An in-depth look at: Lightsaber Forms- Shii-Cho

Aurbere

"Greeting Padawans, I am Cin Drallig, your instructor in Lightsaber discipline."

Due to a lack of knowledge on my part on Jedi and Sith training techniques, I have postponed part 3 of our look at the Jedi and Sith of the Prequel trilogy. Instead, a group of you have provided the topic of Lightsaber forms. BrandonSM provided the great idea of having one form discussed per thread, so this will be a multi-part series. The information that will be provided here comes from a recording by Lightsaber master Cin Drallig, where he discusses the seven Lightsaber forms, as well as information that I have learned over time. So this will undoubtedly be one of the most canonically correct threads yet.

The first form is the Shii-Cho form. The following comes from the Great Holocron.

Form I, also called Shii-Cho, requires little explanation, as every Jedi youngling learns the basics of attack, parry, body target zones and the practice drills called velocities. Form I was created by the ancient Jedi during the transition from metal swords to energy beam Lightsabers, and the principles of blade combat remain essentially the same. Because the ancient Jedi did not have Lightsaber wielding enemies, Form I does not address the lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat.

So what do you know about Shii-Cho? We know that it is the most basic form, taught to Jedi younglings. It focuses on basic combat strikes. Shii-Cho focuses on providing a strong offense, but without giving up on defense. The form is also proficient in fighting multiple opponents or opponents wielding multiple weapons. As shown when Master Kit Fisto defeated General Grievous in battle.

But this form also has weaknesses. A practitioner of the second form of Makashi, or Form IV Djem So, will be able to defeat wielders of Shii-Cho with relative ease. The heavy strikes from Djem So are capable of breaking through the defenses of Shii-Cho. Makashi users will find the Shii-Cho wielders to be easy opponents as Makashi is far more proficient in Lightsaber combat. As shown when the Dark Jedi Asajj Ventress defeated Master Kit Fisto in combat. Shii-Cho has always been focused on defeating opponents with blaster weapons.

Notable Masters of Form I: Kit Fisto

I hope you all found this thread to be informative. Next is Makashi so look forward to that.

And, as always, if you have suggestions for future topics, by all means post them.

Edited by Aurbere

Not to worry, Niman will be covered in the sixth thread for this series. It is one of the most difficult forms to master.

But the form was made for people like diplomats to be able to be for the most part skilled in lightsaber combat without much practice. By the way, good thread.

Edited by ToEasy

Interesting...

considering it could be considered one of the more "Balanced" lightsaber forms, one has to wonder why only kit fisto was a notable user of it.

All Jedi learn the form of Shii-Cho and some have mastered it, such as Yoda and Cin Drallig. But those two have mastered other forms as well. Kit Fisto solely mastered Shii-Cho.

But the form was made for people like diplomats to be able to be for the most part skilled in lightsaber combat without much practice. By the way, good thread.

The Niman form is called the Diplomat's form as it is a blend of the other forms, but also allows a Jedi to keep a clear head during negotiations or critical situations. Jedi are urged to have a basic understanding of the Niman form, but it requires (estimated by Cin Drallig) ten years to master. I won't say it anymore so I don't spoil the Niman thread.

And thank you! :)

Problem i have is that there are 7 forms when in fact they should redo the light saber forms and move them to 10.

But nice on On Shi-Cho.

It should be:

1: Shi-Cho

2. Makashi

3. Soresu

4. Ataru

5. Shien

6. Djem-so

7. Nimian

8. Jer'kai

9. Juyo

10. Vapaad

Edited by TalonVII

Problem i have is that there are 7 forms when in fact they should redo the light saber forms and move them to 10.

But nice on On Shi-Cho.

It should be:

1: Shi-Cho

2. Makashi

3. Soresu

4. Ataru

5. Shien

6. Djem-so

7. Nimian

8. Jer'kai

9. Juyo

10. Vapaad

There are actually eight forms that the Jedi use:

1. Shii-Cho

2. Makashi

3. Soresu

4. Ataru

5. Djem So or Shien variants

6. Niman

7. Juyo

8. Vaapad

Vaapad and Juyo are rare forms to be used by Jedi. There are certain forms that Jedi do not use that because they are very agressive and heavily rely on emotions.

And thank you! :D

Actually Juyo and Vapaad are both considered form VII.

I don't think so... I'll have to do some more research, but Vaapad was developed by Mace Windu as a completely seperate form. It may bear similarities to Juyo, but Vaapad itself is different from Vaapad.

Have to check on that though.

EDIT: Okay did some research. Vaapad and Juyo are both variants of Form VII. Juyo is the base of Form VII and Mace Windu expanded upon Juyo and created Vaapad. He used Juyo as a base and modified it to create Vaapad. So we were both right from a certain point of view.

Edited by Aurbere

There are actually eight forms that the Jedi use:

1. Shii-Cho

2. Makashi

3. Soresu

4. Ataru

5. Djem So or Shien variants

6. Niman

7. Juyo

8. Vaapad

Vaapad and Juyo are rare forms to be used by Jedi. There are certain forms that Jedi do not use that because they are very agressive and heavily rely on emotions.

And thank you! :D

Juyo and Vapaad are for some reason counted the same,

That's because Vapaad is an adaptation of Juyo. Both are very aggressive and bring the user close to the darkside, but Vapaad's strength is that it uses the opponent's aggression/ closes to the dark side against them.

They are considered the same. But, in my opinion, Vaapad is a different form. Vaapad is based off of the principles of Juyo, but with adaptations made by Mace Windu and, to a lesser degree Sora Bulq.

EDIT: So I will be making a seperate thread discussing Vaapad.

Edited by Aurbere