Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Merge Discussion Thread

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Server Merge Discussion Thread
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

shalea
09.14.2017 , 03:14 AM | #2781
Quote: Originally Posted by fushnchips View Post
I'm not paying a sub for a story that's for sure any story based game should be a 1 off purchase with paid expansions but Bioware have said that they are going to refocus on Operations and other group content like they should have for the last 3 years but got stuck in some story mode delusional state that they learned a very hard lesson from.
See I kinda agree with some of this, Mostly the part of just focusing on one part of the game for three years. Focusing on story exclusivly while it did bring people in it didn't keep them. I never understood why they didn't rotate their focus, Say one month story, The next FP's, Then PVP and then OP's. Surely that would have been better for retention?
refer link yay free stuff

http://www.swtor.com/r/y4QdLb

Tisaren
09.14.2017 , 05:12 AM | #2782
Quote: Originally Posted by fushnchips View Post
Bioware have said that they are going to refocus on Operations and other group content
Yes, and that's most likely what they'll be doing from now on, for the most part anyway.

As I wrote before, creating story rich content is much more expensive than creating WZ's and OPs, especially if each class would get their own story. I don't see that happening ever again.

Let's face it, what's cheaper than giving players a map (makes me think of those old deathmatch mods my brother used to make) and have them beat each other's heads in?

I'm pretty sure the class story part of the game still has the most replay value (level 1-50), much more so than PvP or OPs. And (although I have no proof) I'm also pretty sure that (class) story is still the type of content players want to see added the most. Unfortunately, it's just way too expensive to create.

LunaticFringer
09.14.2017 , 05:41 AM | #2783
I personally don't think Merges are the answer. Merges, way back, caused quite a few problems and lost us players in the process. I for one still feel an entire community was destroyed when a lot of roleplayers were forced to leave an already populated Lord Adraas Server to The Ebon Hawk. We never got most of those players back.

I realize logistics of doing it is likely a nightmare-- but one must weigh carefully the worst case scenario versus the best case scenario when going with server merges.

*Forced is bad (no options/choices You're going where we send you)
*Planned is good (window/little leeway given to the players to 1 of 2 destinations)
*Flexible is best (1 time moves to any remaining server)

I still think with seeing how the previous cross faction warzone worked... we should've seen more cross faction implementation to group finder for run of the mill content (cutting out cut scenes if needed) and we'd already be solving this problem.

Of course, this is exactly why so many of us back during Beta pleaded and begged from x-server queues as well.

IE... I'm not a fan of merges. I'd rather see you all working on alternative means of fixing the problem.
"The Utinni must flow!" ~Jlen Storm, The Star Forge!
Refer a Friend Link
The Dream is Playable Jawas and a Twerking Emote!

Jedi_riches
09.14.2017 , 07:00 AM | #2784
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
At least if they merge the servers, the MMO content they are concentrating on won't go to waste and the solo story guys can still play their remaining content, with the option of doing MMO content.
It's about choice, I don't want servers shutting because once they are gone, they are gone and players who don't care about group finder or a large population have nowhere they can move to.

If Bioware fix the guild transfer, by all means offer guilds a deal to transfer to their preferred server but don't force people who don't want to move to merge, as mostly you will not gain very much from these players at all other than to annoy them as these player won't be using group finder anyway the only thing you manage is to make them want to quit the game.
How PvP balance is achieved - Bioware please nerf paper its OP, scissors are fine as they are.
Regards,
Rock

bdatt
09.14.2017 , 07:31 AM | #2785
Quote: Originally Posted by Tisaren View Post
I'm pretty sure the class story part of the game still has the most replay value (level 1-50), much more so than PvP or OPs. And (although I have no proof) I'm also pretty sure that (class) story is still the type of content players want to see added the most. Unfortunately, it's just way too expensive to create.
I have 11 characters so I have done the 8 class stories a total of 11 times.

I have probably run each operation, across multiple difficulties, a couple hundred times each.

The major problem with continued "class" story is that it would be one time like Rishi. I have done each of those quests once. That is not very good development bang for the buck in my opinion.

We're the outlander. They will never go back to 8 class stories. The best we'll get is a brief reference to our original identity like in KOTET 9 (I think). But I agree they do need a compelling story arc in an expansion to bring back that group, and significant group content to keep an active community between the story expansions.

And some server merges. On JC last night < 80 folks one instance, only chatter was gold sellers, and only 7 operation instances between both factions. On Harb there were two fleet instances, many operations going on, and chatter (albeit juvenile). JC is dead and needs to be merged somewhere.

Vexev
09.14.2017 , 07:55 AM | #2786
Im sorry if this has been discussed, but swtor gods please do something about the dying servers (shadowlands is this example) with respect to pvp.

Cant we have a queue that is multi-server and just tag players with their server name for points and just make rankings and rewards cover the entire playerbase?

shadowlands early this morning 830am est to 930am est on the imperial side, only one instance, and we had less than 15 logged in and zero warzone pops for the entire hour. i know its early, but this time in years past used to always get warzones to pop fast with people getting in a few games before work or school.

been like this for months...

Bioware i love this game please do something!
Odysseous <Empire of Taw>
Fireteam B.O.B "Born on Belsavis!"
The Art of Warfare www.TAW.net
Fortune Favors the Bold.

