Hate to bring this up again... BUT..

KylanJin

Subscriber appreciation..

No, I'm not going to whine about it, that's not my style but i would like to hear what the community thinks of my view point on it. ;)

First off, this is how i "saw" it.

Correct me if I'm wrong

We were told we would get some sort of subscriber appreciation of sorts at the beginning of July, I believe.

The beginning of July came and people started asking questions "What happened there?"

If memory serves, Bioware then said that they were working on "something", to be honest it seemed more to me like they either forgot about the fact they were going to do it or just decided to leave it for one reason or another, either way.. it's kinda made me laugh a few times thinking about being forgotten about as a form of appreciation.

Next thing, the forums start flooding with delicious examples of subscriber appreciation ideas, some were good, some were over expecting but honestly to get CC's, no it's not a slap in the face but, Bioware, come on, you see the threads in the Forum and the suggestions for Sub appreciation.. but any way i understand, CC's are actually ok for me and I'd like to say thanks for those right now..

BUT

Then you came out and said you were working on "something" else, and that you'd ran in to technical difficulties and it would be released at the start of August.... RIGHT?!

So whats happened there now?

This post is not intended to have a dig at the original appreciation gift, only to highlight in the way that Bioware communicates with subs in general and in the way it would "offer" to show appreciation and either fail to show any or not meet expectations, be them mine or others.

If you want to keep your customers happy here is one very simple rule

Under Promise and Over Deliver.

If you tell subs there will be an appreciation gift coming at the end of the month, then you best deliver it at the end of the month, CC's or no. You need to follow through in some way or another, even if it means reaching out to say there is a delay..

There was talk about another gift.. do i want the gift myself.. sure why not.. i'll take it if its on offer -

However, I dont particularly mind myself..

The point of the thread is to highlight how Bioware are communicating with the sub community on this issue as well as others, past, present and future.. --> absolutely.

Anyway, I'm sorry to bring up this sorry episode once more but I hope Eric and yall in the community take a little time to reflect on this. And remember that only by communicating can we make the customer experience/game more satisfying and more successful.

Just one last point, the new unlocks for F2P, the dumbing down of restrictions for them, again, it shows a mixed message of Sub Appreciation, it's almost like you're telling your sub customers "we don't care about you"

So my final thought...

I wonder if the game would be better off without any subs at all..? More monetary gain in that model??

I think that's the message i was ultimately left with, as the "sub appreciation" ;)

Edited by KylanJin

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite frankly if you don't feel like you're getting your money's worth from the sub, you should just unsub.

Plenty of people have, you wouldn't be the first. I don't need BioWare to throw bones at me to make my $15 a month feel more worthwhile. It already obviously does, or I wouldn't be paying it.

No. It was in July. It was originally stated to have two subscriber appreciation tings. One at beginning of July, then again at end of July. The CC at beginning of July got everyone* pissed off on the forums, and when the end of July rolled around, they said they had something bigger planned, but it didn't work out or couldn't be done because of technical issues.

Probably, they scrapped it because they realized that no matter what they did, they couldn't please everyone, so why try. This is what the complaints in early July brought about.

*vocal minority

Edited by GatorAndy

Quite frankly if you don't feel like you're getting your money's worth from the sub, you should just unsub.

Plenty of people have, you wouldn't be the first. I don't need BioWare to throw bones at me to make my $15 a month feel more worthwhile. It already obviously does, or I wouldn't be paying it.

Also, this^^

I understand that point of view, but I'm trying to highlight the communication issue to BW here and go some way to making it better.

Unsubbing does not fix the issue.. Communicating does.

Nowhere in my post do i say i feel im not getting value for money or dissatisfied with my purchase in a physical sense, I am only highlighting the visible issue with Sub Messages and comms and seeking to highlight that.

Edited by KylanJin

Way to miss the point entirely. Good job!

No. It was in July. It was originally stated to have two subscriber appreciation tings. One at beginning of July, then again at end of July. The CC at beginning of July got everyone* pissed off on the forums, and when the end of July rolled around, they said they had something bigger planned, but it didn't work out or couldn't be done because of technical issues.

