Kick, than you are missing a free chance to damage the guy with Back Blast?
Obviously the best time is when you know they have burned their escape on something like your debilitate, and you have a flashbang up. As concealment it is much better to be proactive about dealing with dots by using toxin scan frequently than having to heal in the middle of a fight, you should aim to get in, burn down a high priority target, and get out before their buddies even know you're there. No other class can kill as quickly as a geared concealment operative that is also a skilled twitch player.

Quote:
Didn't Hemo or Wounding shots have a bleed when the game launched?
Scoundrel dots are bleeds, operative dots are poison based. Both deal internal damage.
Vyel One <Paralysis> - Star Forge
Former PvP & Raid Officer <Working As Intended>
Wound In The Force - US West - PvP
Concealment Since 2010. Accept No Substitutes.

TheOpf
07.17.2012 , 05:45 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Nizel View Post

Scoundrel dots are bleeds, operative dots are poison based. Both deal internal damage.
I am aware of the mechanics. I thought Hemo also attached a bleed, but it looks like it never did. Thanks for the advice though.
The Bounty Hunter AP Guide: Always Learning -Vanguard Tactics Guide: Where is my PG Slow?
Anam Ithieor- 50 AP Powertech
Anbas Ithieor- 20 Operative (lethality/healer)