TUXs
09.14.2017 , 08:22 AM | #2787
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
Heh.. well I don't see his posts unless he is quoted, but I do not ever recall seeing any post from TUX that is RP oriented. So TUXs is not an RPer.. so he has little or no sympathy. He will throw out some lip service when he is in a good mood, but that is about it as far as I can tell. He is however a PvP transplant to Harbinger, and he can and will "white knight" for Harbinger social behaviors.. no matter what, while often (not always) patting other forum members on the back who take the time to bash the game or the studio or it's staff. Clearly he moves within his own little PvP social channels on Harbinger.. and it is actually PvPers who are often the people attacking RPers.... attacks probably trying to provoke a fight with the RPers in hopes of some PvP/Duels.
Very courageous of you to spread lies about me while blocking me from replying to your personal attacks.

I have NEVER attacked an RPer and I don't give a flip if someone wants to RP...I don't RP, but I don't see anything wrong with it, I'm just too busy doing other stuff to have any time to RP. I support them, I talk very rationally with them and I ask for their input on things because I don't know what their concerns are, but because they are a part of our playerbase, their opinions do matter, and unlike you with PvPers, I recognize the value of EVERY player, despite what they like to do in-game. Like crafting, RP is just something I don't do any of in an MMO because I enjoy other aspects of MMOS more.

You're making up lies for the sake of creating drama, the one thing I despise more than anything else. You throw around the word "toxic" quite frequently...there is nothing more toxic imo than drama.

You need to do a better job of ignoring me...
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 FREE transfer 7-day FREE sub FREE Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

Andryah
09.14.2017 , 08:26 AM | #2788
Quote: Originally Posted by Totemdancer View Post
If you mainly play on either EH or Harbinger, what is your problem if other servers were being merged into both of those if you aren't going to lose everything.
First, I think it is prudent to remember that there are a number of narratives being pressed in this, and earlier, thread about server merges. So let's identify a few of them so I can comment in context as to my views on each.

1) Give us Megaservers NAO! - yeah... this request makes little sense. Why? A) The studio has already stated clearly that they will not go this route. B) it IS an approach that requires implementation early in design, not 5 or 6 years later. Those MMOs that do deploy a form of mega server... did so from the outset... not after the fact.

2) Merge all the other servers into Harbinger NAO! - yeah.. this request has actually lost some favor in the discussion as we discuss the issues around actual health by server, and which servers might actually warrant being folded into another server.

3) 1 Server for each region, NA-W, NA-E, EU - yeah.. while I in principle have no objection to this line of thinking, it is short sighted as it assumes that populations will never go up again in this MMO and that extra "head room" needs to be planned for.

4) All Servers except Harb and Tre are already dead and need to be folded into either Harb or Tre, depending on region - yeah.. this is based on a number of false premises about what = dead server and very much has been used as a strawman for why to go with option 3. It's false because while all servers are down in population from almost 2 years when 4.0 dropped... where there was a population surge large enough (and pre-90cc transfers) that a number of the servers had to actually be reconfigured in the weeks after 4.0 dropped to increase capacity..... many of the servers are still active and have healthy communities (the old PvP servers do not, and I am NOT referring to them.

5) Close and fold the old PvP server NAO! They are Dead - While I agree that these servers would meet most peoples definition of "dead server", there are still players playing on them and some have even commented here to that fact and explained why they do so. So at the end of the day... this is really a studio assessment and decision NOT players. As long as there are players that do play on them, and are happy where they are... it makes no sense to move them just to please players on other servers somehow. I'm sure the studio will shutter the old PvP servers when they feel the need has arrived... and not likely prior to fixing the issue with how to move guilds intact.

There are other narratives too.. this being a very long thread and about the 5th one in the last year or so... but the above represent some of the main aggressive narratives in discussion. I say "aggressive" because these narratives tend to be pushed hard by PvPers or Radiers who rely on random grouping for said content. Of course these players will feel that way as they are guildless or in a small useless guild for end game grouping and hence must rely on LFG and random grouping. They deliberately refuse to admit that theirs is NOT the only preference in play style and type of server in a game being played by many thousands of players each day. Note: these players can freely move to any server they like for almost no CC cost. Some refuse to and insist the studio merge servers instead.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

Andryah
09.14.2017 , 08:31 AM | #2789
Quote: Originally Posted by Vexev View Post
Im sorry if this has been discussed, but swtor gods please do something about the dying servers (shadowlands is this example) with respect to pvp.

Cant we have a queue that is multi-server and just tag players with their server name for points and just make rankings and rewards cover the entire playerbase?

shadowlands early this morning 830am est to 930am est on the imperial side, only one instance, and we had less than 15 logged in and zero warzone pops for the entire hour. i know its early, but this time in years past used to always get warzones to pop fast with people getting in a few games before work or school.

been like this for months...

Bioware i love this game please do something!
1) Not exactly prime time you are referring to here. 8:30 AM... most people are either getting ready for work, school, or helping other family members do so. Which is not to say there may not be enough random WZ pops for your needs.

2) If the server you play on no longer meets your requirements.. then transfer. Costs you only 90cc per character, and your free CCs from sub will cover quite a few characters, particularly if you have kept some and not spent them every month on CM goodie bags. Take action to get your needs met. And there is no real need to move all your characters, just the main ones you play daily along with any assets and credits you want to take with you.
When you find yourself surrounded by hostile Clowns... always go for the "Juggler" first.

xordevoreaux
09.14.2017 , 08:31 AM | #2790
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
First, I think it is prudent to remember that there are a number of narratives being pressed in this, and earlier, thread about server merges. So let's identify a few of them so I can comment in context as to my views on each.
Spoiler
Spoiler

Well put, Andryah.
Referral Link: http://www.swtor.com/r/F4XbCd
In English, a leading X on a word is pronounced like a Z. (zorDEVoro).