How did the Sith get defeated after the Old Republic?

Reeny

The Ruusan Reformation happened after a completely different Sith War. The one against the Brotherhood of Darkness.

They have no bearing on this.

What we know is that Kaan and his brotherhood reconquered Korriban. Whatever happened completely removed the presence of the Sith Empire from the planet. Either the Sith lost control of the Empire and the other Empirials became part of the Republic (which would explain why the Imperial accent in TOR is the same as the Coruscantian accent the Galactic Republic) or something else destroyed the presence of the Sith Empire utterly on the planet. And considering this is the seat of the Dark Council, this would have to be major.

Exactly. So the Republic must win this war, or else they conquer Korriban. Oh, and I know that they are two different wars, but my point is the Republic is still alive and well during that time, so they must win this war.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its kinda obvious.

The Empire destroyed itself, not the Republic. The Republic never stood a chance against the well prepared army and large resources of the Empire.

Yes, the Republic is very strong and there lots of examples of battles being won heroicly.

After some many many years, the Emperor [who is believed to be from the time Naga Sadow and Ludo Kressh who survived the war and re-stablished at Dromund Kaas] , dissapeared for his own personal purpposes, seeking more power.

And we all know, specially the one's that have played a Sith character till the end, know that their weakness was the love of power, even to the point of destroying themselves.

I believe, that after the emperor dissapeared, the Dark Council obviously became encharge of the whole Empire, but them being so selfish destroyed each other, and obviously exposing the empires weakness, and finally destroying that empire....

[sorry if some of my english is bad]

Edited by Athred

First the Republic did not get their symbol from Sith Empires. They copied the Bendu symbol to express unity. Second, the OP is talking about Sith Empire sith (the ******* down syndrome sith) not Bane or Palpatine sith.

Oh and that symbol just happens to look like the Sith Empire symbol?

That's totally something that happens.

Hey guys, let's use the symbol of the Empire that we spent the last century fighting and that completely razed Coruscant because it shows unity better than our symbol.

Also, looks like you know **** about Sith lore. Both Bane and Palps respect the Sith Empire and consider it the Sith at their peak according to the Book of the Sith. They're also the only incarnation of the Sith that managed to completely invade Coruscant and subjugate it. Other incarnations like the Brotherhood of Darkness or the Imperial Remnant never got close.

Oh and that symbol just happens to look like the Sith Empire symbol?

That's totally something that happens.

Hey guys, let's use the symbol of the Empire that we spent the last century fighting and that completely razed Coruscant because it shows unity better than our symbol.

Also, looks like you know **** about Sith lore. Both Bane and Palps respect the Sith Empire and consider it the Sith at their peak according to the Book of the Sith. They're also the only incarnation of the Sith that managed to completely invade Coruscant and subjugate it. Other incarnations like the Brotherhood of Darkness or the Imperial Remnant never got close.

? Darth Ruins empire competely controlled the entire galaxy for around 1000 years. The only other empire to Rule other then Palpatines

Edited by Girdeux

At this stage of the SW timeline, the Galactic Republic is a viable threat to the Sith Empire, so the majority of Sith are going to at least partly suspend their in-fighting in order to overcome the external threat. However, there will always be individuals within the ranks who do not march to the collective beat (Lord Grathan, for example).

If the Republic gets the upper hand and starts winning, then the Sith will probably either have an internal revolution (attitude: get rid of the losers at the top who are getting us beaten) or further suspend the in-fighting to stabilise the struggle.

If the Empire gets the upper hand, the Galactic Republic becomes less of a threat in which case the in-fighting resumes, probably before the Republic is actually beaten - because if you do not knife your opponent in the back now while you have the chance, he will do it to you when he can. That in-fighting would fracture the Empire, draining its strength and allowing the Republic to recover and probably triumph.

That is the problem with the Empire before the time of the "Rule of 2". The Sith are at the top of the power chain, and fundamentally they are more driven by personal power than collective victory.

I have not read the Bane series of books, but I think the above poster is right. The Empire will collapse under its own weight. You can compare it to the former Soviet Union. The US did not actually defeat the USSR. They collapsed from within due to a number of factors. With the Sith Empire, I believe that they spread their forces too thin trying to take to many objectives. They also have too much infighting and power struggles. Their leaders only have half their attention focused on the enemy. The other half is focused on which underling is scheming to overthrow them. I think that they Sith Inquisitor storyline is the perfect example. I will not give any spoilers here for those that have not played the SI story yet.