Probably, they scrapped it because they realized that no matter what they did, they couldn't please everyone, so why try. This is what the complaints in early July brought about.

*vocal minority

Thank you - I updated the OP ;)

When they do something for the Subs and people turn around and toss it back in their face AND kick their puppies. I too would say screw it, and not do anything. I thought the extra CC was a nice touch a "thank you" so to say for keeping the lights on. Was I expecting ANYTHING, not really, but what we got was probably better than more fireworks or a ball toss.

There is always a sense of "entitlement" (yes i used that word again, and know what it means). For people who pay to expect more than what others get simply because. When game was sub only everyone was equal everyone only demanded content and maybe some for the CE editions. Then when player base dropped off and went f2p the subs started to demand MORE for their sub simply because they subbed. Even though for them the game never changed and should be content playing as they were (outside the demand for new content an the CE). Fast forward and suddenly subs stuff doesn't stink, and what we DO get is NEVER good enough, it TAKES too LONG , is the wrong color, or is only available from the CM.

Whenever we say stop paying and unsub, people throw THAT back in our faces saying that's not the point. THEY PROMISED, or I pay good money and deserve special treatment. To that I say no you don't you should expect the SAME treatment you got from day one, and if they decide to give you a nice gift now and then, say thank you enjoy it and move on.

When they do something for the Subs and people turn around and toss it back in their face AND kick their puppies. I too would say screw it, and not do anything.

Lemme guess...you don't have a job that deals with customers right? (retail/fast food doesn't count)

Isn't the subscribers only tauntaun just that?

That was something special for subscribers, true.

Maybe this was even the technical issue they couldn't get right in July. Either the animal mounts, or the vendor that only sold to subscribers.

Subscriber appreciation. No, I'm not going to whine about it

You just did.

The beginning of July came and people started asking questions "What happened there?"

If memory serves, Bioware then said that they were working on "something", to be honest it seemed more to me like they either forgot about the fact they were going to do it or just decided to leave it for one reason or another, either way.. it's kinda made me laugh a few times thinking about being forgotten about as a form of appreciation.

Next thing, the forums start flooding with delicious examples of subscriber appreciation ideas, some were good, some were over expecting but honestly to get CC's, no it's not a slap in the face but, Bioware, come on, you see the threads in the Forum and the suggestions for Sub appreciation.. but any way i understand, CC's are actually ok for me and I'd like to say thanks for those right now.

OK, you tell us what award would have pleased everyone. A title? Bleh. A pet? Meh. A speeder? Ack. A toy? Not for me, unless it were something else like the F2P launch Jawa party balloon. A list of 500,000 things to choose from?

Then you came out and said you were working on "something" else, and that you'd ran in to technical difficulties and it would be released at the start of August.... RIGHT?!

So whats happened there now?

Eric Musco did post and say that was put off for whatever reason. Disappointing? Mildly, I suppose.

/Agree.

Personally.. as a subscriber.. I feel appreciated for subscribing every month when my tally of CCs is topped up with 625 coins. A valuable currency that I can spend on what I WANT.. not what Billy thinks I should have. Having collected them for a long time now.. with the release of Collections.. I feel really really appreciated in that I can clone the best cosmetic gear across my account and not have to pay a single dollar above my subscription.

IMO.....generally.. the people who don't feel appreciated are also the people that are still hurt about the game moving off of a pure subscription business model. There is a common weave to the fabric of discontent here.

Edited by Andryah

Reading the replies here..

It seems like most of you guys either don't understand the purpose of the thread or you choose not to.. just being honest.

Unsubbing to prove a point is actually a good way of telling a business that you're not happy with their methods/quality of product or service, sure.

However, if we think about how that data is analyzed by a company, it is statistical analysis that likely leaves Bioware with little to no indication for the reason for loss in revenue, sure they can make assumptions....

i.e unsubbing is not the best way to improve a product or service in truth and frequently this form of analysis offers only trends..

When we take a look at the forums and we see people talking, communicating, this is a form of quality data, when it is analyzed it is what we would call Qualitative data, that is opinions and such.

