Cartel Pack Changes Coming with Steadfast Champion Pack on 5/16

EricMusco

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

Currently, when you open a pack you will receive:

• Two items – New pack item(s) and/or Grand Chance Cube(s)
  • Two misc. – Jawa Scraps and Companion Gifts

Starting with the Steadfast Champion pack on May 16th, you will now receive the following:

• One new pack item
  • One Grand Chance Cube

Additionally, packs will now only contain Silver, Gold, and Platinum rarity items. What this change means is that you will more consistently get new pack items (since one is guaranteed in each pack) and you will have a much greater chance of getting Silver, Gold, and Platinum items than you did previously. Our plan moving forward is that we are not going to be making Bronze quality armor sets, decorations, etc. any longer. Our focus is to ensure the new items in each pack are of the highest quality, giving you greater value for your investment.

Let us know what you think! Thanks everyone.

-eric

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without bronze quality items you will cause all remaining items to be hugely devalued. Will pack cost be decreased for the noticeably fewer items, or will it be increased in order to maintain rarity value? Or are you adjusting rarity drop rate down?

Eric,

Wouldn't it be better if you make a decorations in a separate pack instead of combining them with the armor packs In this way the ones that want decorations can buy that pack instead of taking a chance with getting armor, because for me there is no armor lately that I really care for and would much prefer the decorations. I am just a little picky on armor and nothing lately I like.

Hey folks,

Currently, when you open a pack you will receive:

• Two items – New pack item(s) and/or Grand Chance Cube(s)

Starting with the Steadfast Champion pack on May 16th, you will now receive the following:

• One new pack item
  • One Grand Chance Cube

Additionally, packs will now only contain Silver, Gold, and Platinum rarity items. What this change means is that you will more consistently get new pack items (since one is guaranteed in each pack) and you will have a much greater chance of getting Silver, Gold, and Platinum items than you did previously. Our plan moving forward is that we are not going to be making Bronze quality armor sets, decorations, etc. any longer. Our focus is to ensure the new items in each pack are of the highest quality, giving you greater value for your investment.

Let us know what you think! Thanks everyone.

-eric

Bronze items in pack or not... no difference. Silver & Golden rate last time looks like Bronze anyway so no difference. :rak_01:

If there are no Bronze items in the drop tables, won't that mean Silver items are now effectively Bronze rarity, just with a different colored icon?

Like how a coffee shop I worked at had Tall, Large and Extra Large but not medium or small.

Did we not have similar changes in the not so distant past?

You removed the bronze items in Jan 2016 with this post here

You then added them back again in June 2016 with this post here

Now you want to go back again to the Jan 2016 version?

I hope rest of game direction will go back to 2016 or even time after release :rolleyes:

• Dev Post
If there are no Bronze items in the drop tables, won't that mean Silver items are now effectively Bronze rarity, just with a different colored icon?

In the way that the most common pack drops were bronze, yes that will now be silver. However, internally we view the rarity of an item to be a reflection of the art time and quality of each item (this can be subjective to the player though based on what they "like"). So although you will receive more silver than items than before (instead of bronze), those items should be of a higher quality.

Eric,

Wouldn't it be better if you make a decorations in a separate pack instead of combining them with the armor packs In this way the ones that want decorations can buy that pack instead of taking a chance with getting armor, because for me there is no armor lately that I really care for and would much prefer the decorations. I am just a little picky on armor and nothing lately I like.

What you are asking about sounds like the Bronze / Silver / Gold <type> packs, such as the Silver Decorations pack, etc. Those types of packs the team puts on and off at various points in the year. I will pass on your interest for the deco version.

-eric

Edited by EricMusco

So were the cartel maket team deliberately making bad items that no one wanted for the bronze category.

It seems to get rid of bronze items all you do is rebrand them as silver and vastly increase the drop rate of silver keeping platinum as super rare. So can you explain what removing bronze items means, will this quality of item no longer be made cause they weren't very good and if that is the case, why were they being made in the first place except to reduce the chance of people getting what they wanted.