The bottom line is that the Old Republic will defeat the Sith Empire not because of military strength but more because, despite the enormous bureaucracy, the republic is more cohesive and stable than the Empire.

reminds me more of hitler and his reich. But also, because the Empires Sith, want Power, they dont care for the others, they all want ultimate power, and to achieve that, they need to overthrow other sith.

Funnily enough both Lord Bane and Lord Sidious look up to the Sith Empire and wish for something similar, this is revealed in Book of Sith: Secrets from the Dark Side, and claim it was one of the most successful incarnations of the Sith Order ever.

Wait, you mean he wanted 1000 Sith?

Because Sidious ruled the GE, I can't tell how he wanted it to be like the SE if the GE was much more successful.

The obvious answer to this question is that the Republic will win, simply because the Republic is the faction that still exists by the time of the prequels, while the Empire doesn't. It's such an obvious answer that I have to wonder if it's actually not going to be the case at all.

The "Empire and Republic merge" theory that some people have posted here is pretty interesting. One way it could happen is this: The Sith Empire is more than just the Sith (although many Sith refuse to acknowledge it). As you play through the game, it's clearly shown how the Sith and the Imperial Military are two separate institutions (and they don't always get along). So what if, one day, the Imperial citizenry, plus Imperial Military and/or Imperial Intelligence suddenly decide they don't want to be ruled by Sith anymore, and launch a coup d'etat of sorts.

After overthrowing the Sith, the military will probably take over. They could decide to carry on the war against the Republic. Think the July Plot against Hitler, where some of the plotters felt that Hitler was making a real mess of the war and that Germany could do better if someone else was in charge.

Or they might enter into negotiations with the Republic that result in the Empire being peacefully absorbed into the Republic. It's a win of sorts for both sides, since the Empire ceases to exist, but at the same time they impart some of their identity on to the Republic.

It's just a theory. :p

To those who keeps saying read the Bane books, Kaan's brotherhood of darkness was originally started by Darth Ruin, which happens after the Empire in this game.

I don't remember it exactly, but I thought this empire will end with civil war

To those who keeps saying read the Bane books, Kaan's brotherhood of darkness was originally started by Darth Ruin, which happens after the Empire in this game.

I don't remember it exactly, but I thought this empire will end with civil war

Wrong. Darth Ruin's SE's fall was the start of the BoH. I think.

That is what I meant, as in the BoH in the Bane books came after Darth Ruin's Empire. I guess my point was, for those who keeps saying read the Bane books, was that the BoH, nor the empire before it (Darth Ruin), was obviously not the one in the game

Wrong. Darth Ruin's SE's fall was the start of the BoH. I think.

the Bane novels start about 1000 years before ANH. during that time, the sith empire is gone, and Korriban falls to the republic (again, one of the opening chapters in the first Bane books has Kaan and two other top sith on the planet after it is recaptured). no mention of Dromund Kaas anyhere. also the knight errant book gives a look at sith space (and those sith in there are warring family members!)

in the Darth Plagueis book (which i highly recommend), it's mentioned that since Bane, there was either 30 or 33 sith lords in the "family tree" (meaning Bane's rule of 2 lineage). another thing mentioned in there is that not all lords stuck to the rule of 2 (Maul was around with Plagueis and sidious.)

i want to know 2 things.

first, i echo the TC, as what happened to the empire between TOR and Bane.

second, i'd like to know all of the sith lords in the bane lineage from him to vader.

The most logical outcome, and the most probable, is that the Dark Council turn on each other after the players (rep and sith) kill the emperor after he comes back. The reps kill him for obvious reasons and the sith kill him for... well power for inqs, money for mercs, some bogus reason for agents and he sends the SW on a stupid suicide mission or something.

Already, in the time of the game at the moment, the temporary power vacuum of the emperor is being fought over. When he really dies, there will be a full-fledged civil war.

EDIT: The way the empire is structured, it might splinter into multiple small factions that get assimilated to the republic, eventually.

Edited by Jandi

The obvious reason Sith would kill the Emperor is because, well the Emperor's end goal is to consume all the force in the galaxy, to hoard it and live forever, to destroy the republic, destroy the empire, to kill every living thing, rule the void alone, and know peace.

The only reason anybody follows him is because his plans haven't come to light. When they do, he's dead meat.

After the events of the game [or during, who knows] the Republic likely collapses [as it's done many, many times in Star Wars history] the Empire collapses [fragments ruled by those powerful enough to control them.] and one side will absorb the other over time, only to collapse again and be remade later.

So there's no 'clear cut' victory.