My point is that, communication is equally as justifiable a reason to show your discontent as is to unsub, except that with an unsub you leave no reason, no reason for Bioware to understand why and no benefit in any way shape or form to the community you leave behind.

To address the issues with guys in the thread saying "what would you have wanted in a gift?" etc..

I didn't want a gift, this is not the point of the thread, the issue lies in communication and Biowares ability to maintain a happy community through coherent and clear messaging, on this occasion, it is obvious in this they fail.

Now, back the idea of managing expectations and gifts.. Tauntaun and such for subs.. Cool idea actually, we don't need to know it's coming, just bring it on and subs will smile at their screens. It's a small gesture but occasionally that's all it takes right?

I don't believe subs need to know that BW are going to show them appreciation in advance at all - in order to feel appreciated, surely the best gifts come without expectation and with surprise!?

But yes, back to my OP, I would like to see BW come here and address this issue of comms, just saying..

I'm sure Bioware have figured this out already now.. and it's something they are/will be working diligently to avoid in future - I sure hope so ;)

Because after all - I'd much rather be in a community with happy/happier subs than not.

Edited by KylanJin

Most companies have an exit survey you fill out when you cancel to express your dissatisfaction so they can track metrics on that and (theoretically) make improvements.

I don't know if SWTOR has this implemented, it was a long time ago that I quit and haven't recently. But that has to be more effective than #41346775134 forum whine.

Reading the replies here..

It seems like most of you guys either don't understand the purpose of the thread or you choose not to.. just being honest.

Unsubbing to prove a point is actually a good way of telling a business that you're not happy with their methods/quality of product or service, sure.

However, if we think about how that data is analyzed by a company, it is statistical analysis that likely leaves Bioware with little to no indication for the reason for loss in revenue, sure they can make assumptions....

i.e unsubbing is not the best way to improve a product or service in truth and frequently this form of analysis offers only trends..

When we take a look at the forums and we see people talking, communicating, this is a form of quality data, when it is analyzed it is what we would call Qualitative data, that is opinions and such.

My point is that, communication is equally as justifiable a reason to show your discontent as is to unsub, except that with an unsub you leave no reason, no reason for Bioware to understand why and no benefit in any way shape or form to the community you leave behind.

To address the issues with guys in the thread saying "what would you have wanted in a gift?" etc..

I didn't want a gift, this is not the point of the thread, the issue lies in communication and Biowares ability to maintain a happy community through coherent and clear messaging, on this occasion, it is obvious in this they fail.

Now, back the idea of managing expectations and gifts.. Tauntaun and such for subs.. Cool idea actually, we don't need to know it's coming, just bring it on and subs will smile at their screens. It's a small gesture but occasionally that's all it takes right?

I don't need to know that BW are going to show me appreciation in order to feel appreciated, surely the best gifts come without expectation and with surprise!

I'm sure Bioware have figured this out already now.. I hope so ;)

That's a big part of why I'm still subbed, even though my gameplay time is minimal. If I start to feel sick of posting AND playing, I'll pull my payment info again.

the point of the thread, the issue lies in communication and Biowares ability to maintain a happy community through coherent and clear messaging, on this occasion, it is obvious in this they fail.

A bit idealistic on your part IMO.

but I get it.. you are complaining about bad communcations by Bioware being why people don't feel appreciated with appreciation gifts. Note: this has been done already. :)

It's gaming community. No matter how good the communications from the devs is... it makes very little real difference really. I'm serious here. The difference in forum behavior is driven by the nature of the players, not the communications quality of Bioware. The forums over the last 6 months is proof of this. The forum readership always has a minority of members who can and will conflate mouse farts into thermonuclear events. It's generally a revolving door of such members as many are here for a few months to vent on their way out the door... but yeah.. we have a few professional dis-affected as well that stay and complain no matter what.

And ironically enough.. the complaint crowd loves to use "communications" as the cure for all their ills... when we all know that is not true at all.

Are you new to MMO gaming forums or something? :)

Edited by Andryah

Entitlement at its worst.

If you feel like the product doesn't meet your demand then be a better consumer and decide how to spend your money.

