No More Engine Excuses...Just Open Up The Carrots!

Josewales

Us old skools have endured lag locks over a decade ago in the likes of AO, Daoc, SWG etc... BW don't worry, some of us won't complain if you hand out open RvR carrots again. Pretty please! Since some of us pvpers don't complain nor touch certain aspects to your PvE and don't complain, we expect the same from the pvers if you do. Even the 'rockpaperscissor' WoWheads shouldn't care cuz they will still have their arenas.

No more engine excuses....JUST DO IT!

Before a new gen MMO finally gets it right:P

Not just a engine excuse, more a fact.. look what happened to the 16m ops ques.. totally fcked up the servers..

The game's engine isn't easy to "upgrade" as its tied to literally everything you see.. Being the most stable beta engine they had and EA"s push for release they have been patching it frequently but it's still a beta engine...

Does not help they makers of the engine is no longer with BW..

Heard a rumor BW is planning a SWToR 2 with Disney backing instead of EA, nothing I've been able to confirm though, But supposedly they will be using a already proven engine.

but it's still a beta engine...

Does not help they makers of the engine is no longer with BW..

Heard a rumor BW is planning a SWToR 2 with Disney backing instead of EA, nothing I've been able to confirm though, But supposedly they will be using a already proven engine.

If Disney tries that, they will get blown to pieces in court for violating a contract that has another decade left on it.

Also the engine has seen significant improvements since launch. Original engine couldn't handle much of the stuff we have now.

Even if they fixed the engine tomorrow, the bigger issue is faction balance. The fact that one side was getting obliterated so badly on Ilum was one of the biggest reasons it died within a week.

I do have an idea to work around this but it's pretty high concept and still only works with wide-scale PvP (not open world): allow players to queue up as a neutral party. They would be immediately placed on whatever side has the fewer numbers as a hired hand. Advantage to the player is that they would earn larger rewards (dependent upon the faction imbalance) and have shorter queue times.

You can even monetize it. Allow players to have a "neutral" avatar skin that swaps out for their player models when they play on the opposing faction. Allow players to customize their appearance similar to how they do in the GSF. Special armor or weapon skins could be purchased at a premium. Even allow players to play as wookiees or droids or other NPC races.

Massive project I know but a pretty certain money maker. Hell, they can still do it with instanced to help balance out faction imbalances there.

If I feel like playing RvR owpvp I just fire up GW2, and I'd rather do that then wait for BW to release a subpar version a year+ from now, and then inevitably watch them fail to capitalize on it and eventually give up on it altogether. Edited by DrewFromPhilly

A better solution would be to set up a instance of old ilum. But instead of being a traditional warzone, it is continuous where when one person leaves, another to put in. Have a cap of say 40v40. That way you get the old ilum large scale PvP without the one faction sitting outside the other's base farming them all day.

A cap is how GW2 does it (for each area in WvW) but the cap in that game is FAR more than 40 players from each server, and you can have hundreds of ppl. If SWTOR can't handle it, it can't handle it. And that aside, BW would never do this. Even if they did decide to and released it (realistically speaking here) more than a year from now, you'd be dealing with a heavily restricted and inferior version of something being done on a larger and more impressive scale in several other MMOs on the market - so why even bother asking?

Occasionally we all hear rumors about things. And some of them even seem realistic enough that we actually buy it.

But seriously... this rumor?

Care to guess how it would be possible for Bioware, that's a division of EA, to be producing something of this magnitude for anyone else but EA?

Pop balance? Come on even that is a narrow minded excuse also. RvR success relies on the right carrots. All BW has to do is mirror Bounty Event, where pvpers have a half a dozen dailies or missions to choose from that sends us out across different planets. If things look like poo at one, move onto another one. This model would take little effort on BW part. Such excuses can easily be trained away by carrots. One side controlling half a dozen missions would be next near impossible with server coordination.

Anyways excuses excuses excuses! Is All I hear from this community. All BW has to do is use their brain and a bit of MMO homework for a change.....and most important 'care'.

I want an actual open war dammit!:)

Edited by Josewales

I agree with Josie. There's no reason they couldn't put a terminal in front of each entrance of even Outlaw's Den with a "Get 25 open world kills in Outlaw's Den" Daily, and a "Get 100 open world kills in Outlaw's Den" weekly.

If population control is an issue, then resources could be put in place to make OD instanced within the larger world. But on Ilum this has not been a problem. Ilum itself is just instanced over and over and it's fine during Gree event owpvp.

I agree with Josie. There's no reason they couldn't put a terminal in front of each entrance of even Outlaw's Den with a "Get 25 open world kills in Outlaw's Den" Daily, and a "Get 100 open world kills in Outlaw's Den" weekly.

all that does is promote kill trading

If population control is an issue, then resources could be put in place to make OD instanced within the larger world. But on Ilum this has not been a problem. Ilum itself is just instanced over and over and it's fine during Gree event owpvp.

but each instance had population issues. It was never even remotely equal, ever. And one side farming the other out of respawn 24/7 is not good pvp.

I posted that idea but as someone pointed out to me it could be exploited by kill trading. If you do not think it would happen

If Disney tries that, they will get blown to pieces in court for violating a contract that has another decade left on it.

Also the engine has seen significant improvements since launch. Original engine couldn't handle much of the stuff we have now.

The disney EA deal I heard specifically doesn't cover MMOs. Though it would be stupid for them to make another MMO in this time period, if there is going ot be a new Star Wars MMO, it would be set during the new movie time period to capitalize on it.

The disney EA deal I heard specifically doesn't cover MMOs. Though it would be stupid for them to make another MMO in this time period, if there is going ot be a new Star Wars MMO, it would be set during the new movie time period to capitalize on it.

I am unaware of any Disney/EA deal. I was referring to the LucasArts/EA deal that was signed before LucasArts Was bought out. To my knowledge it gives rights to all games. Also for those of you who don't understand how contracts work, that contract still stands regardless of who owns LucasArts.