How is "Alacrity" useful?

Wuxifinger

Wouldn't a lot of alacrity just make you overheat, run out of force, etc. faster? Leaving you with default/wimpy attack?

If I could increase my force pool or my ammo pool, then alacrity would make sense. However, these systems are basically fixed in SWTOR.

What I am hoping, is that alacrity increases venting, ammo replenishment, force recharging, etc., and I just don't know it.

Is this the case?

Edited by Wuxifinger

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wouldn't a lot of alacrity just make you overheat, run out of force, etc. faster? Leaving you with default/wimpy attack?

If I could increase my force pool or my ammo pool, then alacrity would make sense. However, these systems are basically fixed in SWTOR.

What I am hoping, is that alacrity increases venting, ammo replenishment, force recharging, etc., and I just don't know it.

Is this the case?

Yes, you do have to balance it with your resources. That has always been part of the challenge I enjoy as a healer though.

It ONLY reduces the time it takes to cast or channel.

So basically if your class isn't constantly casting or channeling it's not a good stat. Only a Sage/Sorc can benefit a lot from it, and to a lesser extent a mercenary with power shot (and the commando equivalent) and Unload, but im pretty sure crit/surge and even power are better.

Yeah, it's not good.

Alacrity Buffs needed: GCD reduction, Resource replenishment rate increase.

Edited by Aurinax

Not everyone is in the same boat.

As a healer, reduced cast time is massive. Sure you can't get off any more heals vs your force regen over time, but you can stop people dying, need to predict a little less etc.

Even for DPS, take a sorc, they rarely run our of force as the main attach (if you spec it) is force lighting which also replenishes force. Alacrity speeds up the 3 second channel, meaning more DPS.

So it's very useful for many, with an increased regen component it would either be OP or need nerfing per point down to stupidly low levels.

As a healer, reduced cast time is massive. Sure you can't get off any more heals vs your force regen over time, but you can stop people dying, need to predict a little less etc.

Its still useless for healers because you have instant cast spells which do no benefit from it but benefit a lot of surge and crit so going surge crit and power would improve your instants making your reactive healing better than reducing your heavy heal cast time and not affecting your instant casts.

It ONLY reduces the time it takes to cast or channel.

So basically if your class isn't constantly casting or channeling it's not a good stat. Only a Sage/Sorc can benefit a lot from it, and to a lesser extent a mercenary with power shot (and the commando equivalent) and Unload, but im pretty sure crit/surge and even power are better.

Yeah, it's not good.

Alacrity Buffs needed: GCD reduction, Resource replenishment rate increase.

The lead combat designer basically expressed that they will NEVER lower the GCD since the animations would interfere with how casting works.

Alacrity is useless atm.

Thanks... I overheat constantly as a BH. I even rotate Rapid Shots into my attacks to try and keep my venting maxed (5 arrows or whatever).

In many games, you can increase your resouces pool, so alacrity could be very useful. I am thinking that, for Merc DPS it is probably pretty close to useless... except maybe for burst damage in PVP.

The lead combat designer basically expressed that they will NEVER lower the GCD since the animations would interfere with how casting works.

Alacrity is useless atm.

Yep Alacrity is useless atm as you have to wait for animations either way.

Alacrity is useless atm.

yet another garbage limitation that, frankly, shouldn't be a limitation.

No doubt it has problems right now, but this really is the sort of thing that will be in flux until the day this game closes the doors.

This is a tuning stat; and tuning stats get tuned.

For all eternity.

This game is all about managing your resources, especially on big fights later on.

I am a healing merc level 50, I try and get as much alacrity as I can, but I rarely find myself overheating, only if dps players do not understand how to play and joust boss abilities, or rip agro. Sometimes I'll just elt them die.

I find being able to cast faster helps me for that ohh-crap time when the tank gets below 50%.

Alot of healers I am guessing are overhealing as I keep hearing people talking about overheating prematurely.

If mobs are not hitting your tank for more then 50% a shot there is no reason to be spamming your heals, that is what your filler healing blasts are for(Merc), and they help reduce your heat?

If BHs as dps are overheating they need to stop dropping the whole gambit of their abilities and learn to fill in with their primary mini attack(kinda like an auto-attack) between cast abilities.

This goes for most classes, but i am only proficient enough to comment on Merc atm, though I am beginning to level a marauder/sniper and PT to learn their abilities better.