Any tricks to RE'ing?

Abishua

I was wondering if anyone has found any tricks to RE'ing to purple. I have been standing in the same place in Voss logging in throughout the day making the same blue for about a week now with no luck in getting the purple.

I was wondering if I should make a bunch and RE them all at the same time instead of one at a time. Maybe the RNG resets or something if you wait too long between RE's?

I have been working on this since level 43 and am now 46 and I don't want to level anymore before I can use it because it is level 45.

Any input would be great.

I was wondering if anyone has found any tricks to RE'ing to purple. I have been standing in the same place in Voss logging in throughout the day making the same blue for about a week now with no luck in getting the purple.

I was wondering if I should make a bunch and RE them all at the same time instead of one at a time. Maybe the RNG resets or something if you wait too long between RE's?

I have been working on this since level 43 and am now 46 and I don't want to level anymore before I can use it because it is level 45.

best source

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=45866

There's 3 of every color for almost all items.

Crystals I know, have boosts for end, crit, and power, so out of green, blue, and purples that's the 9 possibles.

Same for offhands, like for example 3 blues can have identical stats of the same product but one can boost crit, or alacrity or straight up more defense. To open those 3 blue possibilities, you have to keep RE'ing Greens of that item.

Sometimes you are just unlucky, but every dog has his day. I just logged into the forums to see about the "no missions defined" error, seeing if RE'ng was bugged, because I've had no luck at all today even getting green > blue. When I tabbed back to game, I RE'd the same blue I've been doing for a few days, and wouldn't you know it....there's my purple.

So, the RE system is kinda crappy, but this purple is really nice. It kinda sucks that it takes so many resources to get your purple sometimes, but I guess it makes finally getting it that much more rewarding. I don't even want to think about how many credits I spent trying to make it though.

Maybe Voss isn't lucky? Or maybe it's just that spot in Voss? Anyway, go level. Level 49 blue gear will be similar enough to level 45 purple gear.

By the way, if you crit on the blues, don't RE them. With an augment slot and a good augment they can end up with better stats than a purple, minus the bonus armor, ofc.

It's mostly luck, really.

What I usually do (but it might be too late for you) is to keep my crafting at a level where I can make items 3-5 levels higher than me. This way I can gather materials and craft while I level, and usually by the time I reach the level, I can already craft the purple.

Here's what I do with my 50 armormech.

I spend my playing time sending my crew out to gather materials.

Before I log out, I queue up as much crafting as I can, but right now not more than 5 of anything.

So when I log in the next day, I might have 5 chest pieces, 5 leg armors, 5 gloves, and 5 boots waiting for me. On slower days it might only be 4 or 5 of a single thing.

I RE all of those, see if I hit on any of them, and then begin the gathering process again.

The ciridium is the problem for me. I only get so many opportunities to run underworld metals missions, and they take around 50 minutes, even with affection and an efficiency bonus.

Each schematic takes at least two of them, so to make 5 things is going to consume at least 10, and possibly 20, pieces.

I might break down and go to the GTN to get some ciridium at some point, but it's not a priority.

I have REd hundreds of blue armor pieces and have only hit a single time. I have a few more purple schematics (and even more 'you already know this schematic'), but they are not the schematics that I want.

If you are REing for mods or medpacs or the sort, it should be easier. There you are only hoping for a single hit. If you are REing for armor or weapons, it is a much more time and material consuming process.

Edited by Mithros

I usually RE around 20 armor at once. Not because I think it helps my chances with one schem but because when I hit a purple schem I will usually hit another one quickly. Seems like the RNG will hit a run and you want to have other pieces to RE for the run.

the rng in these mmo's can be very streaky. with that when you do several at once it is either very good or can be very bad. when i got one hit i usually got others with it. i never do one at a time though.

also unless your purple armor piece says superior you can even re that and get a superior one with one more stat increase on it too. had that happen to me on a piece i replaced and re for the mats. this however can get expensive fast. usually these pieces are made from a boughten blue schematic and not a re blue.

in general i try to re up greens with 3 good stats instead of a blue with 3 this way i get a extra stat without having to get the extra one doing a re purple.

the trick with reing isnt getting the re but rather getting a re with the bonus stat(s) you want. mods and some other crafted items dont have to worry about this.

Sometimes you are just unlucky, but every dog has his day. I just logged into the forums to see about the "no missions defined" error, seeing if RE'ng was bugged, because I've had no luck at all today even getting green > blue. When I tabbed back to game, I RE'd the same blue I've been doing for a few days, and wouldn't you know it....there's my purple.

So, the RE system is kinda crappy, but this purple is really nice. It kinda sucks that it takes so many resources to get your purple sometimes, but I guess it makes finally getting it that much more rewarding. I don't even want to think about how many credits I spent trying to make it though.

Maybe you get a +2 to Reverse Engineering Criticals when you're logged into the forum!!!

I usually RE around 20 armor at once. Not because I think it helps my chances with one schem but because when I hit a purple schem I will usually hit another one quickly. Seems like the RNG will hit a run and you want to have other pieces to RE for the run.

Aha! So I did notice the same thing too, and I'm not just crazy.

Here's one trick. Harvest your materials by day, and queue up sets of five blues at night. Five blue items will craft while you sleep, reducing your crew's downtime considerably.

Or make multiple characters and have an army of crafter so you can take care of all your needs. This can be a major pain, but I have fun leveling the differnt characters with the different specializations.

Edited by LPwookie

Here's one trick. Harvest your materials by day, and queue up sets of five blues at night. Five blue items will craft while you sleep, reducing your crew's downtime considerably.

Or make multiple characters and have an army of crafter so you can take care of all your needs. This can be a major pain, but I have fun leveling the differnt characters with the different specializations. Once you get to level 25 you have 3 characters and they can do alot of crafting.