What's the point in going Crafting crew skills? What are the benefits of Armormech?

ElSkii

I'm reading for credits that slicing, treasure hunting, etc, gathering skills will help make you a lot of credits.

And since I level too fast, I'll never use the armor I make.

So what exactly is the reason to go Armormech? Or any crafting skill at that? I get biochem since those are buffs which I assume is like WoW and are wanted for raids.

I know there must be something but as I'm a newbie I have no clue. Didn't get much help on Discord or Reddit. I was simply told end game Armormech stuff sells for a high amount but no further explanation.

If you are a DPS you might miss the reasons for Armormech. It mainly sells gear for tanks.

However, any crafting skill is profitable and any can ruin you if played badly. So my advise, get 6 toons with every crafting skill and rotate them for best profit. You never know what is coming next, so best to be ready.

I'm reading for credits that slicing, treasure hunting, etc, gathering skills will help make you a lot of credits.

So what exactly is the reason to go Armormech? Or any crafting skill at that? I get biochem since those are buffs which I assume is like WoW and are wanted for raids.

I know there must be something but as I'm a newbie I have no clue. Didn't get much help on Discord or Reddit. I was simply told end game Armormech stuff sells for a high amount but no further explanation.

I have 1 toon for all crafts with 2 slicers and 2 cybertechs. Cybertechs make mods/enhancements/earpieces which make quite a lot of money. Armormech is for tech characters aka agent/smuggler trooper/hunter vs synthweaver for force users. Since gear is good for 6 levels now it's not that hard to keep up and will make leveling easier but then end game stuff is now in the GC crates for 230 and higher. Also, you can't do much of the high end crafted without the purple slicing item so slicers are a must. Plus they make good money slicing chests alone.

Edited by Gwaneth
additional info

There's the cosmetic thing if nothing else.

People want a certain look, and armormechs craft armors that have the appearance of trooper/BH and smuggler/agent gear.

Beyond that there are the armoring mods for tanks and the usual stronghold/conquest stuff.

My trooper is an armormech, and while I do not do a whole lot of mass-production of mods for sale, I do like being able to craft blues for characters that I am leveling and to be able to use what I craft for at least some of my appearances.

for detailed information read the guides linked in my signature, however the short version is....

You've discovered what I say at the end of my "best crew skills" guide (final section); that attempting to craft equipment for use while leveling is a fruitless effort: too much down time and too many credits spent. HOWEVER, once you have a corral of characters with all six crafting skills and sufficient materials acquisition, you can craft whatever you want for whatever character you want.

As to credits making, crafting is a significant investment, but once invested it is head and shoulders above gathering and mission skills in profitability.

To answer your titular question: armormech is good for crafting...

Armormech: good for non-force users as you can craft armor while leveling*; good for shield/absorb heavy tanks as you can craft augments; good for tanks in general as you can craft "resistive" armorings; OK for DPS and healers as you can craft mastery augments (theorycrafters say otherwise)

*: this is assuming that you have a max skill armormech and create a new character that you want to gear while leveling. Crafted gear IS superior to anything you will find elsewhere, but you must have the skill and the materials available and craft the equipment so that when the character hits the level requirement for the gear it is waiting for the character.

And if you really want to make a lot of Mk-10 augmentation kits, you'll find armormech is useful.

You'll want armormech, biochem, and synthweaving (take underworld trading with one too or with two). Then a gathering character with bioharvesting, archaeology, scavenging. Run around gathering material (sort of a three in one deal there). Run missions for the grade 10 bonding stuff like travella cloth (vendor prices are too much and ignore the gtn) while you're out and about on the gatherer . Then log on the ones with armormech biochem and artifice to make the bonded attachments. You can kick out a lot of augmentation slot components that way.