Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tips for countering bomber/gunship nest in TDM - when flying solo?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Galactic Starfighter
Tips for countering bomber/gunship nest in TDM - when flying solo?

announcerharris
07.30.2014 , 11:23 AM | #1
Hoping some of the aces here might shed some light on this. Encountered a couple premades earlier while flying alone who employed the bomber/gunship nest tactic. I know that the premade group will always have the advantage over a group of solo pilots (as it should be), but was wondering how I might at least make life difficult for them.

My thoughts were:
- Pike w/ EMP missiles (found I was getting slaughtered by the gunships too quickly - was lucky to get the missile off)
- Quarrel w/ max ion cannon (thought it worked a bit better, but wasn't able to get any cover from teammates against enemy scouts)
- Nova w/ EMP pulse (didn't have this ship as one of my 5 during the match - anyone have success with this build?)

Thanks for any advice!
Phalcon hopes you Have A Nice Day!

Verain
07.30.2014 , 11:27 AM | #2
I would recommend the Quarrel, next to an asteroid. Charge while out of LOS of an edge guy and strafe into view and fire. This should make either one retreat, or more than one swap to you. Remember to strafe out of LOS immediately too!

Alternatively, if you have a scout with a 9 second distortion built for evasion with quads and pods, you can use LOS to close in, then dash towards a gunship and pop cooldowns. When he flees or dies, find somewhere LOS of the other gunships.

Lastly, if you have a mobility scout built in TDM you can try to eat reds and make dives at bombers or gunships.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."

Nemarus
07.30.2014 , 11:54 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Verain View Post
I would recommend the Quarrel, next to an asteroid. Charge while out of LOS of an edge guy and strafe into view and fire. This should make either one retreat, or more than one swap to you. Remember to strafe out of LOS immediately too!

Alternatively, if you have a scout with a 9 second distortion built for evasion with quads and pods, you can use LOS to close in, then dash towards a gunship and pop cooldowns. When he flees or dies, find somewhere LOS of the other gunships.

Lastly, if you have a mobility scout built in TDM you can try to eat reds and make dives at bombers or gunships.
Ah... and here I thought someone had been cheating when I watched him charge up an Ion Railgun while moving into LOS of me. He was strafing! I didn't know that worked.
Shayd / Callem / RK-4X / "Trynt" - Leader of <Eclipse Squadron>, The Ebon Hawk
http://EclipseSquadron.enjin.com Imperial GSF-focused guild

"Serve the Emperor above all others."

ALaggyGrunt
07.31.2014 , 03:00 PM | #4
If they're in voice chat, you don't. You may be smart enough to not fly into that, but that swarm of two-ship noobs you got queued with isn't, and they're smart enough to not fly out where you can hit them, or to single you out.

magecutter
08.01.2014 , 10:02 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by announcerharris View Post
Hoping some of the aces here might shed some light on this. Encountered a couple premades earlier while flying alone who employed the bomber/gunship nest tactic. I know that the premade group will always have the advantage over a group of solo pilots (as it should be), but was wondering how I might at least make life difficult for them.

My thoughts were:
- Nova w/ EMP pulse (didn't have this ship as one of my 5 during the match - anyone have success with this build?)

Thanks for any advice!
a fully upgraded Nova with EMP can cause a lot of trouble for the bomber / gunship nests you mentioned.
you need to use the Novas speed and maneuverability to pull it off.

most times the nest is at the fringe of the the battle (outer edge of battle zone) and it's best to LoS your way to the 'back side' or flank of the nest. (this is 3D combat so consider starting the attack run from above or below the nest)

boost into the middle of the mine field and pop emp then barrel roll out of harms way. also, right angle turns are your friend as it makes it much harder for gunships to target you. (yes, you will take some damage. however, I'll set shields to max as I start my run and come out the other side with no hull damage).

obviously, pop any defensive CD's as needed. either on the way in, while in the middle of the run or on the way out.

the goal is to destroy as many mines / drones as possible. especially the rail gun drones.
this is just a hit and run tactic and you'll likely not have time to get many shots off during the run except for the stray mine or drone.

this also works well against heavily defended Sats.