Ah, but see the key point is that by calling them the higher rarity, they can charge more for them in Collections. By putting Platinum on the end, we have the same system we had initially, but they make more money.

In the way that the most common pack drops were bronze, yes that will now be silver. However, internally we view the rarity of an item to be a reflection of the art time and quality of each item (this can be subjective to the player though based on what they "like"). So although you will receive more silver than items than before (instead of bronze), those items should be of a higher quality.

I didn't think I'd ever see one of you guys admit that bronze-quality items were made ugly or from lazy reskins on purpose...

Seriously, haven't we been through this already before? And then everyone complained about what a ripoff rebranding previously 'Bronze' quality items as 'Silver' to fit the new pack rules was, and so you put Bronze items back. And now we're backtracking again? We all know how this will play out again. Silver will just become the new Bronze in terms of availability, with a coincidentally large increase in the number of Cartel Coins needed to unlock Silver items in Collections over Bronze. Hmmm... I wonder, who benefits from this arrangement? It's definitely not the players...

Edited by AscendingSky

Ah, but see the key point is that by calling them the higher rarity, they can charge more for them in Collections. By putting Platinum on the end, we have the same system we had initially, but they make more money.

That's the kind of smart ideas that get's you ahead in life;)

Young man, have you considered a future in real estate?

Edited by AshlaBoga

This is exactly it. What's really going on is they are eliminating the 60 CC unlock option. I don't really support this change, for the same reasons I didn't support it last time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this will, drastically, reduce the price of the Grand Chance Cubes... I sold one, last night for 640k.

Depends on how the Cubes likelihood of dropping is currently weighed. If the present chance of getting one in a pack (as opposed to an actual pack item) is lower than 50%, then yes, Cubes will presumably go up in supply, causing them to devalue on the GTN. If the current drop rate is 50% exactly, then the overall value will probably stay the same, and if it's higher than 50% currently, they'll get more rare and the price therefore might go up.

Any chance to mention and address the fact of only two armor sets per pack? It;s not like they're of superior quality to most stuff we get on a monthly basis.

Like someone told me :rolleyes: they have no outfit designer right now and they sharing all remaining outfits now into packs. And that's why next one got only two armor sets

What you are asking about sounds like the Bronze / Silver / Gold <type> packs, such as the Silver Decorations pack, etc. Those types of packs the team puts on and off at various points in the year. I will pass on your interest for the deco version.

-eric

Eric, put me down for this suggestion as well. I need more decorations!

Silver quality at Bronze drop rates (adjusting for the "one is always a Chance Cube now" change), alright that's a fair enough pitch - although, as you mentioned, that "quality" element is pretty subjective, there have definitely been Packs where my favorite armor was a Bronze one.

As others have mentioned, this does have the effect of shifting the Unlock costs upward for the most common drops, so I hope the quality of what we see shows through. We really only have your word that Silver and Gold items are getting the same amount of TLC in the design process that they used to under the previous tiers.

I didn't think I'd ever see one of you guys admit that bronze-quality items were made ugly or from lazy reskins on purpose...

Seems like a bit of a jump to go from "take less time / effort relative to that put in on Silver / Gold / Plat items" to "ugly / lazy on purpose." :p

EDIT:

So were the cartel maket team deliberately making bad items that no one wanted for the bronze category.

Jeez, people really are pouncing to try to turn "we put different amounts of time / effort into the four different tiers" into "the lowest tier was deliberately garbage."

Edited by DarthDymond

Lower the unlock costs for silver and gold items to that of the current bronze and silver items respectively. Otherwise this comes off as a money grab.

Oh, and didn't we have this already, a year or two ago? Remember how that didn't go over well at all?

• Dev Post

Hey folks,

The team is aware of the concern regarding collection unlock prices and will be talking about options. No changes are currently planned, but we are looking at what we can do in the future. I will pass on any updates I receive from the team!

-eric