Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
Chat Bubbles: We need an option to enable them for say, yell and emote chat!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LordArtemis
06.06.2014 , 10:15 AM | #1621
I still think that chat bubbles, at least for group use would be useful to all players to some degree, with a toggle to shut it off of course.

DAOWAce
06.08.2014 , 03:28 PM | #1622
..Still no chat bubbles?

This is has long become a trend, I guess.
I don't mean to sound rude, but I can't help the way people interpret my words.

Heffos
06.09.2014 , 02:54 AM | #1623
Quote: Originally Posted by Splatte View Post
I think that chat bubbles got filed under 'things that RP'ers want' and since RP'ers are considered the minority population of MMORPG's, they are not a priority. Not having chat bubbles in a game that makes a big deal out of storyline and dialog options is a major mistake.
Perhaps infiltrating the non-RP player community and start requesting chat bubbles there is our only hope now? It shouldn't be needed really, but since EA bought them I think the above is sadly true.
I support CHAT BUBBLES; implement a dynamic chat system now!

Heffos - the gaming jawa in SWtOR.

anonnn
06.09.2014 , 12:02 PM | #1624
Quote: Originally Posted by LordArtemis View Post
I still think that chat bubbles, at least for group use would be useful to all players to some degree, with a toggle to shut it off of course.
For group use, and for Stronghold use, I think would be a really good place to introduce chat bubbles ASAP. The performance issues likely don't happen if it's not open-world chat bubbles where absolutely everyone's broadcasted chat (/yell, /say, /emote) shows up as bubbles.
Boring conversation anyway.
Think twice. . . Think again.
Nullius in verba. . .

Phyltr
06.09.2014 , 12:46 PM | #1625
Quote: Originally Posted by Splatte View Post
I think that chat bubbles got filed under 'things that RP'ers want' and since RP'ers are considered the minority population of MMORPG's, they are not a priority. Not having chat bubbles in a game that makes a big deal out of storyline and dialog options is a major mistake.
What are you talking about? GSH is all about RP...you got your own RP mini-xpac.

Smurf
06.27.2014 , 04:17 AM | #1626
I wish there was an option for chat bubble toggle on/off at the very least. I mean couldn't chat bubbles be reintroduced with a toggle on/off option as well as default setting off??

Also, how bad was the lag the chat bubbles created? I don't remember tbh

Glzmo
06.27.2014 , 08:18 AM | #1627
Quote: Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
I wish there was an option for chat bubble toggle on/off at the very least. I mean couldn't chat bubbles be reintroduced with a toggle on/off option as well as default setting off??

Also, how bad was the lag the chat bubbles created? I don't remember tbh
There was an on/off toggle during beta and Bioware already said they'd introduce them only with a toggle and that's what we're asking for here.

There wasn't really any "lag" in beta, the performance problems was that they ate up alot of video memory and caused low framerates if you didn't have a video card with large amounts of video memory (1GB or more).
I myself had video cards with 3GB of video memory on my main PC back in beta and never saw a noticeable performance drop with chat bubbles enabled even when lots of people were talking in /say around me.
I also tested on a laptop with only 512MB of video memory, where the performance naturally went down the toilet.

I think that with 2GBs of video memory or more being standard these days even an "unfixed" version of chat bubbles from beta would run reasonably well on most halfway modern machines. If they applied the same fix thex applied to nameplates before launch, that would allow them to run even better.
I'd love to see them put in at leas the chat bubbles feature they used in beta come Galactic Strongholds Expansion time, perhaps with the application of the fix they had for nameplates, and then improve on it later. It'd be much better than having to remain completely without chat bubbles much longer.
Besides, it's a toggle option anyway, so you could toggle it on/off like shadows or Anti-Aliasing for performance reasons if needed.

anonnn
06.27.2014 , 11:46 AM | #1628
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
I think that with 2GBs of video memory or more being standard these days even an "unfixed" version of chat bubbles from beta would run reasonably well on most halfway modern machines. If they applied the same fix thex applied to nameplates before launch, that would allow them to run even better.
Is there really much difference between Nameplates/Damage-Flytext and Chat Bubbles?? There's only 1 obvious difference, that Chat Bubbles have a border and a background color. Surely they could use a combination of the techniques of Nameplates and Damage-Flytext!
Boring conversation anyway.
Think twice. . . Think again.
Nullius in verba. . .

psandak
06.27.2014 , 11:53 AM | #1629
Quote: Originally Posted by anonnn View Post
Is there really much difference between Nameplates/Damage-Flytext and Chat Bubbles?? There's only 1 obvious difference, that Chat Bubbles have a border and a background color. Surely they could use a combination of the techniques of Nameplates and Damage-Flytext!
But nameplates are also known to cause lag too (workaround to low FPS is to turn off nameplates). So that leaves flytext, which is most commonly a number and at most a name and a number (in the case of someone else healing you). /sarcasm on: If chat bubbles could be limited to a handful of characters and would disappear quickly...it could work.
Probability 101
The Harbinger, Ortzid Legacy
Dalkery - Sawbones, Car'beerd - Jedi Guardian,
Blairnah - Jedi Sage, Ulunnes - Commando