You are using a typical framing bias by creating a problem from your reference point when in reality a problem doesn't really exist. It is your perception of value and one that can easily be solved by being a better consumer...

OR by accepting the reality that you ARE happing with the product but you just want something else for your money...which would be classic entitlement.

Edited by Arkerus

A bit idealistic on your part IMO.

but I get it.. you are complaining about bad communcations by Bioware being why people don't feel appreciated with appreciation gifts. Note: this has been done already. :)

It's gaming community. No matter how good the communications from the devs is... it makes very little real difference really. I'm serious here. The difference in forum behavior is driven by the nature of the players, not the communications quality of Bioware. The forums over the last 6 months is proof of this. The forum readership always has a minority of members who can and will conflate mouse farts into thermonuclear events. It's generally a revolving door of such members as many are here for a few months to vent on their way out the door... but yeah.. we have a few professional dis-affected as well that stay and complain no matter what.

And ironically enough.. the complaint crowd loves to use "communications" as the cure for all their ills... when we all know that is not true at all.

Are you new to MMO gaming forums or something? :)

The sad part is communication isn't really want they want. Communication is the buzzword the most frequent complainer throw around to make mask their true intentions.

What they want is someone to just tell them what they want to hear...which isn't going to happen in most cases.

Edited by Arkerus

Entitlement at its worst.

If you feel like the product doesn't meet your demand then be a better consumer and decide how to spend your money.

You are using a typical framing bias by creating a problem from your reference point when in reality a problem doesn't really exist. It is your perception of value and one that can easily be solved by being a better consumer...

OR by accepting the reality that you ARE happing with the product but you just want something else for your money...which would be classic entitlement.

What a baseless response to the post.

Funny that you suggest I should get a career working for a game pub or similar, i actually used to work for one, that created a SW game no less ;) you might even have played it on the 360/ps3/PSP or DS... ;)

So i enjoy debunking that straight off the bat.

Secondly my issue is with the community and the comms BW would share with it.

My issue is not with my sub and my post content seems grounded there is no bias at all and to deny a problem exists when so many people have stated their dissatisfaction with this particular issue shows a real ignorance.

What a baseless response to the post.

Funny that you suggest I should get a career working for a game pub or similar, i actually used to work for one, that created a SW game no less ;) you might even have played it on the 360/ps3/PSP or DS... ;)

So i enjoy debunking that straight off the bat.

Secondly my issue is with the community and the comms BW would share with it.

My issue is not with my sub and my post content seems grounded there is no bias at all and to deny a problem exists when so many people have stated their dissatisfaction with this particular issue shows a real ignorance.

I never said you WEREN'T one already. If you want to go make a better game, go make one. This isn't a 911 conspiracy. You didn't "debunk" anything. /facepalm

Every single MMO forum on the planet says they want more communcation.

I read your post. Its a thnly veiled disguise about them not paying rnough attention to you.

And if you want more communication...good luck. What you really want is someone to tell you what you want to hear.

You aren't a designer or developer on this game. You are a paying customer. Big difference.

Edited by Arkerus

I'm almost positive the second thing was intended to be the 50% off of first in-game purchases of CC; though as it was stated they ran into technical issues. As long as we're still getting that deal at some point I don't see what the fuss is about. It'd been nice had they been able to work it out for the end of July, but I don't see what the problem is otherwise. I guess you could argue lack of communication, and there's already several threads doing just that, so no real need for another.

The sad part is communication isn't really want they want. Communication is the buzzword the most frequent complainer throw around to make mask their true intentions.

What they want is someone to just tell them what they want to hear...which isn't going to happen in most cases.

I agree with this but it makes no ends, the customer should be appeased where possible.

Sometimes a business fails to do this and other times it succeeds.

On this occasion Bioware failed surely with a lack of comms, perhaps a misleading comms, perhaps no comms at all whichever way you look at it, there was alot of discontent and that is an indicator that they didn't meet expectations.

Once again, VOICED customer expectations are good, they ensure that the product/business provides what they promise and when they promise.

To void that is a terrible mistake.