Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

To Kolto Pack or not to Kolto Pack - PVE

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Scoundrel / Operative
To Kolto Pack or not to Kolto Pack - PVE

theblaznee
08.27.2012 , 02:50 AM | #1
I only just recently started doing the harder ops, and have until now not really used Kolto Pack at all. I'm also running around with the 2 set bonus from both pve and pvp to boost my Kolto Cloud instead of going for that 15% crit chance on Kolto Pack.

So basically my question is for scoundrel healers with good experience at EC HM and KP NM.. Do you play with the pve 4 set bonus and Kolto Pack regular usage for burst heal (I'm thinking a holy crap moment of UM+KP+EM+EM burst - or even 2 Kolto Packs), or do you use pvp 2 set bonus for a boosted Kolto Cloud and rely on UM+EM for burst heals?

What kinds of crit, surge, power, cunning stats are you running? Right now I'm running pure cunning augs for the bonus heal bonus.
Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance or my kindness for weakness!

Fight hard, die well!

CERMINE
08.27.2012 , 03:15 PM | #2
I personally never use Kolto Pack, even in the "oh crap" moments (and my guild has cleared EC HM). I tend to stack a little more crit than other Scoundrels probably, but that allows me to hit harder with my Underworld Medicine/Emergency Medpack combo. I have no problems keeping either tank up during Kephess.

That said, I'm sure others use Kolto Pack with success. If I was running with the 4-piece PVE set bonus it may also influence my use of KP. As it stands, I have the 2-piece PVE/PVP set bonuses to give me a more effective/energy efficient Kolto Cloud.

My build:
Click Here
Ermageddon - Shadow Deeps, Ermeena - Vanguard Tank/DPS

Ermania- Guardian DPS, Erminus - Sage DPS
<Invictus>

mikebevo
08.27.2012 , 03:40 PM | #3
Have no PVP gear, healer is 100% PVE. Even though I'm full BH now I have the mods in my Rakata shell to keep both set bonuses and I have gotten to the point now where energy is rarely an issue, I almost never use Kolto Pack.

IMO Kolto Pack just cost too much. I may use it at the end of a fight on a tank to top them off, but only if it looks like I'm about to die.Still with EM that rarely happens.

Holly Crap moments for me are EM, EM followed by UM. May throw a KC in there if it is melee DPS or the tank if others around them also too damage. I will also to EM (tank), EM (DPS), KC, EM (tank), UM (DPS) and UM (Tank) if it was both taking damage at the same time. I trust my tanks to mitigate damage while I heal the DPS after I stabilize them. They know I will be back to them ASAP, but squishy DPS need some healing. Real oh crap moment also includes using one of my adrenals.

Any sawbones coming up that want to practice oh crap moments outside of a group setting, go do CtS solo with your tank or alt geared DPS. It is fairly easy, but there is always at least one oh crap moment if all you do during the final boss is heal. Good practice on keeping energy up too.

theblaznee
08.28.2012 , 04:48 AM | #4
It seems like you people are using it the same amount I have ended up using it.. If you have the excess energy it's a decent choice, but otherwise it's UM+EM all the way..

My crit/surge is also on the high side I'd say. 37% and 76% approximately.. An UM critting is 6300 and EM critting is 3500, a KP critting is 5800.. In approximate numbers.. I think I get 1400 or so on a crit SRM tick.. 900'ish on a Kolto Cloud Crit tick..

I'm thinking I could go even higher on crit chance possibly..
Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance or my kindness for weakness!

Fight hard, die well!

Metalmac
08.28.2012 , 05:19 AM | #5
I got 650000 on doing Kephass per the parcer we use.
Not a record like Nightmare mode of 750000 but failed at 8% boss health left. (Other healer died)
I use Koto Cloud on the Melee when I can or on myself standing in the crowd of casters.
You just need to keep Punacity up all the time. And during any 3 second lull use Diagnostic Scan for Energy.
I am not that well geared but have 34.85 crit and 77.52 Surge, also 13.78 Alacrity.

I do not claim to be a great healer, but some think I am.

So yea use Koto as much as you can as you can cast in on the run and heals for substantial amounts.

mikebevo
08.28.2012 , 10:08 AM | #6
There is a difference between Kolto Cloud and Kolto Pack. Kolto Cloud is limited, but useful in healing 4 people at once. Kolto Pack is decent heal, but it consumes 20 energy and also 1 Upper Hand. So my personal opinion is it is not cost efficient.

This is without my stim, I'm biochem so I always have the extra cunning and power supplied by the Rakata Skill Stim.

I still need to replace a few enhancements, mods and my barrel, but right now without Stim I am setting at:
2178 Cunning
662 Power
213 Crit
228 Surge
Alacrity 336

Still have some work to do getting Surge to 285 and Crit up to at least 250.

With the stim, Cunning is 2290 and Power is 708.

theblaznee
08.29.2012 , 01:46 AM | #7
I managed to optimize my gear quite a bit yesterday when I decided to really dig into it, so now I'm getting 6800-7100 crits on my UM's..

690.2 bonus heal rating with some 2150 cunning and 880 power or so.. I don't have the exact numbers.. (with all buffs).

That coupled with a crit chance of just under 35% (I would like this to be a tad bit higher) and 76% surge.. I think I'm pretty well geared.. And I'm running with 2 pcs. pve and pvp setbonus.. My Battlemaster pants have pve only mods in them though. I could do the same with a Battlemaster chest, but I want the look from the War Hero chest.

I have mods gathered from columi, rakata and Black Hole, and in my chest I have the pvp stuff to boost my crit rating a bit at the cost of some cunning and power.. I don't think I can afford to go much lower on my crit rating. I've been scouring the gear availiable to me, and it looks pretty optimal to me.. At least until I get my hands on Campaign gear - which I haven't checked out yet..

2 War Hero power relics

Everything with blue mk-6 cunning augs.. So I can get 26 more cunning from purple augs (there's one purple augment in the bunch)..

Fight hard, die well!

LilTsar
08.30.2012 , 01:15 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Metalmac View Post
I got 650000 on doing Kephass per the parcer we use.
Not a record like Nightmare mode of 750000 but failed at 8% boss health left. (Other healer died)
I use Koto Cloud on the Melee when I can or on myself standing in the crowd of casters.
You just need to keep Punacity up all the time. And during any 3 second lull use Diagnostic Scan for Energy.
I am not that well geared but have 34.85 crit and 77.52 Surge, also 13.78 Alacrity.

I do not claim to be a great healer, but some think I am.

So yea use Koto as much as you can as you can cast in on the run and heals for substantial amounts.
probably the most telling response in here, in that it shows how kolto pack is so unnecessary you can be a damn good healer without even knowing what it is. still, i like it for when im sitting on plenty of energy and 3 uhs, or less freqently when im afraid a circles gonna pop under me or something and i wont have the time uwm.
The Shadowlands: The Further Legacy
Brunch, Cowpunk, Hansky, Indiga,
Swashbuckle, Sharu, Monky & Gettinsmashed

Joajoa
08.30.2012 , 04:47 PM | #9
To clarify:
Kolto CLOUD is useful,Kolto PACK is not.

Kolto Pack is only useful to a Scoundrel who isn't Sawbones,but decides to backup heal in an emergency (ie the main/only healer dies) .Even then,it's barely worth it,as it only gives a meagre amount of energy savings over Underworld Med.It might allow a non-Sawbones Scoundrel an extra heal before his Power runs out.