I really wish more Nova Pilots would consider using EMP as an offensive weapon. watching half a dozen mines or drones explode as I fly through can be a lot of fun, and always proves to be helpful for the team.

hope this helps and good luck

DamascusAdontise
08.01.2014 , 11:44 AM | #6
I'll agree with Verain and go with the T2 evasion scout (max evasion, with TT/BO and CF for bite). Use LOS to get to within 10-12k then BR to target pop offensive cd's and light up one of their GS. You can only expose yourself for a few seconds so hit and then run back to LOS quick, with luck you will get the kill.

If the bombers are smart they will lay mines and make the formation tougher to harass, as a solo player there is not a lot you can do if they are set up very well. Truth be told though most of the time these formations can get sloppy and there are targets away from the mines that are vulnerable.

Warning: If you manage to land a couple kills on one of these groups they will start to watch for you, try to vary where you attack from and when. I like LOS objects that are vertically high in the map due to: A) people might not be looking there B) people generally aim mid plane, even if they see you they have to track a bit to line you up.

Great way to keep them on their toes or make them pay for laziness
Ahazi Server Refugee (Beta - Shutdown) RIP TIE & Twin Ion
[Circle of Emnity] - Pincer - Ocula Pilot - The Bastion
New to GSF? Look Here!. // And Here!

Muljo_Stpho
08.01.2014 , 09:33 PM | #7
Wait a second. Ships can still move a bit while parked?! (Or just gunships while targeting?) And that doesn't kick you back into gear so you start moving forward again? Crazy.

I am at least aware of the controls for strafing and I had messed around with it briefly in the tutorial stage at some point, but that was about it. I never thought to try it parked or in an aiming gunship.

Camelpockets
08.01.2014 , 09:44 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by magecutter View Post
a fully upgraded Nova with EMP can cause a lot of trouble for the bomber / gunship nests you mentioned.
you need to use the Novas speed and maneuverability to pull it off.

most times the nest is at the fringe of the the battle (outer edge of battle zone) and it's best to LoS your way to the 'back side' or flank of the nest. (this is 3D combat so consider starting the attack run from above or below the nest)

boost into the middle of the mine field and pop emp then barrel roll out of harms way. also, right angle turns are your friend as it makes it much harder for gunships to target you. (yes, you will take some damage. however, I'll set shields to max as I start my run and come out the other side with no hull damage).

obviously, pop any defensive CD's as needed. either on the way in, while in the middle of the run or on the way out.

the goal is to destroy as many mines / drones as possible. especially the rail gun drones.
this is just a hit and run tactic and you'll likely not have time to get many shots off during the run except for the stray mine or drone.

this also works well against heavily defended Sats.

I really wish more Nova Pilots would consider using EMP as an offensive weapon. watching half a dozen mines or drones explode as I fly through can be a lot of fun, and always proves to be helpful for the team.

hope this helps and good luck
This is normally what I do in these situations. Glad I'm not the only one
"We have winnowed all futures. The cull endures. It is optimal. It is necessary." - Shiva
Camels the Revanchist
The Pockets Legacy - Begeren Colony & Shadowlands

Ryuku-sama
08.01.2014 , 09:52 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Muljo_Stpho View Post
Wait a second. Ships can still move a bit while parked?! (Or just gunships while targeting?) And that doesn't kick you back into gear so you start moving forward again? Crazy.

I am at least aware of the controls for strafing and I had messed around with it briefly in the tutorial stage at some point, but that was about it. I never thought to try it parked or in an aiming gunship.
Yeah it's called strafed. Normally bound to WASD.
"If it wasn't broken, we shall break it. If it is balanced, we shall beat it until slow and painful death follows. If it is overpowered, it is working as intended." - Bioware 2015

Verain
08.01.2014 , 11:28 PM | #10
Strafe is not normally bound to WASD, is it? I think that's wrong. I'm pretty sure S is normally "low engine", at the very least, and I think A and D are roll? I have to remap promptly, I use a G600 mouse and a Dvorak keyboard so literally none of the default maps are useful.

Some fun strafe facts:

1)- It's very very hard to get the strafe speeds, if not impossible.
2)- If you strafe with vertical and horizontal, I'm pretty sure you actually go faster, but I just don't know.
3)- I'm 100% positive you can't use vertical strafe to help you turn faster- strafe must be disabled entirely in certain situations.
4)- Gunships seem to strafe better than other ships, and even have this mentioned in their class description.
5)- If you strafe into a solid object, you can die- the bounce logic seems to be feeble here.
"The most despicable person on the GSF forum."