*-* Extending Camera Distance Beyond Maximum *-*

Segundus

I looked around in the INI files and saw the max camera distance and decided to manually change it. The result was a doubling and even tripling of the maximum camera distance. When you have it set to maximum in the UI settings, the INI file shows that as a value of 25.

So to be clear, ini value of 25 = 100% camera distance according to the UI settings. That means changing the value to 50 inside the INI file would give you a 200% max camera distance. You can manually edit that to a much higher value and get the camera to pan way back. This is excellent for PVP since you can pretty much see the whole map. The majority of WoW players do something similar to this, and it makes for a much better gaming experience.

Make sure the game is NOT open, since the file may be in use or revert back once you close the game. This is for Windows 7 and Vista users only, since Windows XP puts it in a different place. To do this you need to find this folder:

C:\Users\YourProfileName\AppData\Local\SWTOR\swtor\settings

Obviously, YourProfileName is whatever your Windows profile name is, which is most likely your name or your pet name for your manhood. Whatever, I am not here to judge you on your Windows user name. ;)

The AppData folder is hidden since it's a system folder, so you can either manually type that folder address into your RUN command line or change your Windows Explorer settings to show hidden folders.

Then find the file named: LoginName_Account.ini and open it.

For example, if your login name is DarthBumpkin then the file will be DarthBumpkin_Account.ini.

After opening the file look for the line that says: Controls_CameraMaxDistance = 25.0

Change that 25.0 to something else like 50.0 or even 75.0. Make sure to keep it as decimal number (ie Don't take the .0 off at the end, because I'm sure the game is looking for it. I don't want to be responsible for game clients crashing.)

Then SAVE the file and CLOSE it. Then start up the game, log in, and enjoy a much more expansive SWTOR gaming experience! :D

- Segundus -

- Helm of Graush -

PS: If you reply with questions to this post, please don't put your LoginName if you post your folder link. That would just give hackers an easier chance in getting your account information and, again, I don't want to be responsible for screwing up your game.

Edited by Segundus

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it doesnt look like i have an appdata file, is there somewhere else it might be? running windows 7 64bit

Go to Organize => Folder and Search Options => View Tab => Show hidden files, folders, drives radio button.

Or just type \AppData in the address bar after your profile folder name.

Or if you're REALLY lazy, press WinKey+R (or start/run) and type "shell:local appdata" .

Edited by justcallmetarzan

Go to Organize => Folder and Search Options => View Tab => Show hidden files, folders, drives radio button.

Or if you're REALLY lazy, press WinKey+R (or start/run) and type "shell:appdata" .

thanks for the help!

Or if you're REALLY lazy, press WinKey+R (or start/run) and type "shell:local appdata" .

I never knew that last part with the shell:local! NICE! Learn something new everyday. :) Thanks!

Thanks for this info very useful... Just a note if that line is not in the file (which it was not for me) its okay to just type it on the bottom line and it works. I assume it is because I never changed a slider for it in game the line was never created because I used the default value likely set in the game code.

This an excellent find. Now if only they'll put in a setting we can change for zooming out if the camera clips with a wall... so sick of having to mousewheel because Lakitu is crawling back.

I might unsub just becouse of this, i press mouse motton to many fing times... sick of it..

this game is starting to wind me up. So many annoying little things. like 100s

[settings]

Movies_SeenMovies = 504

cabf_length = 4

cabf_1 = 52353354995

cabf_2 = -5548434740920451072

cabf_3 = 57561632737329932

VolumeMaster = 20.4891300201

cabf_4 = 3

Unfortunatly, that's all I see in my _account file.

Am I in the wrong spot, or?

Same not sure why we both have a file that does not contain the information provided for.

As others have pointed out the camera distance line is not always present in the file. But it appears to be completely safe to add it. In my case, I kept things in alphabetical order and did not add it at the bottom of the file. I added it in directly above the other lines that started with "C".

But with that said, I experimented with the setting. Frankly, I found 50.0 to be way to far. In buildings or under cover the camera angle will clash with walls and ceilings and will automatically zoom back in closer to you character when this happens.

Personally, I found 35.0 to be a good fit for me. It gives me a far enough view to avoid bumping the camera while still giving a good view of my immediate surroundings. But even at 35.0 you should expect some camera bumping if you are in low ceiling areas such as small buildings or caves.

Thanks to the OP for posting this.

I had heard from other beta testers that this was an option, but I hadn't come across any references in the forums on how to do it.

One of my bigget issues with this game was it zoomed in camera distance. In PVP it was always very difficult to see the opposing faction members coming for you.

Thanks to you, I now get a better chance at seeing them coming in.

Awesome finding you got here, props to you !

Anyway, my issue is that my camera takes 4 FREAKING SECONDS to scroll out back to max distance IN DEFAUT "100%" (ie 25 ini setting) didn't change it yet.

The keybind for "instant max zoom out position" is broken as well, only putting the cam at like 50 or 60% actually :eek::confused:

Am I the only one with these issues ?

Cause manually scrolling the cam out is boring :(

• 2 weeks later...