Codex vs. Achievement System

mleischer

Since it's been a over 9 months and I still cannot discover the Sith Academy or become an Imperial Scholar, what are the plans, if any for scrapping the Codex system and implementing a traditional achievement system ? I spent a few years longer on another game then I otherwise would have, due to trying to be a completionist, and I think there are may other players like this. With only a handful of OPS and Flashpoints and other endgame, I think this would do a lot to keep people playing. If it was up to me, I'd have character level, account level, and guild level achievements. Wishful thinking ?

• Dev Post
We are definitely aware of issues with some Codex entries, and fixing them up is something we're working on. If you notice a Codex entry that you're having an issue with, please do make sure you report it via the in-game Customer Service portal (in case there are some individual instances we aren't aware of yet)! We don't have plans to scrap the Codex system, but we will be working to improve it.

We are definitely aware of issues with some Codex entries, and fixing them up is something we're working on. If you notice a Codex entry that you're having an issue with, please do make sure you report it via the in-game Customer Service portal (in case there are some individual instances we aren't aware of yet)! We don't have plans to scrap the Codex system, but we will be working to improve it.

Speaking of the codex, please make sure to have the UI designers add a keyboard shortcut to open it directly.

Maybe making us having to open the quest log then the codex isn't that much of a big deal but it's sending the message that the codex isn't that important as does not deserves its own hot key.

What would you have in the acheivment system as titles? 1st person to zerg through the content, fastest use of the spacebar during cut scenes, most mobs avoiding while grinding flashpoints?:D

"Survivor of the Rakghoul Plague"

"Hero of (insert planet name)"

"Dethroning Malgus"

Just a few ideas.

*Every* planet I've tried to complete in the Codex has been bugged in one way or another for my 50 Consular (who has completed all the class quests).

Person Of Note: Satelle Shah not working being probably the most glaring. You deal with her directly through every stage of the story, yet it never unlocks.

http://www.swtor-spy.com has a list of all the Codex entries and how to get them (and if they're bugged). Please devs, start with the starting worlds for everyone and fix them, one entry at a time.

I doubt they are working on it. The game is going F2P. Buggy Codex isn't going to get people to spend more money on this game. New content that they can add to their market is.

They just said they were?! What's wrong with you?

The Codex is basically like the Tome of Knowledge from WarHammer.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with the Codex is it just doesn't feel very rewarding. When you open the Codex, it looks more like the table of contents in an online textbook than a list of accomplishments. Unless the purpose is to give it more the feel of a field guide than the feel of a list of achievements, there's a problem

Finding a Codex entry is also about as flashy as turning in a quest. A seemingly generic noise plays, an uneventful button appears, and a wall of text pops up if you click on it.

The final issue with the Codex is that there's nothing unique - all Codex entries appear to be acquired either by normal questing and exploration, finding hidden objects, or defeating world bosses. Besides finding Datacrons and Lore Objects, there's nothing special (if you even consider finding hidden objects "special").

As I mentioned previously, if the purpose of the Codex is to be more of a field guide than an achievement list, that's fine - it's certainly set up that was as of now. But if that is the purpose, it should be advertised as such. It's incredibly underwhelming as an achievement list, but rather impressive as a field guide. The initial perception is everything.

• 1 month later...